Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Statement from the Board 16:02 - Jul 27 with 11490 viewsjudd

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2022/july/statement_27.07.22/

Poll: What is it to be then?

Statement from the Board on 08:09 - Jul 28 with 3190 viewsNorthernDale

As a good will gesture to the hornets, could we not allow the game at Spotland, with the profit gained split between the two clubs. This allow some form of unity amongst the fans of hornets and the Dale, ps what is the average home gate of the hornets.
Statement from the Board on 08:34 - Jul 28 with 3093 viewskel

Statement from the Board on 08:09 - Jul 28 by NorthernDale

As a good will gesture to the hornets, could we not allow the game at Spotland, with the profit gained split between the two clubs. This allow some form of unity amongst the fans of hornets and the Dale, ps what is the average home gate of the hornets.

I wouldn’t be offering goodwill gestures to a club whose chairman uses Twitter to make allegations against Dale directors

Statement from the Board on 09:58 - Jul 28 with 2947 viewsAtThePeake

Statement from the Board on 08:09 - Jul 28 by NorthernDale

Is £11k p/a rent for a Football League standard stadium not enough of a goodwill gesture?

Tangled up in blue.

Statement from the Board on 10:10 - Jul 28 with 2923 views442Dale

Statement from the Board on 09:58 - Jul 28 by AtThePeake

Is £11k p/a rent for a Football League standard stadium not enough of a goodwill gesture?

It’s remarkable that figure hasn’t been known before, unless it was and some of us missed it! The whole thing is a bit sad really, if that game could have been played in the town, it should be. Everything else around it is another argument, one that needs sorting once and for all if those involved don’t think the situation works any more. The noise is distracting and serving no purpose, especially with a football season about to start.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Statement from the Board on 10:32 - Jul 28 with 2838 views49thseason

Ha ha ha, "The head of our admin at the time was at pains to tell anyone who’d listen that the council person responsible for ground safety said he was the most professional chief exec at Rochdale he’d ever dealt with."
......That probably tells us more about RMBC than RAFC!
[Post edited 28 Jul 2022 10:35]
Statement from the Board on 10:34 - Jul 28 with 2822 viewsD_Alien

Statement from the Board on 10:10 - Jul 28 by 442Dale

It’s remarkable that figure hasn’t been known before, unless it was and some of us missed it! The whole thing is a bit sad really, if that game could have been played in the town, it should be. Everything else around it is another argument, one that needs sorting once and for all if those involved don’t think the situation works any more. The noise is distracting and serving no purpose, especially with a football season about to start.

If Mazey got his house in order and started to behave in a responsible and Chairman-like manner, the Dale board should be magnanimous enough to recognise the potential for a reconciliation. The terms of Hornets tenancy are clear enough. Whilst the letter of the agreement needs to be observed by both sides, the spirit of the agreement is just as important

I'm absolutely convinced this situation is doing Dale no good, and i'd hope our board, given the shite they've had to deal with and still have to, would want this putting to bed. For Christ's sake, give each other a call and get your heads round this

We can also play our part, as fans of a "fan-owned club". If, ultimately, Hornets leave the COA, let's make damn sure they can't claim they were driven out, or we'll never hear the end of this. Hornets represent the town, and anything which looks like a deliberate act of doing them down will remain a stain on us all
[Post edited 28 Jul 2022 12:27]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Statement from the Board on 10:41 - Jul 28 with 2812 viewsgolfaduffy

Statement from the Board on 09:58 - Jul 28 by AtThePeake

The rent was agreed by the Board of both clubs has a much lower than commercial amount because RAFC were keen to regain full control of the stadium. That was the price they was prepared to take.

It's a commercial price that both clubs (and the council) were very happy with at the time it was signed.

The football club also agreed to pay off all the Stadium Company debts, which was good for Hornets.

Move forward to today, and we ave a new Board at the football club who seem to be more business minded than the old one, and they are no longer prepared to risk being liable for problems that might arise from hosting this match .

