Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow 11:46 - Mar 30 with 1522 viewsButty101

If you havent seen the proposed changes, they are shocking for the likes of Saints. Looks like the EFL Cup will be binned.

Liverpool who are 7th would get a wild card into the champs league.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 12:17 - Mar 30 with 1484 viewssolent_toffee

Is anyone remotely surprised? It would be a far better solution of they done one and left everyone to get on with it. Instead it’s manipulated to ensure that certain clubs ie United and Liverpool get the best of both worlds.
Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 12:41 - Mar 30 with 1459 viewsKennington

My view is it should be champions only. How can you finish 4th or even 7th and be in a champions league? Once that rule came in anything like the new changed don’t surprise me at all.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 12:48 - Mar 30 with 1447 viewsSaintNick

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 12:41 - Mar 30 by Kennington

My view is it should be champions only. How can you finish 4th or even 7th and be in a champions league? Once that rule came in anything like the new changed don’t surprise me at all.

Time to tell the big clubs they are either in or out, if the Premier League and the other authorities and clubs stood up to them and said that the English format will not change and so if thy want to play in the Champions league they still have to meet their Premier League and FA & League cup commitments that would show some strength.

The likes of Spurs & Arsenal want their cake and eat it, if they dont qualify for the Champions league and finish 6th suddenly they need to win a cup and make sure they are at least in the Europa League.

Tis thng needs to come to a head otherwise step by step our domestic competitions will be eroded and we will all just be canon fodder to the big clubs so they can get more games in and make more money from a tv audience.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 13:14 - Mar 30 with 1423 viewsdirk_doone

If the EFL Cup is not scrapped, it sounds like it will become a lot easier for clubs like Saints to win because the teams in Europe will be fielding their U23 teams if they compete in it at all. I seem to recall there was at least one year when Man United were given permission not to compete in the EFL Cup because they were in a world club competition. I can't see clubs in this country accepting the scrapping of such a money-spinning competition as the EFL Cup anyway. The Football League simply wouldn't allow it to happen.

I don't think changing the 2-leg semi-finals is much of a problem. At one time, the League Cup and UEFA Cup both had 2-leg finals and they were abandoned in favour of single matches. Perhaps the semi-finals could be held at the grounds that used to host the FA Cup semi-finals, like Villa Park.

The teams in the Champions League are really going to have their resources stretched, which might open up more opportunities for smaller clubs to do well in the domestic competitions like the FA Cup.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2021 13:25]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 15:17 - Mar 30 with 1301 viewsSadoldgit

They really need to call it something else. As said earlier, most of the clubs in it aren’t champions. Just call it the European Super Cup or something. If they really want it so badly let them leave and sort something out for themselves. They want the beat of both worlds which does nothing for every other club.
Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 15:45 - Mar 30 with 1276 viewsPaleRider

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 12:48 - Mar 30 by SaintNick

Time to tell the big clubs they are either in or out, if the Premier League and the other authorities and clubs stood up to them and said that the English format will not change and so if thy want to play in the Champions league they still have to meet their Premier League and FA & League cup commitments that would show some strength.

The likes of Spurs & Arsenal want their cake and eat it, if they dont qualify for the Champions league and finish 6th suddenly they need to win a cup and make sure they are at least in the Europa League.

Tis thng needs to come to a head otherwise step by step our domestic competitions will be eroded and we will all just be canon fodder to the big clubs so they can get more games in and make more money from a tv audience.

My view in a nutshell! Maybe the clubs involved should even be made to form new franchises to play in European competition. This doesn't just kill the game in England but also many of the now smaller leagues are shadows of their former selves (Scotland, Holland etc.).
Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 16:43 - Mar 30 with 1232 viewskingslandstand1

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 15:17 - Mar 30 by Sadoldgit

They really need to call it something else. As said earlier, most of the clubs in it aren’t champions. Just call it the European Super Cup or something. If they really want it so badly let them leave and sort something out for themselves. They want the beat of both worlds which does nothing for every other club.

The problem is the EPL cannot in it's present state live without the Man U's and L'pools etc so they will just bow to whatever they want

No matter what traditionalists like most of us on here think, the owners of those "big" clubs couldn't give a sh1t about anybody else, just more shillings in their pockets which the tv companies seem to think we will all think is absolutely wonderful and continue to watch those clubs rather that our own.

