Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dembele 21:50 - Jul 9 with 3727 viewsPatfromPoole

This would be a bit of a swoop if true…..

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/football/premier-league/5740633/southampton-celtic

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Dembele on 22:08 - Jul 9 with 2840 viewsSaintsforeverj

He's the sort of signing we need up front. Was prolific for Celtic.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Dembele on 22:29 - Jul 9 with 2790 viewsBerber

Interesting
Dembele on 08:16 - Jul 10 with 2609 views1teeminants

Good goal scoring record

19 in 64 for Fulham

51 in 94 for Celtic

67 in 143 for Lyon

You can’t argue with that record.

[Post edited 10 Jul 2022 8:19]

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Dembele on 10:46 - Jul 10 with 2460 viewsSaintNick

Dembele on 08:16 - Jul 10 by 1teeminants

Good goal scoring record

19 in 64 for Fulham

51 in 94 for Celtic

67 in 143 for Lyon

You can’t argue with that record.

[Post edited 10 Jul 2022 8:19]

I can argue with it.

At Fulham he played 40 games plus 16 as sub, mostly in the Championship, scored 15 goals, a goal every 4 games in the Championship is not prolific.

At Celtic 38 plus 17 sub and 26 goals is a good record but it is the Scottish league.

At lyon its exactly a goal every other game, but again Sofiane Boufal is prolific in France.

I wouldn't be unhappy if we signed him, but he hasn't done it in a tough league

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Dembele on 10:53 - Jul 10 with 2452 viewsJaySaint

Dembele on 10:46 - Jul 10 by SaintNick

I can argue with it.

At Fulham he played 40 games plus 16 as sub, mostly in the Championship, scored 15 goals, a goal every 4 games in the Championship is not prolific.

At Celtic 38 plus 17 sub and 26 goals is a good record but it is the Scottish league.

At lyon its exactly a goal every other game, but again Sofiane Boufal is prolific in France.

Neither have..

Bazunu, Leiva, The CB, Aribo, Lis...

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Dembele on 10:55 - Jul 10 with 2433 viewsPatfromPoole

I can argue with it.

Nick, by your criteria the only striker we should have been in for is Haaland.

That’s if the Bundesliga is a tough enough league, of course……

Dembele on 11:00 - Jul 10 with 2419 viewsSaintNick

Dembele on 10:55 - Jul 10 by PatfromPoole

Nick, by your criteria the only striker we should have been in for is Haaland.

That’s if the Bundesliga is a tough enough league, of course……

The only real English benchmark we have is at Fulham and he did not have a great record in the Championship, although he was quite young

Dembele on 11:04 - Jul 10 with 2406 viewsPatfromPoole

Dembele on 11:00 - Jul 10 by SaintNick

The only real English benchmark we have is at Fulham and he did not have a great record in the Championship, although he was quite young

Ligue 1 is a high standard League.

Login to get fewer ads

Dembele on 13:57 - Jul 10 with 2288 views1teeminants

I can argue with it.

I thought you would somehow lol

Neither had Luke Shaw, Alan Shearer, Gareth Bale, are we only to sign players that have done it in a tough league. ?

Those figures you spouted do not match up with what the article says. Are they making it all up ? If you know where the net is you know where the net is and as Pat pointed out Lyon is a good standard.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2022 14:13]

Dembele on 21:07 - Jul 10 with 2107 viewsSaintNick

Dembele on 13:57 - Jul 10 by 1teeminants

I thought you would somehow lol

Neither had Luke Shaw, Alan Shearer, Gareth Bale, are we only to sign players that have done it in a tough league. ?

Those figures you spouted do not match up with what the article says. Are they making it all up ? If you know where the net is you know where the net is and as Pat pointed out Lyon is a good standard.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2022 14:13]

Ligue one is a bit like the Premier League, 1 club dominates it PSG who won it last season by 15 points , there are a couple of others who arent bad, Lille & Marseille, but after that it is teams that you have never heard of.

The stats I used were league games only, thats the only real judge of a striker these days as there are so many cup games played against reserve sides etc.

Quoting Shearer etc is a totally different benchmark to a player who is 26 and scored a few goals in Scotland and France, Sofiane Boufal scored 11 League goals in 29 games for Lille in 2015/16, got 1 goal in 24 in the Premier League for Saints the following season and 3 in 70 appearances in total, he got 8 in 29 games last season in Ligue 1.

The net in France is easier to find out where it is than in the Premier league

Dembele on 21:16 - Jul 10 with 2086 viewsPatfromPoole

Dembele on 21:07 - Jul 10 by SaintNick

Ligue one is a bit like the Premier League, 1 club dominates it PSG who won it last season by 15 points , there are a couple of others who arent bad, Lille & Marseille, but after that it is teams that you have never heard of.

