Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fraser Forster 07:53 - Jul 19 with 1533 viewsMattFinish

To go back to Celtic on loan.

It's obvious why. He's second highest earner on £70k/week. This is Gao and Fat Kat trimming expenses
Fraser Forster on 08:13 - Jul 19 with 1495 viewsSaintNick

So explain to me what is wrong with a football club trying to get a high earner who is not a first team regular off the books ?

Its called business and at the moment all football clubs are suffering from the stark reality that their income has dropped dramatically due to Covid 19, yet their outgoings arent that much different.

Every club in the world has had to trim expenses except for perhaps Manchester City whose owners seem to be willing to spend as much as they can.

I suspect that if we werent trying to trim expenses you would be asking why.

Ill ask a question now, if all Gao cares about is money, why hasn't he got any of his £200 million back by keeping the proceeds from transfers

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Fraser Forster on 09:29 - Jul 19 with 1464 viewsSadoldgit

I think the issue in this case should be which goalkeeper should we be looking to keep. Surely the better one of the two. Not long ago people were desperate to get rid of Forster, now I think the consensus would be keep him and get rid of McCarthy. Yes money is a problem, but so is finding a quality replacement and we are struggling as it is at the moment to find cheap quality players to bolster the squad.
Fraser Forster on 09:49 - Jul 19 with 1445 viewssaintwizzler

Neither of our goalkeepers would be first choice at any other PL team.
They are not good enough.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Fraser Forster on 09:50 - Jul 19 with 1448 viewsDorsetIan

Fraser Forster on 08:13 - Jul 19 by SaintNick

So explain to me what is wrong with a football club trying to get a high earner who is not a first team regular off the books ?

Its called business and at the moment all football clubs are suffering from the stark reality that their income has dropped dramatically due to Covid 19, yet their outgoings arent that much different.

Every club in the world has had to trim expenses except for perhaps Manchester City whose owners seem to be willing to spend as much as they can.

Ill ask a question now, if all Gao cares about is money, why hasn't he got any of his £200 million back by keeping the proceeds from transfers

What else, apart from money, do you think Gao cares about?

I agree he's not asset stripping, but the idea that Gao cares about anything other than the value of his investment seems to be completely without evidence.

He certainly doesn't seem that interested in watching the football.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Fraser Forster on 09:52 - Jul 19 with 1441 viewsButty101

You keep peddling this line, that hes not sold the family jewels.

If we sold JWP and Ings this summer for 60mill, and Gao decided to take the money out of the club. The team would almost certainly get relegated and his asset that he bought for 200mill might be worth 10mill if hes lucky. So it makes no sense for him to take money out of a club that is down to barebones in terms of quality.

BTW under his watch our debt has spiraled. Some of that is down to covid, but the season before we made a heavy loss.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Fraser Forster on 09:55 - Jul 19 with 1439 viewsgrumpy

Does this mean we will be left with just one goalkeeper with any significant experience of the premiership?
Fraser Forster on 10:01 - Jul 19 with 1427 viewsJaySaint

Fraser Forster on 09:55 - Jul 19 by grumpy

Does this mean we will be left with just one goalkeeper with any significant experience of the premiership?

It's the Southampton Way.

It is like having jsut 2 CBs with prem experience, or just 2 fullbacks in total.
it is alright though, we have 'longy' back, to score us some goals.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Fraser Forster on 10:08 - Jul 19 with 1423 viewsSadoldgit

Fraser Forster on 09:50 - Jul 19 by DorsetIan

I agree he's not asset stripping, but the idea that Gao cares about anything other than the value of his investment seems to be completely without evidence.

I may be guessing, but doesn’t he live in China?
Login to get fewer ads

Fraser Forster on 10:50 - Jul 19 with 1396 viewsDorsetIan

Fraser Forster on 10:08 - Jul 19 by Sadoldgit

I may be guessing, but doesn’t he live in China?