It sounds like there was a verbal agreement to host it given by 2 ex members of staff. it should come has no surprise to anyone that Bottomley was involved, as everything he touched as turned out to be either wrong, or commercially awful.

Still think a workable compromise should have been reached here. As things stand, neither the AFC new Board or Hornets come out of it with much credit. The town as lost out I'm afraid and the relationship between landlord and tenant is as bad as ever.
Statement from the Board on 11:33 - Jul 28 with 2644 viewsjudd

Hornets respond:

https://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article/1122/board-statement-in-response-to

Login to get fewer ads

Statement from the Board on 11:39 - Jul 28 with 2617 viewsDaleiLama

I have some sympathy with the posters on here who are Hornets fans and I sat next to one for a few seasons, but when you pay a peppercorn rent, you don't then "go legal" as the first step of negotiations and expect no collateral damage ffs. RAFC's very existence was under threat, Southall sabre-rattled a legal injunction to prevent the EGM taking place and the MH legal issue remains outstanding.

It should come as no surprise, even to a traffic cone, that when the club (and it's supporters by association) received another legal threat, the collective response was to go porcupine-mode and come out fighting.

There have been calls for mediation. The success of that, even if both sides want to try to rebuild bridges, will depend on what RH say next. I hope AM chooses his words wisely and seeks to collaborate rather than antagonise further. If the latter, this will only end one way. Of course, as others have alluded to, that may have been his end-game all along?

Edit: Just read Judd's posted statement. Mildly conciliatory whilst pouring more oil on troubled waters at the same time. A dirty mess which does nothing to benefit either club sadly, and a most unwanted distraction 2 days before our first game.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2022 11:48]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Statement from the Board on 11:47 - Jul 28 with 2586 viewsJames1980

Statement from the Board on 11:33 - Jul 28 by judd

Hornets respond:

https://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article/1122/board-statement-in-response-to

Sorry being lazy, does it explain why they waited till just before the season started to announce the fixture being moved?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Statement from the Board on 11:50 - Jul 28 with 2574 viewsDaleiLama

Statement from the Board on 11:47 - Jul 28 by James1980

Sorry being lazy, does it explain why they waited till just before the season started to announce the fixture being moved?

No. I guess AM's motives regarding everything to do with his ownership will only come out over a period time, just like what went on behind the scenes at the Dale.

Statement from the Board on 11:55 - Jul 28 with 2555 viewsjudd

Statement from the Board on 11:47 - Jul 28 by James1980

Didn't it coincide with the release of the new England kit?

Statement from the Board on 12:08 - Jul 28 with 2473 viewsfinberty

Good to see the high standard of grammar in that statement.

Two typos spotted on the first fast read-through.

Attention to detail, or lack of it, seems to be a thing.
Statement from the Board on 12:25 - Jul 28 with 2409 viewsJames1980

Statement from the Board on 11:55 - Jul 28 by judd

Didn't it coincide with the release of the new England kit?

Which sport? I see our board are criticised for revealing details of the agreement regards using the ground. I'd say comments made by representatives of RH forced them into making those revelations.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Statement from the Board on 12:30 - Jul 28 with 2385 viewsCedar_Room

Statement from the Board on 11:39 - Jul 28 by DaleiLama

I have some sympathy with the posters on here who are Hornets fans and I sat next to one for a few seasons, but when you pay a peppercorn rent, you don't then "go legal" as the first step of negotiations and expect no collateral damage ffs. RAFC's very existence was under threat, Southall sabre-rattled a legal injunction to prevent the EGM taking place and the MH legal issue remains outstanding.

It should come as no surprise, even to a traffic cone, that when the club (and it's supporters by association) received another legal threat, the collective response was to go porcupine-mode and come out fighting.

There have been calls for mediation. The success of that, even if both sides want to try to rebuild bridges, will depend on what RH say next. I hope AM chooses his words wisely and seeks to collaborate rather than antagonise further. If the latter, this will only end one way. Of course, as others have alluded to, that may have been his end-game all along?

