Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The New Shirt 11:22 - Aug 10 with 2218 viewsdirk_doone

for the Everton game:

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

The New Shirt on 11:33 - Aug 10 with 2189 viewsSaintNick

its just the warm up top

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

The New Shirt on 11:41 - Aug 10 with 2174 viewsdirk_doone

The New Shirt on 11:33 - Aug 10 by SaintNick

its just the warm up top

Which flags can you spot? The German one is bottom left and Bolivia bottom right.

It seems it's popular on Twitter:

"Oh god damn! Am I a Southampton fan now? Recently moved to the south coast - location and family ties would attach me to Pompey, but this is awesome! Well done #SaintsFC."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/southampton-rainbow-kit-premier-leagu
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 11:44]

The New Shirt on 12:17 - Aug 10 with 2136 viewsManwithnoname

The New Shirt on 11:41 - Aug 10 by dirk_doone

Which flags can you spot? The German one is bottom left and Bolivia bottom right.

It seems it's popular on Twitter:

"Oh god damn! Am I a Southampton fan now? Recently moved to the south coast - location and family ties would attach me to Pompey, but this is awesome! Well done #SaintsFC."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/southampton-rainbow-kit-premier-leagu
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 11:44]

FFS keep politics and all this crap out of football.
The New Shirt on 13:05 - Aug 10 with 2103 viewsBazza

The New Shirt on 12:17 - Aug 10 by Manwithnoname

FFS keep politics and all this crap out of football.

where's the recognition for grumpy old men that have been fans for half a century of torment
The New Shirt on 14:18 - Aug 10 with 2027 viewsSaintsforeverj

Homophobia is a big issue in football and in life. Not one single gay footballer out of thousands. And plenty of homophobic chanting at games. But who could we represent next?

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

The New Shirt on 15:08 - Aug 10 with 1980 viewsKennington

Well done saints. I’m a straight fella with missus and kids, so no expert, but anything that promotes tolerance is all right with me.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

The New Shirt on 15:09 - Aug 10 with 1978 viewssolent_toffee

The New Shirt on 14:18 - Aug 10 by Saintsforeverj

Homophobia is a big issue in football and in life. Not one single gay footballer out of thousands. And plenty of homophobic chanting at games. But who could we represent next?

I don’t think is about homophobia, more inclusivity. Football for everyone, not just just white straight men, but obviously including white straight men.

I’m sure if we were to have a look at the Echo’s FB page, the white straight men will be having a whataboutery field day though.
The New Shirt on 15:18 - Aug 10 with 1964 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Personally it doesn't bother me. It actually looks like a cycling shirt that the padded pants brigade who hate their families on a weekend would wear.

If the club want to raise awareness, that's good. I'm not in an affected demographic so they can crack on and I won't be bothered either way. I don't understand how it offends people so much though.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Login to get fewer ads

The New Shirt on 15:20 - Aug 10 with 1960 viewsSaintsforeverj

The New Shirt on 15:09 - Aug 10 by solent_toffee

I don’t think is about homophobia, more inclusivity. Football for everyone, not just just white straight men, but obviously including white straight men.

I’m sure if we were to have a look at the Echo’s FB page, the white straight men will be having a whataboutery field day though.

But you could also have homophobic straight black Christian women too, not just white straight men.

But ultimately, if you are a gay footballer, you should be able to be openly gay and all the fans should support that. They don't come out because they feel as if they would be abused.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 15:22]

The New Shirt on 15:27 - Aug 10 with 1942 viewssolent_toffee

The New Shirt on 15:20 - Aug 10 by Saintsforeverj

But you could also have homophobic straight black Christian women too, not just white straight men.

But ultimately, if you are a gay footballer, you should be able to be openly gay and all the fans should support that. They don't come out because they feel as if they would be abused.

Totally agree - when Everton changed their logo to the rainbow flag for a day last month within seconds they were getting battered by people from all over the world, mainly Christian African lads - very strange.

From past experience at a more local level, there are still angry white straight men who are seem to pop up every year whenever Pride is mentioned or anything to do with LGBT rights, quite put out at the lack of straight pride that we are missing.
The New Shirt on 15:28 - Aug 10 with 1943 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The New Shirt on 15:20 - Aug 10 by Saintsforeverj

I think that's the issue though - WHY can't footballers feel they can be honest about their sexuality? Not many people would really give a f**k so long as they do their job that's all people care about.

