Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harrogate (h) Match Thread 16:08 - Dec 1 with 33764 viewsHullDale

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 23:44 - Dec 3 with 4026 viewsJames1980

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 23:10 - Dec 3 by R17ALE

"And I can identify the exact day when the whole edifice started to crumble, for me, it was that away game at Luton when Roger (the dodger) sacked Hill and in a single ill-considered moment set in train a series of events that have led us to where we are now. Yes we were in trouble then but that decision has proved to be a catastrophe, the first of a series of ill judged moves by a halfwit CEO"

The finest paragraph ever posted, and he'll be laughing his cock off tonight, what with being a lifelong fan.
I was at Luton that day and detected an upturn in performance.

Is it true that Hill went into the board room saying they needed to invest in the club and Arsely decided to sack him?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 00:10 - Dec 4 with 3957 views442Dale

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 23:44 - Dec 3 by James1980

Is it true that Hill went into the board room saying they needed to invest in the club and Arsely decided to sack him?

Can we try and put a pause on the revisionist history to concentrate on the here and now? There was a groundswell amongst many fans that Hill had reached the end of the line, irrespective of the ā€œvote of confidenceā€ by whoever was calling the shots at the club at the time. Weā€™d been battered at Plymouth and then lost at Luton and were looking at a relegation battle for the second season running.

Barry-Murphy came in and turned that around. Fact. He showed obvious ability as a manager who could utilise what he had to get results. Fact.

Iā€™m now a big critic of BBM, not because he was involved in whatever issues there were off the pitch, but because he failed completely as a manager by not being able to continue being the manager he was for the last couple of months of the 18/19 season. Now and again weā€™d see him realise that was the best route (Rotherham pre Covid, the end of the relegation season in various games when it was almost too late), but far too often he got caught up in being the manager he thought he should be.

So no, thereā€™s no definitive point things started going wrong. There are plenty of examples which contributed. Want another? Increasing the budget at the start of 17/18 when we were doing perfectly well with what we had. Weā€™ve not had a decent league season since.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2022 0:11]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 00:14 - Dec 4 with 3942 views_Windydale

Bad at the back. O'Donnell has been decent in recent games, but today his slow responses and delayed acrobatics caused us at least 3 of the goals.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 00:52 - Dec 4 with 3847 viewspioneer

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 23:35 - Dec 3 by kel

A perfect example of the attitude of one of our players. A bit of respect wouldnā€™t be out of the question would it?

That from someone whose previous ā€˜homesā€™ were Doncaster and Wolverhampton. He is clearly pining for the bright lights of Romford and its proud football history.

Yes Mr John we have seen it, we have even lived itā€¦..and its our home and we are proud of it as well as its history. I dont earn a living from it any more but you doā€¦And since you didnt choose any more preferable places to pursue your career I wonder if it was a case of Rochdale being your last chance saloon.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 01:25 - Dec 4 with 3814 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

While relegation is a probability, more than just a posibility, that worries me far less than the prospect of trying to get out of the National League.

Many established former league clubs have tried and failed at the 1st, 2nd and more attempts.

If/when we go down, it could be some years before the chance appears to get back into the league.
[Post edited 4 Dec 2022 6:39]
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 08:00 - Dec 4 with 3617 viewsHullDale

Fair play for fronting up and apologising. I'm not a fan of the video, don't think he did himself any favours with it... but an apology is probably what we would've expected & he has clearly done it off his own back.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 08:11 - Dec 4 with 3560 viewsrichfoad32

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 08:00 - Dec 4 by HullDale

Fair play for fronting up and apologising. I'm not a fan of the video, don't think he did himself any favours with it... but an apology is probably what we would've expected & he has clearly done it off his own back.