If this happens, the game as we know it over here and even some of the other European leagues will slowly die

As Dirk said earlier they let Man U pull out of one of the cups (I thought it was the FA Cup, but stand corrected) for a one off game that no one can remember purely for cash. That tells the story
Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 16:58 - Mar 30 with 1209 viewsobelisk

Can't remember the last time I watched a Champions League game. Years ago probably. The money-grabbing fest just doesn't interest me at all. Most of the teams involved aren't even champions anyway. If the prima donnas want to sod off and play each other all the time then let them go.
If the EFL Cup gets binned to cater for the greed-merchants than that'll be another nail in football's coffin.
Login to get fewer ads

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 17:58 - Mar 30 with 1179 viewsSadoldgit

There was some discussion about a super league on TalkSport a while back and while the people involved agreed that it was interesting to see the best teams around Europe in a cup competition, the real joy in football comes in the week in week out competition against teams here. There is always more interest when you are playing in a derby or against a team at the top of the table or fighting to stay up. We all have mates who support other teams and look forward to putting one over on them. How many people outside of the supporters would regularly watch a league match between Arsenal and Bayern Munich? I watch MOTD because I want to see how everyone else I’m our league is doing. I am sure there would be a market for it in places like China, but would Liverpool sell their soul for a share of an audience half way round the world?
[Post edited 31 Mar 2021 12:55]
Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 18:44 - Mar 30 with 1144 viewsPaleRider

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 17:58 - Mar 30 by Sadoldgit

There was some discussion about a super league on TalkSport a while back and while the people involved agreed that it was interesting to see the best teams around Europe in a cup competition, the real joy in football comes in the week in week out competition against teams here. There is always more interest when you are playing in a derby or against a team at the top of the table or fighting to stay up. We all have mates who support other teams and look forward to putting one over on them. How many people outside of the supporters would regularly watch a league match between Arsenal and Bayern Munich? I watch MOTD because I want to see how everyone else I’m our league is doing. I am sure there would be a market for it in places like China, but would Liverpool sell their soul for a share of an audience half way round the world?

Yes
Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 18:48 - Mar 30 with 1142 viewsBicester_North

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 16:43 - Mar 30 by kingslandstand1

The problem is the EPL cannot in it's present state live without the Man U's and L'pools etc so they will just bow to whatever they want

No matter what traditionalists like most of us on here think, the owners of those "big" clubs couldn't give a sh1t about anybody else, just more shillings in their pockets which the tv companies seem to think we will all think is absolutely wonderful and continue to watch those clubs rather that our own.

If this happens, the game as we know it over here and even some of the other European leagues will slowly die

As Dirk said earlier they let Man U pull out of one of the cups (I thought it was the FA Cup, but stand corrected) for a one off game that no one can remember purely for cash. That tells the story

It was the FA cup that Man United pulled out of. In about 2000

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 18:58 - Mar 30 with 1134 viewsTripleNiemi

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 12:41 - Mar 30 by Kennington

This

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 21:22 - Mar 30 with 1046 viewskingslandstand1

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 17:58 - Mar 30 by Sadoldgit

"but would Liverpool seek their soul for a share of an audience half way round the world?"

Yes, and their supporters would be able to say how loved they are by an even wider television audience
Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 11:02 - Mar 31 with 886 viewsstmichael

Agree Nick..
Also why bin the EFL cup?
Have the cup for all the clubs not in the Champions league..

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 11:40 - Mar 31 with 874 viewskingolaf

Why do t they just form their European Super League?

It wouldn’t interest real football fans. Hopefully it would lead to clubs relocating their franchise to the Far East lock, stock and barrel.

Time for the Premier League to indulge in some bluff calling.
Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 12:30 - Mar 31 with 857 viewsSaintNick

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 21:22 - Mar 30 by kingslandstand1

"but would Liverpool seek their soul for a share of an audience half way round the world?"

Yes, and their supporters would be able to say how loved they are by an even wider television audience

Lets get the record straight about Liverpool fans and for that matter Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal Man Utd & Spurs.

Each of those has a hard core of fans who love their clubs and like us abhor what is happening to the game and their clubs part in trying to crush the rest of us.

