Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sacking Warburton Big Mistake 06:25 - May 7 with 6054 viewsnumptydumpty

Got a feeling next manager will take us backwards

We had loads injuries

We done exceptionally well before this

Nice style of football when most players in

Hope I am wrong but to me this could go very Pete Tong !!!!!

[Post edited 7 May 2022 6:26]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 07:48 - May 7 with 4446 viewsbosh67

I think if we’d missed play offs by a few points he would have been given one more season. I agree on most counts. Best manager overall for years and since Warnock. Best style of play for me overall since Venables.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 07:50 - May 7 with 4427 viewsthompsonridd

He hasn't been sacked!!
Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 09:58 - May 7 with 4257 viewsRangersDave

He also turned into a 1 trick pony, where once other teams sussed him out, we were taken roughly from behind and raddish'd.

Reading whats been in print this week, there was more wrong with him than right.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 10:32 - May 7 with 4186 viewsthemodfather

we were sitting pretty and fell off the dock of the bay, barely managed to stay afloat....i ask, was there interference from the board and/ or others at club?
rumours i hear are ramsey got his oar in. if we had gone up i doubt warbs would have stayed anyway.
Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 10:39 - May 7 with 4174 viewsjohncharles

When we look back at the last couple of seasons taking into account one of the smallest budgets in the Championship and the unprecedented amount of injuries we won’t be saying why didn’t we get promoted, we’ll be saying how did we avoid relegation.

Strong and stable my arse.

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 15:26 - May 7 with 3996 viewsDejR_vu

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 09:58 - May 7 by RangersDave

He also turned into a 1 trick pony, where once other teams sussed him out, we were taken roughly from behind and raddish'd.

Reading whats been in print this week, there was more wrong with him than right.

The only thing he appears to have been ‘guilty’ of is not picking youth team players that he doesn’t deem good enough. Any animosity surely comes from the other side, after all why would he be annoyed with anyone for himself not picking those players?

Surely, as manager, everyone would agree he has to have full control over player selection.

Let’s be honest, who can blame him for not wanting to pick them. The academy is not producing players. All of the players in the squad that have been developed and have a decent value, have all come in post-academy: Dieng (22) / Dickie (24) / Dunne (23) / Chair (19) / Willock (23).

Ramsey’s status as this great youth coach is a myth. In the 8 years he’s been here what has the academy produced? Even Eze was 18 when he signed, he was already through the academy system.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 17:06 - May 7 with 3767 viewsDamo1962

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 10:39 - May 7 by johncharles

When we look back at the last couple of seasons taking into account one of the smallest budgets in the Championship and the unprecedented amount of injuries we won’t be saying why didn’t we get promoted, we’ll be saying how did we avoid relegation.

Hard to argue with that. It just feels like a lost opportunity. As someone who detests the Prem, I'm not too upset we missed out. Have to give a bit of credit to the clubs who took advantage of our demise as well (not Luton obviously 😉).Another day at Wembley, would have been nice for the supporters and the club.
Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 17:13 - May 7 with 3734 viewsMyke

Did we not already eat this dinner when it was hot?
Login to get fewer ads

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 05:56 - May 8 with 3415 viewsbongo_king

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 15:26 - May 7 by DejR_vu

The only thing he appears to have been ‘guilty’ of is not picking youth team players that he doesn’t deem good enough. Any animosity surely comes from the other side, after all why would he be annoyed with anyone for himself not picking those players?

Surely, as manager, everyone would agree he has to have full control over player selection.

Let’s be honest, who can blame him for not wanting to pick them. The academy is not producing players. All of the players in the squad that have been developed and have a decent value, have all come in post-academy: Dieng (22) / Dickie (24) / Dunne (23) / Chair (19) / Willock (23).

Ramsey’s status as this great youth coach is a myth. In the 8 years he’s been here what has the academy produced? Even Eze was 18 when he signed, he was already through the academy system.

My gut also said Warburton was not guilty of much and this was a big mistake. News over the week from WLS and Clive's preview provided more insight but after a bit of digestion time I've come to the same conclusion as you.

