Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
T' 2023 tests 14:19 - Feb 15 with 25334 viewsD_Alien

Amid the impending doom back home, the rejuvenated England squad will start their first test of this calendar year at 1am (our time, obvs.)

NZ have their injury and selection problems, whilst we seem to have a wealth of players chafing at the leash to show how positive and talented they are. All this, under a captain who may just go down as our GOAT. Typically, he's more interested in bringing out the best in others:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ben-stokes-message-as-england-captain-show-th

With so much potentially great cricket ahead of us this year, thought i'd make it a thread for the entirety rather than different series. Bring it on!

[Post edited 15 Feb 2023 14:45]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

T' 2023 tests on 15:33 - May 30 with 3170 viewsDaleiLama

Not related to Tests or Lancs, but I found this cricket-related thread from a British Indian female cricketer funny.

The best laugh for me though was Iain Purdon's reply at the end of the thread and her reply to his reply.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

T' 2023 tests on 12:22 - Jun 2 with 2983 viewsD_Alien

England on course to break their own record score in a single day's play of 504, set just a few months ago - unless they declare early...

Duckett leading the way with a century before lunch at Lord's, from 60 overnight to 161

[Post edited 2 Jun 2023 13:04]

T' 2023 tests on 13:36 - Jun 11 with 2847 viewsD_Alien

So the Aussies are crowned "World Test Champions". They couldn't have asked for a better prep for the Ashes than their victory over India

Not that we need any more incentive to knock them out of their stride, but this just adds extra spice to what promises to be a very tasty series, starting Friday at Edgbaston

Bring it on!

T' 2023 tests on 15:52 - Jun 13 with 2659 viewsD_Alien

Feel sorry for Jack Leach getting injured. He'd become an integral part of the new England set up, but one man's misfortune is another's opportunity

Moeen just about sums it all up here:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/moeen-ali-views-his-ashes-2023-return-as-a-fr

T' 2023 tests on 19:05 - Jun 14 with 2546 viewsEllDale

Make the most of these Ashes test matches in the north of England.
Just noticed that neither Headingley or Old Trafford have a game when the Aussies are next here in 2027.
T' 2023 tests on 13:14 - Jun 18 with 2423 viewsD_Alien

So England manage to snatch a first innings lead... tiny but significant after the criticism Stokes got for his early declaration. With the weather forecast uncertain, at least the game has moved on in good time

Breathless fare so far

T' 2023 tests on 14:23 - Jun 18 with 2373 viewspioneer

Not good that moeen has the finger problem. If we are going to win this we are likely to need a strong performance from a spinner. Could be relying on Joe Root.
T' 2023 tests on 15:00 - Jun 18 with 2358 viewsD_Alien

T' 2023 tests on 14:23 - Jun 18 by pioneer

Not good that moeen has the finger problem. If we are going to win this we are likely to need a strong performance from a spinner. Could be relying on Joe Root.

Given his lack of red ball bowling (i.e. lengthy spells), if i have one criticism of Stokes it'd be overbowling him on his comeback, especially with his finger-damage history. Copped a fine too, for applying a spray without having it agreed

This could mean Moeen misses the rest of the series with the games packed in before the end of July

Login to get fewer ads

T' 2023 tests on 16:24 - Jun 19 with 2228 viewsD_Alien

In 2005 England scored 407 on Day 1 at Edgbaston. The Aussies chased 282
England won by 2 runs

In 2023 there were 407 runs scored on Day 1 at Edgbaston. The Aussies will be chasing 281..

T' 2023 tests on 09:13 - Jun 20 with 2123 viewswatford_dale

T' 2023 tests on 16:24 - Jun 19 by D_Alien

In 2005 England scored 407 on Day 1 at Edgbaston. The Aussies chased 282
England won by 2 runs

In 2023 there were 407 runs scored on Day 1 at Edgbaston. The Aussies will be chasing 281..

Difference is that we had a world class bowling attack then - Flintoff, Steve Jones - but not Ashley Giles. Now its the old guard and the fact we have no decent spinners was highlighted a few years ago with the lack of county champ matches in the key spinning months of June - August. I believe there is one county champ match in this time period for this year with cricket for the ADHD coming more to the fore.

