Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) 11:44 - Sep 12 with 18575 viewsChaffRAFC

The EFL have confirmed tomorrow nights games will go ahead following the utterly nonsensical decision to make football in this country stop at the weekend:

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 00:02 - Sep 14 with 2699 viewsSandyman

Looked better at times but,
Their No 7 had the freedom of Spotland time after time as the ball was punted out to him with no tactical change made to sort it out.
O'Donnell MOTM by a mile. Stunning save to prevent a certain goal first half.
At least we didn't concede from a corner / long throw / set piece which has to be an improvement.
Graham and Diagouraga punting the ball into places where a Dale player wasn't anywhere near in the last 15 minutes was woeful.
Ball scored a penalty recently - why didn't he take one tonight?
Pass and don't move doesn't work.
Still not leaving man up as an outlet whilst defending a corner. I just don't understand why.
The bell end who threw a pyro when we were attacking is stupid beyond words.
Ref was OK, lady liner dropped a few clangers.
Hendo has the best football brain in the team by a long way.
Why weren't Malley and Brierley introduced when the midfield were struggling?
Lots for EBJ to work on.
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 01:01 - Sep 14 with 2595 viewsJimmyRustler

That was shite and they honestly weren’t all that IMO.

Ball is honestly terrible and Diagouraga isn’t much better. Henderson ineffective and looks like he is there for a last pay day.

Jim on his arse more times than the local grasshopper.

Quigley quite obviously decent in front of goal but useless in any other capacity.

We are, without a shadow of a doubt, going down this season.

Thanks for the memories, even if they weren’t so great.
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 06:50 - Sep 14 with 2414 viewsSwissdale

First game I’ve seen tonight following the appointment of Jim Bentley. Very slight improvement but I’m still incredibly worried.

There’s just so little quality in that team it’s untrue - particularly in the middle of the park. Lost count of the number of times a simple pass went astray and the inability to even hold onto the ball (never mind create a meaningful attack) in the last 10 minutes was pathetic.

Whilst neither are world beaters, Rodney and Campbell at least have enough pace to get in behind defenders if we play a decent pass to them - something Ball and Diagouraga seem incapable of. Malley / Brierely / Kelly need to be on the pitch if we are to get anything out of a game.

Henderson again looked poor - Not sure why we changed the shape tonight to get him back in after a decent result at Carlisle, he’d certainly not be in my first XI.

Hard to pick a first XI without knowing the injuries in defence, but for me we have to;

Play Rodney and Quigley in a front two
Give Malley a start CM

If we are going to line up as a 4-4-2 I’d also try Campbell and Seriki on the wings.
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 07:22 - Sep 14 with 2340 viewsfrenzied

Compared to previous games ie Stevanage it was certainly a lot better.

Still need more in the centre of the park.

Henderson i would bench rather than start.

At least in Jim B we have a manager who has extensive experience at this level to deal with all the scenarios which present themselves.

In 10 games time it will look a lot healthier i think
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 07:58 - Sep 14 with 2246 viewsDaleneverwalkalone

Ffs yet again we have a quality midfielder in Malloy who can,t even get on for 5 mins, something desperately wrong there. He would have given us what there number 7 gave them, a direct approach to goal and chances created. I bet he’s glad we only gave him a STC so he can get away and be appreciated. Thought it was a game of two halves but they could and should have had it wrapped up by half time. We tuck at it without much excitement till the last knocking and maybe might have gotten an underserved point but nevertheless a valuable one
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 08:18 - Sep 14 with 2170 views442Dale

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 07:58 - Sep 14 by Daleneverwalkalone

Ffs yet again we have a quality midfielder in Malloy who can,t even get on for 5 mins, something desperately wrong there. He would have given us what there number 7 gave them, a direct approach to goal and chances created. I bet he’s glad we only gave him a STC so he can get away and be appreciated. Thought it was a game of two halves but they could and should have had it wrapped up by half time. We tuck at it without much excitement till the last knocking and maybe might have gotten an underserved point but nevertheless a valuable one

