Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5 Things About Manchester United 08:58 - Mar 13 with 1845 viewsSaintNick

1. The beer was reasonably priced for a football ground

2. The ground is full of tourists, I got on a Manchester bound train at Crewe that had started in Cardiff, packed with Manchester United fans.

3. The transport infrastructure is quite good, no problem getting tram from the City Centre and back again.

4. The atmosphere was shocking

5. Saints fans were superb, behind the team from start to finish and no barracking of their own players who get stick in home matches

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

5 Things About Manchester United on 16:29 - Mar 13 with 1640 viewsinthebox

Anybody who's lived in Manchester knows most locals support City. or the surrounding clubs Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport ......
The beer's price is based on the local prices.
The Labour Mayor made sure the transport system works.
MU is a brand
5 Things About Manchester United on 17:49 - Mar 13 with 1588 viewsericofarabia

5 Things About Manchester United on 16:29 - Mar 13 by inthebox

Anybody who's lived in Manchester knows most locals support City. or the surrounding clubs Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport ......
The beer's price is based on the local prices.
The Labour Mayor made sure the transport system works.
MU is a brand

The same Labour Mayor who tried to fast track Ultra Low Emissions Zone on The WHOLE Of Greater Manchester, not just inner city areas, an area nearly 3 1/2 times the size of Isle of Wight. Small Vans 10 quid a day and Lorries 60 quid a day, unless they bought newer updated or electric versions within a year. Imagine the impact on local business trying to absorb costs like that and how much delivery services would cost, to be passed onto customers etc
After a huge public outcry he is now saying it is unworkable ..... having spent 60 million quid on thousands of ANPR cameras, installing thousands of sign posts and then having to have them amended!
The tram is great if you live in areas it goes out to, but those of us in the outskirts of the Greater Manchester umbrella are screwed, especially Leigh where he used to be Local MP, but has all but forgotten about as he rose through the ranks of the labour party and now Lord Mayor of Manc. Rant over!!
5 Things About Manchester United on 18:04 - Mar 13 with 1559 viewsericofarabia

1/ I never drink beer at over priced (normally), watered down crap beers at Football grounds! Plenty of places in ton at varying degree of prices.
2/ Agree. Talking to locals on the bus into Manc and in pubs they hate them. One guy said he has got his ST renewal letter for next season and has till the end of April to pay up or lose it .... so they can presumably use it for a different tourist watch game to come in and spend hundreds of quids worth of merchandise at the super store. They are clamping down on lending your ticket to anybody if you cant go and have employed people to go round asking for id that matches the name on ST after you have sat down. .... even family members are not exempt!! Obviously trying to stop people making money out of it but heavy handed
3/ It has to be to deal with 70 odd thousand people every game!!
4&5/ Always is, but I was a bit disappointed at the long silent periods between songs from our fans too. Obviously a bit of nervous tension and concentration on the game came into play, and it was nice not to hear too many anti skate songs and a bit more variation than just OWTS. There was a group near me who took it upon themselves to try and get Janny B chants going all game

All in all a great day out just a shame we didnt get all 3 points and virtually everybody else got a draw or win!!
5 Things About Manchester United on 09:22 - Mar 14 with 1342 viewsSaintNick

5 Things About Manchester United on 18:04 - Mar 13 by ericofarabia

1/ I never drink beer at over priced (normally), watered down crap beers at Football grounds! Plenty of places in ton at varying degree of prices.
2/ Agree. Talking to locals on the bus into Manc and in pubs they hate them. One guy said he has got his ST renewal letter for next season and has till the end of April to pay up or lose it .... so they can presumably use it for a different tourist watch game to come in and spend hundreds of quids worth of merchandise at the super store. They are clamping down on lending your ticket to anybody if you cant go and have employed people to go round asking for id that matches the name on ST after you have sat down. .... even family members are not exempt!! Obviously trying to stop people making money out of it but heavy handed
3/ It has to be to deal with 70 odd thousand people every game!!
4&5/ Always is, but I was a bit disappointed at the long silent periods between songs from our fans too. Obviously a bit of nervous tension and concentration on the game came into play, and it was nice not to hear too many anti skate songs and a bit more variation than just OWTS. There was a group near me who took it upon themselves to try and get Janny B chants going all game

All in all a great day out just a shame we didnt get all 3 points and virtually everybody else got a draw or win!!