Just another reason to avoid social media, I'm sure it has its uses but they are far outweighed by the trouble it seems to cause.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 08:12 - Dec 4 with 3555 viewskel

Iā€™ve calmed a bit from last night and my reaction to it on Twitter but still think it was a shitty thing to say. ATP has tweeted that he probably wouldnā€™t have been bothered if he/the team was playing well. Iā€™d agree with that but coming on top of some of the ā€œperformancesā€ this season, some reactions are understandable.

His apology is still littered with tired cliches though about how it needs to be better. Actions speak louder than words Iā€™m afraid so letā€™s see if anything changes or I fear weā€™re in for a real spanking next week.
Login to get fewer ads

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 10:14 - Dec 4 with 3243 viewsNewbury_Dale

Did Cameron John sign a 2 year deal or just a season ?
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 11:03 - Dec 4 with 3069 views442Dale

It might be impossible in reality but it might be worth making definitive decisions around who we will make available to be moved on. Obviously there are plenty of issues around this, as fans though itā€™s easier to make listsā€¦

To free up space in the squad and provide finance for extra additions, the following can go:

Taylor, Ball, Kelly, Rodney, Sinclair, White.

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 11:22 - Dec 4 with 3012 viewsmikehunt

Iā€™d keep Rodney but use him in the position that saw him score his goals - centre front, peeling off the opposition defence. He is no use on the wing.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 11:32 - Dec 4 with 2961 viewsD_Alien

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 11:22 - Dec 4 by mikehunt

Iā€™d keep Rodney but use him in the position that saw him score his goals - centre front, peeling off the opposition defence. He is no use on the wing.

Agree with this, and unfortunately the player he'd replace in the starting line-up should be Hendo, whose playing style seems to flatten any forward momentum we're able to muster. He was of course superb in an outfit that could pass the ball well enough

So Rodney alongside Quigley to start next week for me, with Hendo as a great option later in the game

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 11:35 - Dec 4 with 2934 viewsTVOS1907

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 11:32 - Dec 4 by D_Alien

Agree with this, and unfortunately the player he'd replace in the starting line-up should be Hendo, whose playing style seems to flatten any forward momentum we're able to muster. He was of course superb in an outfit that could pass the ball well enough

So Rodney alongside Quigley to start next week for me, with Hendo as a great option later in the game

Unless we go all Barry Diamond, I'd be amazed if Quigley was eligible for Saturday.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 11:39 - Dec 4 with 2906 viewsD_Alien

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 11:35 - Dec 4 by TVOS1907

Unless we go all Barry Diamond, I'd be amazed if Quigley was eligible for Saturday.

Fair point, and i'd take one on Saturday too!

Rodney will most likely replace Quigley then

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 12:16 - Dec 4 with 2742 viewssamueloneils

Watching back on IFollow these questions I cannot answer.

Q. Why in all our home games are we the slowest to start (even yesterday with the benefit of an early goal)?. We always let the opposition get into their stride. No attempt from us to force the game. We seem to sit back and watch them.

Q. Why cannot we provide movement in midfield to collect a pass from the back? Harrogate were always looking to move into an open midfield position when the ball was coming out of defence. Never from the Dale.

Q. Why are the defenders allowed to punt the ball upfield nearly every time, which usually leads to losing the ball? This is connected to the last question of course, but it accounts for why we hold the ball so little.

Q. Are we still playing some form of zonal marking? On several occasions (not just at set pieces) Keohane especially was surrounded by 2 or even 3 attackers at the far post when the ball was coming from their right. This may work against slow forwards but against quick movers like yesterday it doesn`t work.

I could ask so many questions but the overall picture is that we have a slow, pedestrian squad with players like Henderson, Ball, Quigley and Rodney lumbering around the pitch. For Henderson just substitute "slow".

Jim Bentley is not stupid, he has seen it all.

