Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) 11:44 - Sep 12 with 18570 viewsChaffRAFC

The EFL have confirmed tomorrow nights games will go ahead following the utterly nonsensical decision to make football in this country stop at the weekend:

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 13:05 - Sep 14 with 2291 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 12:37 - Sep 14 by D_Alien

I was under the impression he'd been brought in to provide protection (to a back four) not need it himself!

Already posted that it was mystifying why Ball ended up in that deeper role whilst Diagouraga played ahead of him, especially during the second half. Either way, it's not working. Ball's value is in "making things happen" in the final third, which he did in providing good assists against both Accy & Carlisle, passing to feet in the box. Or having an attempt on goal himself. Baffling...
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 12:45]

I thought the same about him providing protection to a back four, but the rest of Stockdale's recruitment suggested he was only interested in playing a back three, making it a really strange signing.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 13:11 - Sep 14 with 2267 viewsBucketBstard

Well after last night I am genuinely worried for our league status , and our existence as a club if we go down.
It amazes me that we had Graham and McNumpty as the CB pairing. But people going on about EEL and John coming back , sorry guys they are just as bad. All non-league standard I'm afraid.
I presume Bentley had Diagouraga at Morecambe so he must know how S"ite he is. He did absolutely nothing , the game passed him by and when he did have the ball he gave it away. I never want to see that FUB( Fecking Useless Bstard) in a Dale shirt again. Ball is also piss poor . As for Quigley you can see why Stockport let him go. He created or caused nothing on the pitch and that penalty was so weak.
Not impressed with Sinclair , a clueless article who I hope doesnt get into his fathers habit of OG's . Didnt they use to introduce him on the team sheet as Frank Sinclair OG ?
Odoh has the pace but not the guile when attacking.
Rodney looked better than he has been but still non league standard.
O'Connell definitely MOTM , he kept us in it , shame they didnt try a few punts into the bax when he came up.
I agree with other posters , but have siad it before, Stockdale has a lot to answer for , assembling the worst team I have seen at the Dale for many many years.
I pray we are not too far adrift come January , but is Bentley ok to recruit if he thinks Diagouraga and Quigley are his standard of players.
Orient by the way are a good side and they didnt need to time waste that was a little annoying for such a skillful side.
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 13:25 - Sep 14 with 2226 views442Dale

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 13:05 - Sep 14 by AtThePeake

I thought the same about him providing protection to a back four, but the rest of Stockdale's recruitment suggested he was only interested in playing a back three, making it a really strange signing.

For now it’s got to be either a three man midfield with Ball further forward or going to a two of Diagouraga and Malley. There are limitations within this squad but we are almost highlighting them by not focusing on players strengths.

Ball is not the central midfielder we believed he was after initial appearances and has to be kept further up the pitch, if Malley can prove to be more capable and Kelly and/or Brierley can force their way in then that should be the three. If we play with a two or a two with a forward like Henderson or Sinclair supporting, the two cannot be those who played last night.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 13:28 - Sep 14 with 2219 viewsrichfoad32

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 13:11 - Sep 14 by BucketBstard

Well after last night I am genuinely worried for our league status , and our existence as a club if we go down.
It amazes me that we had Graham and McNumpty as the CB pairing. But people going on about EEL and John coming back , sorry guys they are just as bad. All non-league standard I'm afraid.
I presume Bentley had Diagouraga at Morecambe so he must know how S"ite he is. He did absolutely nothing , the game passed him by and when he did have the ball he gave it away. I never want to see that FUB( Fecking Useless Bstard) in a Dale shirt again. Ball is also piss poor . As for Quigley you can see why Stockport let him go. He created or caused nothing on the pitch and that penalty was so weak.
Not impressed with Sinclair , a clueless article who I hope doesnt get into his fathers habit of OG's . Didnt they use to introduce him on the team sheet as Frank Sinclair OG ?
O'Connell definitely MOTM , he kept us in it , shame they didnt try a few punts into the bax when he came up.
I agree with other posters , but have siad it before, Stockdale has a lot to answer for , assembling the worst team I have seen at the Dale for many many years.
I pray we are not too far adrift come January , but is Bentley ok to recruit if he thinks Diagouraga and Quigley are his standard of players.
Orient by the way are a good side and they didnt need to time waste that was a little annoying for such a skillful side.

You know it was a poor game when someone who left 3 months ago was your MOM!
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 13:30 - Sep 14 with 2211 views442Dale

Your comment about Bentley and Diagouraga sums up the football knowledge in there.

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 13:39 - Sep 14 with 2178 viewskel

What’s made you more “genuinely worried” that the numerous other times this season you’ve been “genuinely worried”?