I dont usually have a beer before the game, but we got to the ground a bit earlier than we thought due to the ease of the transport system, so with all the pubs near the ground either chocca or home fans only had one in the ground.

£3 for a 500ml can of carling was expensive compared to what you would pay in a supermarket, but still good value in a football ground

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

5 Things About Manchester United on 10:19 - Mar 14 with 1308 viewsGasGiant

5 Things About Manchester United on 17:49 - Mar 13 by ericofarabia

The same Labour Mayor who tried to fast track Ultra Low Emissions Zone on The WHOLE Of Greater Manchester, not just inner city areas, an area nearly 3 1/2 times the size of Isle of Wight. Small Vans 10 quid a day and Lorries 60 quid a day, unless they bought newer updated or electric versions within a year. Imagine the impact on local business trying to absorb costs like that and how much delivery services would cost, to be passed onto customers etc
After a huge public outcry he is now saying it is unworkable ..... having spent 60 million quid on thousands of ANPR cameras, installing thousands of sign posts and then having to have them amended!
The tram is great if you live in areas it goes out to, but those of us in the outskirts of the Greater Manchester umbrella are screwed, especially Leigh where he used to be Local MP, but has all but forgotten about as he rose through the ranks of the labour party and now Lord Mayor of Manc. Rant over!!

Leigh does look a bit unfortunate in Public Transport terms - but you must be about a third the way to Liverpool which is so far out from Manchester Centre that if a Tram extension was built it would take about 90 minutes anyway. Shame the old heavy rail link to Victoria has gone. Northern Powerhouse eh?
5 Things About Manchester United on 11:35 - Mar 14 with 1282 viewssledger

i know we all dislike manchester united but credit where its due concourse prices were very fair with beer at £3 a go,most of the other clubs need to look at there rip off ways including our own club.I rarely drink much if at all inside the grounds but availed myself on sunday so maybe theres a lesson for the rip off clubs
5 Things About Manchester United on 13:47 - Mar 14 with 1227 viewsericofarabia

5 Things About Manchester United on 10:19 - Mar 14 by GasGiant

Leigh does look a bit unfortunate in Public Transport terms - but you must be about a third the way to Liverpool which is so far out from Manchester Centre that if a Tram extension was built it would take about 90 minutes anyway. Shame the old heavy rail link to Victoria has gone. Northern Powerhouse eh?

The Bus, which uses part of the old railway line as a Bus only Busway takes 45 mins to Manc. I think Rochdale and Bury are similar distances. But large areas of the old rail line are now covered in housing estates all reliant on a poxy bus service!!
5 Things About Manchester United on 13:52 - Mar 14 with 1212 viewsericofarabia

5 Things About Manchester United on 09:22 - Mar 14 by SaintNick

I dont usually have a beer before the game, but we got to the ground a bit earlier than we thought due to the ease of the transport system, so with all the pubs near the ground either chocca or home fans only had one in the ground.

£3 for a 500ml can of carling was expensive compared to what you would pay in a supermarket, but still good value in a football ground

That is actually very reasonable indeed, and the added bonus of not being watered down badly kept keg beer. Did they have any Bitter in cans?
Login to get fewer ads

5 Things About Manchester United on 15:47 - Mar 14 with 1127 viewsSFC_Referee

For 2, well that’s just modern day “fans” for you! As if you go to any young lads these days, just as many support the local teams, as of the amount of glory hunters there are.
As these days whenever I ask anyone who they support, I know if it’s us, the skates or Bournemouth then it’s just the local team, but almost always any of those “top 6” they’re a glory hunter for, and any others they’re certainly got some sort of family connection to, and 99% of the time I’m right as well.

And for 4, well again that’s just modern day fans as well, as almost all the “top 6” have their stadiums full of tourists that just never sing or create an atmosphere anymore, as none of their stadiums ever get them anymore. But even then it’s not too different for most of the other teams, although at least most stadiums will have at least 1/2 sections that create one, like how we’ve got the Itchen North and the Northam
[Post edited 14 Mar 2023 15:48]

Poll: Who’s everyone’s player of the season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024