Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tony Collins article 08:46 - Oct 30 with 4318 viewswozzrafc

A positive article from the bbc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59031148

Black History Month: Tony Collins - the first black manager in the English Football League
[Post edited 30 Oct 2021 8:47]
Tony Collins article on 09:46 - Oct 30 with 4219 viewsSalegraham

Might be a bit more of a true article as it wasn't done by simple Simon !
Tony Collins article on 09:58 - Oct 30 with 4202 viewsDorkingDale

Good article - and on main BBC page too
Tony Collins article on 10:10 - Oct 30 with 4155 viewsBigKindo

Excellent read. Does anybody know if it has been suggested that to mark his achievements a statue should be commissioned?
Tony Collins article on 10:19 - Oct 30 with 4114 viewsboromat

Tony Collins article on 10:10 - Oct 30 by BigKindo

Excellent read. Does anybody know if it has been suggested that to mark his achievements a statue should be commissioned?

Be nice to have something. Should be something to be proud of and promote.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Tony Collins article on 11:35 - Oct 30 with 4019 viewsNigeriamark

Very good article from the BBC, amazing what a bit of research & speaking to people in the know can do
Tony Collins article on 11:39 - Oct 30 with 4006 viewsboromat

Tony Collins article on 11:35 - Oct 30 by Nigeriamark

Very good article from the BBC, amazing what a bit of research & speaking to people in the know can do

Still got a bit of a dig in about disagreements in the boardroom. Or maybe I'm just reading it still angry with the other 'story' on the beeb.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2021 12:13]

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Tony Collins article on 12:19 - Oct 30 with 3937 viewsSuddenLad

Tony Collins article on 10:10 - Oct 30 by BigKindo

You'd think the PFA and/or EFL would be jumping at the chance to recognise him on a permanent basis with a statue displayed prominently at Spotland, scene of his history making managerial role including his League Cup achievement.

On a side note, I was privileged to meet him many times through a friendship with his son Andy - a mad Leeds United fan. Tony really was a lovely man, very warm and welcoming and he richly deserves a permanent tribute to recognise his legacy.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Tony Collins article on 06:08 - Oct 31 with 3645 viewspioneer

Tony Collins article on 09:46 - Oct 30 by Salegraham

Might be a bit more of a true article as it wasn't done by simple Simon !

interesting piece but i wouldnt call it great jounalism…..more authors than sources. Appears they have used only one person, Tony’s daughter Sarita, though I think they have taken a fair bit of info from the recent book on Tony. However no acknowledgement.

Real lazy journalism, there are many other people they might have spoken to about Tony. Does Sarita really know what he was like in the dressing room, on thetraining pitch ?

Everything seems to cheap and (sometimes) cheerful from the BBC these days, a sad indictment ofonce proud organisation that was responsible in part for UKs standing in the world.
Login to get fewer ads

Tony Collins article on 11:27 - Oct 31 with 3491 viewsTVOS1907

Tony Collins article on 06:08 - Oct 31 by pioneer

interesting piece but i wouldnt call it great jounalism…..more authors than sources. Appears they have used only one person, Tony’s daughter Sarita, though I think they have taken a fair bit of info from the recent book on Tony. However no acknowledgement.

Real lazy journalism, there are many other people they might have spoken to about Tony. Does Sarita really know what he was like in the dressing room, on thetraining pitch ?

Everything seems to cheap and (sometimes) cheerful from the BBC these days, a sad indictment ofonce proud organisation that was responsible in part for UKs standing in the world.

Nobody has claimed it's a great article, but what it is, is a positive story about a really important figure from Dale's and football's history.

In a month when the BBC have run stories detrimental to the club, to try to pick holes in this one is churlish and pedantic.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Tony Collins article on 11:48 - Oct 31 with 3466 viewsEllDale

Good call that. A statue would a suitable tribute but they don’t come cheap so persuading the EFL/FA might be instrumental in making it happen.
Tony Collins article on 13:37 - Oct 31 with 3403 viewsR17ALE

Tony Collins article on 11:48 - Oct 31 by EllDale

Good call that. A statue would a suitable tribute but they don’t come cheap so persuading the EFL/FA might be instrumental in making it happen.