The New Shirt on 15:52 - Aug 10 with 1921 viewsSaintsforeverj

The New Shirt on 15:28 - Aug 10 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I think that's the issue though - WHY can't footballers feel they can be honest about their sexuality? Not many people would really give a f**k so long as they do their job that's all people care about.

I agree I don't think most people would care but everything is geared towards straight people, so there is a sense that being gay is not the norm. And this has to be tackled. How many gay people do you see holding hands at games for example compared to straight people?
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 16:00]

The New Shirt on 16:13 - Aug 10 with 1882 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The New Shirt on 15:52 - Aug 10 by Saintsforeverj

I agree I don't think most people would care but everything is geared towards straight people, so there is a sense that being gay is not the norm. And this has to be tackled. How many gay people do you see holding hands at games for example compared to straight people?
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 16:00]

I'm all for equal opportunities, ANYONE holding hands as an adult, at a game needs a slap

The New Shirt on 16:17 - Aug 10 with 1875 viewsSaintsforeverj

The New Shirt on 16:13 - Aug 10 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I'm all for equal opportunities, ANYONE holding hands as an adult, at a game needs a slap

Fair point,

But we need to have more gay footballers in order for homophobia to be tackled.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 16:44]

The New Shirt on 17:15 - Aug 10 with 1816 viewsChesham_Saint

The New Shirt on 14:18 - Aug 10 by Saintsforeverj

If by “homophobia” you mean the mistreatment of people because they happen to be gay it’s not something I see as a big issue anymore. Lots of gay people and couples in every walk of life and no-one I know bats an eyelid. As for any-gay chanting at games, when did you last hear Saints fans do that?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

The New Shirt on 17:47 - Aug 10 with 1786 viewsSaintsforeverj

The New Shirt on 17:15 - Aug 10 by Chesham_Saint

If by “homophobia” you mean the mistreatment of people because they happen to be gay it’s not something I see as a big issue anymore. Lots of gay people and couples in every walk of life and no-one I know bats an eyelid. As for any-gay chanting at games, when did you last hear Saints fans do that?

Get up you poof, you batty, etc. I have heard that a few times. I agree it's not chanting as such more I think the issue is why gay players don't come out. Not one single one. Homophobia as in why hasn't a single player come out?

Or put it this way, lots of straight couples give each other a kiss at games or have their arms around each other or cuddle up on the coach How would fans react if it was two.men?
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 17:52]

The New Shirt on 18:02 - Aug 10 with 1761 viewssolent_toffee

The New Shirt on 17:15 - Aug 10 by Chesham_Saint

Pop into the London hotel around 7pm after any given Saints game and tell me that there’s no homophobia in football.

Most gay people, myself included, don’t bother going in there anymore on a Saturday when Saints are playing due to tedious blatant homophobic abuse.
The New Shirt on 18:48 - Aug 10 with 1729 viewsChesham_Saint

The New Shirt on 18:02 - Aug 10 by solent_toffee

Pop into the London hotel around 7pm after any given Saints game and tell me that there’s no homophobia in football.

Most gay people, myself included, don’t bother going in there anymore on a Saturday when Saints are playing due to tedious blatant homophobic abuse.

Sorry to hear that Toffs. I obviously mix in different circles.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

The New Shirt on 19:07 - Aug 10 with 1699 viewskernow

Would it be homophobic of me to suggest that that particular shirt looks like one of my technicolor five finger spreads after a night on the lager.
The New Shirt on 20:38 - Aug 10 with 1630 viewsSadoldgit

The shirts are to be auctioned after with the money going to charity. Nice touch.
The New Shirt on 20:48 - Aug 10 with 1620 viewsdirk_doone

I think I prefer the one on the left to the one on the right. The designer obviously couldn't make his mind up.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 21:16]

The New Shirt on 10:48 - Aug 11 with 1473 viewsthissceptredsaint

That depends on the charity, a lot of gay people find this flag offensive. My wife informs me women do as well gay or straight.
The New Shirt on 11:53 - Aug 11 with 1431 viewsSadoldgit

The New Shirt on 10:48 - Aug 11 by thissceptredsaint

That depends on the charity, a lot of gay people find this flag offensive. My wife informs me women do as well gay or straight.

The money is going to the Saints Foundation.
The New Shirt on 21:07 - Aug 19 with 1200 viewsSaintsforeverj

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/19/jurgen-klo

Homophobic abuse from Liverpool fans. It is rife in football and one of the biggest issues of discrimination. Billy Gilmour at the receiving end of it.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2021 21:09]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024