Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread 11:03 - Oct 29 with 22702 viewsAtThePeake

Apologies all, no preview this week as I'm away for the weekend and haven't had time to get one done. Here's a match thread in advance though.

Refwatch: https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/56105/refwatch-barrow-v-roc

Ground Guide: https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-two/barrow-holker-street.

Barrow Weather Forecast: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcteyf1nd#?date=2021-10-29

This post has been edited by an administrator

Tangled up in blue.

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 09:18 - Oct 31 with 4024 viewsTVOS1907

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 01:40 - Oct 31 by downunder

I was caught up in the Motorway tail back that caused the delay that day, Despite the delay, still missed much of the game, arrived just as Carlisle scored their third. Dale then pulled back 2 goals, and hit the bar with a shot from a long way out. Still remember the chant that followed that.

What was the chant?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 09:27 - Oct 31 with 3988 viewsjonahwhereru

Many of us would have taken 5 points from away games at Swindon, Salford and Barrow. Think we are consolidating nicely. Note the discussions on formation with interest. I remember last year James leading the call to play three at the back. This year some are suggesting it doesn’t suit us. May be the difference is we don’t have a Lund or Ryan in the squad so we don’t have a grip in midfield for periods of the game. I would be careful what you wish for if you are suggesting a back four. That would certainly not play to O’Keefe’s strengths and O’Connell would likely be more restricted.
We do need to get a grizzled midfield boss man in the next window. Which is when O’Keefe goes back. Those events would give more flexibility for playing with a four, and a holding midfielder.
On balance I think Morley and Kelly in tandem in the middle will provide sufficient quality for us to open up most teams in this league, so I would settle for that at the expense of being a bit light. I wish Ryan wasn’t so injury prone. A fit one of him would be just the ticket.
Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 10:41 - Oct 31 with 3779 viewsHullDale

One thing I've not seen mentioned yet is O'Connell's celebration at full time.

The last few weeks he has seemed a bit flat in my opinion, but his reactions after both goals seemed like genuine joy; and when he came over to the fans at full time he definitely seemed to have his mojo back.

It may be he was knackered after welcoming a baby, it maybe frustration with performances / results, it may be nothing at all. But yesterday his reactions seemed different and hopefully that is a good sign for the rest of the season.
Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 11:16 - Oct 31 with 3679 viewsTVOS1907

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 08:25 - Oct 31 by 442Dale

Different game. The day England thrashed Germany, we won 2-1. Clive Platt masterclass.

Correct

Clive Platt game:

Delayed kick-off game:

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 11:50 - Oct 31 with 3592 viewsEllDale

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 10:41 - Oct 31 by HullDale

One thing I've not seen mentioned yet is O'Connell's celebration at full time.

The last few weeks he has seemed a bit flat in my opinion, but his reactions after both goals seemed like genuine joy; and when he came over to the fans at full time he definitely seemed to have his mojo back.

It may be he was knackered after welcoming a baby, it maybe frustration with performances / results, it may be nothing at all. But yesterday his reactions seemed different and hopefully that is a good sign for the rest of the season.

That’s very interesting. O’Connell is a key component in this team and the fear still exists (in my mind anyway) that he may be tempted away in January.
The happier he is the better.
Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 12:21 - Oct 31 with 3481 viewsD_Alien

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 11:50 - Oct 31 by EllDale

That’s very interesting. O’Connell is a key component in this team and the fear still exists (in my mind anyway) that he may be tempted away in January.
The happier he is the better.

I can't ever find myself feeling 'fear' that a player might leave, although i get what you mean

Concern, perhaps?

Players come and go, especially the better ones. Planning for that is part and parcel of the game, and RS will have his finger on O'Connell's pulse (as it were!) as captain

It would leave us very short at the back but it'd just have to be dealt with

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 12:38 - Oct 31 with 3417 viewsJames1980

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 09:27 - Oct 31 by jonahwhereru

Many of us would have taken 5 points from away games at Swindon, Salford and Barrow. Think we are consolidating nicely. Note the discussions on formation with interest. I remember last year James leading the call to play three at the back. This year some are suggesting it doesn’t suit us. May be the difference is we don’t have a Lund or Ryan in the squad so we don’t have a grip in midfield for periods of the game. I would be careful what you wish for if you are suggesting a back four. That would certainly not play to O’Keefe’s strengths and O’Connell would likely be more restricted.
We do need to get a grizzled midfield boss man in the next window. Which is when O’Keefe goes back. Those events would give more flexibility for playing with a four, and a holding midfielder.
On balance I think Morley and Kelly in tandem in the middle will provide sufficient quality for us to open up most teams in this league, so I would settle for that at the expense of being a bit light. I wish Ryan wasn’t so injury prone. A fit one of him would be just the ticket.