The Champions League is aimed at the masses who follow those clubs on TV and have never been near Anfield or Old Trafford et al, some because they live the other side of the World and others because they are the new breed of fan in the UK.

The Liverpool fans we hate arent the ones that have followed their clubs through thick and thin over the years, they are the ones that support them on tv and are vocal on social media.

Speak to a Liverpool fan of my generation from Merseyside about how they feel their birthright has been sold from under them and they cant get in to see their team at Anfield let alone a cup final when tickets are distributed to the world wide fanbase to make sure that they get something for their yearly memberships etc.

I'm mainly mentioning Liverpool because i have personal knowledge, but as I said the other big clubs have the same issues.

We can buy into our club as and when we like down here, give up your season ticket and it is not a problem, you can get in back in a few years time when things pick up, at Liverpool & Man Utd give it up you will struggle to see your club at home once a season.

All im saying here is dont tar every Liverpool/United/Arsenal fan etc with the same brush

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 13:48 - Mar 31 with 816 viewsBicester_North

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 12:30 - Mar 31 by SaintNick

Lets get the record straight about Liverpool fans and for that matter Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal Man Utd & Spurs.

Each of those has a hard core of fans who love their clubs and like us abhor what is happening to the game and their clubs part in trying to crush the rest of us.

The Champions League is aimed at the masses who follow those clubs on TV and have never been near Anfield or Old Trafford et al, some because they live the other side of the World and others because they are the new breed of fan in the UK.

The Liverpool fans we hate arent the ones that have followed their clubs through thick and thin over the years, they are the ones that support them on tv and are vocal on social media.

Speak to a Liverpool fan of my generation from Merseyside about how they feel their birthright has been sold from under them and they cant get in to see their team at Anfield let alone a cup final when tickets are distributed to the world wide fanbase to make sure that they get something for their yearly memberships etc.

I'm mainly mentioning Liverpool because i have personal knowledge, but as I said the other big clubs have the same issues.

We can buy into our club as and when we like down here, give up your season ticket and it is not a problem, you can get in back in a few years time when things pick up, at Liverpool & Man Utd give it up you will struggle to see your club at home once a season.

All im saying here is dont tar every Liverpool/United/Arsenal fan etc with the same brush

Liverpool and Man U are the worst by far in terms of numbers of these cretinous parasites though.
And in terms of the clubs exploiting their positions with acts of grasping, drooling greed.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2021 13:50]

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 18:11 - Mar 31 with 756 viewscocklebreath

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 12:30 - Mar 31 by SaintNick

I don’t like the Liverpool fans who knocked down a wall and killed a load of Italians, my opinion would be different if they apologised but they blamed Chelsea fans. Saints might have won a euro cup if we hadn’t been banned. Scummy fans

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 20:42 - Mar 31 with 696 viewsVagina_Dentata

The much talked about “European super league” cannot be far off now. I’m sure there would be much disturbance at first for clubs of our ilk, before eventually stabilising and returning to a level of competition that’s more playable to fans and clubs like us.

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

Champions League Changes to be confirmed tomorrow on 20:58 - Mar 31 with 686 viewskingslandstand1

Yes I referred to Liverpool "fans" but primarily because SOG referred to them in his post, and yes there are a majority % of those fans that would fall in to the category that you are defending as well as the other "big six" clubs you mention

My experience of Liverpool fans are mostly those that come from down here and those I hear on radio phone in's and would fit in to the category referred to. It's more a comment about the club who, by all of their actions in trying to get say, a separate Euro League with a "by invitation only" membership, or "let's have more subs cos we have a bigger better squad than anybody else" ruling so cn change things to their advantage, or the continual moaning from Klopp about the number of games they have to play and are tired so change the fixture list to help them despite having that larger (quality) squad than others

It's just the whole attitude that comes out of that club whether it's looking for the sympathy vote, or the look at me I'm the best attitude that eminates from the club as well as the continual love in from the press

It's not just from down here that dislike towards them come from

Just read the posts on the BBC web site or the number of memes (or whatever they call them) doing the rounds at the joy of seeing Liverpool go on that Anfield losing streak and you will see the general disdain around towards that club from all over the country so we can't all be wrong
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024