Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! 08:35 - Oct 31 with 7675 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/56144/russell-martin-‘

Haynesy’s hairdryer click above
Subscribe to us on Twitter below

This post has been edited by an administrator
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:09 - Oct 31 with 2506 viewsItchySphincter

I enjoyed that.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:20 - Oct 31 with 2479 viewsNotLoyal

Pick that one out, what a cracking piece of football writing.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:22 - Oct 31 with 2473 viewsCatullus

Well said Keith. I don't expect some people to change though.

I want us to win AND I want to be entertained, that is now happening, it's part of Martin's philosophy, football should be fun. Those of us who looked past the bluster and statistics could see the improvements were happening.

There is still plenty of work to do, because there always is, it's an eternal evolution but if we can keep these levels of performance as our minimum and still improve in some areas, the future looks quite bright, and entertaining.

People who don't want to be entertained but prefer boring, nondescript football can find that in many other places if they so wish.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:24 - Oct 31 with 2437 viewsonehunglow

So now ANY criticism is clearly stamped upon.
As you were then.
Thought ALL opinions were welcomed.
It says so on the tin.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:25 - Oct 31 with 2464 viewsNotLoyal

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:22 - Oct 31 by Catullus

Well said Keith. I don't expect some people to change though.

I want us to win AND I want to be entertained, that is now happening, it's part of Martin's philosophy, football should be fun. Those of us who looked past the bluster and statistics could see the improvements were happening.

There is still plenty of work to do, because there always is, it's an eternal evolution but if we can keep these levels of performance as our minimum and still improve in some areas, the future looks quite bright, and entertaining.

People who don't want to be entertained but prefer boring, nondescript football can find that in many other places if they so wish.

I knew that was coming from him. It won’t be directed at any specific person, could be directed at Twitter more so, but he will stand up and back it up on here and in person, never been a shrinking violet.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:31 - Oct 31 with 2430 viewsThrasher6

Great piece...needed to be said!

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:32 - Oct 31 with 2396 viewsDr_Winston

It still needs to be understood that a lot, perhaps the majority of the "negative" comments aren't made because the poster involved genuinely believes it. It's just the best way to provoke a reaction. That's all they're intended to do. It's how these weirdos get their kicks, and always have done.

You'll still have people like Perchy who thrives on misery and chucks his toys out of the pram any time someone calls him on it (like in this very thread), but the genuine cases are few and far between.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:34 - Oct 31 with 2393 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:25 - Oct 31 by NotLoyal

I knew that was coming from him. It won’t be directed at any specific person, could be directed at Twitter more so, but he will stand up and back it up on here and in person, never been a shrinking violet.

Who is causing the friction on twitter

Login to get fewer ads

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:43 - Oct 31 with 2393 viewsmagicdaps10

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:24 - Oct 31 by onehunglow

As you were then.
It says so on the tin.

Criticism is fine but the hole picking after just a few weeks was totally unfair and was very naive in my eyes....... I have said it from day one.

You had/have to give it time plus in Martin's case the team had no preseason with him, fitness levels were low and there was still work needed in the transfer window.

I was one of those who said give it time and it was Foolish to judge Martin so early, it was so clear that this was the case.... So clear!

Its sad that fans jumped on him so early but this was due to the fact that fans wanted Cooper out and some posters didn't like this and more so when Cooper went... Some fans had a stick out for Martin since day 1! It's even more sad than some have now even twisted their initial stick beating towards Martin, turned it because Martin has now supposedly changed his game plan to what they said he should and that's the reason he has turned it around.... One fan even said that arguably that turning point that was coming back to draw against Luton was down to the senior players NOT Martin.

Its a sad state of affairs that's seems to be worse that some posters can't even put their hands up to it.

Its not about criticism but more so about not being realistic and even more so not being patient.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:44 - Oct 31 with 2388 viewsChief

Enjoyed the football tactical aspect of the article. Slightly confused on other parts.....

Who is the 'you' being spoken of in the last but 1 paragraph? Is it s metaphoric 'you' for fans perceived to be negative?

Or is it someone working within the club?