I am guessing Ali will not be bowling much today, spinner, day 5, pitch deteriorated, could really do with you. You can't just drag someone out of retirement and have them just stroll into the side with the required physical and mental shape that you have to be in.

Looks like the rain will take care of the result, rather than have to rely on our inability to close out victory in any sport.
T' 2023 tests on 09:52 - Jun 20 with 2109 viewsD_Alien

T' 2023 tests on 09:13 - Jun 20 by watford_dale

Difference is that we had a world class bowling attack then - Flintoff, Steve Jones - but not Ashley Giles. Now its the old guard and the fact we have no decent spinners was highlighted a few years ago with the lack of county champ matches in the key spinning months of June - August. I believe there is one county champ match in this time period for this year with cricket for the ADHD coming more to the fore.

I am guessing Ali will not be bowling much today, spinner, day 5, pitch deteriorated, could really do with you. You can't just drag someone out of retirement and have them just stroll into the side with the required physical and mental shape that you have to be in.

Looks like the rain will take care of the result, rather than have to rely on our inability to close out victory in any sport.

We've just won 11 out of the last 13

In doing so, we've either broken records chasing totals hitherto baulked at, or broken records for taking all 20 opposition wickets in consecutive tests

I share your concerns over Ali, said so earlier, but win, lose or draw today against the World Test Champions, by god we're being entertained
[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 10:02]

T' 2023 tests on 12:45 - Jun 20 with 2023 viewswatford_dale

T' 2023 tests on 09:52 - Jun 20 by D_Alien

We've just won 11 out of the last 13

In doing so, we've either broken records chasing totals hitherto baulked at, or broken records for taking all 20 opposition wickets in consecutive tests

I share your concerns over Ali, said so earlier, but win, lose or draw today against the World Test Champions, by god we're being entertained
[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 10:02]

Defo being entertained, shame rain will rob us of a dramatic finish - what is the latest time they can leave a pitch inspection to until they call it?
T' 2023 tests on 12:52 - Jun 20 with 2014 viewsD_Alien

T' 2023 tests on 12:45 - Jun 20 by watford_dale

Defo being entertained, shame rain will rob us of a dramatic finish - what is the latest time they can leave a pitch inspection to until they call it?

The rain has stopped, the outfield is being dried out and the latest word is play may be able to start 2pm or perhaps 2.30pm, with a decent forecast for the rest of the day

Being the final day, play can continue (weather permitting and within 98 overs) until a finish, with the floodlights able to be used

I think we'll see a result

[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 12:55]

T' 2023 tests on 13:32 - Jun 20 with 1986 viewsD_Alien

2.15pm start!

And update:

67 overs left in the day's play, or 7pm if we've already bowled that number by then (unlikely)

So an Aussie run rate of 2.6
[Post edited 20 Jun 2023 14:05]

T' 2023 tests on 02:13 - Jun 21 with 1889 viewsSandyman

Wow. Still processing what was a Test Match beyond words. A superb contest between two teams of various talents who provided a game that ebbed and flowed either way over five days, and has left me and many others exhausted (professional commentators included) such was the tension and excitement. A fantastic game of Test Cricket, and, with gritted teeth, have to say the better team won in that Test Match.
There will be an inquest about the declaration, missed catches/chances, losing wickets through reckless batting, too many no balls and more. Had we won, the convicts would be wondering similarly.
We lost one we should've won but that is cricket.
Headingley 2019. The convicts should have won that one, but....
That's cricket. Love it.
T' 2023 tests on 03:30 - Jun 21 with 1882 viewspioneer

T' 2023 tests on 02:13 - Jun 21 by Sandyman

Wow. Still processing what was a Test Match beyond words. A superb contest between two teams of various talents who provided a game that ebbed and flowed either way over five days, and has left me and many others exhausted (professional commentators included) such was the tension and excitement. A fantastic game of Test Cricket, and, with gritted teeth, have to say the better team won in that Test Match.
There will be an inquest about the declaration, missed catches/chances, losing wickets through reckless batting, too many no balls and more. Had we won, the convicts would be wondering similarly.
That's cricket. Love it.

Indeed….the current England team are on a journey with bumps in the road. Hoping they learn from some of the mistakes…which are not with the benefit of hindsight as they were raised at the outset. The wicketkeeping was embarrassing… bairstow earns his place as a batsman.