The stats I used were league games only, thats the only real judge of a striker these days as there are so many cup games played against reserve sides etc.

Quoting Shearer etc is a totally different benchmark to a player who is 26 and scored a few goals in Scotland and France, Sofiane Boufal scored 11 League goals in 29 games for Lille in 2015/16, got 1 goal in 24 in the Premier League for Saints the following season and 3 in 70 appearances in total, he got 8 in 29 games last season in Ligue 1.

Apples and pears.

Boufal’s game didn’t suit the Prem. He was too lightweight and was intimidated by a lot of the opponents he came up against.

Whereas physical players who came from Ligue 1 like Drogba, Vieira and Cantona did just fine over here.

The fact Dembele did well in Scotland indicates to me that he would be OK in the Prem physically.

Dembele on 22:05 - Jul 10 with 2031 viewsSaintNick

Dembele on 21:16 - Jul 10 by PatfromPoole

Apples and pears.

Boufal’s game didn’t suit the Prem. He was too lightweight and was intimidated by a lot of the opponents he came up against.

Whereas physical players who came from Ligue 1 like Drogba, Vieira and Cantona did just fine over here.

The fact Dembele did well in Scotland indicates to me that he would be OK in the Prem physically.

With respect Dembele played for a club in Scotland that won 9 League titles in a row and due to Rangers issues they had no real oppositiion, in Dembele's first season they won the title from Rangers by 30 points and scored 106 goals that in itself 32 more than Rangers in second. Dembele got 17 in 29 appearances

It was a turkey shoot.

In his second season it was closer only 9 points, and Celtic only scored 73 goals, Dembele scored 9 in 25 appearances not a great total

As I said if Dembele arrives I will be open minded, all I am saying is his track record is not that great, lets be honest physical didn't come into it for Celtic, they were so much better than the rest, if I had played 29 games for them I would have probably got a few goals in a side that was scoring for fun

Dembele on 23:20 - Jul 10 with 1958 viewsPatfromPoole

Dembele on 22:05 - Jul 10 by SaintNick

With respect Dembele played for a club in Scotland that won 9 League titles in a row and due to Rangers issues they had no real oppositiion, in Dembele's first season they won the title from Rangers by 30 points and scored 106 goals that in itself 32 more than Rangers in second. Dembele got 17 in 29 appearances

It was a turkey shoot.

In his second season it was closer only 9 points, and Celtic only scored 73 goals, Dembele scored 9 in 25 appearances not a great total

As I said if Dembele arrives I will be open minded, all I am saying is his track record is not that great, lets be honest physical didn't come into it for Celtic, they were so much better than the rest, if I had played 29 games for them I would have probably got a few goals in a side that was scoring for fun

I thought you were more of an Alan Hansen; dominating at the back, silky skilled and adept at cynical fouls, time wasting and general shithousery.

Dembele on 23:34 - Jul 10 with 1934 viewsSaintNick

Dembele on 23:20 - Jul 10 by PatfromPoole

I thought you were more of an Alan Hansen; dominating at the back, silky skilled and adept at cynical fouls, time wasting and general shithousery.

I was good for a few goals per season, as Celtic overran Ross County & Partick Thistle four times a season I would fancy myself for a few

Dembele on 23:42 - Jul 10 with 1922 viewsPatfromPoole

Dembele on 23:34 - Jul 10 by SaintNick

I was good for a few goals per season, as Celtic overran Ross County & Partick Thistle four times a season I would fancy myself for a few

Neil McCann apart, we’ve done pretty well from signing players in the Scottish League in my time of watching Saints.

Even Terry Hurlock was a (relative) success…..

Dembele on 07:03 - Jul 11 with 1837 viewsChesham_Saint

Dembele on 11:04 - Jul 10 by PatfromPoole

Ligue 1 is a high standard League.

If so Pat, why do French teams fare so badly in the European competitions? It’s all PSG isn’t it? Worse polarisation than the Sweaties and that’s saying something!

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Dembele on 07:18 - Jul 11 with 1812 viewsPatfromPoole

Dembele on 07:03 - Jul 11 by Chesham_Saint

If so Pat, why do French teams fare so badly in the European competitions? It’s all PSG isn’t it? Worse polarisation than the Sweaties and that’s saying something!

I guess there isn’t the big TV money over in France which would enable the clubs to pay higher wages to top players.

It’s culturally more of a rugby country; idiotic if you ask me.

I think you could say much the same about the English League though re the lack of competition. There are 2 teams who are miles ahead, then 4 or 5 others who have enough finance to compete in Europe. Then everybody else.