My first guess seems the most likely, but are some oddball fans (and they'd have to be complete lunatics not to be happy when we were going on European tour etc) really the cause of the club's subsequent downfall as alluded to? Giving far to much credit for the power they yield - "kept the club back"!?

Someone working within the club would have more bearing on policy but the guards changed since then mostly. So no one obvious comes to mind.......
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 9:46]

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:49 - Oct 31 with 2358 viewsDr_Parnassus

Of course it was going to get better, it could hardly have got much worse. It was awful.

The question was, is it going to improve quick enough for us to avoid trouble. If we carried on as we were then I had serious doubts.

Thankfully he’s changed the tactics and deployed the direct ball, something that wouldn’t have been entertained.

I told you all he had the ability to adapt, as did others. But many insisted he wouldn’t move from plan A, thankfully those that questioned those early tactics were proven absolutely right.

But do we really have to have this same conversation every week? When we win he will be praised, as is proven time and time again.

When we lose and perform poorly then he will no doubt be criticised.

I’m unsure why that concept seems so alien to many. Isn’t this what has happened throughout history without fail (well Cooper aside who everyone seemed happy to slate regardless).

Next time we play poorly he may well be criticised again too, and it will also probably be deserved.

That’s football.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 9:54]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:49 - Oct 31 with 2342 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:43 - Oct 31 by magicdaps10

Criticism is fine but the hole picking after just a few weeks was totally unfair and was very naive in my eyes....... I have said it from day one.

You had/have to give it time plus in Martin's case the team had no preseason with him, fitness levels were low and there was still work needed in the transfer window.

I was one of those who said give it time and it was Foolish to judge Martin so early, it was so clear that this was the case.... So clear!

Its sad that fans jumped on him so early but this was due to the fact that fans wanted Cooper out and some posters didn't like this and more so when Cooper went... Some fans had a stick out for Martin since day 1! It's even more sad than some have now even twisted their initial stick beating towards Martin, turned it because Martin has now supposedly changed his game plan to what they said he should and that's the reason he has turned it around.... One fan even said that arguably that turning point that was coming back to draw against Luton was down to the senior players NOT Martin.

Its a sad state of affairs that's seems to be worse that some posters can't even put their hands up to it.

Its not about criticism but more so about not being realistic and even more so not being patient.

A decent reply and thanks for that.
I don not see it that way .

I speak as I see it as of the now

We have been appalling ,we have got better,yesterday far more so. It is encouraging.

What I do not like is being told to join in and be a signed up member of the Russy fan club. Clearly, like it or not,we are now discouraging from posting anything at all doubting Martin .

To me ,that is pretty sinister and it's tantamount to strangling any debate at all and for a debate one needs two sides.

Whittaker has been treated terribly and his cameo yesterday shows or should show that he is one we need to keep ,not loan out.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:51 - Oct 31 with 2358 viewsCatullus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:24 - Oct 31 by onehunglow

As you were then.
It says so on the tin.

Fair criticism will be welcomed, I have no doubt. There are things about yesterday that could be criticised and I have no doubt Martin will have a team meeting where he tells the players where they could improve.

Fo a start, Paterson's passing was off yesterday, maybe he should have been subbed. At times we were guilty of over passing. See criticisms, some people would disagree, others would agree, it's when the criticisms are unfounded or over the top that people get annoyed.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:54 - Oct 31 with 2351 viewsraynor94

Brilliant post Keith, they need calling out, there's a few for no apparent reason took an instant dislike to Martin.

This could be the start of something exciting

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:57 - Oct 31 with 2338 viewsCatullus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:49 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

Of course it was going to get better, it could hardly have got much worse. It was awful.

The question was, is it going to improve quick enough for us to avoid trouble. If we carried on as we were then I had serious doubts.

Thankfully he’s changed the tactics and deployed the direct ball, something that wouldn’t have been entertained.

I told you all he had the ability to adapt, as did others. But many insisted he wouldn’t move from plan A, thankfully those that questioned those early tactics were proven absolutely right.

But do we really have to have this same conversation every week? When we win he will be praised, as is proven time and time again.

