Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Northern Ireland 12:48 - Apr 8 with 1540 viewsdirk_doone

Well this was wishful thinking:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56159978

Violence in Northern Ireland is very much in the news again. Hopefully, we can keep our troops out of it but the police are in for a torrid time:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/07/northern-ireland-dishonesty-over

[Post edited 8 Apr 2021 13:01]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Northern Ireland on 13:29 - Apr 8 with 1491 viewsKennington

It is very strange that Northern Ireland is seemingly a lawless outpost of the U.K. Where seemingly all sorts that would never be allowed in any other U.K. city is apparently completely fine there. It’s never really mentioned either by any senior minister and broadly the government let the northern Irish do what they like.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Northern Ireland on 14:18 - Apr 8 with 1446 viewsSadoldgit

It’s all summed up by that typically British understated word “Troubles” which seems more so when you consider we weren’t far off it being a civil war.
Northern Ireland on 14:19 - Apr 8 with 1446 viewsgrumpy

Ireland is naturally one country, the problem is that most of it is Catholic 78% (2016 Census) but in the North the majority are Protestant(just)according to 2011 census.
The Protestant population are fiercely loyal to the United Kingdom so the two will always clash at one time or another.
The Good Friday agreement has kept peace on the island but I fear Brexit will damage it.
Northern Ireland on 14:39 - Apr 8 with 1434 viewsSaintsforeverj

Northern Ireland on 14:19 - Apr 8 by grumpy

Ireland is naturally one country, the problem is that most of it is Catholic 78% (2016 Census) but in the North the majority are Protestant(just)according to 2011 census.
The Protestant population are fiercely loyal to the United Kingdom so the two will always clash at one time or another.
The Good Friday agreement has kept peace on the island but I fear Brexit will damage it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/qa-rioting-disorder-happ

According to this, the trouble has been started because a load of MP's attended the funeral of an IRA member and they weren't prosecuted for doing so. In addition, some are apparently upset over the Brexit arrangements creating a border. But again, some of the rioters were under 16 and are simply hooligans arn't they? It's once again just a load of angry protesters and disaffected youth, who wrongly resort to what I would call terrorists acts. I mean throwing petrol bombs at a bus, when there were innocent people on it? At the end of the day, these are just angry hard done by human beings, causing injury and death to innocent people. Totally unnecessary.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2021 14:42]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Northern Ireland on 16:13 - Apr 8 with 1382 viewsBerber

Northern Ireland on 14:39 - Apr 8 by Saintsforeverj

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/qa-rioting-disorder-happ

According to this, the trouble has been started because a load of MP's attended the funeral of an IRA member and they weren't prosecuted for doing so. In addition, some are apparently upset over the Brexit arrangements creating a border. But again, some of the rioters were under 16 and are simply hooligans arn't they? It's once again just a load of angry protesters and disaffected youth, who wrongly resort to what I would call terrorists acts. I mean throwing petrol bombs at a bus, when there were innocent people on it? At the end of the day, these are just angry hard done by human beings, causing injury and death to innocent people. Totally unnecessary.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2021 14:42]

"But again, some of the rioters were under 16 and are simply hooligans arn't they? It's once again just a load of angry protesters and disaffected youth, who wrongly resort to what I would call terrorists acts."

Sadly, that is the pattern of dissent in NI. It was the same in the 1970s right the way through to the protests about Orange marches after the peace Agreement was signed and implemented. The same on both sides. A resident, visiting England described it to me as a host of warring tribes, not just protestants against catholics. The Troubles fostered power bases, that stepped into criminality. The peace agreement did not get rid of any of that power distribution, and the criminal activities remain.

I am unashamedly selfish on this one. Whilst I have sympathy with the loyalists, and would never yield territory whilst anyone involved in the IRA side of the troubles is alive, I don't see really what NI brings to the Union. The only problem with handing the counties back to Eire, would be the hordes of criminals that would then decamp to Liverpool and Manchester. Half of the counties were retained as a double cross at the last minute in the independence negotiations anyway, and this is where the majority of problems occurred during the troubles.

So on that basis, I tend to go along with the prevailing view, keep stumping up the subsidies, hope the problems do not escalate and otherwise, pretend they are not there.
Northern Ireland on 18:06 - Apr 8 with 1315 viewsgrumpy

Quite often young rioters are organised by more sinister organizations.
Northern Ireland on 18:21 - Apr 8 with 1296 views1885_SFC

It's good old marching season in NI soon. That will be fun for the authorities.

