Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
world cup 21:12 - Sep 21 with 6693 viewsdigswellhoop

should we go what would happen if we didnt go
world cup on 11:28 - Sep 22 with 1674 viewsrobith

Has anyone else come to the conclusion they can't watch it?

I was very sceptical about it being in Russia, but I got caught up in the memes and the weather and the pints - but look how that turned out.

I get that we all love football, but I really feel there has to be a line on the ground somewhere and I just couldn't stomach watching it
world cup on 11:35 - Sep 22 with 1658 viewsdaveB

world cup on 11:28 - Sep 22 by robith

I was very sceptical about it being in Russia, but I got caught up in the memes and the weather and the pints - but look how that turned out.

I get that we all love football, but I really feel there has to be a line on the ground somewhere and I just couldn't stomach watching it

It's a hard one as I get all the issues surrounding it but I'll still watch it and will be all over it if England do well. I love watching football, the politics around it all has always been off putting.
world cup on 11:36 - Sep 22 with 1655 viewstraininvain

world cup on 10:15 - Sep 22 by daveB

If we pull out someone will take our place, the tournament will go ahead anyway and we'll be sat at home. It's far too late in the day to make a stand about it now, if we were going to do should have been a few years ago.

When we held the world Cup in 66 it was illegal to be gay in this country still so I think we'd be absolute hypocrites to kick off about playing a world cup in a country where being gay is a crime.

We've also just had the heavyweight boxing title fought for in Saudi Arabia and no thought to pull out of that either
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 10:19]

Not sure I follow the logic that we would be hypocritical for criticising a country where being gay is a crime because we had the same law 50+ years ago.

Fortunately we live in a county that has moved forward and hopefully all of us would agree that those laws were completely wrong. That shouldn’t stop us from criticising countries where they still prevail today.

By that same logic, we can’t criticise Iran for their treatment of women because once upon a time women suffered similar crimes in this country.

I generally find myself in agreement with you, Dave. But that’s a bizarre view on the whole situation.
world cup on 12:00 - Sep 22 with 1618 viewstraininvain

Broadly where I’m at with it all. Dare say I’ll end up watching some out of boredom and morbid curiosity but let’s be honest, this World Cup will always have an asterisk next to it.

Sod’s law that England will win the World Cup that no one really cares about!
world cup on 12:46 - Sep 22 with 1535 viewskensalriser

world cup on 11:36 - Sep 22 by traininvain

Not sure I follow the logic that we would be hypocritical for criticising a country where being gay is a crime because we had the same law 50+ years ago.

Fortunately we live in a county that has moved forward and hopefully all of us would agree that those laws were completely wrong. That shouldn’t stop us from criticising countries where they still prevail today.

By that same logic, we can’t criticise Iran for their treatment of women because once upon a time women suffered similar crimes in this country.

I generally find myself in agreement with you, Dave. But that’s a bizarre view on the whole situation.

Exactly my feelings. We've moved forward in extending human rights and should demand the same of others.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

world cup on 12:49 - Sep 22 with 1536 viewsdaveB

world cup on 11:36 - Sep 22 by traininvain

just meant when we held the world cup we had similar laws which have obviously changed since, should we have not held the world cup becasue we had ridiculous laws in place which really had bugger all to do with football?

of course those countires should be criticised and a light should be shone on them which i think will happen, I'm not in support of them at all but not sure how football especially english football can take a moral higjh ground and pull out of the tournament when you see where the money comes from that supports our game.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 12:49]
world cup on 12:52 - Sep 22 with 1530 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

world cup on 12:49 - Sep 22 by daveB

just meant when we held the world cup we had similar laws which have obviously changed since, should we have not held the world cup becasue we had ridiculous laws in place which really had bugger all to do with football?

of course those countires should be criticised and a light should be shone on them which i think will happen, I'm not in support of them at all but not sure how football especially english football can take a moral higjh ground and pull out of the tournament when you see where the money comes from that supports our game.

I'd argue that 'bugger all' had everything to do with it.
world cup on 12:53 - Sep 22 with 1528 viewsHAYESBOY

At least you can hold hands there now. Thats a relief!