Malley? Yes, we’d all like to see him given a go. But not sure he’s similar to Smyth who seemed more of a wide player. Unless anyone has seen Malley play elsewhere apart from Dale where he’s been used in midfield.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:06 - Sep 14 with 2030 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 07:58 - Sep 14 by Daleneverwalkalone

Malley was an option yes. So was Sinclair and Campell and you'd have to argue that Bentley's subs worked as we created a few more moments in the latter stages and won the penalty. If Malley is as good as you think he is then I'm sure once he gets his chance he'll take it and become our best player ever.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:10 - Sep 14 with 2021 viewsDaleneverwalkalone

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:06 - Sep 14 by dingdangblue

Malley was an option yes. So was Sinclair and Campell and you'd have to argue that Bentley's subs worked as we created a few more moments in the latter stages and won the penalty. If Malley is as good as you think he is then I'm sure once he gets his chance he'll take it and become our best player ever.

Haha don’t give up the day job your never gonna make it as a comedian
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:11 - Sep 14 with 2005 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:10 - Sep 14 by Daleneverwalkalone

Haha don’t give up the day job your never gonna make it as a comedian

You're not doing your friend/relative any favours with these posts.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:23 - Sep 14 with 1954 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 07:22 - Sep 14 by frenzied

Compared to previous games ie Stevanage it was certainly a lot better.

Still need more in the centre of the park.

Henderson i would bench rather than start.

At least in Jim B we have a manager who has extensive experience at this level to deal with all the scenarios which present themselves.

In 10 games time it will look a lot healthier i think

As a plus point we can't drop any lower in the next 10 games
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 9:24]
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:38 - Sep 14 with 1901 viewsAtThePeake

I know there are injuries to contend with, but a CB partnership of Graham and McNulty, with Ball & Diagouraga as a midfield two in front of them, is not League Two level. And then in front of them, a 37 year old Ian Henderson who might as well not be on the pitch such is his ineffectiveness so far this season. I feel for Bentley because I'm not sure there's much he can do tactically when he's inherited a squad this bad. (That being said, at least one of Malley or Brierley has to start ffs).

I've said it a few times recently but as fans, we are built to look for the positives and the signs of hope and we believe in the 'potential' of players based on glimpses here and there, but the truth is if this squad were playing in, say, Scunthorpe shirts, we'd be looking at them saying they were dead certs for relegation at this stage.

Stockdale might be a lovely bloke and might have done a nice LinkedIn post, but his ineptitude has left us looking like we're heading to non-league for the first time in 100 years, so I'm finding it hard to find any solace in how nice he is.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:42 - Sep 14 with 1883 viewsDaleneverwalkalone

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:11 - Sep 14 by fitzochris

You're not doing your friend/relative any favours with these posts.

Neither is anyone by the looks of it, you the admin or mediator like
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:51 - Sep 14 with 1852 viewskel

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:42 - Sep 14 by Daleneverwalkalone

Neither is anyone by the looks of it, you the admin or mediator like

Mediator? It’s not Relate, flower.
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:55 - Sep 14 with 1839 viewsDaleneverwalkalone

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:51 - Sep 14 by kel

Mediator? It’s not Relate, flower.

Ffs another keyboard warrior, have you got something to say about the thread
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 10:05 - Sep 14 with 1804 viewsgolfaduffy

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:38 - Sep 14 by AtThePeake

I know there are injuries to contend with, but a CB partnership of Graham and McNulty, with Ball & Diagouraga as a midfield two in front of them, is not League Two level. And then in front of them, a 37 year old Ian Henderson who might as well not be on the pitch such is his ineffectiveness so far this season. I feel for Bentley because I'm not sure there's much he can do tactically when he's inherited a squad this bad. (That being said, at least one of Malley or Brierley has to start ffs).

