Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' 17:31 - Jan 21 with 21473 viewsdalemark

There is a very real danger that we are rotten from the bottom leading upwards within the club. The current playing squad are at risk of undermining the board & fan effort of the past 2 years.

Lack of effort, lack of commitment, lack of leadership... Quigley sarcastically clapping and nodding at the away fans at full time, players running and hiding...

After 100 years in the football league, after a 2 year fight to save the club, after the unification of a fanbase to remain fan-led, today we stare onto the abyss.

At the behest of Tony Pockney last Saturday, I sent an email to him on Monday with feedback and ideas for the club.

Almost one week later, I haven't even received a courtesy 'thanks for your email' response. If the ideas are rubbish, or not welcome, that is fine - but to not even get a simple reply raises questions about motivation and drive that need answering.

I never intended to make this email public, but for the sake of transparency, this is what was sent:

"Tony,

Following on from our conversation on Saturday Tony, I wanted to get in touch about some concerns / feedback / ideas for the retail and commercial side of the club. I take no pleasure in highlighting concerns, particularly following the unbelievable work the board did to safeguard the club from Morton House (which will never be forgotten), but at a time when we are losing £20K per week it is incredibly frustrating to see so many missed opportunities to increase commercial performance — the vast majority of the ideas I will outline below cost nothing other than existing wages, and just require some commercial acumen and forward / joined up thinking. I had a conversation with Simon over LinkedIn on the 2nd December 2021 offering voluntary support or consultancy for the retail / commercial side of the business, as I have ~15 years experience leading retail and omnichannel transformation and performance programmes, but didn’t hear back after the initial messages. That offer still stands today — I want to help.

There are lots of instances that I am aware of where sponsors, potential sponsors and corporate hospitality guests have had difficulty getting in touch with the commercial team. When they have managed to do so, the response has been underwhelming with false promises, long SLAs and generally a lethargic attitude. A few of them very much feel like once the club has their money they are no longer valued, and that is a dangerous position to be in. We need to quickly build relationships with small, medium and large businesses in the Rochdale Borough that have been allowed to lapse. Its frustrating that a smaller sports club in the town (Hornets) seem much more adept at doing this than we are, particularly given the size of our commercial team at present. Rochdale as a town is lucky to have a professional football team — its our job to help people understand that and build relationships so they want to be part of our journey.

Idea #1 — Add value to existing sponsors. Do this by updating all player imagery (social media / scoreboard) with images of their player sponsors (these have recently been added to substitutions which is a huge step forward)... at Barrow they read out the names of sponsors over the tannoy when announcing the squad and substitutions etc. This is a free and easy way to add value to sponsors at zero extra cost, and would help them reach people who may not pay much attention to the scoreboard. Give every single player sponsor a feature on our social media channels — ‘Friends of the club February’ or something similar. Tag them in where we have their profiles, thank them for their support and give a brief piece about what they do. This would add so much value to the businesses we have as sponsors and foster so much goodwill. Most importantly, tell them we are doing it! Let them know how much additional value we are giving them at no extra cost — at a tough time for the club, we appreciate their support.

Idea #2 — Have a huge drive on reengaging with existing and lapsed sponsors. Ask them in a consistent format (survey or similar) how they are REALLY finding their relationship with the club, and don’t be afraid of constructive feedback. Find out what they love about dealing with us, and canvas their opinions on how we could add value to them ahead of them sponsoring again next season. Use this insight to drive our commercial offering in 2023 and beyond… if we are to remain fan led, that needs to permeate throughout the club. Sponsorships should be sponsor led. Executive packages should be people led. Retail should be demand and customer led… you get the idea. If we get this right now, we have time to shape sponsorship for 2023/24 and beyond. As a thank you for their time and feedback, offer them a couple of free tickets for an upcoming match. Have the commercial team on hand to meet them and have a chat with them face to face on the day — this would be so much more powerful than a relationship based on emails or phone calls.

Idea #3 — Leverage remaining sponsorship opportunities for this season. It was great to see the sponsorship angle with Danny Lloyd, but that quickly lapsed back to normal when we signed Eastwood back. There was no mention of sponsorship on his welcome article — a missed opportunity. Lets look at selling sponsorship for injury time - £50 per match or £500 for the rest of the season. It would cost nothing to add an image onto the scoreboard, and they would be guaranteed to have their business name read out twice per game. Contact lapsed player sponsors and ask if they would be interested in a discounted rate for the rest of the season. Lets start building up an active and engaged sponsorship database ahead of next season — warm leads if you will. I don’t know whether we have an active pipeline software or CRM, but if we don’t then free alternatives are available.

