Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This week 21:28 - Jun 25 with 1148 viewsPatfromPoole

Think we might see some activity on the ins and outs.

I believe 30 June is when a number of contracts end, and also when players receive “loyalty bonuses“ (sigh..…) for having been at their club for the last season.

Still think we need 8 or 9 players, and that’s before we lose any such as Bednarek; wouldn’t be surprised if Oriol departed either.

Need to get cracking if we are going to have a chance of retaining our 16th Place Trophy.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2022 21:29]

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

This week on 08:37 - Jun 26 with 1005 viewsTripleNiemi

Dread to think of how snowflake our midfield will be if Oriol moves on

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

This week on 08:59 - Jun 26 with 986 viewsPatfromPoole

This week on 08:37 - Jun 26 by TripleNiemi

Dread to think of how snowflake our midfield will be if Oriol moves on

Aye; we’ll really miss him if he goes.

But the longer it goes on without a new contract being sorted, the more likely I fear it is.

This week on 09:35 - Jun 26 with 958 viewsSaintNick

This week on 08:59 - Jun 26 by PatfromPoole

Aye; we’ll really miss him if he goes.

But the longer it goes on without a new contract being sorted, the more likely I fear it is.

I truly like Oriol Romeu as a player, I think the question here is that he will be 31 in September, so the issue will be that he has one year left on his contract, so signing a new deal isn't clear cut.

Would we be willing to offer him the same money or more to sign a 3 year deal for instance which will end as he approaches 34 and perhaps be paying big money for a player who at 32/33 isnt a regular anymore.

Perhaps the best thing for both parties is to see the deal out, from Romeu's point of view he can stay on the same money and then see what his options are and from the clubs point of view they wont be tied in to a long term deal for a player past his best.

As I said I am a big fan of Oriol Romeu, he has been a great servant to the club, but he will be 31 soon and age will catch up with him a little, a little pace will go and reflexes will not be so sharp.

If he was two years younger I would be saying tie him into a new deal, but he isn't and I am sure this is part of the clubs thinking.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

This week on 10:03 - Jun 26 with 935 viewsPatfromPoole

This week on 09:35 - Jun 26 by SaintNick

I truly like Oriol Romeu as a player, I think the question here is that he will be 31 in September, so the issue will be that he has one year left on his contract, so signing a new deal isn't clear cut.

Would we be willing to offer him the same money or more to sign a 3 year deal for instance which will end as he approaches 34 and perhaps be paying big money for a player who at 32/33 isnt a regular anymore.

Perhaps the best thing for both parties is to see the deal out, from Romeu's point of view he can stay on the same money and then see what his options are and from the clubs point of view they wont be tied in to a long term deal for a player past his best.

As I said I am a big fan of Oriol Romeu, he has been a great servant to the club, but he will be 31 soon and age will catch up with him a little, a little pace will go and reflexes will not be so sharp.

If he was two years younger I would be saying tie him into a new deal, but he isn't and I am sure this is part of the clubs thinking.

But if they agree a new deal with Shane, who is 4 or 5 years older, and plays in a position more reliant on pace and guile……

This week on 10:21 - Jun 26 with 907 viewsSaintNick

This week on 10:03 - Jun 26 by PatfromPoole

But if they agree a new deal with Shane, who is 4 or 5 years older, and plays in a position more reliant on pace and guile……

Its not about his age it is about his current salary, Shane Long is a free agent so there is a blank canvas.

Oriol is on a contract signed as a 27 year old and is on the wages that are in line with that.

So lets say Oriol is now on £50k a week till next summer, if he was a free agent now we would not offer essentially a 31 year old £50 k a week on a 2 or 3 year deal, we would offer more like £35 k

Ideally we would offer Oriol a 3 year deal now, but it would be £35 k a week and certainly not £50 k and face a situation where in the last 2 years of that deal his legs have gone .

Would Oriol tear up his current contract and renegotiate this season at £35k ? Probably not as that would see him wave goodbye to around £750k.

All these figures are hypothetical so lets not start debates about Romeu being on £50k etc etc.

The issue here isn't the players ability it is about money and the fact that going forward his salary will drop

This week on 10:23 - Jun 26 with 902 viewsPatfromPoole

This week on 10:21 - Jun 26 by SaintNick

Its not about his age it is about his current salary, Shane Long is a free agent so there is a blank canvas.

Oriol is on a contract signed as a 27 year old and is on the wages that are in line with that.

So lets say Oriol is now on £50k a week till next summer, if he was a free agent now we would not offer essentially a 31 year old £50 k a week on a 2 or 3 year deal, we would offer more like £35 k

Ideally we would offer Oriol a 3 year deal now, but it would be £35 k a week and certainly not £50 k and face a situation where in the last 2 years of that deal his legs have gone .

Would Oriol tear up his current contract and renegotiate this season at £35k ? Probably not as that would see him wave goodbye to around £750k.

All these figures are hypothetical so lets not start debates about Romeu being on £50k etc etc.

The issue here isn't the players ability it is about money and the fact that going forward his salary will drop

Has James Milner’s salary dropped at Liverpool?

This week on 10:34 - Jun 26 with 878 viewsSaintNick

This week on 10:23 - Jun 26 by PatfromPoole

Has James Milner’s salary dropped at Liverpool?

Apparently so as per the link below, he was on £140k a week, Liverpool weren't going to offer him the same terms as 3 years ago.

Once you get in your 30's for most players their salary value starts to drop, most clubs won't advertise the fact that they are resigning players on lower wages, it's not good for pr etc.

Read Saints social media over the years and there have been plenty of moaning about players being on high wages and long term contracts and not being worth the money.

Will Gareth Bale sign a deal at the same value as his Real Madrid contract, indeed could he have got the same money elsewhere in the past two years ?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12628852/james-milner-liverpool-mi

This week on 11:29 - Jun 26 with 818 viewsPatfromPoole

This week on 10:34 - Jun 26 by SaintNick

Apparently so as per the link below, he was on £140k a week, Liverpool weren't going to offer him the same terms as 3 years ago.

Once you get in your 30's for most players their salary value starts to drop, most clubs won't advertise the fact that they are resigning players on lower wages, it's not good for pr etc.

Read Saints social media over the years and there have been plenty of moaning about players being on high wages and long term contracts and not being worth the money.

Will Gareth Bale sign a deal at the same value as his Real Madrid contract, indeed could he have got the same money elsewhere in the past two years ?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12628852/james-milner-liverpool-mi

Interesting.

James Milner would have been a fantastic signing for us, even at 36.

Login to get fewer ads

This week on 11:41 - Jun 26 with 793 viewsTripleNiemi

This week on 11:29 - Jun 26 by PatfromPoole

Interesting.

James Milner would have been a fantastic signing for us, even at 36.

No re-sale value.......

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

This week on 16:39 - Jun 26 with 655 viewssledger

i dont think oriol wants to play under the w*nker we have in charge,thats why i think his form fell off a cliff and now theres talk of him leaving,dont think hes the only one either.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024