Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How the hell did we get Marshal? 16:29 - Jan 29 with 10080 viewsDylanP

Seriously, he is absolute quality. He has been brilliant since taking over between the sticks. How was he available???

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 22:18 - Jan 29 with 2456 viewsed_83

What excites me about Marshall isn’t just that he’s come straight into the team and iso playing superbly, but also the influence he’ll hopefully have on Dieng and Walsh. He’s seen it all, played at the top level, seems to have exactly the right attitude: for Seny in particular, having a back-up keeper of Marshall’s quality will create serious competition for the number 1 shirt, and underline that he can’t ever afford to get complacent about continuing to progress and improve.

One grizzled old veteran, one young but relatively established starting keeper and one inexperienced prospect feels like a really good balance to have across the squad, each bringing something different and offering a reason for the other two to outdo them.
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 22:19 - Jan 29 with 2440 viewssimmo

A lot of recency bias in here. Marshall has been superb for us and has shown his quality, not a surprise he's had such a good career and he remains a top level shot stopper.

But, Dieng is not only better, but he suits our game more. He is better with his feet, can play with a higher starting position and is dominant in the air. The claims he makes under pressure are superb for a keeper with his level of experience and he's destined for the PL in the next few years.

Marshall has done brilliantly and will be excellent competition/back up for Seny, certainly more than Archer, but Seny is the future He should earn his place back, but it should still his place to lose.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 22:19 - Jan 29 with 2440 viewsGalileo

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 22:03 - Jan 29 by numptydumpty

Marshall, am guessing is a better keeper than Archer but strange break for back up keeper sadly misses out through injury and suddenly out of nowhere a new super sub goalkeeper comes good.

As Baldrick said to Blackadder, I have a CUNNING PLAN !!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Was thinking the same during the match, absolutely love Senny but Marshall can’t be dropped on the back of his performances ?
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 22:23 - Jan 29 with 2389 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 22:19 - Jan 29 by Galileo

Was thinking the same during the match, absolutely love Senny but Marshall can’t be dropped on the back of his performances ?

Yes he can.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 01:25 - Jan 30 with 2247 viewsVancouverHoop

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 22:19 - Jan 29 by Galileo

There used to be a widely accepted convention that players didn't lose their place in the team due to injury or international call-up. Maybe that's out of style nowadays.
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 01:34 - Jan 30 with 2235 viewsBoston

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 19:30 - Jan 29 by Rangersw12

Apprently he was in the Askew after the game

Hope he didn't have to pay for his beer.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 01:46 - Jan 30 with 2205 viewsBenny_the_Ball

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 01:25 - Jan 30 by VancouverHoop

There used to be a widely accepted convention that players didn't lose their place in the team due to injury or international call-up. Maybe that's out of style nowadays.

An international call-up I could understand but injury? I don't remember that convention.
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 01:47 - Jan 30 with 2196 viewsBenny_the_Ball

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 22:23 - Jan 29 by CliveWilsonSaid

Yes he can.

It'll be interesting to see what MW does but either way we'll have a decent keeper between the sticks so I'm not overly concerned.
Login to get fewer ads

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 01:51 - Jan 30 with 2212 viewsVancouverHoop

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 01:46 - Jan 30 by Benny_the_Ball

An international call-up I could understand but injury? I don't remember that convention.

I'm talking 50-60 years ago, but it existed. When a player was fit again he got a chance to reclaim his place. Maybe not for long, if his replacement was better, but he still got the opportunity.
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 01:52 - Jan 30 with 2182 viewsBenny_the_Ball

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 22:19 - Jan 29 by simmo

A lot of recency bias in here. Marshall has been superb for us and has shown his quality, not a surprise he's had such a good career and he remains a top level shot stopper.

But, Dieng is not only better, but he suits our game more. He is better with his feet, can play with a higher starting position and is dominant in the air. The claims he makes under pressure are superb for a keeper with his level of experience and he's destined for the PL in the next few years.

Marshall has done brilliantly and will be excellent competition/back up for Seny, certainly more than Archer, but Seny is the future He should earn his place back, but it should still his place to lose.

On the one hand Marshall is playing well and deserves to hold on to the jersey. In addition, Dieng is on the bench for Senegal so he may lack match sharpness on his return from AFCON.

On the other hand, Marshall is 36 and on a short-term contract until the summer. Dieng is 27 and on a long-term contract. The latter is clearly our future and, moreover, a marketable asset. QPR need to be careful not to jeopardise either his confidence or potential sale value by keeping him out of the team for too long.
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 04:23 - Jan 30 with 2141 viewsVancouverHoop

Dieng is on the bench for Senegal so he may lack match sharpness on his return from AFCON.

He played two or three matches. I doubt he'll be stale.
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 08:54 - Jan 30 with 2014 viewsMelakaRanger

We have to keep playing the 'form' players

Nothing against Dieng, who is a great keeper, but Marshall is totally 'in form' at the moment.

This team now has momentum and belief.

