Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crewe Match Thread.. 07:34 - Jul 29 with 22318 viewsdale1968

Thought I would start this early as we KO tomorrow against Crewe at the COA.
Think that a top 10 finish is achievable this season whith the signings RS has made over the last few weeks, especially that of Hendo's return to the club.
would be great to start the campaign with 3pts and see how we go.
UTDNFS

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Crewe Match Thread.. on 02:53 - Jul 31 with 4394 viewshammerdale

Crewe Match Thread.. on 10:16 - Jul 29 by D_Alien

Trivial fact: i don't think we've played a league fixture in July before, but it'll leave June as the only month we've not played one in

It'd not be beyond the bounds of possibility. If we were in a playoff final that got postponed or abandoned, the rearranged fixture could be in early June

(Hope tomorrow's not as boring as that lot! )

7th June 1947 drew 3-3 at Rotherham
Crewe Match Thread.. on 02:58 - Jul 31 with 4377 viewshammerdale

Crewe Match Thread.. on 02:53 - Jul 31 by hammerdale

7th June 1947 drew 3-3 at Rotherham

Apologies already mentioned ☹
Crewe Match Thread.. on 07:32 - Jul 31 with 4244 viewsNewbury_Dale

I was concerned with EEL, he looked very slow.

It all looked to be happening a bit too quick early on for Diaghoura, thought he struggled with the pace of the game.

Graham played well. I was pleasantly surprised. Nelson will be a good player this season, undoubtedly.

On the basis of the last fifteen minutes, Brierley gives more energy going forward than Kelly, and uses the ball better, has to start. Ideally we need another centre mid. Unsure on Bell ATM.

Concerned about left wing-back. Don't think we can use Adoh in that role away from home. Manager clearly has no faith in White. Maybe John can play there and Nelson comes in at CB ?

Henderson will need to work a bit harder than he did first half. Only came into the game when he upped his work rate.

No tannoy in the Sandy Lane.

Fans Zone, nice idea but needs some air-con in there. We went in at 2pm it was like a sweat box. Left.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2022 7:33]
Crewe Match Thread.. on 11:10 - Jul 31 with 3849 viewsD_Alien

Crewe Match Thread.. on 07:32 - Jul 31 by Newbury_Dale

I was concerned with EEL, he looked very slow.

It all looked to be happening a bit too quick early on for Diaghoura, thought he struggled with the pace of the game.

Graham played well. I was pleasantly surprised. Nelson will be a good player this season, undoubtedly.

On the basis of the last fifteen minutes, Brierley gives more energy going forward than Kelly, and uses the ball better, has to start. Ideally we need another centre mid. Unsure on Bell ATM.

Concerned about left wing-back. Don't think we can use Adoh in that role away from home. Manager clearly has no faith in White. Maybe John can play there and Nelson comes in at CB ?

Henderson will need to work a bit harder than he did first half. Only came into the game when he upped his work rate.

No tannoy in the Sandy Lane.

Fans Zone, nice idea but needs some air-con in there. We went in at 2pm it was like a sweat box. Left.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2022 7:33]

Some excellent points there

We can't afford to have anyone strolling through games against L2 sides with high-energy approaches or we'll get steam-rollered. I don't watch pre-season warm up games but i'd say we've wasted them on yesterday's start - not what i was expecting at all

[Post edited 31 Jul 2022 11:12]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Crewe Match Thread.. on 11:26 - Jul 31 with 3795 viewssxdale

Didn't go yesterday but judging by other comments it seems worryingly similar to last season, start slowly give the opposition a couple of goals lead and then start to play. Need to be on it from the start.
Not hitting the panic button just yet, but Robbie has been backed by the board over the summer I would give him to Christmas to get it right
Crewe Match Thread.. on 11:52 - Jul 31 with 3706 viewssamueloneils

Just a little perspective needed 1MO.

Crewe were bottom of league 1 last season with 29 points- 8 points behind the rest, and a cool 21 points behind where we finished last time in the same league.

We will never get an easier first fixture. Next game Gillingham- they got 40 points and relegated.

Big improvements needed. Kelly and Henderson will never play worse than yesterday.
Crewe Match Thread.. on 12:06 - Jul 31 with 3652 viewsHullDale

If I was to sum up how I feel after yesterday in one word, it'd be deflated.

I don't buy the 'debutants' line in the post match interview, as (with the exception of Nelson) everybody who played has had at least one friendly match and a couple of weeks in the building.