I'd say the biggest confirmation that the U23 players aren't good enough is the lack of/limited success of loans. If they were close to good enough they'd surely be in pretty high demand. Instead we've had this year (incomplete list):
Bansal MacNulty - rarely picked in L2 Crawley
Bettache - failed loan at Oldham (this did surprise me - he one who seemed close)
Duke McKenna, Armstrong - doing quite well in national league, but that's quite some gap
Gubbins, Kargbo - done ok in national league
Kelman - tough loan at L1 Gillingham
Masterson - seemingly successful loans in L1.

Who from there is ready to step up based on that? Maybe Masterson, who is post academy. And Warburton has proved himself very good at developing post academy players.

Sad to see him go and fear it may be a step backwards next.
Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 06:57 - May 8 with 3338 viewsDejR_vu

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 05:56 - May 8 by bongo_king

My gut also said Warburton was not guilty of much and this was a big mistake. News over the week from WLS and Clive's preview provided more insight but after a bit of digestion time I've come to the same conclusion as you.

I'd say the biggest confirmation that the U23 players aren't good enough is the lack of/limited success of loans. If they were close to good enough they'd surely be in pretty high demand. Instead we've had this year (incomplete list):
Bansal MacNulty - rarely picked in L2 Crawley
Bettache - failed loan at Oldham (this did surprise me - he one who seemed close)
Duke McKenna, Armstrong - doing quite well in national league, but that's quite some gap
Gubbins, Kargbo - done ok in national league
Kelman - tough loan at L1 Gillingham
Masterson - seemingly successful loans in L1.

Who from there is ready to step up based on that? Maybe Masterson, who is post academy. And Warburton has proved himself very good at developing post academy players.

Sad to see him go and fear it may be a step backwards next.

I fear for the club. It feels, to me, like a power struggle behind the scenes. The wrong person has been shown the door, imo.

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 08:18 - May 8 with 3161 viewsPunteR

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 06:57 - May 8 by DejR_vu

I fear for the club. It feels, to me, like a power struggle behind the scenes. The wrong person has been shown the door, imo.

That's my gut feeling too. Hope we're wrong obviously. Warburton made mistakes for sure but that collapse was due to many factors and one of them being the issues behind the scenes which quite frankly looks to me as the DoF fault.
HunterHoop put a very good case forward for Ferdinand this week but I just don't see how Ferdinand and Ramsey pushing through young players that are not up to championship standard(in Warburtons opinion) is good for its championship status.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 09:51 - May 8 with 3016 viewsHunterhoop

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 08:18 - May 8 by PunteR

That's my gut feeling too. Hope we're wrong obviously. Warburton made mistakes for sure but that collapse was due to many factors and one of them being the issues behind the scenes which quite frankly looks to me as the DoF fault.
HunterHoop put a very good case forward for Ferdinand this week but I just don't see how Ferdinand and Ramsey pushing through young players that are not up to championship standard(in Warburtons opinion) is good for its championship status.

It’s not. But there is no other option. The club cannot sign first team ready players indefinitely. We do not have the income. They have done so under Warburton for the last 12 months to give him every chance, but we cannot afford to keep doing that; we’d breach FFP and (if the owners stopped bank rolling the club) go bust.

And I’m even more comfortable letting go a manager who named only 5 subs including 2 GKs in the last game of the season, a dead rubber. It’s such a d*ck move. What harm was there in including some U23s, if only to get some experience of a match day? Petty.
Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 10:01 - May 8 with 2995 viewsdaveB

yeah not putting under 23s on the bench yesterday was pathetic especially when he picked 2 keepers as well.

I love Warbs and will probably say the opposite next season but think it's for the best we go our separate ways now
Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 10:24 - May 8 with 2941 viewsDannytheR

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 09:51 - May 8 by Hunterhoop

It’s not. But there is no other option. The club cannot sign first team ready players indefinitely. We do not have the income. They have done so under Warburton for the last 12 months to give him every chance, but we cannot afford to keep doing that; we’d breach FFP and (if the owners stopped bank rolling the club) go bust.

And I’m even more comfortable letting go a manager who named only 5 subs including 2 GKs in the last game of the season, a dead rubber. It’s such a d*ck move. What harm was there in including some U23s, if only to get some experience of a match day? Petty.