Idea #4 — Have an agreed process for updating the social media headers and fixture board at 15:01 on every matchday. Until 10am this morning we were still advertising Colchester (H) as our next game on social media. It’s a 2 minute job, and just creates a more seamless experience for the occasional attendee. The next fixture should be showing as people walk out at full time, and should be showing to anybody who checks social media during the current game. As part of this, we could be making better use of the billboard on Sandy Lane / Wilbutts Lane. It is still advertising season tickets that went off sale 4 months ago. One graphic showing all upcoming matches that month could be put up as soon as the last game of the current month has finished. This is the only idea I’m proposing that costs actual money, and we could even offer that out for sponsorship — get a company to pay for the print and install and give them a prominent space on the billboard.

Idea #5 — Work smarter not harder with our retail offering. As of now, I literally cannot go onto the club shop website and buy a Dale pen, a Dale mug, a Dale notebook, a Dale water bottle. I appreciate your point about minimum order quantities, but for the items I just mentioned they will not expire. The Hendo merchandise became available a whole month after he broke the record…. If we were thinking commercially, as soon as he was two goals away they should’ve been ordered and in the stock room. The minute he broke the record there should have been tweets ready to go advertising them… how many people would’ve gone to the shop immediately after the Salford game to get a piece of memorabilia there and then whilst the feel good factor was still around? Missed opportunity.

We could be advertising relevant products on every single article on the website. Hartlepool travel? Link to the coat sale we have on because its going to be cold. Fitness in the community programme? Link to fitness wear that we have, as the target demographic may not have sportswear already. Player interviews? Link to autograph books and pens. It is so simple, and it should be easy to track click through & success rates. Fans of the club are a captive audience, but they may never go onto the shop website as it is currently so poor. Link something from there that is relevant to an article they’ve taken the time to read and I’d expect a decent uplift.

Idea #6 — Following on from Idea 5, I’d be interested to know if we have explored ‘direct from supplier’ stockists. If ordering minimum quantities is a challenge and we rarely break even on items, de-risk it by taking a smaller profit from items that are dispatched by the manufacturer. It saves us sitting on stock, and even if we just take 20%, 20% of something is better than the current 100% of nothing. If we are not in the financial position to take risks on lines, lets look at getting the whole online shop running in the same fashion as the personalised section. The recent kit survey was a fantastic idea — we could do similar for our retail offering to shape what we want to do in future… I’ve attached a really simple draft as a starting point.

These are some really simple ideas which, as I outlined at the start, require no funding but do require passion, forward thinking and a joined up departmental approach from the people we employ to deliver on our commercial and retail performance goals. They are in the main simple, free and measurable. You know as well as I do that historically the club has been slated for poor commercial offerings and departments working in silo. Building on the good work you guys have done in terms of accountability and reporting, there is a huge opportunity to make a sizeable and noticeable difference across these areas of the club. I’d be happy to come and have a face to face conversation with you to work through the above in more detail, and discuss more aspirational future ideas such as targeted advertising and endless aisle through our online offering, at a time that is convenient. There is a groundswell of pride amongst the fanbase, and a real willingness from people to help. I’m proud to support a fan owned / fan led club, as are others… we all have skin in the game and a reason to make this work.

Let me know if you have any questions on any of the above, if you want to meet to discuss in further detail, or if I can help out in any way at all."

[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 17:33]
'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 17:38 - Jan 21 with 7135 viewsfitzochris

Cheers for sharing that, Mark. Your ideas have lots of merit and I hope you at least get the courtesy of a response.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 17:40 - Jan 21 with 7104 views442Dale

Just a minute, didn’t the club actually ask for people to contact the commercial department with suggestions?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 17:46 - Jan 21 with 6998 viewsdalemark

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 17:40 - Jan 21 by 442Dale

Just a minute, didn’t the club actually ask for people to contact the commercial department with suggestions?

They did, via both the shareholder email & also in person.

I take absolutely no pleasure in making that email public - but if we are to be 'fan owned' or 'fan led', I believe we need to hold people to account when offers of support are being sent.
'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 18:06 - Jan 21 with 6808 viewsRodingdale

Worrying to read this perfectly reasonable correspondence hasn’t had the courtesy of a response. Seems that there is a real chasm developing between the club and its customers and minor shareholders,Customers and shareholders who tolerate an increasingly poor product yet still go to the trouble, and take the time to make really helpful suggestions. Feedback from engaged customers is gold dust for most progressive businesses. The standout part of the recent Chairman’s statement was the line about fans on the message board having given up. A divisive comment and an unnecessary or at best ill thought through expression of hubris from the chairman. The majority of fans want to believe and have not and will not and I’d say can’t give up. The board is not in this alone; fans, customers, want to see the product improve on and off the pitch and are in many cases craving to help. Feels like the board are reverting to a bunker mentality - at just the time they need to be more open.
'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 18:36 - Jan 21 with 6600 views442Dale

Culture.