My main concern is that I just don't know what our style or identity is. Long balls down the channels for wing backs to chase or some fancy one twos on the wing by the half way line seem to be the only consistent ideas. I also agree that we didn't seem to have any sense of urgency - 2 nil or 2 one down and we're leisurely walking to get the ball for throw ins etc. It wasn't an easy watch at all yesterday, and we need to see a reaction next week before we sleep walk into real difficulties.

Team for next week (if no new signings)..

O'Donnell
Nelson Ebanks-Landell John
Seriki Brierley Diagouraga Ball Odoh
Rodney Charman
Crewe Match Thread.. on 12:10 - Jul 31 with 3642 views442Dale

Crewe Match Thread.. on 11:52 - Jul 31 by samueloneils

Crewe were bottom of league 1 last season with 29 points- 8 points behind the rest, and a cool 21 points behind where we finished last time in the same league.

We will never get an easier first fixture. Next game Gillingham- they got 40 points and relegated.

Big improvements needed. Kelly and Henderson will never play worse than yesterday.

It wasn’t great yesterday but it’s impossible to compare Crewe of last season to yesterday as, like us, their squad is probably much changed. I thought they defended well throughout and had some talented players up front too.

Never get an easier first fixture? Aldershot 1990, just taken over by someone who turned out to be dubious and in disarray.
Hartlepool in 2013 was an easy victory too.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

Crewe Match Thread.. on 12:32 - Jul 31 with 3551 viewssamueloneils

There was a lack of organisation yesterday, even allowing for debutants. Some old gripes.
Why every man back as usual when they scored from the free kick- no outball and what use is Kelly to defend a free kick anyway- upfield he would take two defenders.
Is Ball given free rein to wander anywhere- even when we are struggling in midfield.
Henderson- is he fit? Totally anonimous.

A few positives.
Odoh was superb- always willing to run at defenders and it was him that Crewe were worried about.
Diacouraga I thought was excellent at first sight.
Rodney is at last a target man upfront- much moreso than Campbell or Charman . Why on earth take him off just after he scored and with us desperately needing a goal.
Nelson- brief acquaintance, but looks a potential star.

I think Brierley is a must start. I would still play him alongside Kelly- but force Kelly to play up the field.

A lot of thinking needs to be done by RS this week
Crewe Match Thread.. on 12:36 - Jul 31 with 3528 viewsjonahwhereru

Can’t comment on the match itself as I didn’t see it, but I will just throw this out there. Henderson towards the end of his last spell here used to drift out of games. Shame as when he was on it he could do a great turn anywhere in the final third. I would be surprised if he will be able to put in the all action performances of yesteryear very often. He is though perfect as a routine sub introduction around the hour mark, especially if Charman and Rodney can work the defenders hard beforehand. Not sure how Hendo would take to the idea of being a bit player mind.
Crewe Match Thread.. on 12:39 - Jul 31 with 3524 viewsD_Alien

Crewe Match Thread.. on 11:52 - Jul 31 by samueloneils

It's not that Hendo played badly. When he had the ball he used it well, especially around the penalty box, but his lack of involvement for much of the game meant that Crewe were virtually playing with an extra man, hence the first 20 minutes

And when an injection of forward energy was required, especially after our goal, keeping him on at the expense of an energised goalscorer was a mistake. My concern is that RS will be too swayed by his previous history with Dale to make the right decisions, which will also have the other forwards wondering that too

Crewe Match Thread.. on 12:44 - Jul 31 with 3514 viewssamueloneils

Agree about Hendo. Still my hero though.
Crewe Match Thread.. on 18:30 - Jul 31 with 3008 viewsShun

Crewe Match Thread.. on 11:10 - Jul 31 by D_Alien

Some excellent points there

We can't afford to have anyone strolling through games against L2 sides with high-energy approaches or we'll get steam-rollered. I don't watch pre-season warm up games but i'd say we've wasted them on yesterday's start - not what i was expecting at all

[Post edited 31 Jul 2022 11:12]

I do always wonder about our pre-season strategy. Unless I’m mistaken, all the sides we played bar one were non-league. I think we’d gain more benefit playing sides around League One, rather than teams we’re expected to beat and have no resemblance to the opponents we’ll be facing during the season.
Crewe Match Thread.. on 20:18 - Jul 31 with 2824 viewsTVOS1907

Crewe Match Thread.. on 18:30 - Jul 31 by Shun

I do always wonder about our pre-season strategy. Unless I’m mistaken, all the sides we played bar one were non-league. I think we’d gain more benefit playing sides around League One, rather than teams we’re expected to beat and have no resemblance to the opponents we’ll be facing during the season.

