Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leicester moving up to the next level 12:36 - Jul 28 with 1482 viewsdirk_doone

Until 6 years ago, they were getting smaller crowds than Saints and had never won the league or the FA Cup. It just goes to show what ambitious owners can achieve:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57994358

[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 12:37]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Leicester moving up to the next level on 13:22 - Jul 28 with 1404 viewsSonicBoom

Well i think everyone knows that you can achieve anything at all if you have wealthy ambitious owners. Look at what happened to Man City.
But there are so many clubs and so few wealthy owners who really want to invest heavily.
Leicester moving up to the next level on 14:02 - Jul 28 with 1359 viewssaints__fan__73

It would have been interesting to see where we would have ended up if Markus hadn't passed away and him and Cortese stayed in charge.

As it is, I think relegation is just a matter of time. It's interesting to see that, other than the Big 6 and Everton, we now are the club which has been in the PL longest. We can't go on dodging the bullets.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Leicester moving up to the next level on 14:33 - Jul 28 with 1324 viewsSadoldgit

I doubt very much if Marcus would have thrown money at the club. His aim was to make us self sufficient wasn’t it and he certainly didn’t throw money at the club (to a large extent) when he was alive. There aren’t many clubs who have been successful due to very rich benefactors. City and Chelsea now. Blackburn in the past. How long will Leicester compete at the top? Are they likely to become a glamour club like Liverpool or United? Unlikely I would have thought. Clubs like Leicester and us don’t have the pulling power to challenge the big boys for any length of time.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 10:46]
Leicester moving up to the next level on 21:14 - Jul 28 with 1141 viewskingslandstand1

Leicester moving up to the next level on 13:22 - Jul 28 by SonicBoom

Well i think everyone knows that you can achieve anything at all if you have wealthy ambitious owners. Look at what happened to Man City.
But there are so many clubs and so few wealthy owners who really want to invest heavily.

One thing about Man City though is that they used to be a serious player in the late 60's as being a massive club and a joy to watch and were many people's (inc me) 2nd club as I was growing up. A sleeping, well snoozing, giant that always had the potential

Leicester were just another average club as we are that were lucky to get an owner keen to progress and putting the dosh in. Yes, I'm green with envy!

and as has been said, I winder what would have happened if Marcus had survived a bit longer
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 21:15]
Leicester moving up to the next level on 09:51 - Jul 29 with 978 viewsstmichael

We have not been dodging bullets. Not one serious relegation battle despite our issues and 4 top 8 finishes.

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

Leicester moving up to the next level on 10:06 - Jul 29 with 967 viewsSaintNick

Leicester moving up to the next level on 14:33 - Jul 28 by Sadoldgit

I doubt very much if Marcus would have thrown money at the club. His aim was to make us self sufficient wasn’t it and he certainly didn’t throw money at the club (to a large extent) when he was alive. There aren’t many clubs who have been successful due to very rich benefactors. City and Chelsea now. Blackburn in the past. How long will Leicester compete at the top? Are they likely to become a glamour club like Liverpool or United? Unlikely I would have thought. Clubs like Leicester and us don’t have the pulling power to challenge the big boys for any length of time.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 10:46]

Well put point, the likes of Saints fan 73 like to forget that Markus stated from the very start that he was running the club as a business, but choose to remember the boasting of Cortese and use it as evidence that back then we had ambition and now we don't

The trouble is the likes of him keep portraying it as the truth and now we have a fanbase who believe it

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Leicester moving up to the next level on 10:10 - Jul 29 with 962 viewsBerber

Leicester moving up to the next level on 09:51 - Jul 29 by stmichael

We have not been dodging bullets. Not one serious relegation battle despite our issues and 4 top 8 finishes.

In the PL era, clubs that frequently find themselves in the bottom 3 or 4 usually end up getting relegated. There may be a few serial escapes, like Wigan and Sunderland, but they don't usually turn things around and end up in deep trouble, as this club has discovered in the past.
Leicester moving up to the next level on 10:18 - Jul 29 with 953 viewssaints__fan__73

Leicester moving up to the next level on 10:06 - Jul 29 by SaintNick

Well put point, the likes of Saints fan 73 like to forget that Markus stated from the very start that he was running the club as a business, but choose to remember the boasting of Cortese and use it as evidence that back then we had ambition and now we don't

The trouble is the likes of him keep portraying it as the truth and now we have a fanbase who believe it

Running it as a business means running it to be successful. We aren't doing that anymore. We are running it to survive.

Of course we had ambition and a long-term plan back then. That's how we got from L1 to the PL in 3 years.

Now the only plan we have is to try and not finish 18th-20th. It will only work so for so long....

The trouble is we have fans like you who continue to dutifully pay their s/t money every season despite getting precious little in return. It's been going on for seasons now. Why would the club ever change when they know they have mug punters like you.

Login to get fewer ads

Leicester moving up to the next level on 10:54 - Jul 29 with 927 viewsSadoldgit

Leicester moving up to the next level on 10:18 - Jul 29 by saints__fan__73

Running it as a business means running it to be successful. We aren't doing that anymore. We are running it to survive.

Of course we had ambition and a long-term plan back then. That's how we got from L1 to the PL in 3 years.

Now the only plan we have is to try and not finish 18th-20th. It will only work so for so long....

The trouble is we have fans like you who continue to dutifully pay their s/t money every season despite getting precious little in return. It's been going on for seasons now. Why would the club ever change when they know they have mug punters like you.

I thought the aim was to finish as high up the table as we can with what we have and hopefully get some good cup runs, like the vast majority of clubs. Most aim to get to 40 points as soon as they can. We are not alone there. The majority of PL clubs don’t have the finances to compete with the big boys for any length of time.
Leicester moving up to the next level on 14:44 - Jul 29 with 845 viewssaints__fan__73

Leicester moving up to the next level on 10:54 - Jul 29 by Sadoldgit

I thought the aim was to finish as high up the table as we can with what we have and hopefully get some good cup runs, like the vast majority of clubs. Most aim to get to 40 points as soon as they can. We are not alone there. The majority of PL clubs don’t have the finances to compete with the big boys for any length of time.

There's the Big 6. Then there's Leicester and Everton. The clubs that have been promoted recently but have ambitious owners and want to challenge for Europe (Villa, Wolves, Leicester). And then there is West Ham who have vastly more money to spend that us.

So that leaves us competing in a survival league with the 3 promoted clubs and Burnley, Palace, Brighton and Newcastle where we are trying not to finish in the bottom 3.

Hardly inspiring stuff.

Leicester moving up to the next level on 16:00 - Jul 29 with 826 viewsJaySaint

Leicester moving up to the next level on 10:54 - Jul 29 by Sadoldgit

Where was this aim published or spoken about?

I remember being told that we need to be lined up so that when one of the big clubs have a bad season, we are there to take their spot...last season, the players were talking up European football

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024