Edit: Just read Judd's posted statement. Mildly conciliatory whilst pouring more oil on troubled waters at the same time. A dirty mess which does nothing to benefit either club sadly, and a most unwanted distraction 2 days before our first game.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2022 11:48]

doesn't come across as conciliatory at all to me! Just puts all the blame on us for the fixture not going ahead.
They quote this clause

Schedule 3, 2.2.2 states the tenant may occupy the premises at such other time or times as the Landlord shall in its absolute discretion permit but to limit including a maximum of three friendly games

which to my understanding quite clearly states the Landlord (RAFC) has absolute discretion to permit the tenant (Hornets) occupying the premises. Meaning it would ultimately need RAFC's agreement to host any match (which we say they did not have). But more importantly this clearly applies to the TENANTS (ROCHDALE HORNETS) making use of the premises including friendly games. ENGLAND RUGBY ARE NOT A TENANT OF THE CROWN OIL ARENA. This was not a Hornets friendly match! How can they possibly think it is a winning argument to claim this paragraph, allowing the TENANTS (Hornets) to play at Spotland, could simply be applied to anyone Hornets decided should play there. As I said in a previous post we are simply dealing with morons here.

This arrangement does not benefit RAFC in the slightest. We have assumed all the debts and running costs for the stadium whilst Hornets somehow think they get to keep using it as they see fit. You had your chance to do that egg chasers and all that happened was the stadium company racked up loads of debt and you sold off part of your stake to the RFL. I see no reason whatsoever for this relationship to continue Hornets need to get out and find their own accommodation. There must be a field with a bus shelter somewhere that would be more than adequate for their use.
Statement from the Board on 12:35 - Jul 28 with 2348 viewsZac_B

Statement from the Board on 12:08 - Jul 28 by finberty

Good to see the high standard of grammar in that statement.

Two typos spotted on the first fast read-through.

Attention to detail, or lack of it, seems to be a thing.

I noticed that too (Were/where). Might seem pedantic, but it instantly makes me think less of a statement when that happens.
Statement from the Board on 12:37 - Jul 28 with 2331 viewsborodale

Personally see the the stand off the board as spot on. Hornets have been a drain on the football club for too long, time to get there own house in order and act professionally rather than stamping there feet whenever the football club doesn't jump. There free to leave but somehow doubt they will !!!
Statement from the Board on 12:38 - Jul 28 with 2309 viewsD_Alien

Statement from the Board on 12:25 - Jul 28 by James1980

Which sport? I see our board are criticised for revealing details of the agreement regards using the ground. I'd say comments made by representatives of RH forced them into making those revelations.

I wouldn't say forced James, but putting out misinformation (by Hornets) might be seen as undermining any requirement for commercial confidentiality

If Mazey has indeed got a hidden agenda, or is being prompted into one by ousted manipulators, the best course of action is to remain steadfast whilst that agenda gradually reveals itself. The ball is firmly in Mazey's court to make a move which suggests he's got Hornets best interests in staying at the COA to the fore, and he should know that ball is spherical

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Statement from the Board on 13:05 - Jul 28 with 2190 viewsDaleiLama

Statement from the Board on 12:30 - Jul 28 by Cedar_Room

doesn't come across as conciliatory at all to me! Just puts all the blame on us for the fixture not going ahead.
They quote this clause

Schedule 3, 2.2.2 states the tenant may occupy the premises at such other time or times as the Landlord shall in its absolute discretion permit but to limit including a maximum of three friendly games

which to my understanding quite clearly states the Landlord (RAFC) has absolute discretion to permit the tenant (Hornets) occupying the premises. Meaning it would ultimately need RAFC's agreement to host any match (which we say they did not have). But more importantly this clearly applies to the TENANTS (ROCHDALE HORNETS) making use of the premises including friendly games. ENGLAND RUGBY ARE NOT A TENANT OF THE CROWN OIL ARENA. This was not a Hornets friendly match! How can they possibly think it is a winning argument to claim this paragraph, allowing the TENANTS (Hornets) to play at Spotland, could simply be applied to anyone Hornets decided should play there. As I said in a previous post we are simply dealing with morons here.