Dembele on 08:36 - Jul 11 with 1720 viewsPeterL22

Sorry Ligue 1 is nowhere near as competitive (or as high a standard) as PL. Pace is slower and generally players as less good. Having said that, I’m all for this signing as it’s the first real link with a true striker so far. I can’t believe that we are still linked with more midfielders and little seems to be happening with strikers.
Dembele on 09:16 - Jul 11 with 1658 viewsChesham_Saint

Dembele on 07:18 - Jul 11 by PatfromPoole

I guess there isn’t the big TV money over in France which would enable the clubs to pay higher wages to top players.

It’s culturally more of a rugby country; idiotic if you ask me.

I think you could say much the same about the English League though re the lack of competition. There are 2 teams who are miles ahead, then 4 or 5 others who have enough finance to compete in Europe. Then everybody else.

Yes. As with every other league we are seeing a dangerous polarisation here as well but once Klopp and Pep go there’s every chance of another three, maybe four other clubs who could win. In France though, who else is there? Despite producing some wonderful players in the last 25 years as a footballing nation they’re second rate - in League terms and support.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Dembele on 09:23 - Jul 11 with 1647 views1teeminants

Dembele on 21:07 - Jul 10 by SaintNick

When a striker or indeed anyone is measured on career stats it includes everything and so it should. You don’t hear people say well yes he scored 239 goals in his career but 10 of them should have been offside ,19 were against really Shyte sides , 7 were miskicks , 4 off his arse so they don’t really count either. lol.

Dembele on 09:35 - Jul 11 with 1626 viewsSaintNick

Dembele on 09:23 - Jul 11 by 1teeminants

When a striker or indeed anyone is measured on career stats it includes everything and so it should. You don’t hear people say well yes he scored 239 goals in his career but 10 of them should have been offside ,19 were against really Shyte sides , 7 were miskicks , 4 off his arse so they don’t really count either. lol.

No but we should judge a player by the goals he scores at the level you want him to play, last season Elyounoussi scored 4 Premier League goals in 31 games, a below average return for an attacking midfielder, but if add his 3 cup games and his 4 goals then you get 8 goals in 34 games.

Now that figure looks respectable, that he is a prolific scorer and had a great season in front of goal, what the stat doesn't tell you is that 3 of them came against League two side Newport County and they had put out a weakened side and that we beat them 9-0 .

This 1 game completely gives Elyounoussi's stats for the season a misleading slant.

I agree it doesn't matter how goals go in, but if you want to measure a player then lets do so at the level we want them to play, not in cup games against lower league opposition.

Dembele on 09:39 - Jul 11 with 1616 viewsPatfromPoole

Dembele on 09:35 - Jul 11 by SaintNick

No but we should judge a player by the goals he scores at the level you want him to play, last season Elyounoussi scored 4 Premier League goals in 31 games, a below average return for an attacking midfielder, but if add his 3 cup games and his 4 goals then you get 8 goals in 34 games.

Now that figure looks respectable, that he is a prolific scorer and had a great season in front of goal, what the stat doesn't tell you is that 3 of them came against League two side Newport County and they had put out a weakened side and that we beat them 9-0 .

This 1 game completely gives Elyounoussi's stats for the season a misleading slant.

I agree it doesn't matter how goals go in, but if you want to measure a player then lets do so at the level we want them to play, not in cup games against lower league opposition.

Is that 31 starts in the Prem?

Dembele on 09:43 - Jul 11 with 1604 viewsBuggalugs

Dembele on 09:35 - Jul 11 by SaintNick

8 nil

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Dembele on 09:46 - Jul 11 with 1599 viewsSaintNick

Dembele on 09:39 - Jul 11 by PatfromPoole

Is that 31 starts in the Prem?

23 starts and 7 as sub, but we have to ignore that and base it on his 1 appearance in the League cup, there he averaged a goal every 33 minutes, that is phenomenal.

In fairness to Elyounoussi he only got 2 goals less than Broja, so perhaps we have Broja's replacement already at the club, if we had played Elyounoussi at Cheslea in the League cup and subsequent games in that competition we would have surely won it. Ralph Out

Dembele on 09:52 - Jul 11 with 1588 views1teeminants

Dembele on 09:46 - Jul 11 by SaintNick

23 starts and 7 as sub, but we have to ignore that and base it on his 1 appearance in the League cup, there he averaged a goal every 33 minutes, that is phenomenal.

In fairness to Elyounoussi he only got 2 goals less than Broja, so perhaps we have Broja's replacement already at the club, if we had played Elyounoussi at Cheslea in the League cup and subsequent games in that competition we would have surely won it. Ralph Out

I’ve just heard our offer has been refused and he doesn’t want to come here anyway he wants a bigger club.

Next .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024