Smells like a trout farm in here

Login to get fewer ads

world cup on 13:19 - Sep 22 with 1491 viewspaulparker

Most major sporting events are taking place in the Middle East
Boxing , Grand Prix, Spanish Cup
It was only a matter of time before the World Cup was to be staged
Imo this is going to be worse than the South Africa one in 2010 , crap location, crap atmosphere, crap logistics , crap groups , and to top it off we are having it in November
I have a feeling that this is going to be phased in for the next World Cup as most of the games are in Mexico and Florida which again are going to be to hot for the summer
If we are not careful the World Cup is going to end up like the FA cup I.e peolke will give up caring

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

world cup on 13:21 - Sep 22 with 1495 viewstraininvain

world cup on 12:49 - Sep 22 by daveB

The difference is that many countries had similar laws back in 1966. It’s not a fair comparison with the world today where it’s generally accepted that homosexuality shouldn’t be illegal.

Qatar is one of 13 countries in the world where being gay is punishable by death in some cases. It’s a stain on football that a World Cup is taking place there in this day and age.
world cup on 13:50 - Sep 22 with 1457 viewsTGRRRSSS

If they pulled out they would probably be banned from next 2 world cups or something as punishment.

Anyway they won't
world cup on 14:21 - Sep 22 with 1432 viewsSnipper

I honestly couldn’t give a toss about this World Cup.

It should never have been given to Qatar. NEVER !!

I have the first two weeks of it as annual leave. The first week we’re going to Ireland visiting relatives, and I’m changing the other week to March for the Cheltenham festival.

Overall, it’s fúcking bóllocks that’s it’s in Qatar, and in our fúcking winter.
world cup on 15:59 - Sep 22 with 1353 viewsdaveB

world cup on 13:21 - Sep 22 by traininvain

The difference is that many countries had similar laws back in 1966. It’s not a fair comparison with the world today where it’s generally accepted that homosexuality shouldn’t be illegal.

Qatar is one of 13 countries in the world where being gay is punishable by death in some cases. It’s a stain on football that a World Cup is taking place there in this day and age.

That is true and it's mad to think that was the law here back then when we're a country who are hundreds of years old but thats probably a different issue. I was just using it to show that this isn't the first time a world cup has been given to a country with those sort of laws in a rather clumsey way.

don't get me wrong I am not for a second saying this world cup should be in Qatar, of course it shouldn't for hundreds of reasons but I do think England pulling out at this late stage would be odd to say the least, we've had 12 years to do something about this since they won the bid, it all feels a bit late now for us or any other country really.
world cup on 16:13 - Sep 22 with 1347 viewsdaveB

world cup on 13:19 - Sep 22 by paulparker

Most major sporting events are taking place in the Middle East
Boxing , Grand Prix, Spanish Cup
It was only a matter of time before the World Cup was to be staged
Imo this is going to be worse than the South Africa one in 2010 , crap location, crap atmosphere, crap logistics , crap groups , and to top it off we are having it in November
I have a feeling that this is going to be phased in for the next World Cup as most of the games are in Mexico and Florida which again are going to be to hot for the summer
If we are not careful the World Cup is going to end up like the FA cup I.e peolke will give up caring

I was in Florida in July and no way can you play football in that heat, was almost 40 degrees for most of the day and the rest of the day was thunder and lightening storms. Agree with you that one will be winter as well
world cup on 16:50 - Sep 22 with 1307 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

world cup on 16:13 - Sep 22 by daveB

I was in Florida in July and no way can you play football in that heat, was almost 40 degrees for most of the day and the rest of the day was thunder and lightening storms. Agree with you that one will be winter as well

Florida is actually fairly modest in terms of temperatures (early-mid 30’s) but very humid. Other parts of USA get much hotter and we’ve had summer world cups there and in Mexico before. England played games in the fcking Amazon Rainforest not so long ago!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

world cup on 19:51 - Sep 22 with 1231 viewsQPROslo

Transitted through Doha end July. Landed at midnight, 34 degrees and even then the humidity was so high waiting for the bus to the terminal was like standing in a steam bath. I couldn't imagine anyone playing football in that. Saw it was 40 degrees there just the other day but hopefully both the temperature and especially the humidity will have dropped by the time the tournament starts.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 19:52]
world cup on 20:28 - Sep 22 with 1177 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

world cup on 19:51 - Sep 22 by QPROslo

Transitted through Doha end July. Landed at midnight, 34 degrees and even then the humidity was so high waiting for the bus to the terminal was like standing in a steam bath. I couldn't imagine anyone playing football in that. Saw it was 40 degrees there just the other day but hopefully both the temperature and especially the humidity will have dropped by the time the tournament starts.