This arrangement does not benefit RAFC in the slightest. We have assumed all the debts and running costs for the stadium whilst Hornets somehow think they get to keep using it as they see fit. You had your chance to do that egg chasers and all that happened was the stadium company racked up loads of debt and you sold off part of your stake to the RFL. I see no reason whatsoever for this relationship to continue Hornets need to get out and find their own accommodation. There must be a field with a bus shelter somewhere that would be more than adequate for their use.

Mildly conciliatory as in "Both parties remain in dialogue over the remaining disputes which we are attempting to reconcile. This includes, ground use, change of our office space and loss of our retail facility amongst others."

Of course the rest of it is going to be finger pointing (the oil on troubled water) regarding the Fiji fixture, but our board has made its position clear and everyone who can read now knows the truth of it - I wouldn't expect that last ball from RH to be batted back by our BoD as washing dirty laundry in public benefits no one. To extend Sandyman's analogy about holding the Stones concert in Wozza's back garden, that agreement was made - allegedly verbally - when the previous occupants lived there. Wozza is now king of his castle and he paid a lot of money for the right to that crown!

I also wouldn't be surprised in the slightest, despite the quote copy/pasted in para 1 above, if this clause is triggered. "The next ability that Rochdale Hornets has to serve notice is on 1st December 2022 if they chose to do so". Many will see that as an early Santa Claus
[Post edited 28 Jul 2022 13:14]

Statement from the Board on 13:16 - Jul 28 with 2136 viewsHullDale

Statement from the Board on 13:05 - Jul 28 by DaleiLama

Mildly conciliatory as in "Both parties remain in dialogue over the remaining disputes which we are attempting to reconcile. This includes, ground use, change of our office space and loss of our retail facility amongst others."

Of course the rest of it is going to be finger pointing (the oil on troubled water) regarding the Fiji fixture, but our board has made its position clear and everyone who can read now knows the truth of it - I wouldn't expect that last ball from RH to be batted back by our BoD as washing dirty laundry in public benefits no one. To extend Sandyman's analogy about holding the Stones concert in Wozza's back garden, that agreement was made - allegedly verbally - when the previous occupants lived there. Wozza is now king of his castle and he paid a lot of money for the right to that crown!

I also wouldn't be surprised in the slightest, despite the quote copy/pasted in para 1 above, if this clause is triggered. "The next ability that Rochdale Hornets has to serve notice is on 1st December 2022 if they chose to do so". Many will see that as an early Santa Claus

My concern is that this publicity might be manna from heaven for Mazey.

He has stated on twitter that there was a 'legally binding clause' when they took over Hornets that they couldn't change name & location. Somebody better versed legally than me may correct me, but how could they change that? Board / shareholder vote? In which case, Mazey could easily get that passed and make the change / move blaming RAFC and the recent debate?

Less 'under the cover of darkness' and more 'in plain sight'.
Statement from the Board on 13:23 - Jul 28 with 2112 viewsjudd

Statement from the Board on 13:05 - Jul 28 by DaleiLama

It is clear that Hornets & the RFL proceeded in the belief that the Directors and executives of RAFC at the time had agreed to the international fixture going ahead. Not at all sure if the clause as referenced re: friendlies was referenced at the time as Hornets exercising their right to stage such a high profile friendly fixture.

The landlord's representatives at the time have failed to carry out due diligence in what is required to stage such an event in that no documented agreement is or was available to cover the risk of hiring the venue to be attended in relatively large numbers by the general public.

As a new director coming in, would you want to risk facing a corprorate manslaughter charge should a fatality occur at an event for which you have legal responsibility?

