Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
world cup 21:12 - Sep 21 with 6694 viewsdigswellhoop

should we go what would happen if we didnt go
world cup on 14:03 - Sep 23 with 1761 viewsR_from_afar

world cup on 13:50 - Sep 22 by TGRRRSSS

If they pulled out they would probably be banned from next 2 world cups or something as punishment.

Anyway they won't

...and Rangers would get a £40m fine and a points deduction!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

world cup on 15:33 - Sep 23 with 1701 viewsPlanetHonneywood

world cup on 11:21 - Sep 23 by stanistheman

We should have pulled out of the 2018 WC in Russia after the annexation of Crimea in 2014 but didn't. So there is no way of pulling out of this one.

We should also pull out of the next one because of the disgraceful wars heaped on Afghanistan and Iraq by the hosts. Oh, hang on...we might have a problem with that.

That said, I think a lot of the protestations by various FAs has just been posturing for the benefit of their own PR at home. I know of one country who were in regular contact with my boss and as soon as they failed to qualify, not a Rob Dickie bird out of them!

And correct me if I am wrong, but did any country's FA actually stand up and say: we won't participate? From day one, subject to qualification, they were all going for the bucks because once FIFA awarded the competitions, they were never going to pull them for fear of being sued into the ground.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

world cup on 16:13 - Sep 23 with 1652 viewsBenny_the_Ball

world cup on 13:21 - Sep 22 by traininvain

The difference is that many countries had similar laws back in 1966. It’s not a fair comparison with the world today where it’s generally accepted that homosexuality shouldn’t be illegal.

Qatar is one of 13 countries in the world where being gay is punishable by death in some cases. It’s a stain on football that a World Cup is taking place there in this day and age.

I think you misunderstood daveb. He's not suggesting that it would be hypocritical of the English to criticise Qatar just because we had the same law 56 years ago. He's saying that it would be a hypocritical position to pull out because England already had the privilege of hosting a tournament whilst it outlawed homosexuality.

Whilst times have undoubtedly changed since 1966, legalising homosexuality is yet to gain worldwide acceptance. It may be punishable by death in only 13 countries but it's still illegal in 69. That's 36% of the planet so the problem is by no means confined to Qatar.

Thankfully trends show that acceptance of the LGBT community is continuing to spread. However more needs to be done and, for me, change is nearly always more effective from within. Visitors to the 1966 World Cup were part of the catalyst for change and the UK subsequently decriminalised homosexuality in 1967. One can only hope that visitors to Qatar plant the same seed.
world cup on 20:53 - Sep 23 with 1507 viewspaulparker

After watching this dross under Boregate we will be home quick enough with this World Cup

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

world cup on 20:57 - Sep 23 with 1496 viewsBrianMcCarthy

world cup on 16:13 - Sep 23 by Benny_the_Ball

I think you misunderstood daveb. He's not suggesting that it would be hypocritical of the English to criticise Qatar just because we had the same law 56 years ago. He's saying that it would be a hypocritical position to pull out because England already had the privilege of hosting a tournament whilst it outlawed homosexuality.

Whilst times have undoubtedly changed since 1966, legalising homosexuality is yet to gain worldwide acceptance. It may be punishable by death in only 13 countries but it's still illegal in 69. That's 36% of the planet so the problem is by no means confined to Qatar.

Thankfully trends show that acceptance of the LGBT community is continuing to spread. However more needs to be done and, for me, change is nearly always more effective from within. Visitors to the 1966 World Cup were part of the catalyst for change and the UK subsequently decriminalised homosexuality in 1967. One can only hope that visitors to Qatar plant the same seed.

"Visitors to the 1966 World Cup were part of the catalyst for change and the UK subsequently decriminalised homosexuality in 1967. One can only hope that visitors to Qatar plant the same seed."

Hi Benny,

Genuine question - what do you mean by this and can you tell me more, please? It seems interesting to me.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

world cup on 21:05 - Sep 23 with 1481 viewsstowmarketrange

Qatar beaten at home 2-0 by the mighty Canada.And they qualify for a World Cup because they’re hosting it.
In other international football news,a friendly between two neighbouring countries that went to war in 1970 over a World Cup qualifying game was cancelled for some reason.Maybe Honduras and El Salvador are still at war?
world cup on 21:15 - Sep 23 with 1450 viewsMalintabuk

world cup on 21:05 - Sep 23 by stowmarketrange

Qatar beaten at home 2-0 by the mighty Canada.And they qualify for a World Cup because they’re hosting it.
In other international football news,a friendly between two neighbouring countries that went to war in 1970 over a World Cup qualifying game was cancelled for some reason.Maybe Honduras and El Salvador are still at war?