You need some fresher material.
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 14:06 - Sep 14 with 2095 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 13:39 - Sep 14 by kel

What’s made you more “genuinely worried” that the numerous other times this season you’ve been “genuinely worried”?

You need some fresher material.

He should try the forthcoming student induction weeks...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 14:07 - Sep 14 with 2094 viewsgolfaduffy

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 13:25 - Sep 14 by 442Dale

For now it’s got to be either a three man midfield with Ball further forward or going to a two of Diagouraga and Malley. There are limitations within this squad but we are almost highlighting them by not focusing on players strengths.

Ball is not the central midfielder we believed he was after initial appearances and has to be kept further up the pitch, if Malley can prove to be more capable and Kelly and/or Brierley can force their way in then that should be the three. If we play with a two or a two with a forward like Henderson or Sinclair supporting, the two cannot be those who played last night.

Not seen enough of Malley to form an opinion on him yet. But it's fairly plain that Diagouraga and Ball just aren't good enough to play central midfield without another person helping. Personally, I would rest one of them, and bring Brierley or Kelly (i know...he has been poor recently) in or even try Malley as well. Ball has been very poor in most (but strangely not all) games suggesting he has application issues , whilst Diagouraga looks a year or two past his sell by date.

One of the biggest disappointments has been Henderson. Looks a shadow of the player we had before, and seems disinterested or unable to get into the game. Mind you, EEL also looks way below the standard of the player we had before.

So; for all the talk of bringing experience back to the team , it's mainly the experienced players who are not delivering. Hopefully, Jim can work out a way to get them playing better.
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 15:17 - Sep 14 with 1943 viewssamueloneils

There seems to be a remarkable consensus on this forum regarding the problems in the starting line-up.
The midfield is the major problem. Yet we have players available to improve things. You cannot play Ball and Diacouraga together. The latter is very good playing directly in front of the back line, but leaves gaps if he moves forward. Ball is a complete impossibility. He has neither the skill nor the effort required even at Div 2 level.
We have Brierley, Malley and Kelly (if fit) 2 of those should start every game. Malley looks a great prospect and I really believe Brierley is ready for the big time.

Henderson has started 6 games and has been a passenger in every game.

Rodney has started to float back , where he is ineffective. Quigley will do a job and will not always play such good defenders as Orient had. Campbell back- great for competition.

Great to see Keohane back and playing so well.

The less easily solved problem is the defence. Terrible luck to losed EEL,Nelson and John all at the same time. Those 3 back would dtrengthen the line-up hugely. Not perfect but good enough for League 2, especially with an attacking midfield as above.

We have to go on the attack if we are not to fall too far behind.

Up the Dale.
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 15:42 - Sep 14 with 1883 viewsTVOS1907

Our goalkeeper's called O'Donnell.

Diagouraga joined Morecambe after Bentley left them.

You're welcome.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 15:56 - Sep 14 with 1843 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 15:17 - Sep 14 by samueloneils

There seems to be a remarkable consensus on this forum regarding the problems in the starting line-up.
The midfield is the major problem. Yet we have players available to improve things. You cannot play Ball and Diacouraga together. The latter is very good playing directly in front of the back line, but leaves gaps if he moves forward. Ball is a complete impossibility. He has neither the skill nor the effort required even at Div 2 level.
We have Brierley, Malley and Kelly (if fit) 2 of those should start every game. Malley looks a great prospect and I really believe Brierley is ready for the big time.

Rodney has started to float back , where he is ineffective. Quigley will do a job and will not always play such good defenders as Orient had. Campbell back- great for competition.

The less easily solved problem is the defence. Terrible luck to losed EEL,Nelson and John all at the same time. Those 3 back would dtrengthen the line-up hugely. Not perfect but good enough for League 2, especially with an attacking midfield as above.

Up the Dale.

"...Ball is a complete impossibility. He has neither the skill nor the effort required even at Div 2 level"

Rubbish. See his assists for our goals at Accy & Carlisle. Goals win matches, no? Or at least win points. Both were skilfully conceived by his ability to find a player in space in the box - the very essence of what we need. Look at his movement after receiving the ball on the edge of the box for the Carlisle goal. Played in the right position, Ball will be integral to getting us out of the mire. Questioning his effort is also pretty disgraceful
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 15:57]

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 16:10 - Sep 14 with 1813 viewsDaleiLama

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 15:17 - Sep 14 by samueloneils

Up the Dale.

"a remarkable consensus on this forum"

.......... there's a first time for everything!