I think you'll find most 'civilised' places are hotter than Oslo mate.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2022 20:29]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

world cup on 20:40 - Sep 22 with 1158 viewsPlanetHonneywood

world cup on 19:51 - Sep 22 by QPROslo

The heat/humidity at its worse from Marchish to end of Septemberish. July and August are insufferable. Then again, that’s what we’ve gone through in Europe this year.

We had the world athletics championships there in September 2019. The stadium was fine, but then again, it’s air conditioned! However, I went to watch the women run the marathon at midnight. It was a 7km course, but it was unbearable.I lasted two laps and went home dripping.

From mid-November to the end of the tournament the weather will be perfect, and little difference with temperatures for other WC. However, you can still get a random really hot one and as the world is getting warmer, who knows.

The bigger problem: rain! They do get a few days per year and they are as equipped for it as UK is for snow. You know what I mean, one flake falls and everything comes to a halt. There, they haven’t built road drainage and the place floods badly.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

world cup on 21:02 - Sep 22 with 1133 viewsQPROslo

world cup on 20:40 - Sep 22 by PlanetHonneywood

The heat/humidity at its worse from Marchish to end of Septemberish. July and August are insufferable. Then again, that’s what we’ve gone through in Europe this year.

We had the world athletics championships there in September 2019. The stadium was fine, but then again, it’s air conditioned! However, I went to watch the women run the marathon at midnight. It was a 7km course, but it was unbearable.I lasted two laps and went home dripping.

From mid-November to the end of the tournament the weather will be perfect, and little difference with temperatures for other WC. However, you can still get a random really hot one and as the world is getting warmer, who knows.

The bigger problem: rain! They do get a few days per year and they are as equipped for it as UK is for snow. You know what I mean, one flake falls and everything comes to a halt. There, they haven’t built road drainage and the place floods badly.

I worked in Kuwait where it hit 52 C, and we ran a relay doing 5km each or so in about 40 C and mostly in the sun, but doable because the humidity wasn't so bad. 48 degrees in Tempe Arizona was like a hot but dry oven. Remember going to Kuwait via Dubai where my glasses steamed up walking out of the terminal. Doha was like that with water pouring down the AC'd bus and plane windows, with clear skies. Hope those norms for November/December hold true. If its humid especially, I think the football will be slow.
world cup on 07:15 - Sep 23 with 1000 viewsPlanetHonneywood

world cup on 21:02 - Sep 22 by QPROslo

I worked in Kuwait where it hit 52 C, and we ran a relay doing 5km each or so in about 40 C and mostly in the sun, but doable because the humidity wasn't so bad. 48 degrees in Tempe Arizona was like a hot but dry oven. Remember going to Kuwait via Dubai where my glasses steamed up walking out of the terminal. Doha was like that with water pouring down the AC'd bus and plane windows, with clear skies. Hope those norms for November/December hold true. If its humid especially, I think the football will be slow.

You must also have had the bizarre feeling, of being 'cold' when the temperature drops to mid-20s in late-December to January.

If the temperature performs as it should, I think they'll be OK. Plus the players won't be knackered after a long season and might enjoy playing in the warmth at this time of year.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

world cup on 07:52 - Sep 23 with 971 viewsdistortR

world cup on 21:02 - Sep 22 by QPROslo

That explains keeping Maguire in, then...............
world cup on 08:18 - Sep 23 with 947 viewsTheChef

It's OK Harry Kane will be wearing a rainbow armband, that will show 'em!!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

world cup on 09:56 - Sep 23 with 892 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I also think a lot of us of a certain age are just bored of it at the top level.

Even when we were last in the Prem I rarely bothered with it, and saw three and a half games of the last WC, which was up on the previous one.

Indeed many of us will recall what footy was like before Italia 90 and how that WC was the catalyst for the game's revival.

Maybe given the HR concerns; time of the year; cost and likely impact on fan numbers; and I think Qatar will really struggle to host this event, this WC might be a washout.

One thing is for sure, as soon as I start seeing overpaid offs falling around pretending to be dead, its over to Netflix.

[Post edited 23 Sep 2022 10:00]

world cup on 10:45 - Sep 23 with 844 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I don't know...

I love the World Cup, but this one's not doing ot for me at all. I think I'll probably watch some of it, and immediately feel dirty afterwards. Not Ch****a dirty, but dirty all the same.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

world cup on 11:21 - Sep 23 with 807 viewsstanistheman

We should have pulled out of the 2018 WC in Russia after the annexation of Crimea in 2014 but didn't. So there is no way of pulling out of this one.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024