Keep Marshall between the sticks unless his form disappears.
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 15:34 - Jan 31 with 1776 viewsBenny_the_Ball

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 01:51 - Jan 30 by VancouverHoop

I'm talking 50-60 years ago, but it existed. When a player was fit again he got a chance to reclaim his place. Maybe not for long, if his replacement was better, but he still got the opportunity.

Were there subs back then?
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 15:51 - Jan 31 with 1739 viewssoops

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 08:54 - Jan 30 by MelakaRanger

We have to keep playing the 'form' players

Nothing against Dieng, who is a great keeper, but Marshall is totally 'in form' at the moment.

This team now has momentum and belief.

Keep Marshall between the sticks unless his form disappears.

Seny is also on form - he didn’t concede in the Afcon games he played in. As others have said though - great problem to have and I trust MW to handle it in the right way
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 16:01 - Jan 31 with 1686 viewsAntti_Heinola

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 22:19 - Jan 29 by simmo

I'd be shocked if Seny doesn't come almost straight back in. He's our number one, and won't be punished for going to play in an international football tournament. He wasn't injured, he wasn't out of form. Marshall's done great, but he's here for a few months. Dieng is our long term keeper. It's harsh, but being a keeper is harsh because there is only one spot up for grabs. Marshall knows that better than anyone.

Bare bones.

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 16:14 - Jan 31 with 1632 viewsVancouverHoop

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 15:34 - Jan 31 by Benny_the_Ball

Were there subs back then?

Yeah. Usually Mickey Leach.
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 18:25 - Jan 31 with 1496 viewsPunteR

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 16:01 - Jan 31 by Antti_Heinola

I'd be shocked if Seny doesn't come almost straight back in. He's our number one, and won't be punished for going to play in an international football tournament. He wasn't injured, he wasn't out of form. Marshall's done great, but he's here for a few months. Dieng is our long term keeper. It's harsh, but being a keeper is harsh because there is only one spot up for grabs. Marshall knows that better than anyone.

Yeh agree with this. Marshall been good but he's just cover while Dieng is away.
He's made some great saves but I didn't see anything that warrants keeping Dieng out of the side. He just done his job. I actually thought his kicking was horrendous and he never really kept hold of the ball that well. Good shot stopper.
Edit..
Horrendous is a tad harsh tbh. A bit wayward on occasions. Lol
[Post edited 31 Jan 2022 18:52]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 09:19 - Feb 1 with 1283 viewsPinnerPaul

For me, he has let in one worldie, otherwise its clean sheets, not sure what more he could do, tbh, very surprised if Dieng starts v Boro - but we're all just guessing obviously.
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 09:46 - Feb 1 with 1235 viewsAntti_Heinola

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 09:19 - Feb 1 by PinnerPaul

For me, he has let in one worldie, otherwise its clean sheets, not sure what more he could do, tbh, very surprised if Dieng starts v Boro - but we're all just guessing obviously.

I think a start v Boro might depend on when he comes back. If it's this weekend, maybe, if it's after the weekend, no, and probably not the game after either.

Bare bones.

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 09:56 - Feb 1 with 1194 viewscpgerber

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 09:46 - Feb 1 by Antti_Heinola

I think a start v Boro might depend on when he comes back. If it's this weekend, maybe, if it's after the weekend, no, and probably not the game after either.

He'll be here at the earliest on Monday. More likely Tuesday.

He'll be involved (well, on the bench) on Sunday, either the finals or the 3rd place play-off.

So Marshall still in goal vs Boro.
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 10:47 - Feb 1 with 1128 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Always thought Marshall was one of the best Championship level keepers.
Bit better than Seny in keeping the ball out of the net which imo is the most important thing. Happy to have either in the team.
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 10:52 - Feb 1 with 1115 viewsloftboy

The situation reminds me of when we signed Lee Camp, he was superb and kept Chris Day out of the side when he returned from injury.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 11:30 - Feb 1 with 1063 viewsAntti_Heinola

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 09:56 - Feb 1 by cpgerber

He'll be here at the earliest on Monday. More likely Tuesday.

He'll be involved (well, on the bench) on Sunday, either the finals or the 3rd place play-off.

So Marshall still in goal vs Boro.

good point, forgot about 3rd place playoff! So minimum of 2 more games for Marshy, maybe 3.

Bare bones.

How the hell did we get Marshal? on 11:37 - Feb 1 with 1045 viewssaxbend

You have to keep playing the players who are playing well. Not just because it ain't broke, as important as that is, but because that's how you maintain morale and work ethic in the squad. We all know how competition makes players work harder and play better. If you don't play well your place in the team will be up for grabs. But it has to work the other way as well. If you play well enough you stay in the team. Otherwise players lose motivation to give their best. The way it works must be clear and fair to keep the players motivated and feeling positive. So sure, one could make a case that Seny is in general a better goalkeeper, but that doesn't outweigh the two reasons I've just given not to change the team just like that.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2022 11:38]
How the hell did we get Marshal? on 12:14 - Feb 1 with 985 viewsSnipper

Marshall is currently on Sky Sports football in the 2010 play off final for Cardiff vs Blackpool.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024