I’m unsure why that concept seems so alien to many. Isn’t this what has happened throughout history without fail (well Cooper aside who everyone seemed happy to slate regardless).

Next time we play poorly he may well be criticised again too, and it will also probably be deserved.

That’s football.

Didn't you also say we didn't have the players to play the way Martin wanted?

Didn't people get fed up of all the posts saying we were rubbish when most of us could see improvements? Improvements that some people denied or even tried to put down to Coopers filing cabinet!

Most on here could see the improvements and were happy we were moving in the right direction, we were right.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:59 - Oct 31 with 2328 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:49 - Oct 31 by onehunglow

A decent reply and thanks for that.
I don not see it that way .

I speak as I see it as of the now

We have been appalling ,we have got better,yesterday far more so. It is encouraging.

What I do not like is being told to join in and be a signed up member of the Russy fan club. Clearly, like it or not,we are now discouraging from posting anything at all doubting Martin .

To me ,that is pretty sinister and it's tantamount to strangling any debate at all and for a debate one needs two sides.

Whittaker has been treated terribly and his cameo yesterday shows or should show that he is one we need to keep ,not loan out.

Correct, some of the worst performances we have seen in years have been on show this season. I still maintain the Luton first half was the worst half of football in the last decade or longer.

Criticism was absolutely deserving, the points raised were absolutely valid and of course have now been proven correct. We now are far more pragmatic than when he first came, we may be able to go back to plan A if we score early to frustrate them, but starting with that against good sides is suicide and that has been proven time and time again.

It’s worth nothing that many people aren’t commenting how great everything is because they genuinely believe it, they are doing it to justify their comments last season. Which is why we had “10 games” turn into “a whole season of transition”, when things were really looking bad.

Football is a very predictable thing with regards to fans. When the team plays well they are praised, when they don’t then they aren’t. It’s the normal reaction.

Turning Martin into a demigod however is something I will never get on board with where he is immune from criticism and any obvious errors are folded into the “all part of the plan” cake.

Say it as it is, stop pretending. As a fan base we will be far more footballing intelligent for it.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:05 - Oct 31 with 2305 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:57 - Oct 31 by Catullus

Didn't you also say we didn't have the players to play the way Martin wanted?

Didn't people get fed up of all the posts saying we were rubbish when most of us could see improvements? Improvements that some people denied or even tried to put down to Coopers filing cabinet!

Most on here could see the improvements and were happy we were moving in the right direction, we were right.

I did, and I was right. Which is why we were just above the relegation zone.

We then brought in the likes of Ntcham, moved away from that style and added the direct ball where most of our recent goals have come from, and we instantly improved. Just like those criticising those early tactics said we would.

We were right.

If we ever start relying on that tactic again and we fall back into that pattern, rather than using it intelligently against the lowly sides or when we go ahead - I’ll be making the exact same complaints again, as no doubt will others and won’t be shouted down by those who can’t deal with valid criticism.

And we will be right to do so again. So let’s hope we continue in this way of adopting these tactics.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 10:08]

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:08 - Oct 31 with 2283 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:54 - Oct 31 by raynor94

Brilliant post Keith, they need calling out, there's a few for no apparent reason took an instant dislike to Martin.

NO.
Who exactly is being called out and why should they be for having an opinion.It is an opinion to like Martin or not as from what we see.
There is a no tolerance air here and it aint looking good.

We all are being told to get into line.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:09 - Oct 31 with 2294 viewsItchySphincter

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:49 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

That’s football.

At the risk of overshadowing the writer’s excellent piece, which is not something I want to do, I am addressing only one point in your post, and that is that Martin has changed tactics - he hasn’t, we’re just getting better at what we do, as he and many others said we would in time. We still play passing football, we still dominate possession. Most of us realised we needed to get the ball forward quicker, but evolution not revolution, some wanted the failed pragmatism and long long ball of Cooperball. Thank God we didn’t get the latter.

Welcome Russ.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:10 - Oct 31 with 2270 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:59 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

Correct, some of the worst performances we have seen in years have been on show this season. I still maintain the Luton first half was the worst half of football in the last decade or longer.