Final Q. Accepting he cannot do much with the current squad, and has too many players on contracts to do much in January, could he not change tactics to putting what little pace he has with Keohane and White(if fit) in wide midfield to give some forward movement and crossing ability?
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 12:18 - Dec 4 with 2730 viewsBucketBstard

Oh dear I'm coming to the conclusion that EBJ is not the answer. I agree he has been dealt a bad pack but to continue to pick Diagoura and Odoh shows his complete lack of tactical understanding . If he picks either of them again I'm out of here,
He will have very little wiggle room due to the board allowing Nice Guy Robbie to sign awful sybstandard players on long contracts and wages way above their skill level.
Worrying that 7 years at Morecambe and seeing Diagou... in action he still picks him.
If we go down we dont come back ever . I wouldnt be suprised if we folded completely since we do not have a fan base like most of the others had.
If EBJ picks those two cretins again then his moniker needs to be changed to ESJ .
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 12:20 - Dec 4 with 2700 viewsDrigdale

Personally I don't see any point in keeping the loan signings we have. Slicker, Sericki, Tulloch, Nelson. They have barely played and are simply making up numbers.
I don't want to start on the rest of the squad because I don't think anyone would sign them and we are stuck with them. We really do need to add a minimum of 4 players to stand any chance of staying up.
I too was frustrated at yesterdays performance and left with my friends on 70 minutes. Considering I am a season ticket holder living in Leeds it wasn't a great journey back over the M62. The only consolation I had was an excellent curry in The Pavilion before going home
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 12:34 - Dec 4 with 2653 viewsDaleiLama

Elon Musk decided I would get no Tweets on 3/12 at all. Probably for the best catching up on the fallout

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 12:46 - Dec 4 with 2622 viewsTVOS1907

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 12:18 - Dec 4 by BucketBstard

Oh dear I'm coming to the conclusion that EBJ is not the answer. I agree he has been dealt a bad pack but to continue to pick Diagoura and Odoh shows his complete lack of tactical understanding . If he picks either of them again I'm out of here,
He will have very little wiggle room due to the board allowing Nice Guy Robbie to sign awful sybstandard players on long contracts and wages way above their skill level.
Worrying that 7 years at Morecambe and seeing Diagou... in action he still picks him.
If we go down we dont come back ever . I wouldnt be suprised if we folded completely since we do not have a fan base like most of the others had.
If EBJ picks those two cretins again then his moniker needs to be changed to ESJ .

The Diagouraga who joined Morecambe after EBJ went to AFC Fylde, you mean?

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 12:50 - Dec 4 with 2586 viewskel

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 12:46 - Dec 4 by TVOS1907

The Diagouraga who joined Morecambe after EBJ went to AFC Fylde, you mean?

He knows, heā€™s doing it deliberately now.

LET him be.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 12:58 - Dec 4 with 2537 viewsTVOS1907

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 12:50 - Dec 4 by kel

He knows, heā€™s doing it deliberately now.

LET him be.

Yeah, I know, but it's good just to keep reminding him.

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 13:11 - Dec 4 with 2489 viewsjonahwhereru

This is the first Rochdalesque result of the season, and needs to be the last. EBJ has made us difficult to break down, so I think many of us are stunned by this one.
He mentioned in his interview that he had to tweak the formation and match them up in midfield, and we finished the first half better for it. So he is flexible about formation but to be fair I think most managers have a preferred formation and only flex it to stifle the opposition. Jim knows infinitely more than me about coaching so I wonā€™t be critical.
The question is can we now revert to type and be difficult to beat and scramble enough points together to stay above the teams, until reinforcements arrive. I hope so.
Sad when a late goal at Mansfield is the focal point of the football excitement for he weekend. Aside from the England penalty shoot out tonight. Oh shite!!
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 13:14 - Dec 4 with 2476 viewsCedar_Room

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 12:18 - Dec 4 by BucketBstard

I think the obvious point to make in why he keeps picking Diagouraga and Odoh is - there isnā€™t anyone better! Which is a damning indictment of our current squad. The options coming off the bench are so limited - do our subs really ever change a game? Is there really anyone who isnā€™t in the starting XI who everyone is clamouring to get on the pitch? Whose constant omission seems baffling? The only possibly player I would say is Malley who I would favour over the spectacularly useless Ball but I also havenā€™t seen enough of Malley to say for certain that he would do a better job.

