Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Caleb Watts 22:01 - Jun 23 with 1033 viewsSaintNick

Off to Morecambe on loan, I think he won't be the last out of the door for a seasons loan

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Caleb Watts on 23:28 - Jun 23 with 987 viewsPatfromPoole

I’m not convinced that a great deal of good comes from loaning these players out to League 1 or League 2 clubs, and I suspect that is probably their true level.

When did we last have a player break through to be a first-team regular, having been loaned out to the lower leagues? I am struggling to think of many.

If you look at Ward-Prowse, he went straight into our first-team at a very early age.

If you’re good enough, you’re old enough etc etc….

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Caleb Watts on 09:14 - Jun 24 with 881 viewsSaintNick

Caleb Watts on 23:28 - Jun 23 by PatfromPoole

I’m not convinced that a great deal of good comes from loaning these players out to League 1 or League 2 clubs, and I suspect that is probably their true level.

When did we last have a player break through to be a first-team regular, having been loaned out to the lower leagues? I am struggling to think of many.

If you look at Ward-Prowse, he went straight into our first-team at a very early age.

If you’re good enough, you’re old enough etc etc….

Some players take longer to break through, look at Mikhail Antonio, at 20 Reading loaned him to Saints, although he had his moments here, he only started 14 games, plus another 14 as sub and was even hauled off after only 34 minutes in a 0-0 draw with Wycombe.

He then spent the next 3 years as a fringe player at Reading followed by another seasons on loan in League One with Colchester and Sheffield Wednesday.

He finally hit the Championship in 2012/13 and had three seasons there, before finally getting his big break with West Ham in 2015 aged 25.

Mostly it is about loaning players out to find their level, but not always, look at any club and the ratio of first team breakthroughs to be a long term squad member from the youth ranks is very low, maybe 1 every 3 or 4 years.

We are suffering because we didn't have a youth team 12 years ago, we couldnt snap up the youngsters aged 8, we had to find older prospects stuck at other clubs, Nathan Tella, Yan Valery. Thierry Small, Livramento, Simeu etc.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Caleb Watts on 10:24 - Jun 24 with 829 viewsButty101

Caleb Watts on 09:14 - Jun 24 by SaintNick

Some players take longer to break through, look at Mikhail Antonio, at 20 Reading loaned him to Saints, although he had his moments here, he only started 14 games, plus another 14 as sub and was even hauled off after only 34 minutes in a 0-0 draw with Wycombe.

He then spent the next 3 years as a fringe player at Reading followed by another seasons on loan in League One with Colchester and Sheffield Wednesday.

He finally hit the Championship in 2012/13 and had three seasons there, before finally getting his big break with West Ham in 2015 aged 25.

Mostly it is about loaning players out to find their level, but not always, look at any club and the ratio of first team breakthroughs to be a long term squad member from the youth ranks is very low, maybe 1 every 3 or 4 years.

We are suffering because we didn't have a youth team 12 years ago, we couldnt snap up the youngsters aged 8, we had to find older prospects stuck at other clubs, Nathan Tella, Yan Valery. Thierry Small, Livramento, Simeu etc.

Its not so much that we have had a gap. Its the fact the premiership bar is higher.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Caleb Watts on 16:01 - Jun 24 with 715 viewsMonksway

Caleb Watts on 10:24 - Jun 24 by Butty101

Its not so much that we have had a gap. Its the fact the premiership bar is higher.

I think some of the loans to lower league sides are precursors to moves when their contracts begin to run down. I'll be surprised if we see Vokins, Ramsey, Nndulu again and suspect they will be joined by a few more youngsters that won't make the grade.
Caleb Watts on 10:35 - Jun 25 with 615 viewssledger

going back in time the worst thing they ever did was was to disband the old reserve combination league,these players got to play with senior squad players,injured players returning in other words they got to play mens football rather than the under 16/18/21 football which are nothing more than training games in which they learn very little thats why clubs need to loan them out to further their careers and see if they can hack it
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024