I would assume that too, but apart from a couple of visits to the ground and one photo op when he was watching on TV with his family, I can't remember much to suggest that he is watching and hanging on every result.

He has owned us since Aug 2017. He's had plenty of time to persuade us that he's a fan.

Fraser Forster on 10:58 - Jul 19 with 1382 viewsdirk_doone

What is wrong is the fact that he is our best goalkeeper.

If we have to rely on McCarthy next season, it will probably be our last in the Premier League and we are going to lose hundreds of millions. That is reality.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Fraser Forster on 11:16 - Jul 19 with 1354 viewsgrumpy

I prefer Foster,it looks like a long hard season is approaching for us.
Fraser Forster on 11:17 - Jul 19 with 1351 viewsJaySaint

Fraser Forster on 11:16 - Jul 19 by grumpy

I prefer Foster,it looks like a long hard season is approaching for us.

i'd be amazed if we do not get relegated

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Fraser Forster on 11:20 - Jul 19 with 1345 viewsSonicBoom

Why do you care that he's a fan? How many owners do you think are fans ?

You cannot compare PL owners to owners from lower leagues who may well be local businessmen still. In the PL they are not. They are international businessmen or in some cases oligarchs and even sovereign states.

Those at the very top have pretty much unlimited money. The City owners have rebuilt huge areas of the city and built a mini empire. I guess they are "fans" now but only because money is no object.

Also I don't want my club owned by a fan. God no. I'd want the very sharpest business mind please.
The days of owners being fans is long gone even if you want to believe that they are. Hence he has to turn up smiling and wearing a Saints scarf over his suit. Ridiculous.
Of course he's a businessman who wants to make a profit. He is also up for selling the club so if you know of a sovereign state that wants to buy us then please e mail the club. People seem to be offended that an owner wants a return on investment and that they don't just pile their fortune into a club.
Gao has been ok, not great but not as bad as some. Nick has explained until he's blue in the face that Gao had plans which were cut off by the Chinese government. Perhaps if Gao had known he never would have bought us. But he did.

Even the great Marcus Liebherr - we will never know will we, but he bought the club cheaply, we rose through the leagues which made him look great, but we never really saw what he would do in the PL. Would he have invested heavily? I seem to remember his mantra was always that he wanted us to be self sustaining - which isn't much different from what Gao has said.
Fraser Forster on 11:45 - Jul 19 with 1315 viewsbattler

Fraser Forster on 10:58 - Jul 19 by dirk_doone

If we have to rely on McCarthy next season, it will probably be our last in the Premier League and we are going to lose hundreds of millions. That is reality.

Exactly this.
Judging on last seasons performances I would of thought the majority of Saints fans would agree that Fraser is the better keeper compared to McCarthy.
He should be our no 1 and to loan him out purely because of his higher wages smacks of financial desperation.
With Gunn already gone that would leave us with just McCarthy and Harry Lewis who despite being with us for a few years has never really made any headway into the first team squad.
Short term thinking which could affect our long term viability of the club.
Fraser Forster on 11:52 - Jul 19 with 1308 viewsSaintNick

It has been a little bit hard to get over to England and watch football for the past 18 months so to suggest he has lost interest in watching football over here is trying to muddy the waters a bit.

You are right we have little evidence aside from the one fact that he hasn't asset stripped, so the only evidence that we have is that he actually cares about other things than money, he could easily have got a chink of his investment back if he had wanted to.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Fraser Forster on 11:55 - Jul 19 with 1301 views1885_SFC

Fraser Forster on 09:49 - Jul 19 by saintwizzler

100% correct.

Old School is Cool

Fraser Forster (n/t) on 11:56 - Jul 19 with 1295 viewsPaleRider

Fraser Forster on 11:52 - Jul 19 by SaintNick

It has been a little bit hard to get over to England and watch football for the past 18 months so to suggest he has lost interest in watching football over here is trying to muddy the waters a bit.