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 18:39 - Jan 21 with 6568 viewsjudd

Check the club charter and what it says about respsonse times.

Poll: What is it to be then?

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 18:46 - Jan 21 with 6508 viewsfourfourtwo

I don’t care what anyone says or thinks. It’s time for action. Protests, the lot. Things have deteriorated far enough it’s time for serious, organised fan intervention to deal with these idiots.
'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 18:54 - Jan 21 with 6457 viewsjudd

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 18:46 - Jan 21 by fourfourtwo

I don’t care what anyone says or thinks. It’s time for action. Protests, the lot. Things have deteriorated far enough it’s time for serious, organised fan intervention to deal with these idiots.

The players?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Login to get fewer ads

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 18:58 - Jan 21 with 6427 viewsJames1980

At the risk of being pelted with rotten produce next Saturday when I venture up but this board hasn't been a hive of positivity regards the likelyhood of us staying up. Although to be fair that is not helped by performances on Saturday afternoons and Tuesday evenings.

But then does negativity amongst the fanbase spur the players on or exacerbate issues in the squad be it lack of confidence or disinterest and apathy? Are we going to survive if we kick them when they are down?

Regards to the commercial situation highlighted by the OP and the email kindly shared by them I can but shake my head in disbelief.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 19:04 - Jan 21 with 6394 views442Dale

Doing what though? What would your plan be? We can all see how far away we are on the pitch. What can change that is the question.

It’s on the board to address things very quickly, this is not a case of chucking up some sheets at the back of the stand because we’ve had enough of awful football as it was with Barrow. It’s about those in charge making decisions and communicating clearly with fans to illustrate something is being done to save our Football League status.

Whether that’s a change in manager or recruiting players immediately, or even making it completely clear why nothing more can be done, then that’s on them.

Have heard some saying we are sleepwalking to relegation. It’s worse than that, we are most definitely awake and we’re meandering our way into the National League.

Edit: apologies if your post wasn’t about the football side of things. I thought I was in the other thread.

Still, a lot of my reply applies.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 19:07]

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 19:08 - Jan 21 with 6343 viewsRodingdale

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 18:36 - Jan 21 by 442Dale

Culture.

Culture which starts at the top. Haughty admonishment of those who question got us where we were two years ago.
'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 19:10 - Jan 21 with 6327 views442Dale

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 19:08 - Jan 21 by Rodingdale

Culture which starts at the top. Haughty admonishment of those who question got us where we were two years ago.

It’s been there for two decades.

Trigger’s broom.

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 19:43 - Jan 21 with 6093 viewsDorkingDale

Don't be ridiculous. What are protests going to achieve?!

Do you have a credible, practical answer to the urgent need for funding?

Who do you suggest would be willing to replace the current board given the precarious situation we are in?

Maybe you are in contact with few Hollywood actors who would be willing to stick in a few million as at Wrexham? If so, I'm sure that the board would be delighted to progress that option......

Get a grip - we have one decent player who is 37 years old & we have no funds to invest in new players.

If you feel the need to protest I suggest that you do so at the players and manager - because the performance on the pitch this season has been disgraceful.
'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 19:52 - Jan 21 with 6024 viewsHullDale

When our commercial team are actively ringing relatively high profile sponsors midweek to ask about their appetite for sponsoring us in non league (the sales pitch was NLN is televised more than Lg2) we have to start asking serious questions.

Are we paying commercial salaries as a favour to people? Maybe to people who are not suitable for the role in a community club, but instead they see non-league as easy pickings?
[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 19:54]
'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 19:54 - Jan 21 with 6011 viewsD_Alien

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 19:43 - Jan 21 by DorkingDale

Don't be ridiculous. What are protests going to achieve?!

Do you have a credible, practical answer to the urgent need for funding?

Who do you suggest would be willing to replace the current board given the precarious situation we are in?

Maybe you are in contact with few Hollywood actors who would be willing to stick in a few million as at Wrexham? If so, I'm sure that the board would be delighted to progress that option......

Get a grip - we have one decent player who is 37 years old & we have no funds to invest in new players.

If you feel the need to protest I suggest that you do so at the players and manager - because the performance on the pitch this season has been disgraceful.