Unfortunately, Shun it's not as straightforward as it sounds.

As the lower ranked side, we would normally be expected to be at home in such friendlies and given we are limited as to how much we can use Spotland during the close season, it means we generally play more friendlies away against sides of a lower rank.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Crewe Match Thread.. on 21:19 - Jul 31 with 2713 viewsShun

Crewe Match Thread.. on 20:18 - Jul 31 by TVOS1907

Unfortunately, Shun it's not as straightforward as it sounds.

As the lower ranked side, we would normally be expected to be at home in such friendlies and given we are limited as to how much we can use Spotland during the close season, it means we generally play more friendlies away against sides of a lower rank.

Fair answer, that makes sense.
Crewe Match Thread.. on 21:22 - Jul 31 with 2700 viewsTVOS1907

Crewe Match Thread.. on 21:19 - Jul 31 by Shun

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it's very rare for a higher ranked team to be at home in a friendly.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Crewe Match Thread.. on 21:26 - Jul 31 with 2693 viewsD_Alien

Crewe Match Thread.. on 21:19 - Jul 31 by Shun

Yes, an interesting perspective and maybe has an influence on how our board view the tenancy arrangement with their erm... tenants

Crewe Match Thread.. on 09:55 - Aug 1 with 2338 viewsDaleiLama

Crewe Match Thread.. on 14:58 - Jul 30 by KnavesmireBob

Sadly missing it today as on my holidays but excited to see us finally get underway. Like others I'm hoping there's a LWB and Conor replacement in the pipeline, am sure that'll be the case in the coming days.

Main hope as the season kicks off is that Robbie spent part of his summer watching Baz McCullum's England test cricket team and Sarina Wiegman's England ladies. This summer has convinced me there's a new leadership style emerging in sport. In the 2010's the bellwether seemed to be Dave Brailsford and Team Sky - marginal gains, data obsession, analysts everywhere you look. Breeds winners for a while but at what cost in a stressful, intense environment.

I reckon the coming post-Covid years will be more about freeing players minds and releasing the pressures of too much information complexity. Living in the present moment and playing like you're on the streets with your mates again. McCullum/Stokes have given us a glimpse of what can be achieved with a more liberating and relaxed management style, completely transforming the same players almost overnight, and Wiegman's doing much the same with the Lionesses. Loads of highly sophisticated process and detail behind the scenes, but when they cross the white line they know the leadership is completely backing them to go out and express themselves, make mistakes and enjoy the privilege of playing professional sport for a living and entertaining the fans.

Easy to say but much harder to achieve, and to that end I think this season is really all about Robbie. He's looked and sounded great through pre-season and I really hope this is the year he establishes himself as an excellent new manager. I'm not too worried about the players, if they're happy and motivated they're good enough. Enjoy the match everyone and fingers crossed for 3 points come 5pm!

Interesting points KB - I'm always fascinated by sports psychology. Momentum can shift in a heartbeat and desire/focus is a huge component of a winning mentality - often at least as important as ability.

This year's tdf (since you mentioned Brailsford) saw Pogacar and Vingegaard scrap it out. The latter had the stronger team and it could be argued that without Van Aert, he wouldn't have won it, but the top 2 podium places were won by individual ability (coupled with tactics from JV to break Pogacar with a tag-team attack by Vingegaard and Roglic). Team Sky were the best team and Geraint took the last podium spot, but it was like watching Tours of old this year - phenomenal racing and letting the riders be themselves.

You're right - watching the lionesses. you saw a looseness and a freedom to express themselves, whilst constantly supporting each other and battling for everything that is sadly seen all too rarely in the men's England team. We had it at Spotland in the no fear Hilly days, but it was mostly absent against Crewe, though we did fight our way back into it at least to make the outcome seem like less of a drubbing.

All the motivation and team spirit has to come from the top and having the right man or woman there. Tbh, I was disappointed for the first time listening to Robbie post-match. Don't want to pile on to a bad day at the office, but he seemed to be implying that had we taken one or two of our chances later on we could have got a result out of it. Whilst technically he was correct, I don't remember him even mentioning the sitter they missed at 2-0 which would have had us dead and buried with game over after 1/2 an hour.