I really feel for Hornets, the RFL , the town and rugby league fans, but it seems to me that our new board have spotted an error and have attempted to correct it.

The one grey area still remaining is how the AFC are portraying events re their heads of terms on offer and Hornets claiming numerous proposals to get the game on. Either way, the game should not have gone ahead at any cost unless RMBC were willing to stump up any shortfalls, in my opinion.

Statement from the Board on 15:16 - Jul 28 with 1804 viewsDaleiLama

Statement from the Board on 13:23 - Jul 28 by judd

It is clear that Hornets & the RFL proceeded in the belief that the Directors and executives of RAFC at the time had agreed to the international fixture going ahead. Not at all sure if the clause as referenced re: friendlies was referenced at the time as Hornets exercising their right to stage such a high profile friendly fixture.

The landlord's representatives at the time have failed to carry out due diligence in what is required to stage such an event in that no documented agreement is or was available to cover the risk of hiring the venue to be attended in relatively large numbers by the general public.

As a new director coming in, would you want to risk facing a corprorate manslaughter charge should a fatality occur at an event for which you have legal responsibility?

I really feel for Hornets, the RFL , the town and rugby league fans, but it seems to me that our new board have spotted an error and have attempted to correct it.

The one grey area still remaining is how the AFC are portraying events re their heads of terms on offer and Hornets claiming numerous proposals to get the game on. Either way, the game should not have gone ahead at any cost unless RMBC were willing to stump up any shortfalls, in my opinion.

I think the new BoD have acted professionally and in the interests of RAFC by doing due diligence on everything they are faced with, as far as we can be aware, and quite rightly, they are not going to lay themselves or the club open to any risk or financial liability, over and above the balancing act of running the club on a day-to-day basis.

Whilst having no interest in RL whatsoever, I do share your sentiments regarding the fixture and the fall-out, for all the reasons already stated by yourself, Pioneer and others and knowing how I would feel if it was something I cared about.

Statement from the Board on 16:42 - Jul 28 with 1607 views49thseason

When you consider what Hornets have been getting for £11k per season you realise that they are probably only still in existance because the AFC has been effectively sponsoring them all these years.

11K is less than £1 per spectator per season and when you realise this covers pitch maintenance, changing rooms cleaning, hot water, electricity, floodlights, bar staff, heating, a shop, a ticket office, post match cleaning, referees facilities, telephone lines, parking spaces, turnstiles, business rates, water rates, insurance, etc etc.

Put simply without RAFC underwriting them to the tune of 10s of thousands if not 100s of thousands, Hornets would be playing on Firgrove by now. As with all these sorts of arrangements, eventually something has to give, perhaps it just has. And I dont necessarily blame Hornets, the Rugby League has to bear some of the responsibility for the state of the game at all but the highest levels.
Statement from the Board on 18:30 - Jul 28 with 1367 viewshammerdale

Statement from the Board on 01:08 - Jul 28 by ThreeLions

Yes I agree let's have a degree of decoram

😁😁😁
Statement from the Board on 18:33 - Jul 28 with 1361 viewshammerdale

Statement from the Board on 10:34 - Jul 28 by D_Alien

If Mazey got his house in order and started to behave in a responsible and Chairman-like manner, the Dale board should be magnanimous enough to recognise the potential for a reconciliation. The terms of Hornets tenancy are clear enough. Whilst the letter of the agreement needs to be observed by both sides, the spirit of the agreement is just as important

I'm absolutely convinced this situation is doing Dale no good, and i'd hope our board, given the shite they've had to deal with and still have to, would want this putting to bed. For Christ's sake, give each other a call and get your heads round this

We can also play our part, as fans of a "fan-owned club". If, ultimately, Hornets leave the COA, let's make damn sure they can't claim they were driven out, or we'll never hear the end of this. Hornets represent the town, and anything which looks like a deliberate act of doing them down will remain a stain on us all
[Post edited 28 Jul 2022 12:27]

Well said
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024