Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kane and unsporting tactics? 17:37 - Jul 13 with 2237 viewsTinman

OK, I can't deny it - Kane has been a top prem striker for a few years and seems ready to easily overtake Rooney's England goal record.
Also - he had a poor tournament - seemed tired, slow, off the mark, but that is not my reason for posting.
May be I have not been watching as much football as I used to but Kane to me is the epitome of unsporting behaviour in England right now. Not because he is the worst at it (he is not by far) but because he has the skill not to resort to certain tactics and as England captain eyes are on him.
Namely, that trawling lagging foot he leaves behind whenever a defender comes near to try and be contacted and if he is touched - even slightly, that fast drawing up of feet and legs so that he does go down then clutches the same place on his shin as if to say to the ref 'I've been fouled - I demand a free kick'.

Maybe I just don't see it in others, maybe I see it in him more given his high profile in the England team and that defenders always close him down and try a tackle.

My point is - if you are such a good player - beat the defence. Why resort to unsportsmanlike conduct with all the pretense? I get little joy in scoring from a free kick that's been unfairly given due to the attacking player being a soft playactor.

Then there is that other dubious tactic of his: in a club game against Brighton in the season he was 'challenging' for a high ball with Lallana. Lallana went up and Kane bent over and backed into him so that when he came down he would land on Kane and make it look like Kane had been fouled. If that was rugby, he would be off. He does it on numerous occasions. I may have ranted about it here at the time. I am staggered that refs still fall for it or that rules have not been changed to stop this. In the Lallana case I would have booked or sent off Kane and given a free kick to Brighton (someone will tell me I would have breached rules as ref in that instance!)

Saturday night I watched the replay of the 1966 final - I only found it when extra time was starting. You saw harsher tackles than Kane goes down from and players just got up and went on with the game. No tell-tale arms up from the culprit that basically says they knew what they were doing, and no complaints, pretending injury, and rolling around to try and get a free kick. The foul happened, the innocent guy got up and resumed his position and the ref gave a free kick - no histrionics.

It's high time this behaviour was stamped out. Let's see fellas play the game and go down only if they can't stay up. I did see a few times in the final that Sterling seemed to go on further than a tackle - maybe because he could and fancied a chance at scoring. That seemed out of character with recent events.

I was pleased to see the standard of refereeing and that many didn't fall for this acting, unlike the premiership refs.

Hey ho, that's off my chest now.
Kane and unsporting tactics? on 21:31 - Jul 13 with 2085 viewsSaintNick

A different age these days and it is sad to see 19 year olds throwing themselves to the ground at the slightest touch, already cheating before they have played a dozen games

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Kane and unsporting tactics? on 21:39 - Jul 13 with 2068 viewsBazza

Good comment on Kane. I was very disappointed to see a collection video clips showing him backing into players jumping and pleading for a foul. He used to be good enough not to need dirty tactics.
Kane and unsporting tactics? on 21:46 - Jul 13 with 2059 viewsSaintNick

Kane and unsporting tactics? on 21:39 - Jul 13 by Bazza

Good comment on Kane. I was very disappointed to see a collection video clips showing him backing into players jumping and pleading for a foul. He used to be good enough not to need dirty tactics.

Kane has had to adapt his game to play for England dropping deeper and drawing fouls

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Kane and unsporting tactics? on 22:36 - Jul 13 with 2021 viewsSadoldgit

Kane and unsporting tactics? on 21:39 - Jul 13 by Bazza

Listen to the likes of Alan Shearer. It’s always been a part of the game. Players use whatever they can to get one over their opponents. We ourselves are very proud of our name the Alehouse footballers, given to us by Bill Shankly after we kicked his team off the park. There’s a fine line between gamesmanship and cheating.
Kane and unsporting tactics? on 23:48 - Jul 13 with 1980 viewsNewdawn2014

Yes I thought so too but cant word it so eloquently , I just said he was a cheating b`stard ,
and he still gets lionised by the media.
Kane and unsporting tactics? on 08:07 - Jul 14 with 1864 viewsSadoldgit

I think that most people would have in at St Mary’s in a heartbeat.
Kane and unsporting tactics? on 08:57 - Jul 14 with 1835 viewsBazza

Kane and unsporting tactics? on 08:07 - Jul 14 by Sadoldgit

I think that most people would have in at St Mary’s in a heartbeat.

Can’t believe you are defending cheating!
Kane and unsporting tactics? on 09:03 - Jul 14 with 1828 viewsSonicBoom

I'm afraid if you don't like diving then football is not for you any more.
Every team does it, and 99% of players do it. Loads of forwards go down easily including Ings. Their team mates expect it.

If you want to be mad then get mad at the laws of the game and the refs that oblige every time and give the foul.
Login to get fewer ads

Kane and unsporting tactics? on 09:11 - Jul 14 with 1824 viewsRon11

Kane and unsporting tactics? on 23:48 - Jul 13 by Newdawn2014

Yes I thought so too but cant word it so eloquently , I just said he was a cheating b`stard ,
and he still gets lionised by the media.

Was he coached by Pochettino?
Kane and unsporting tactics? on 09:57 - Jul 14 with 1798 viewsButty101

Kane and unsporting tactics? on 09:03 - Jul 14 by SonicBoom

Every team does it, and 99% of players do it. Loads of forwards go down easily including Ings. Their team mates expect it.