I share the general wish of your post - let the players go out and express themselves on the pitch. If the head honcho has done their job properly, on field micro-management shouldn't be necessary (notwithstanding in-game adjustments by formation changes/substitutions). But freedom of expression by talent will always be entertaining. And let's face it, we do go to games to be entertained. Watching us concede to another set piece is not entertaining. I hope Robbie has done some internal reflection after watching the lionesses and this season turns into a memorable one instead of more of the same we have had for the last several years.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Crewe Match Thread.. on 10:20 - Aug 1 with 2255 viewsKnavesmireBob

We see things very much the same way DL, I completely agree with all that. Must admit I was looking for the 'delete post' button at 3.30pm on Saturday when 2-0 down to the same old problems! Eternal optimist though so let's hope there's better to come :)
Crewe Match Thread.. on 13:26 - Aug 1 with 2001 viewssamueloneils

Crewe Match Thread.. on 10:20 - Aug 1 by KnavesmireBob

We see things very much the same way DL, I completely agree with all that. Must admit I was looking for the 'delete post' button at 3.30pm on Saturday when 2-0 down to the same old problems! Eternal optimist though so let's hope there's better to come :)

Heartily agree DL.
In order to take my mind off the Dales first game last week, I watched the womenn`s Tour de France. i always watch the men`s classics, but thi swa sa first.

Annemiek Van Vleuten wil be 40 in October.

She won the race by annihilating opposition over 10 years younger by outclimbing them by a considerable distance over climbs to 4,000 ft up gradients as much as 24% ( can you picture that).in severe heat. Three days earlier she had a stomach bug and couldn`t eat for 48 hours.

She gives a great speech in multilingual mode within a few minutes of finishing the 120 k slog, and still looks attractive in helmet and cycling gear.

Why then should I worry about the stamina of Hendo and Tooms- mere striplings at 37 and 35? It`s all about training and dedication to the sport.

Devante- are you listening?
Crewe Match Thread.. on 17:31 - Aug 1 with 1757 viewsAtThePeake

Crewe Match Thread.. on 21:44 - Jul 30 by 49thseason

Or alternatively, we started with 7 new players and one who hadn't featured most of last season... an entirely new defence bar one (and him, Odoh, not really a defender), a new central midfielder and two new forwards. They took half and hour to settle in and start getting used to the pace and physicality, unfortunately we were two down to a poorly defended near post header and a slightly deflected shot. From that point on they buckled down and started to play some decent football.
For the next 60 minutes we were the dominant team, scored a goal and created a few decent chances and the Referee missed a clear penalty for a push on Sinclair.
I am a little disappointed we lost but opening days are hardly our strong suit, having lost 5 times out of the previous 9 first games of the season. (Now 6 out of 10)

So the question is "should we be worried"? Not yet, O'Donnell is a better keeper than either we had last season, Seriki is as good as O'Keeffe, Diagouraga adds a bit more backbone, Graham and EEL didn't actually do anything wrong. John is clearly a good youngster and competent on the ball and could easily play in midfield. Up front Rodney and Henderson seem to be the preferred choice at the moment but Charman must be bursting to get on the pitch and we still have Campbell to get fit. We won't be short of goals if Seriki and Odoh can continue to run at defenders and Sinclair has decent pace from the bench which will upset defenders.
So not the ideal start, in fact as mentioned earlier a little disappointing but hardly cause for slitting of throats or jumping off tall buildings. I think the manager has done decent business so far and he and his coaching team can now start to finesse the side from the standpoint of actual matches rather than friendlies.
Oh, and the Referee and Liner's were poor but I expected little else from Mr Kitchen, he has been poor on each of the 3 occasions I have seen him at the COA and we have lost 3 times! Many will recall the offside goal that Plymouth scored and some will recall the unpunished foul on Cashman that led to him leaving the field against Bolton and IIRC being injured for several weeks, and their disputed penalty. Somehow I don't think Mr Kitchen likes his trips to Rochdale.

Are we saying Seriki is as good as O'Keeffe on the basis of one competitive game? That we've lost?

Tangled up in blue.

Crewe Match Thread.. on 17:32 - Aug 1 with 1750 views49thseason

Crewe Match Thread.. on 12:10 - Jul 31 by 442Dale

It wasn’t great yesterday but it’s impossible to compare Crewe of last season to yesterday as, like us, their squad is probably much changed. I thought they defended well throughout and had some talented players up front too.