I've said it a few times recently but as fans, we are built to look for the positives and the signs of hope and we believe in the 'potential' of players based on glimpses here and there, but the truth is if this squad were playing in, say, Scunthorpe shirts, we'd be looking at them saying they were dead certs for relegation at this stage.

Stockdale might be a lovely bloke and might have done a nice LinkedIn post, but his ineptitude has left us looking like we're heading to non-league for the first time in 100 years, so I'm finding it hard to find any solace in how nice he is.

Your firse paragraph hits the nail squarely on the head. Last nights starting 11 was not good enough for L2 level.

Orient were damn good especially for 20 minutes before half time when they should have scored 3 but for good saves and a bit of luck. Their midfield and number 7 tore us a new one with better fitness and good technique.

As the second half progressed, Wellens made changes to them, whilst Jim continued with the slugish centre midfield and not good enough centre backs meaning that the attacking players were starved of decent service.

They undoubtedly wasted time but the ref allowed them to. Bringing Henderson off happened 20 minutes too late, and leaving Diagouraga and Ball on was a real mistake as they were turning like carthorses dragging ploughs second half.

Hindsight is wonderful, but the Board allowing Stockdale to assemble this squad may very well cost us our league status. Should ave gone at the end of last season.

Really wanted to be positive about us last night, but the best I can do is that Sinclair looked very sharp when he came on, and Rodney is much better playing upfront than on the wing. Oh... Goalkeeper easily our MOM.
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 10:07 - Sep 14 with 1801 views49thseason

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 00:02 - Sep 14 by Sandyman

Looked better at times but,
Their No 7 had the freedom of Spotland time after time as the ball was punted out to him with no tactical change made to sort it out.
O'Donnell MOTM by a mile. Stunning save to prevent a certain goal first half.
At least we didn't concede from a corner / long throw / set piece which has to be an improvement.
Graham and Diagouraga punting the ball into places where a Dale player wasn't anywhere near in the last 15 minutes was woeful.
Ball scored a penalty recently - why didn't he take one tonight?
Pass and don't move doesn't work.
Still not leaving man up as an outlet whilst defending a corner. I just don't understand why.
The bell end who threw a pyro when we were attacking is stupid beyond words.
Ref was OK, lady liner dropped a few clangers.
Hendo has the best football brain in the team by a long way.
Why weren't Malley and Brierley introduced when the midfield were struggling?
Lots for EBJ to work on.

"Graham and Diagouraga punting the ball into places where a Dale player wasn't"
I think thats probably what happens when you have been under the cosh all night. L.O. attacked down both wings with pace and we had no real answer to it. They attacked centrally from midfieldand our defence was dragged all over the place. In the latter stages they were just glad to get rid of the ball. Very little protection from midfield, Diagouraga disappearedafer about half an hour and Ball couldnt decide if to defend or join the attack and ultimately did neither. Quigley didnt so much as dent their giant defender and the ball never stuck at the top of the pitch.
Lots for Bently to look at, but we need to chalk up some wins which in turn means scoring some goals. We have played 5 of 8 from the top half of the table including the top two and lost them all, beating teams in the lower half is an absolute must
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 10:09 - Sep 14 with 1784 viewskel

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 09:55 - Sep 14 by Daleneverwalkalone

Ffs another keyboard warrior, have you got something to say about the thread

Keyboard warrior? Good one. And you are?
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 10:21 - Sep 14 with 1740 viewsNorthernDale

If JB is going to maintain the 4-2-3-1 system, on Saturday do we play Seriki at RB, with keohane operating within the'2' role with Diagouraga, so adding a bit experience in midfield and allowing Ball to play forward with Campbell and Rodney, with Quigley up front.

Odoh played well last night, but his end product at times can be poor and I think him and Sinclair are more effective as impact subs, running at tired defences.

