Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Old saints 00:21 - Jan 30 with 1385 viewsScoot

I've been watching the big match and it only just srtuck me how good Charlie George was. He was immense for us yet cost us pennies. In the early 80s when I first started going and my memory is a bit dubm to say the least. He was a great player for us. Maybe no Channon, Nickhol, Golack or Keegan but not far off.
I love my club thick or thin for over 5 decades

Poll: Should NJ go?

Old saints on 08:40 - Jan 30 with 1241 viewshuelinsaint

Charlie George was our record signing at the time over £400,000, so hardly pennies and he seemed to be injured rather a lot.
I do remember he chopped his finger off with a Flymo at his house in New Milton
Old saints on 09:15 - Jan 30 with 1208 viewsChesham_Saint

Old saints on 08:40 - Jan 30 by huelinsaint

Charlie George was our record signing at the time over £400,000, so hardly pennies and he seemed to be injured rather a lot.

“Where’s your finger, where’s your finger, where’s your finger Charlie George?
In the Flymo, In the Flymo, In the Flymo, Charlie George”

Was sung to him on his return to which he lifted up the errant stub to the crowd.

Oh what fun we had…

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Old saints on 15:22 - Jan 30 with 1079 viewsBison

Old saints on 08:40 - Jan 30 by huelinsaint

Did he live in New Milton as his daughter went to Copythorne school as she was friends with my sister and I got his autograph . Maybe lived near whilst house hunting.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Old saints on 18:08 - Jan 30 with 1002 viewswashington_saint

Old saints on 09:15 - Jan 30 by Chesham_Saint

“Where’s your finger, where’s your finger, where’s your finger Charlie George?
In the Flymo, In the Flymo, In the Flymo, Charlie George”

Was sung to him on his return to which he lifted up the errant stub to the crowd.

Oh what fun we had…

Blimey, back in the day new signings used to be put up in digs just around the corner from me in Harcourt Road, Bitterne Park. Remember going to see Charlie (and another player who I cannot remember) and distinctly remember the cricket being on and Mike Hendrick bowling (no idea why that is burned into my memory decades later!).

Those were the days: me and my brother spent 20-30 minutes chatting with them and watching the cricket.
Old saints on 22:38 - Jan 30 with 855 viewsCenturion

He was landlord of the pub called The Ashley
Old saints on 12:13 - Jan 31 with 720 viewsTimSaint

If you watch Series 6 of The Big Match Revisited, the one for the 80-81 Season, Episode 1 is Saints v Man City and it gets lots of coverage as it is Keegan's debut for Saints.

George played well in the game and got an assist for one of Mick Channon's goals, but he missed a couple of sitters. He hit the post with a header when he should have scored and then somehow put it over from close range when it was easier to score. (things never change at Saints !!)

Anyway, if you listen closely, you can hear some of the crowd chanting...
Charlie, Charlie, Charlie, Charlie, Charlie......
Then burst into the song:
Charlie where 'your fingers, Charlie where 'your fingers la la la la

Love to watch TBMR and reminisce a little :-)

TimSaint

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024