Make you right on both points. It's important that people remember the mismanagement of the owners is what has ultimately got us here. They took over a Premiership club, got it relegated (twice) and although they continue to underwrite the losses involved, without a decade of relentlessly bad decisions at board level, there might not be such a financial black hole to fill in the first place.

But the reality is, there is - and next time we breach FFP, the likelihood is we're kaput as a top level club. So as things stand, and with the owners ultimately culpable, we now need to bring through young players both as the core of the team and to make money from. That's where we are. Sad but true.

And while Ferdinand/Ramsey aren't perfect, they've got a better track record in identifying and bringing through those young players than the succession of uninspired managers hired by the owners. Furlong only got a first team debut under Ramsey having (of course) been totally ignored by Redknapp, was raw as fk in his first couple of games and written off as not good enough to make it at any real sort of level — and has since held his own in the Premiership (and finished above us yet again this year). Eze speaks for himself - again, now in the Premiership. Manning and Osayi Samuel were mishandled in terms of contracts, but again, having first had their development disrupted and any loyalty to the club damaged by being pointedly ignored by McLaren, desperately trying to put his own career back on track with the quick fix of a load of old pros. Remind us of anyone?

There's a lot wrong with the club at the moment. But for me yesterday's subs bench confirmed the loss of Warburton isn't one of them.
[Post edited 8 May 2022 10:29]
Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 10:27 - May 8 with 2929 viewsPunteR

The other side of that argument is we won the game but I take your point . I've no idea what Warburtons thinking was behind that and it's all irrelevant now anyway.
I'm sure the under 23s will get plenty of match day experience this pre season and into the next seasons ahead.
And just to add (fwiw) they will have my full support.
[Post edited 8 May 2022 10:30]

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 11:35 - May 8 with 2778 viewspaulparker

Warburton has had 3 years here and if the remit is to go up at any point he isn’t the man for the job
The last 2 months prove that
In his time he has had the following players at his disposal
Wells
Hugill
Eze
BOS
Hendrick
Gray
SJ
Austin
Uncle
Manning
Chair
Imo we should have done a lot better , the goals we have conceded and the way we fall to pieces at any corner goes to show we are fragile and not promotion material
I don’t think he has done that bad but the way some carry on here you would of think we lost Don Howe, Gerry , or the reincarnation of EL Tel
On wards and upwards

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 11:37 - May 8 with 2772 viewsChurchie

Feels a lot like getting rid of Neil Warnock and regretting it forever.
Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 11:59 - May 8 with 2728 viewsMungoJezza

As has mentioned before by another poster regarding the lack of U23's on the bench yesterday, is it not a valid reason that the better players are on loan elsewhere till the end of the season and so are not available anyway?

This from a WLS interview with Sinclair Armstrong:
Despite not getting the chance to make his debut under exiting Rangers boss Mark Warburton, Armstrong insists he will be sorry to see him leave the club after Saturday's match at Swansea.

"The gaffer was really good to me around the first team," he said.

"He is always giving me little bits of advice about my movement and it is sad to see him go as he's done a really good job for the club over the last three years."

Whilst I do feel that Warbs could/should have made more use of Duke McKenna and Bettache, perhaps he has been more of a positive influence on the development of the U23's than some people give him credit for....
Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 12:04 - May 8 with 2723 viewsHeadington

In general I agree that it is imperative that we develop youth and admire Ramsey as a coach. However, I feel Warburton did a lot for young players - developed all our current star assets, and before that Manning and BOS who were discarded by McLaren. McClaren of course was a disastrous appointment made on the whim of the owners who have a terrible track record. (What was that all about?) I don't think Warburton rejected all the u23s but made clear they weren't 'ready' and should go on loan first. He did play some of them in cup games - Bettache and SDM, Drewe. Loans benefited Chair and Eze in previous years. The manager has to have sole responsibility for picking the team and it can't have helped to have behind the scenes grumbling.
Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 12:10 - May 8 with 2718 viewsDejR_vu

I think everyone accepts we have to develop and sell. But, the academy isn’t working. I think in LF’s and CR’s tenure only Furlong and the lad that went to Barnsley are genuine academy players who have been sold for actual money. Furlong was already 18 when they arrived so although CR picked him for the first team he had nothing to do with developing him through the academy, that was down to Steve Gallen.