Criticism was absolutely deserving, the points raised were absolutely valid and of course have now been proven correct. We now are far more pragmatic than when he first came, we may be able to go back to plan A if we score early to frustrate them, but starting with that against good sides is suicide and that has been proven time and time again.

It’s worth nothing that many people aren’t commenting how great everything is because they genuinely believe it, they are doing it to justify their comments last season. Which is why we had “10 games” turn into “a whole season of transition”, when things were really looking bad.

Football is a very predictable thing with regards to fans. When the team plays well they are praised, when they don’t then they aren’t. It’s the normal reaction.

Turning Martin into a demigod however is something I will never get on board with where he is immune from criticism and any obvious errors are folded into the “all part of the plan” cake.

Say it as it is, stop pretending. As a fan base we will be far more footballing intelligent for it.

He IS God .

HE was criticised over team performances and result.

Nothing personal at all and Im astounded to see what I am reading here.

People now taking time out to settle some scores.

Have a good day

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:10 - Oct 31 with 2291 viewsKeithHaynes

As you were then.
It says so on the tin.

They are, that’s why you get your say on here, and so does everyone else, and have a guess what, including me 😉

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:11 - Oct 31 with 2290 views34dfgdf54

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:05 - Oct 31 by Dr_Parnassus

I did, and I was right. Which is why we were just above the relegation zone.

We then brought in the likes of Ntcham, moved away from that style and added the direct ball where most of our recent goals have come from, and we instantly improved. Just like those criticising those early tactics said we would.

We were right.

If we ever start relying on that tactic again and we fall back into that pattern, rather than using it intelligently against the lowly sides or when we go ahead - I’ll be making the exact same complaints again, as no doubt will others and won’t be shouted down by those who can’t deal with valid criticism.

And we will be right to do so again. So let’s hope we continue in this way of adopting these tactics.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 10:08]

Are you still keeping the passing stats thing up to date? 20 off the magical 800 I think yesterday.

Also, you’re more clued up on the stats than me, what is classed as a “long ball”, assuming hamer’s switches to laird etc would be classed as “long”.

I don’t disagree he’s eased up on certain things, noticed yesterday we were putting corners into six yard box and not persisting with the short.
Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:13 - Oct 31 with 2254 viewsDr_Winston

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:09 - Oct 31 by ItchySphincter

At the risk of overshadowing the writer’s excellent piece, which is not something I want to do, I am addressing only one point in your post, and that is that Martin has changed tactics - he hasn’t, we’re just getting better at what we do, as he and many others said we would in time. We still play passing football, we still dominate possession. Most of us realised we needed to get the ball forward quicker, but evolution not revolution, some wanted the failed pragmatism and long long ball of Cooperball. Thank God we didn’t get the latter.

Welcome Russ.

"Players getting better at a system the more they play it" shock.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:13 - Oct 31 with 2258 viewsonehunglow

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:10 - Oct 31 by KeithHaynes

They are, that’s why you get your say on here, and so does everyone else, and have a guess what, including me 😉

And I hope things remain civil because I will post as I feel inclined and avoiding hate speech in the process.Ensure others do so Keith.

This week sees real tests for the improvement.

Every now and then,we need a reality check. It looked good yesterday but Posh really weren't.

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 10:13 - Oct 31 with 2270 viewsDr_Parnassus

Russell Martin ‘ I told you we would get better’ We told you too ! on 09:54 - Oct 31 by raynor94

Think about that though Raynor.

This feels very much like the usual myth building.

Show me someone who took an instant dislike to Martin for no reason. So that criticising him when we were playing well and winning.

You won’t be able to.

Everytime we play well he gets praise from all quarters, even those that criticised when played badly.

People are simply crying over the fact that some fans dared say some home truths when we were languishing in the league and doing so for obvious reason - we were God awful.

If we revert to that then anyone who made constructive criticism, I only hope they aren't afraid to do so again, despite this ever so odd witch hunt every time we win that happens as nauseam.

I most certainly will be. Just as I’m usually at the front of the line to praise too… that’s how it works.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024