Old School is Cool

Northern Ireland on 21:42 - Apr 8 with 1194 viewssolent_toffee

Northern Ireland on 16:13 - Apr 8 by Berber

"But again, some of the rioters were under 16 and are simply hooligans arn't they? It's once again just a load of angry protesters and disaffected youth, who wrongly resort to what I would call terrorists acts."

Sadly, that is the pattern of dissent in NI. It was the same in the 1970s right the way through to the protests about Orange marches after the peace Agreement was signed and implemented. The same on both sides. A resident, visiting England described it to me as a host of warring tribes, not just protestants against catholics. The Troubles fostered power bases, that stepped into criminality. The peace agreement did not get rid of any of that power distribution, and the criminal activities remain.

I am unashamedly selfish on this one. Whilst I have sympathy with the loyalists, and would never yield territory whilst anyone involved in the IRA side of the troubles is alive, I don't see really what NI brings to the Union. The only problem with handing the counties back to Eire, would be the hordes of criminals that would then decamp to Liverpool and Manchester. Half of the counties were retained as a double cross at the last minute in the independence negotiations anyway, and this is where the majority of problems occurred during the troubles.

So on that basis, I tend to go along with the prevailing view, keep stumping up the subsidies, hope the problems do not escalate and otherwise, pretend they are not there.

“I mean throwing petrol bombs at a bus, when there were innocent people on it?”

Sounds like Liverpool fans getting ready for their passionate welcome to the Madrid team bus next week.
Login to get fewer ads

Northern Ireland on 22:02 - Apr 8 with 1176 views1885_SFC

Bunch of w@nkers just copying what they've seen in Bristol. Most of them look 14 or 15 and yobs.

If the water cannons don't work - get the rubber bullets out.

Old School is Cool

Northern Ireland on 09:30 - Apr 9 with 1085 viewsTripleNiemi

Northern Ireland on 18:21 - Apr 8 by 1885_SFC

It's good old marching season in NI soon. That will be fun for the authorities.

Flutes at the ready ffs

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Northern Ireland on 14:21 - Apr 9 with 1026 viewsRon11

Northern Ireland on 22:02 - Apr 8 by 1885_SFC

Bunch of w@nkers just copying what they've seen in Bristol. Most of them look 14 or 15 and yobs.

If the water cannons don't work - get the rubber bullets out.

Hand the lot over to the Eire/Sinn Fein government - they want it anyway and let them deal with it. Instead of putting the British Army in the firing line once again.
Northern Ireland on 14:23 - Apr 9 with 1026 viewsPaleRider

Got to say - get rid. Make it an independent country.
Northern Ireland on 14:46 - Apr 9 with 1017 viewsRon11

Northern Ireland on 14:23 - Apr 9 by PaleRider

Got to say - get rid. Make it an independent country.

Northern Ireland on 15:50 - Apr 9 with 994 viewsPoirot

Ulster is british

I blame the eu scum.
Northern Ireland on 16:08 - Apr 9 with 980 viewsallsaint

Northern Ireland on 15:50 - Apr 9 by Poirot

Ulster is british

I blame the eu scum.

What about Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan?

The meat’s the same, the gravy’s different

Northern Ireland on 17:43 - Apr 9 with 940 viewsTripleNiemi

Northern Ireland on 14:46 - Apr 9 by Ron11

Agreed PaleRider, should be a united Ireland full stop.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 17:44]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Northern Ireland on 17:45 - Apr 9 with 931 views1885_SFC

I think UlsterBaz will be along shortly & have an opinion ;-)

Old School is Cool

Northern Ireland on 21:09 - Apr 9 with 880 viewsgrumpy

Northern Ireland on 17:43 - Apr 9 by TripleNiemi

Agreed PaleRider, should be a united Ireland full stop.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 17:44]

Do you think the Protestants are going to be happy with that?
You would just trade the IRA for a Protestant organization, all sorts of trouble then again.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2021 21:20]
Northern Ireland on 07:32 - Apr 10 with 830 viewsRednWight

There’s an old saying
If you find a solution to the Irish problem the Irish will find another problem

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024