The only success we’ve had, and it’s still quite limited, is through picking up post-academy players that have been released or young players not getting an opportunity elsewhere i.e. the analytics is working, the academy isn’t. If they want to rely on the academy they need to start producing academy players that we can actually sell. They’ve had 8 years and failed abysmally.

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 12:31 - May 8 with 2666 viewsPunteR

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 11:35 - May 8 by paulparker

Warburton has had 3 years here and if the remit is to go up at any point he isn’t the man for the job
The last 2 months prove that
In his time he has had the following players at his disposal
Wells
Hugill
Eze
BOS
Hendrick
Gray
SJ
Austin
Uncle
Manning
Chair
Imo we should have done a lot better , the goals we have conceded and the way we fall to pieces at any corner goes to show we are fragile and not promotion material
I don’t think he has done that bad but the way some carry on here you would of think we lost Don Howe, Gerry , or the reincarnation of EL Tel
On wards and upwards

I wouldn't put Warburton in the same bracket as El Tel, Francis and Warnock but he's been our best manager for 10 years since Warnock imo.
Which I think puts him 2nd best in nearly 20 years since 2003 and Holloway.
Magilton was good for about 3 months and Paulo Souzza was probably another good manager that left too soon.
[Post edited 8 May 2022 12:32]

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 12:32 - May 8 with 2661 viewsDannytheR

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 11:59 - May 8 by MungoJezza

As has mentioned before by another poster regarding the lack of U23's on the bench yesterday, is it not a valid reason that the better players are on loan elsewhere till the end of the season and so are not available anyway?

This from a WLS interview with Sinclair Armstrong:
Despite not getting the chance to make his debut under exiting Rangers boss Mark Warburton, Armstrong insists he will be sorry to see him leave the club after Saturday's match at Swansea.

"The gaffer was really good to me around the first team," he said.

"He is always giving me little bits of advice about my movement and it is sad to see him go as he's done a really good job for the club over the last three years."

Whilst I do feel that Warbs could/should have made more use of Duke McKenna and Bettache, perhaps he has been more of a positive influence on the development of the U23's than some people give him credit for....

The under-23s won in midweek with a team including Bettache, Owens and 2 goals in the last 10 minutes from that kid Rafferty Pedder, who is getting pretty promising reviews from people who've seen him play.

But no, tell all three of them (and the rest) they're so poor they don't deserve an unused place on the bench in a meaningless end of season game.
Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 12:38 - May 8 with 2637 viewsPunteR

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 12:32 - May 8 by DannytheR

The under-23s won in midweek with a team including Bettache, Owens and 2 goals in the last 10 minutes from that kid Rafferty Pedder, who is getting pretty promising reviews from people who've seen him play.

But no, tell all three of them (and the rest) they're so poor they don't deserve an unused place on the bench in a meaningless end of season game.

So is that what happened then and that's their opinion ?

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 12:55 - May 8 with 2583 viewsLythamR

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 12:32 - May 8 by DannytheR

it it remotely possible that there was another reason why the bench was thin yesterday other than Warburton being an arse?

late withdrawels combined with transport logistics? or what about the situation with bonuses, maybe he couldnt pick players as it would have triggered performance bonuses?

we seem desperately eager to strap Warbs to a ducking stool over this relatively minor issue
Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 13:03 - May 8 with 2563 viewsDannytheR

Sacking Warburton Big Mistake on 12:55 - May 8 by LythamR

it it remotely possible that there was another reason why the bench was thin yesterday other than Warburton being an arse?

late withdrawels combined with transport logistics? or what about the situation with bonuses, maybe he couldnt pick players as it would have triggered performance bonuses?

we seem desperately eager to strap Warbs to a ducking stool over this relatively minor issue

Anything's possible. But given Dave Mc publicly mentioned Warburton picking an under-strength bench once this season already as a source of friction with the youth coaches, felt like a pretty clear two fingers to sign off with.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024