Never get an easier first fixture? Aldershot 1990, just taken over by someone who turned out to be dubious and in disarray.
Hartlepool in 2013 was an easy victory too.

They signed 5 new players, 3 of them played on Saturday....1 central defender, 1 right back, 1 midfielder.

They caught us out with their first goal and a number of their crosses were aimed at the near post where their scorer out-jumped Henderson by a good foot. It was a complete mis-match and as we were beaten at the near post side several times last season clearly it is a problem that needs fixing.
Their second was a slight deflection and O'Donnell should probably have saved it, his haranguing of teammates was probably to cover his embarrassment at not having done so.
So didn't quite get the rub of the green but in the immortal words of Gary Player, the more you practice, the better you get.....or summat like that.
Once the team settled down, the improvement was obviousand we were unlucky not to get a point, but for the last 65 minutes the performance was better than the outcome suggests.
Crewe Match Thread.. on 17:57 - Aug 1 with 1661 viewsrichfoad32

Crewe Match Thread.. on 17:32 - Aug 1 by 49thseason

They signed 5 new players, 3 of them played on Saturday....1 central defender, 1 right back, 1 midfielder.

They caught us out with their first goal and a number of their crosses were aimed at the near post where their scorer out-jumped Henderson by a good foot. It was a complete mis-match and as we were beaten at the near post side several times last season clearly it is a problem that needs fixing.
Their second was a slight deflection and O'Donnell should probably have saved it, his haranguing of teammates was probably to cover his embarrassment at not having done so.
So didn't quite get the rub of the green but in the immortal words of Gary Player, the more you practice, the better you get.....or summat like that.
Once the team settled down, the improvement was obviousand we were unlucky not to get a point, but for the last 65 minutes the performance was better than the outcome suggests.

I don't want to be a Debbie downer but were we really unlucky not to get a point? We did improve after the break but after Rodney scored I don't remember another real clear cut chance or any period of sustained pressure where you felt an equaliser was coming. And as has been mentioned, Crewe should've had the game wrapped up but for their guy fluffing his lines with the goal gaping.

I don't pretend to be any great tactician or expert on formations but when we set up so defensively with three centre halves then why the need for a defensive midfielder in Diagouraga to sit just in front of them as well? Admittedly John in particular looks like he has license to gallop forward, so I guess he's useful cover for that.

Anyway, plenty of time to iron things out. Hoping for a better performance on Saturday, particularly as I'll be going and my track record for watching us at Gillingham is pretty dire!
Crewe Match Thread.. on 17:59 - Aug 1 with 1642 views442Dale

Crewe Match Thread.. on 17:32 - Aug 1 by 49thseason

As well as those mentioned in defence and midfield, they also had a new keeper signed on loan from Arsenal and Brook who scored the second in their starting XI. Plus two of the subs that came on were new signings too.

Crewe Match Thread.. on 18:15 - Aug 1 with 1575 views442Dale

Crewe Match Thread.. on 17:57 - Aug 1 by richfoad32

I don't want to be a Debbie downer but were we really unlucky not to get a point? We did improve after the break but after Rodney scored I don't remember another real clear cut chance or any period of sustained pressure where you felt an equaliser was coming. And as has been mentioned, Crewe should've had the game wrapped up but for their guy fluffing his lines with the goal gaping.

I don't pretend to be any great tactician or expert on formations but when we set up so defensively with three centre halves then why the need for a defensive midfielder in Diagouraga to sit just in front of them as well? Admittedly John in particular looks like he has license to gallop forward, so I guess he's useful cover for that.

Anyway, plenty of time to iron things out. Hoping for a better performance on Saturday, particularly as I'll be going and my track record for watching us at Gillingham is pretty dire!

The difference this season tactically is having Diagouraga there is allowing both wing backs to play higher up the pitch, whilst also giving the other two in midfield more licence to join attacks. Last season we would be either outnumbered whilst the two sat deeper or exposed if either went into the box. It didn’t make much difference in terms of result or importance on Saturday, but it is a noticeable change.

There’s an argument we are almost a 3-1-4-2. Irrespective of all that though, we need to be playing in the final third and getting balls regularly into the box and making the opposition defend. You’re right, that didn’t happen anywhere near enough after our goal, in fact we were probably better at that later on in the first half.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024