If you want to be mad then get mad at the laws of the game and the refs that oblige every time and give the foul.

You are right its been there a long time in the game. I remember gordon watson getting pillered for diving when he played for shef wednesday - just before he joined us.

What annoys me now is that the pundits say th eplayer felt contact so has a right to go down. Surely you should only be going down if you are knocked over. Its still just a contact sport...

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Kane and unsporting tactics? on 10:13 - Jul 14 with 1791 viewsdirk_doone

The problem is that diving is such an integral part of the game nowadays that everybody feels obliged to do it or their team will be at an 'unfair' disadvantage. Kane and even Son never used to do it but under Mourinho all of the Spurs forwards started doing it regularly.

I remember wholesale cheating started with the Argentinians in the 60s. At first many other countries resisted doing it but now they've all joined in. The last ones to hold out were the North Americans and Scandinavians but even some of them do it now.

A lot of it has to do with cultural values. In some societies, taking shortcuts and cheating are considered the smart things to do while hard work and honesty are considered stupid. Such attitudes are also beginnning to catch on in England now. When a leading figure is caught out lying or cheating, it doesn't matter any more and if it's done by a popular figure, the public will turn a blind eye to it. Matt Hancock's problem was that he was unpopular. We've always known that Sterling dives but he is a more popular player now so we pretend not to notice it. As for Grealish, it's considered part of his image as a loveable rogue.

At least the officials in the Euros made some effort to stamp it out by trying not to reward dives with free-kicks like the Premier League refs usually do but even they got conned on a few occasions.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 10:24]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Kane and unsporting tactics? on 10:32 - Jul 14 with 1772 viewsSonicBoom

What I don't get it that no one likes it.

The fans get frustrated when their team is penalised by a player diving for a pen and winning the game. Or even just the constant breaks in play where players get a bump and collapse.
Players might expect their team mates to do it but they still surround the ref when it goes against them.

The refs drive me nuts. You see any forward collect the ball with little support and you know exactly what they will do. Initiate any contact they can, and tumble over. It is blatantly obvious. Sometimes they collect the ball then slow down right in front of a defender who cannot avoid them, and down they go. Or step across the opponent and collapse.
Everyone knows full well they are trying to "win" a foul. Yet almost without fail they are rewarded. These are NOT fouls.

If we can all see it, and let's be honest you can even see it when your own team is doing it, why do the refs give it? No one should "win" a penalty. If you step on a players toe and he kicks up both heels and arches his back then he's probably play acting. It's not hard is it.
Kane and unsporting tactics? on 10:38 - Jul 14 with 1755 viewsPaleRider

Our referees are part of the PL gravy train - they don't want to rock the boat. The standard of reffing at the Euros was so high compared to the PL - it was depressing to see how far we have fallen.
Kane and unsporting tactics? on 15:23 - Jul 14 with 1659 viewsluffy22

A couple of points on the diving, I thought yellow cards were meant to be issued for diving, and although the refs told the players to get up, no cards were issued, or has that rule now been stopped?

And you mentioned the Argies diving, a couple of months ago I was watching the old big match on ITV 4 and Ardilies was playing for the spuds, he got slaughtered by someone, the ref said play on, as it was a hard but fair (for them days) tackle and the only way he could get treatment was to roll himself off the pitch as the game continued. That would stop some diving if treatment was not allowed on the pitch. I saw someone a couple of weeks back who feigned injury off the pitch and the coaches told him to get back onto the pitch so play had to stop.

Otherwise the standing of reffing over the euros was very good
Kane and unsporting tactics? on 15:28 - Jul 14 with 1656 views1885_SFC

Reminds me of the time that Flores was in agony on the pitch... but then completely forgot about the agonising pain to go and remonstrate with Fat Sam...

Old School is Cool

Kane and unsporting tactics? on 18:45 - Jul 14 with 1598 viewsSadoldgit

Kane and unsporting tactics? on 08:57 - Jul 14 by Bazza

Can’t believe you are defending cheating!

I’m not defending cheating. I am saying most people would want a world class striker at the club.
Kane and unsporting tactics? on 10:45 - Jul 15 with 1467 viewsBerber

Kane and unsporting tactics? on 10:38 - Jul 14 by PaleRider

Our referees are part of the PL gravy train - they don't want to rock the boat. The standard of reffing at the Euros was so high compared to the PL - it was depressing to see how far we have fallen.

Absolutely. It seems that almost everything about English refereeing is off the mark. meantime, they, the PL and the FA will be patting themselves on the back for being top of the tree performers. They take very little notice of the fans, relying on the feedback of commercial advisors, in the same way that supermarkets now won't accept less than perfect appearance fruit and veg, telling us that this is what the consumer wants.
Kane and unsporting tactics? on 14:37 - Jul 15 with 1403 viewsTinman

I can't argue with that.
Part of the reason it strikes me so much nowadays is that I have preferred rugby more and more of late. I haven't watched much football but returned to see some of the Euros. I was viewing with fresher eyes.
I guess most of us are of a different era - play the game, play fair, if you win, great, if you lose, OK. The drive for success has driven away that sportsmanship. My character is such that although I appreciate a close decision that goes our way, I do despair at faking.
Kane and unsporting tactics? on 14:38 - Jul 15 with 1402 viewsTinman

I shall write a sternly worded letter.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024