The way Southgate's is setting us up to play we may not even get out of the group stage
Shocking performance tonight in the San Siro. Saka as a left wing back ..... not sure what is happening there.
Nothing up front at all.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2022 21:18]
world cup on 21:19 - Sep 23 with 1432 viewspaulparker

world cup on 21:15 - Sep 23 by Malintabuk

The way Southgate's is setting us up to play we may not even get out of the group stage
Shocking performance tonight in the San Siro. Saka as a left wing back ..... not sure what is happening there.
Nothing up front at all.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2022 21:18]

He has to go but he won’t
Losing to the worst Italian team in my lifetime,

Walker still at centre back from 2018 so he can justify James & TAA
Sterling poor
Maguire is minging
No Grealish

We have the players but Boregate wants us to be defensive , only makes changes when we are losing

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

world cup on 21:46 - Sep 23 with 1386 viewsMalintabuk

world cup on 21:19 - Sep 23 by paulparker

Sterling poor
Maguire is minging
No Grealish

We have the players but Boregate wants us to be defensive , only makes changes when we are losing

Agree he seems to have completely lost the players and judging by the boos the fans as well.
But can we get someone in with 56 days to go and only one more match before the WC starts?
That was shocking. No passion, no idea, and by the looks of it no stomach for it
Unless something happens looks like another WC disaster is looming up.
world cup on 21:47 - Sep 23 with 1381 viewsdistortR

world cup on 20:57 - Sep 23 by BrianMcCarthy

"Visitors to the 1966 World Cup were part of the catalyst for change and the UK subsequently decriminalised homosexuality in 1967. One can only hope that visitors to Qatar plant the same seed."

Hi Benny,

Genuine question - what do you mean by this and can you tell me more, please? It seems interesting to me.

I wouldn't recommend gay visitors to qatar planting their seed while they are out there, to be perfectly honest.
world cup on 21:49 - Sep 23 with 1373 viewsRangersw12

world cup on 21:19 - Sep 23 by paulparker

Sterling poor
Maguire is minging
No Grealish

As Mick Beale would say England need to release the handbrake

Awful performance and has been for a while.

I would go for Eddie Howe and do it before the WC
world cup on 18:59 - Sep 28 with 1148 viewsRanger_Things

Nice kits

Better photos and description here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CjDEvi3KxVm/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=
[Post edited 28 Sep 2022 19:04]
world cup on 19:26 - Sep 28 with 1095 viewsdaveB

world cup on 18:59 - Sep 28 by Ranger_Things

Nice kits

I get the gesture but if they don't want to be visible why have the badge on at all, just remove it
world cup on 19:29 - Sep 28 with 1093 viewsdistortR

world cup on 18:59 - Sep 28 by Ranger_Things

Nice kits

Except, if you were really that concerned, you would forfeit the contract.

Should move lots of units though.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2022 7:29]
world cup on 19:54 - Sep 28 with 1053 viewsaston_hoop

Might just use the time to try and follow anyone who has a QPR loan player. Leyton Orient and Aldershot sharing 4 between them

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

world cup on 17:19 - Sep 29 with 941 viewsTheChef

world cup on 19:29 - Sep 28 by distortR

Except, if you were really that concerned, you would forfeit the contract.

Should move lots of units though.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2022 7:29]

KERCHING.

Virtue signalling ahoy.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

world cup on 18:23 - Sep 29 with 898 viewsBoston

world cup on 21:47 - Sep 23 by distortR

I wouldn't recommend gay visitors to qatar planting their seed while they are out there, to be perfectly honest.

Won't grow mate, it's a desert.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

world cup on 18:27 - Sep 29 with 889 viewshantssi

world cup on 11:28 - Sep 22 by robith

Has anyone else come to the conclusion they can't watch it?

I was very sceptical about it being in Russia, but I got caught up in the memes and the weather and the pints - but look how that turned out.

I get that we all love football, but I really feel there has to be a line on the ground somewhere and I just couldn't stomach watching it

Me, not going to watch a minute of it for a variety of reasons, 1 of which is Southgate’s style of football, love him as a man but he’s no manager.
world cup on 21:01 - Sep 29 with 830 viewsdigswellhoop

i wont watch it
world cup on 16:21 - Oct 8 with 672 viewsdmm

This is worth reading if you want an outline of the corruption surrounding this year's World Cup.

Football corruption and the remarkable road to Qatar’s World Cup - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/08/football-corruption-and-the-rem
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024