I think there might be something in the pipeline, not a statue, but something.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Tony Collins article on 20:15 - Oct 31 with 3239 viewspioneer

Tony Collins article on 11:27 - Oct 31 by TVOS1907

Nobody has claimed it's a great article, but what it is, is a positive story about a really important figure from Dale's and football's history.

In a month when the BBC have run stories detrimental to the club, to try to pick holes in this one is churlish and pedantic.

I didn’t say anyone has claimed it was a great article. I merely expressed my opinion that it wan’t

Churlish AND pedantic …bonus points for me then. Glad you were not my English teacher😊
Tony Collins article on 20:32 - Oct 31 with 3219 viewsTVOS1907

Tony Collins article on 20:15 - Oct 31 by pioneer

I didn’t say anyone has claimed it was a great article. I merely expressed my opinion that it wan’t

Churlish AND pedantic …bonus points for me then. Glad you were not my English teacher😊

I'm not anybody's.

Tony Collins article on 20:49 - Oct 31 with 3172 viewsD_Alien

Tony Collins article on 20:32 - Oct 31 by TVOS1907

I'm not anybody's.

Not a polymath then?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Tony Collins article on 21:05 - Oct 31 with 3147 viewsTVOS1907

Tony Collins article on 20:49 - Oct 31 by D_Alien

Not a polymath then?

Afraid not.

Tony Collins article on 21:16 - Oct 31 with 3113 viewsD_Alien

Tony Collins article on 21:05 - Oct 31 by TVOS1907

Afraid not.

That's a shame

I'm in favour of an equitable pioneer society

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Tony Collins article on 05:22 - Nov 1 with 2975 viewsDiddyDave

This actually came off a BBC World Service program that I heard on my car radio a few months ago. Quite a good write up seeing as most of it came out of the Tony Collins book in 2016, the BBC once again nail their colours to the mast (no pun intended) in the first paragraph. Why mention the National Front coming to the fore in the sixties and Enoch Powel`s Rivers of Blood speech? Straight away they`re inferring colour prejudice then, that Collins was the first black manager. There wouldn`t have been any more than a handful of dark skinned players around, Charlie Williams was the first I ever saw playing for Doncaster and Rotherham, and of course, the great John Charles who played for Leeds before being going to Italy. People flocked to see Billy Boston steam down the wing for Wigan and Shirley Bassey was Top of the Bill at the London Palladium. Sport and music, leave the politics out of it.
Tony Collins article on 11:06 - Nov 2 with 2752 viewsmingthemerciless

You’re not mixing up the John Charles who played for Leeds with the John Charles who played for West Ham are you Dave ?
Tony Collins article on 19:43 - Nov 2 with 2560 viewsDiddyDave

Tony Collins article on 11:06 - Nov 2 by mingthemerciless

You’re not mixing up the John Charles who played for Leeds with the John Charles who played for West Ham are you Dave ?

Definitely not!!
Tony Collins article on 19:49 - Nov 2 with 2545 viewsmingthemerciless

Tony Collins article on 19:43 - Nov 2 by DiddyDave

Definitely not!!

It’s just that I thought the John Charles at Leeds was a white guy.
Tony Collins article on 21:36 - Nov 2 with 2430 views442Dale

But there has been racism in sport whether or not we as individuals may have experienced it. That’s why the story of Collins has been covered and the barriers he may have faced including the terminology some used. If not, it wouldn’t have been a story at all because there isn’t a BBC story about every Rochdale manager ever.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2021 21:38]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Tony Collins article on 21:54 - Nov 2 with 2401 viewskel

“Coloureds”

What’s the weather like in the 50’s?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024