Tourms in particular seems someone who is obviously past his best who brings little to the team but is probably mostly reliable(?) Iā€™m not sure what he really adds as invariably he just passes the ball to the man 2 yards away from him as soon as he gets it as though the football is a bomb which could go off at any moment and he doesnā€™t want his foot blowing up. Odoh on the other hand I think there can be made some sort of case for - they said it best in commentary yesterday that he at least gets the ball up the pitch. Not many of our midfield will actually run with the ball and take a player on. Odoh will do that and yes the criticism of him is that once heā€™s done that more often than not he will misplace a pass or get dispossessed or heā€™ll put in a cross to no-one but also, there are times his run will draw a foul or we get the ball for a throw in deep into the oppositions half. He does that often enough to make him just about a net benefit to the team but again this comes down to the fact there is really no one else we can play. Odoh wouldnā€™t get into too many other teams in L2 Iā€™d imagine but compared to whatā€™s available itā€™s clear he brings SOMETHING, even if itā€™s not all that much.

Iā€™ve said we need 5-8 players brought in but I was very worried by Bentleys comments yesterday that we were looking at bringing in 1 or 2 in January. Whether that was just expectation management or a realistic insight into what he can actually do I donā€™t know. But if it is only 1 or 2 being brought in you have to think the chances of survival would drop even further as unless those players turn out to be world beaters and drag the entire rest of the squad up to a different level with them - the players that weā€™ve got are just not good enough for this division.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 14:37 - Dec 4 with 2182 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Of the starting lineup yesterday I would keep Brierley. O'Donnell doesn't inspire much confidence in me but we need a keeper other than a loanee. Graham has improved and is contracted but this is his last year. Keohane is a utility player which all clubs need. I cannot understand why a lot of fans want to get rid of a player who was instrumental in 3 of our 4 wins. Getting rid of Kelly would be a big mistake unless we can sign 3 players better than him. Quigley was clearly not fit but we are so desperate he was played before a fully fit Rodney. I think it is unfair for the club to expect a player to perform when coming back from an injury. Malley hasn't been given a chance yet, so I can't really decide.
As for the rest of the squad they can go, they are either too old or just going through the motions, or both.
There was no leadership yesterday, no togetherness, no fight and little pride in wearing the shirt. We need to stop recruiting mercenaries and use the home-grown talent everyone seems to rave about. It's a young man's game, let's play some of our talented youngsters who would, I'm sure, show more pride in playing for Rochdale AFC.
If we get relegated from the FL I can't see us surviving.
Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 15:10 - Dec 4 with 2061 views442Dale

Harrogate (h) Match Thread on 14:37 - Dec 4 by RooleyMoorBlue

Of the starting lineup yesterday I would keep Brierley. O'Donnell doesn't inspire much confidence in me but we need a keeper other than a loanee. Graham has improved and is contracted but this is his last year. Keohane is a utility player which all clubs need. I cannot understand why a lot of fans want to get rid of a player who was instrumental in 3 of our 4 wins. Getting rid of Kelly would be a big mistake unless we can sign 3 players better than him. Quigley was clearly not fit but we are so desperate he was played before a fully fit Rodney. I think it is unfair for the club to expect a player to perform when coming back from an injury. Malley hasn't been given a chance yet, so I can't really decide.
As for the rest of the squad they can go, they are either too old or just going through the motions, or both.
There was no leadership yesterday, no togetherness, no fight and little pride in wearing the shirt. We need to stop recruiting mercenaries and use the home-grown talent everyone seems to rave about. It's a young man's game, let's play some of our talented youngsters who would, I'm sure, show more pride in playing for Rochdale AFC.
If we get relegated from the FL I can't see us surviving.

I know this has come up before, on your last point why canā€™t you see us surviving?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024