Indeed. The upshot of any serious protests would likely see at least some of the current board deciding it wasn't worth it, leaving us even deeper in the shit if that were possible

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 19:56 - Jan 21 with 5994 viewsD_Alien

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 19:52 - Jan 21 by HullDale

When our commercial team are actively ringing relatively high profile sponsors midweek to ask about their appetite for sponsoring us in non league (the sales pitch was NLN is televised more than Lg2) we have to start asking serious questions.

Are we paying commercial salaries as a favour to people? Maybe to people who are not suitable for the role in a community club, but instead they see non-league as easy pickings?

That would be a serious question (rather than a protest) to put to the BoD

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 20:00 - Jan 21 with 5966 viewsHullDale

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 19:56 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

That would be a serious question (rather than a protest) to put to the BoD

I'd imagine it'll be one that will be asked at the forum.

& whereby in the past previous commercial managers have been able to 'allegedly' lie their way out of questions, this one won't be allowed to be dropped. we can't financially or reputationally afford to carry passengers.
'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 20:14 - Jan 21 with 5858 viewsSheffield_dale

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 18:36 - Jan 21 by 442Dale

Culture.

Exactly!

Which is why I was uncomfortable with all the smiles and cheers for Hendos goal of the month.

I appreciate some positivity needs to be inserted but that goal was ultimately worthless losing to our nearest relegation rival.

Accept the award and immediately roll up your sleeves. That's survival culture
'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 20:16 - Jan 21 with 5833 views442Dale

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 20:14 - Jan 21 by Sheffield_dale

Exactly!

Which is why I was uncomfortable with all the smiles and cheers for Hendos goal of the month.

I appreciate some positivity needs to be inserted but that goal was ultimately worthless losing to our nearest relegation rival.

Accept the award and immediately roll up your sleeves. That's survival culture

Get what you mean, but it was with regards to off the pitch.

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 20:18 - Jan 21 with 5821 viewsSheffield_dale

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 20:16 - Jan 21 by 442Dale

Get what you mean, but it was with regards to off the pitch.

The right culture should run through the veins of the whole club
'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 20:18 - Jan 21 with 5817 views49thseason

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 20:00 - Jan 21 by HullDale

I'd imagine it'll be one that will be asked at the forum.

& whereby in the past previous commercial managers have been able to 'allegedly' lie their way out of questions, this one won't be allowed to be dropped. we can't financially or reputationally afford to carry passengers.

"Ask not what can sponsors do for us but what can we do to help the sponsors to achieve more business"
'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 20:20 - Jan 21 with 5799 viewsTalkingSutty

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 19:52 - Jan 21 by HullDale

Who are the people who work in the commercial department and how long have they been in post? I’m assuming these members of staff were recruited by the previous regime because i don’t recall the positions being advertised by the current board. Do they have experience of working in a football club environment? If what you have posted is correct then it sounds like the planning for non league is already under way, barely halfway through the current campaign. Throwing the towel in off the pitch at such a early stage isn’t what should be happening, maybe the players have picked up on it?
[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 20:28]
'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 20:22 - Jan 21 with 5773 viewsblackdogblue

Just a thought…

We own the ground etc & have no “extreme” debts like a mortgage etc…

Should the Club be “borrowing” money on the asset that is the ground to invest in players (like other clubs around us in the bottom / rock bottom places) to fight for league status?

Cometh the hour, cometh the need….

If / when new investors are found as stated, first priority would be to pay any of that off…

Apologies if this has been in another thread somewhere & not seen it..

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 20:22 - Jan 21 with 5775 viewsdalemark

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 20:18 - Jan 21 by Sheffield_dale

The right culture should run through the veins of the whole club

This.

The availability of pens & mugs online will not plug a £20K weekly loss.

What it will do, though, is show a culture of continuous improvement and learning. A cultural shift to marginal gains (save a quid here, make a quid there) can only result in a net positive outcome.

Do we have people with retail / commercial backgrounds working in, or being accountable for, performance in those areas? If not, why not?
(No subject) (n/t) on 20:26 - Jan 21 with 5739 viewsdalemark

'You're Not Fit To Wear The Shirt...' on 20:20 - Jan 21 by TalkingSutty

Who are the people who work in the commercial department and how long have they been in post? I’m assuming these members of staff were recruited by the previous regime because i don’t recall the positions being advertised by the current board. Do they have experience of working in a football club environment? If what you have posted is correct then it sounds like the planning for non league is already under way, barely halfway through the current campaign. Throwing the towel in off the pitch at such a early stage isn’t what should be happening, maybe the players have picked up on it?
[Post edited 21 Jan 2023 20:28]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024