Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great Games Against West Brom 09:59 - Apr 11 with 417 viewsSaintNick

Over the years there have been some great meetings with the Baggies or the Throstles as they were known when I first saw us play them back in the 1970's.

My first sight of them was October 1972 when we won 2-1, the first game I really remember though was the opening day of 75/76 when we beat them 3-0 at the Dell and then I went along with 12,000 other Saints fans to the Hawthorns for the FA Cup game in February 1976.

Over the years we just seem to have had some great games against them, anyone thing of any others

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Great Games Against West Brom on 10:25 - Apr 11 with 387 viewsNumber_58

I still have the scar from where I banged my head on the roof beam when Lallana equalised at the Hawthorns that time.
Great Games Against West Brom on 11:08 - Apr 11 with 364 viewsericofarabia

I think I've been there 5 times, 4 draw and 1 loss. 3 Matches stand out. The 76 5th Round .....12000 away fans Cup Fever!! Besides just how many Saints Fans the other thing that I recall from the match was seeing Phil Lynott on the pitch with his Father in Law and big baggie Leslie Crowther presenting Giant Sized cheque to a local charity, and fans running on the pitch pre match putting scarves on the centre spot?
Mid 80's, the only time I've ever been ejected from a ground! Nothing serious just swearing when they scored early on!. Obviously took no notice of the coppers instructions not to re enter the ground and only turnstile open was at their end so had the classic muted yep and bite lip celebration when Channon equalised👍
Last visit was 2015 ish early season and I think VVD's debut. Absolutely head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch. Couldn't beleive nobody else tried to buy him. Shame he turned into an absolute cahunt.
Late 70s through to mid 80s was always very lively outside the ground, especially getting ambushed on the way back to Smethwick West station!
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 11:10]
Great Games Against West Brom on 11:13 - Apr 11 with 352 viewskingslandstand1

Great Games Against West Brom on 11:08 - Apr 11 by ericofarabia

I think I've been there 5 times, 4 draw and 1 loss. 3 Matches stand out. The 76 5th Round .....12000 away fans Cup Fever!! Besides just how many Saints Fans the other thing that I recall from the match was seeing Phil Lynott on the pitch with his Father in Law and big baggie Leslie Crowther presenting Giant Sized cheque to a local charity, and fans running on the pitch pre match putting scarves on the centre spot?
Mid 80's, the only time I've ever been ejected from a ground! Nothing serious just swearing when they scored early on!. Obviously took no notice of the coppers instructions not to re enter the ground and only turnstile open was at their end so had the classic muted yep and bite lip celebration when Channon equalised👍
Last visit was 2015 ish early season and I think VVD's debut. Absolutely head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch. Couldn't beleive nobody else tried to buy him. Shame he turned into an absolute cahunt.
Late 70s through to mid 80s was always very lively outside the ground, especially getting ambushed on the way back to Smethwick West station!
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 11:10]

The 4-0 defeat sticks with me back in 77 ish. Had to pay a nipper about 2 quid tom "look after my car", which to be fair he did, although he didn't clean it as I'd expected for that sum!

Edit: just looked, October 1979 - Dave Watson's debut! Hardly a good start .............
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 13:16]
Great Games Against West Brom on 12:26 - Apr 11 with 320 viewsTimSaint

Been away to WBA many times and we've done quite well up there when I've been.

We've won the my last 3 - the 3-2 Lemina league game, the 2-1 FA Cup game and the 1-0 Clasie.

The Clasie game was also Grand National day and we went back to the Vine pub to watch it after the game. I not only had the winner One For Arthur (Granddad's name), but was also on Saints Are who got a place - like many other Saints fans in the pub that day !!

SRL last min penalty in about 2013 for a 1-0 win. I remember my mate who didn't go saying he was listening to the radio and they announced 'penalty at the Hawthorns', so as a typical Saints fan, he feared the worst. As they went live to the game for commentary on the pen, SRL was stepping up, so delight that it was a Saints pen, then cheers as it was dispatched.

Also saw Paul Jones let in a howler and Beattie miss a sitter in a 1-0 defeat, which I think was the excuse needed to drop Jones for Niemi

Boufal scored his wonder goal v WBA, but that was obviously at St Mary's.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2021 12:44]

TimSaint

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024