Edit: I overlooked the opinion of former CEO Roger Bottomley.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 18:55]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 16:55 - Sep 14 with 1699 views442Dale

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 15:56 - Sep 14 by D_Alien

"...Ball is a complete impossibility. He has neither the skill nor the effort required even at Div 2 level"

Rubbish. See his assists for our goals at Accy & Carlisle. Goals win matches, no? Or at least win points. Both were skilfully conceived by his ability to find a player in space in the box - the very essence of what we need. Look at his movement after receiving the ball on the edge of the box for the Carlisle goal. Played in the right position, Ball will be integral to getting us out of the mire. Questioning his effort is also pretty disgraceful
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 15:57]

Those contributions at Accrington and Carlisle are the best examples of what a conundrum Ball has quickly become and a reiteration of an earlier point; he’s not the box to box central midfielder who can grab games by the scruff of the neck a la Gary Jones or even a Jason Taylor/Shaun Reid.

His value to the team, right now, is pretty limited to the final third and it’s whether he deserves a place in the side to impact games there. Those two away matches indicate he could do more on the road than at home.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 16:59]

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 17:51 - Sep 14 with 1547 viewsjonahwhereru

First time I have seen the side, other than on I player, since FRG away last season.
First 30 minutes or so I thought EBJ has got these organised as we had nullified them,but they also nullified us. Goals change games and Orient stepped up as soon as they scored. White was giving the winger to much room and most of their goos stuff came from that side. I can understand why the subs were made so late. I just don’t think EBJ thinks the bench can influence the game any more than those already on the pitch. Which is a reflection of how much work he has to do.

Positives:
JM and SG are probably our 4th and 5th choices at centre half, but they didn’t get murdered by a decent attacking side.
SAJ is very decent at this level, when and if he is fit. It’s fingers xed on that score these days.
O’Donnell was absolute excellent and I got the chance to tell him so after the game.
Campbell is getting closer to putting Hendo in the best role for him now, impact sub when you need a late goal.
The graft.

Disappointments:
After scoring 3 in each of the last two games I held false hope that I would see more than just the two efforts on target.
The flare incident.
The lack of composure in the final third.
The pervading feeling that the monkey on the back of a lack of a league win is creeping into the bones of the club.

Northampton is only 100 miles north of me, but sadly I just don’t fancy it after yesterday.
Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 17:54 - Sep 14 with 1537 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 16:55 - Sep 14 by 442Dale

Those contributions at Accrington and Carlisle are the best examples of what a conundrum Ball has quickly become and a reiteration of an earlier point; he’s not the box to box central midfielder who can grab games by the scruff of the neck a la Gary Jones or even a Jason Taylor/Shaun Reid.

His value to the team, right now, is pretty limited to the final third and it’s whether he deserves a place in the side to impact games there. Those two away matches indicate he could do more on the road than at home.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 16:59]

The simple point i made was that having someone in the team who has an effect on games - quite demonstrably, it's there for all to view - at the right end of the pitch should not be being castigated for being asked to play a different game than what he's good at

I'm sure you'll recall during Hendo's better days with us (i know you will because you pointed it out several times) that when he wandered into a midfield role instead of doing what he does (or did) best, he was rightly critiqued for being ineffective. I'm not sure a different standard should be applied to Ball

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 17:58 - Sep 14 with 1515 views442Dale

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 17:54 - Sep 14 by D_Alien

The simple point i made was that having someone in the team who has an effect on games - quite demonstrably, it's there for all to view - at the right end of the pitch should not be being castigated for being asked to play a different game than what he's good at

I'm sure you'll recall during Hendo's better days with us (i know you will because you pointed it out several times) that when he wandered into a midfield role instead of doing what he does (or did) best, he was rightly critiqued for being ineffective. I'm not sure a different standard should be applied to Ball

Agree, unfortunately it’s whether the manager(s)/coaches and player actually acknowledge he is not good enough at present to be playing central midfield and doesn’t appear to be someone who does the job of the aforementioned players when, at first, many thought that was what we had.

If we play a three man midfield it’s between him and Malley for the one position playing further forward. If it’s a two man midfield, he shouldn’t be in the team.

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 18:26 - Sep 14 with 1416 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread - Leyton Orient (h) on 17:58 - Sep 14 by 442Dale

Agree, unfortunately it’s whether the manager(s)/coaches and player actually acknowledge he is not good enough at present to be playing central midfield and doesn’t appear to be someone who does the job of the aforementioned players when, at first, many thought that was what we had.

If we play a three man midfield it’s between him and Malley for the one position playing further forward. If it’s a two man midfield, he shouldn’t be in the team.

It is indeed a conundrum for the manager, having inherited plenty of jigsaw pieces but unfortunately not all from the same jigsaw. What was baffling about last night was that having seen Ball create opportunities he denied him that option by playing him for much of the game even deeper than Diagouraga, who isn't the answer to any of the questions we need to be asking of the opposition

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024