I can just about live with the declaration but it was a very long shot that failed.
T' 2023 tests on 07:24 - Jun 21 with 1864 viewsD_Alien

T' 2023 tests on 02:13 - Jun 21 by Sandyman

That's cricket. Love it.

Yep, just too much to process, and a lot more of that to come

The one major concern for me is Stokes' fitness. His left knee is gone. He's barely half the bowler he was but even so managed to take key wickets. Also affects his mobility when batting; he just can't pivot with freedom and that affects his shot choice and ability to run hard and turn between wickets

We lost the first match in 2005 too, but then got the stroke of luck with McGrath's freak injury. Some thinking to do behind the scenes before Lord's

T' 2023 tests on 16:53 - Jun 21 with 1705 viewsdingdangblue

I'm sorry but the declaration was just stupid. On the 1st day of a 5 day match against the no1 test team in the world with the current 1st,2nd and 3rd best batsmen in the world. With Joe Root at the crease already on a ton and less than 400 scored? Just bat - get the runs on the board then declare in the 2nd innings if needs be. Just a stupid call - not clever.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

T' 2023 tests on 19:22 - Jun 21 with 1641 viewsJames1980

The dropped catches cost the game more than the declaration in my opinion. From the comments made after the match I think the declaration was an attempt at being too clever and trying to play mind games. In hindsight we should've declared with 400+ on the board. If we were still in on day 2 should have declared regulation hour before start of play.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

T' 2023 tests on 21:46 - Jun 21 with 1578 viewsdamon791

T' 2023 tests on 16:53 - Jun 21 by dingdangblue

I'm sorry but the declaration was just stupid. On the 1st day of a 5 day match against the no1 test team in the world with the current 1st,2nd and 3rd best batsmen in the world. With Joe Root at the crease already on a ton and less than 400 scored? Just bat - get the runs on the board then declare in the 2nd innings if needs be. Just a stupid call - not clever.

Stokes did the right thing declaring in my opinion as it’s really hard to come in to bat with 45mins to go as there is nothing to gain for the batsmen and next day they will have to play themselves in again.
T' 2023 tests on 23:11 - Jun 21 with 1535 viewsdingdangblue

T' 2023 tests on 21:46 - Jun 21 by damon791

Stokes did the right thing declaring in my opinion as it’s really hard to come in to bat with 45mins to go as there is nothing to gain for the batsmen and next day they will have to play themselves in again.

Yes I understand putting them into bat is tricky for them with only 5-6 overs left in the day and they've been out in the field all day and probably never expected to bat the way Root and Robinson were smashing them all over the place. We didn't need wickets at that point though. 393 wasn't enough runs on the board to warrant that decision - another 5-6 overs of Root and we are on 450. I could understand declaring with just bowlers left batting but not our best batsman.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

T' 2023 tests on 00:21 - Jun 22 with 1522 viewsdamon791

T' 2023 tests on 23:11 - Jun 21 by dingdangblue

Yes I understand putting them into bat is tricky for them with only 5-6 overs left in the day and they've been out in the field all day and probably never expected to bat the way Root and Robinson were smashing them all over the place. We didn't need wickets at that point though. 393 wasn't enough runs on the board to warrant that decision - another 5-6 overs of Root and we are on 450. I could understand declaring with just bowlers left batting but not our best batsman.

Yeah I can understand both points of view. Anyway onto the next test, I’m surprised the Aussies were so defensive they were scared stiff of us smacking them all over the place.
T' 2023 tests on 16:28 - Jun 24 with 1347 viewsD_Alien

Well done Tammy Beaumont, first English woman to score a double ton and in the women's Ashes too

T' 2023 tests on 11:10 - Jun 28 with 1205 viewspioneer

Disappointed we havent named a full time keeper. Heaps a lot of pressure on Bairstow.
T' 2023 tests on 17:59 - Jun 28 with 1106 viewswatford_dale

T' 2023 tests on 11:10 - Jun 28 by pioneer

Disappointed we havent named a full time keeper. Heaps a lot of pressure on Bairstow.

Agreed, would prefer Foakes in as wkt - better with the gloves and if the top 6 do their job then there should be no need for a batting wkt keeper. Keep Bairstow in for his bat.

Would have been tempted to play Wood and would have rested Broad or Anderson but prob Anderson due to the conditions being in his favour but no wickets - is he injured?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024