We need either Lendel-Banks or Johns bank asap to replace McNulty,
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 10:36 - Sep 14 with 1685 viewsEllDale

Is anyone else worried about the lack of news about the injuries to EEL, Cameron John and Kelly.
If they're long term (and by that I mean a couple of months) then we could really be in the pooh.
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 10:42 - Sep 14 with 1660 viewsSaxonDale

I’d agree with most of that- particularly the Stockdale part. For me he’s as incompetent as Eyre and has left us with an absolute mountain to climb and one which I think sadly we won’t do.

I thought Graham played reasonably well for the first 70 minutes and then tired, as did Jim. However I do agree that we’ll be struggling if we they stay as our first choice pairing for any considerable period.

Ball and Diagouraga on the other hand seems to be as poor a midfield pairing as we’ve had for years. If we are going to sacrifice ball players in an attempt to control the game, then we have to at least stop them from playing and I thought neither of them (as well as Henderson) did anywhere near enough to get close to them first half. Like many I was surprised that the midfield wasn’t changed by the hour mark but amazed it wasn’t changed in the entirety of the game.

Final thing- I understand that after scoring at the weekend Quigley would want to take the penalty but he was absolutely knackered. A minute earlier he had failed a routine pass which would have seen Seriki through due to tiredness and watching back you can see before the penalty how tired he looks.

But, as said above Bentley’s decisions are minor in the grand scheme of things. This is an absolute mess caused by Stockdale.
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 10:45 - Sep 14 with 1644 viewsD_Alien

Agree with that last point, hence my rather short summary of his time here in the Stockdale thread. I read his post with the feeling he was getting a few excuses in, ahead of his next appointment

I do, however, believe EBJ has enough options at his disposal to bring about a change in fortunes. It was never likely to happen overnight as he needs to assess all their capabilities (unlike KH who was already familiar with the squad he inherited) but i'm seeing more fight now and those on the pitch will rarely come up against opponents of the quality and confidence they had to contend with last night
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 10:58]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 10:55 - Sep 14 with 1609 viewsHullDale

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 10:36 - Sep 14 by EllDale

Is anyone else worried about the lack of news about the injuries to EEL, Cameron John and Kelly.
If they're long term (and by that I mean a couple of months) then we could really be in the pooh.

In his Orient pre-match interview, EBJ basically said Kelly's injury wasn't as bad as feared and he may have been in contention for last night.

He also said the other injuries are 'luckily' short to medium term, none long term, and that those affected are back training on the grass.

Off the top of my head we are missing:

Taylor (not first XI but I'd say ahead of Jim & Graham)
Ebanks-Landell (first XI)
Charman (probably not first XI now)
John (first XI)
Kelly (either first XI or at least matchday squad)

(not sure if Tulloch is injured or just not fancied).
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 12:27 - Sep 14 with 1369 viewsNewbury_Dale

How did Morecambe set up with Diagouraga in the side ? If we're playing just the two central midfielders then he just doesn't have the legs for it. He must have had more protection at Morecambe surely?
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 12:32 - Sep 14 with 1340 viewsSaxonDale

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 12:27 - Sep 14 by Newbury_Dale

How did Morecambe set up with Diagouraga in the side ? If we're playing just the two central midfielders then he just doesn't have the legs for it. He must have had more protection at Morecambe surely?

Was wondering that myself- I presume he was playing in a 3 with both midfielders being fairly mobile. Been said a hundred times but I don’t think Ball and Diagouraga will ever be able to play in central midfield together as we aren’t mobile enough, even with a third player included.
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 12:37 - Sep 14 with 1328 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 12:27 - Sep 14 by Newbury_Dale

I was under the impression he'd been brought in to provide protection (to a back four) not need it himself!

Already posted that it was mystifying why Ball ended up in that deeper role whilst Diagouraga played ahead of him, especially during the second half. Either way, it's not working. Ball's value is in "making things happen" in the final third, which he did in providing good assists against both Accy & Carlisle, passing to feet in the box. Or having an attempt on goal himself. Baffling...
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 12:45]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024