My current obsession 😂, although I don't think I've mentioned it lately is we should give the 2 3 2 3 Metodo formation a whirl.
Odoh Beesley Newby
Kelly Morley
Keohane Not sure O'Keefe
O'Connell Taylor

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 13:39 - Oct 31 with 3256 viewsTVOS1907

Here's a good stat...

Jake Beesley is only the second Dale player to score twice in a league game at Barrow.

The other player to do it was Joe Hargreaves in a 2-2 draw on 10th May 1947

Login to get fewer ads

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 21:08 - Oct 31 with 2881 viewsdownunder

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 09:18 - Oct 31 by TVOS1907

What was the chant?

"Carlisle fans just $hit themselves, doodah, doodah" to "Camptown Races".
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 21:17]
Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 21:13 - Oct 31 with 2858 viewsTVOS1907

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 21:08 - Oct 31 by downunder

"Carlisle fans just $hit themselves, doodah, doodah" to "Camptown Races".
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 21:17]

To what tune?

I was there, so just trying to put it into some sort of context.

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 10:02 - Nov 1 with 2643 viewsHullDale

O'Connell & Beesley in team of the week:

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 08:15 - Nov 2 with 2263 viewsHullDale

Beesley in another team of the week..

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 18:53 - Nov 3 with 1980 viewsAtThePeake

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 09:27 - Oct 31 by jonahwhereru

Personally, I think the difference Is that we don't have any of McShane/Osho/Roberts. I remember we were advocating 3 at the back on the podcast for a while because we felt it played to our strengths in terms of personnel. I see your point on it perhaps restricting EOC/O'Keeffe to revert to 4 at the back now, but having 3 CBs means playing Dorsett and Graham and neither of them quite seem up to it from what I've seen so far, while players who arguably deserve a starting spot are having to be left out.

Tangled up in blue.

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 07:37 - Nov 4 with 1632 views1907

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 18:53 - Nov 3 by AtThePeake

Personally, I think the difference Is that we don't have any of McShane/Osho/Roberts. I remember we were advocating 3 at the back on the podcast for a while because we felt it played to our strengths in terms of personnel. I see your point on it perhaps restricting EOC/O'Keeffe to revert to 4 at the back now, but having 3 CBs means playing Dorsett and Graham and neither of them quite seem up to it from what I've seen so far, while players who arguably deserve a starting spot are having to be left out.

Don’t think it would be a bad thing to try 4 at the back on Sunday with Keohane RB, Taylor & EOC in the middle & White LB.
Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 10:38 - Nov 4 with 1482 viewsBrierls

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 07:37 - Nov 4 by 1907

Don’t think it would be a bad thing to try 4 at the back on Sunday with Keohane RB, Taylor & EOC in the middle & White LB.

Taylor did nothing on Tuesday to show he should start on Sunday. None of them did.

I like Taylor, and I don't think he's any worse that Graham or Dorsett, but I worry about his physicality. He's not doing what is asked of him on the pitch, that is very clear when you hear how much he gets shouted at from the management team on the sidelines.
Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 15:27 - Nov 4 with 1261 views49thseason

Barrow vs Dale: Match Thread on 10:38 - Nov 4 by Brierls

Taylor did nothing on Tuesday to show he should start on Sunday. None of them did.

I like Taylor, and I don't think he's any worse that Graham or Dorsett, but I worry about his physicality. He's not doing what is asked of him on the pitch, that is very clear when you hear how much he gets shouted at from the management team on the sidelines.

The whole starting 11 didn't exactly cover themselves on glory on Tuesday, I didn't think Taylor was any better or any worse that the rest, If he was getting shouted at from the bench it was probably because none of them were closing down quickly enough and the first two goals originated from his side, but I think part of the problem lies in the fact that O'Keeffe couldn't match their left winger and gave him much too much space. An old Pro would probably have clattered the winger at an early stage, just to let him know... as it was they stood off and let him and Doyle run at them. Defensive shape is one thing but sitting too deeply and not closing down the runners was never going to end well and didn't. The 3 young lads, Dorsett, Graham and Taylor need an experienced leader, and Lynch needs to be much more vocal organisationally too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024