You are right we have little evidence aside from the one fact that he hasn't asset stripped, so the only evidence that we have is that he actually cares about other things than money, he could easily have got a chink of his investment back if he had wanted to.

[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 11:56]
Fraser Forster on 11:58 - Jul 19 with 1281 viewsUlsterBaz

Fraser Forster on 09:49 - Jul 19 by saintwizzler

Unfortunately I agree with this. Neither is great.
Fraser Forster on 12:13 - Jul 19 with 1268 viewsDorsetIan

Fraser Forster on 11:52 - Jul 19 by SaintNick

Is that the best you've got? Not asset stripping proves he cares about other things than money?! He take money out, the value of his shares goes down, as does the risk of relegation. Doesn't follow at all that someone who only cares about money would asset strip.

How often did he come before 2020?

Did you mean 'chunk'. Careful there!

Fraser Forster on 18:02 - Jul 19 with 1129 viewsBerber

I would guess that if you've got hundreds of millions tied up in an asset, your are entitled to care about it's value. If you care about the value, you would take the steps within your means to nurture it to ensure enduring value.

The circumstances may only allow moderate investment and maintenance. A passion for the club and football is not a requisite.

Newcastle fans detest Mike Ashley almost to a man. He paid a lot of money for the club, loaned it even more, has invested in new players, changed managers to suit his strategy, and despite getting his loan back and some of the excess he paid in the first place, a relegation (with immediate promotion) they appear to be marginally better off than Southampton. Much as I don't like the club, the owner or the manager, they are not in bad shape, we may even buy one of their less favoured players.

Maybe Gao SHOULD be more involved, but I'm not sure he has the knowledge of the business. Ashley learned very fast, but basically constrained cash outflows, and has dome for the best part of a decade. Fans can think and expect whatever they want, as can owners. Usually, they don't really care what fans think, other than both want a successful club.
Fraser Forster on 19:34 - Jul 19 with 1087 viewscocklebreath

Fraser Forster on 10:58 - Jul 19 by dirk_doone

Agreed, he is far superior to McCarthy who had the worst save to shots in the premier league last season. Awful goalie

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Fraser Forster on 08:26 - Jul 20 with 929 viewsMattFinish

Let me tell you Nick. It's fine and I totally agree if they were saving money to reinvest but they're not
Fraser Forster on 08:28 - Jul 20 with 925 viewsMattFinish

Okay Nick you say if all Gao cares about is money, why hasn't he got any of his £200 million back by keeping the proceeds from transfers. So exactly what did he buy the club for because if you think selling the clubs assets and replacing them with even better cheap prospects is sustainable I disagree. It will work for so long
Fraser Forster on 08:39 - Jul 20 with 909 viewssaintwizzler

Fraser Forster on 08:28 - Jul 20 by MattFinish

Okay Nick you say if all Gao cares about is money, why hasn't he got any of his £200 million back by keeping the proceeds from transfers. So exactly what did he buy the club for because if you think selling the clubs assets and replacing them with even better cheap prospects is sustainable I disagree. It will work for so long

That’s the gamble Gao is taking!
How many football club owners give a flying about football?
It’s an investment.
Maybe Gao doesn’t realise the implication of relegation to the value of his asset.
He must do surely?
Something needs to change on the pitch PDQ.
Letting in 1.8 PL goals a game is not good.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Fraser Forster on 12:02 - Jul 20 with 872 viewsMattFinish

Fraser Forster on 08:39 - Jul 20 by saintwizzler

That’s the gamble Gao is taking!
How many football club owners give a flying about football?
It’s an investment.
Maybe Gao doesn’t realise the implication of relegation to the value of his asset.
He must do surely?
Something needs to change on the pitch PDQ.
Letting in 1.8 PL goals a game is not good.

If you believe the rumours Gao used the club to shift money out of China.
Whether there's any truth in that or not it's clear that Gao is less than a reliable owner due to his previous corruption charges in China and if he could go back in time would he have bought us again. I think not
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024