Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Sandy 07:47 - Mar 26 with 9090 viewsrkershaw

If the unthinkable does happen PLEASE can we consider putting the 20 Wealdstone fans etc in the Sandy and locate all Dale fans the best stand in the ground (with the best uninterrupted views and the best accoustics and the best facilities etc) as the new main stand . Give up the last block on the right hand side of the current main stand (as you look at it from our new aforementioned home stand) and segregate by taking the block next to it out with large scale seat covering to those away fans who wish / need to sit. Give up the whole of the right hand side of the current main stand current home stand for bigger away support IF required. Close the Pearl End / left hand side of the current mains stand as you look at it from the aforementioned new home stand and employ youth team players to collect the ball from empty stand (hence saving monies paid out to stadium support staff) The local kn@bhead gang (with drum and flares) can be rehoused in the block of the new aforementioned home stand furthest away from the Sandy to avoid the obvious (or in the Pearl St end on their own!!). In short.....house ALL home support in the aforementioned new main stand for better atmosphere etc. And before the Sandy old timers have a grumble.....move on!!
[Post edited 26 Mar 2023 9:58]
The Sandy on 08:05 - Mar 26 with 5386 views442Dale

Not sure alienating supporters who prefer to stand or watch games from behind the goal is a great idea at a time when we need as many people on board as possible.

Similarly why would people move from the Pearl Street where there’s a good bar to the Willbutts, or fans from the main stand where they have the Ratcliffe at half time/main stand bars if they have hospitality seats? (Sandy Laners use the Ratcliffe too.)

So even if you shut the Sandy to home fans ALL home supporters wouldn’t be in one stand which, as illustrated, doesn’t have the best facilities.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The Sandy on 09:29 - Mar 26 with 5248 viewssomdale

Away support hasn't been great at Spotland this season has it, on the whole, plenty of clubs have only taken up one block in the main stand.
Could certainly fit most away teams support into the Sandy so I'm not sure of the difference being in the National League will make
The Sandy on 09:54 - Mar 26 with 5163 viewsrkershaw

The Sandy on 08:05 - Mar 26 by 442Dale

Not sure alienating supporters who prefer to stand or watch games from behind the goal is a great idea at a time when we need as many people on board as possible.

Similarly why would people move from the Pearl Street where there’s a good bar to the Willbutts, or fans from the main stand where they have the Ratcliffe at half time/main stand bars if they have hospitality seats? (Sandy Laners use the Ratcliffe too.)

So even if you shut the Sandy to home fans ALL home supporters wouldn’t be in one stand which, as illustrated, doesn’t have the best facilities.

Which part of the words 'move on' are you struggling with here exactly?? The Wilbutts stand is, without question THE best stand in the stadium bar none. Why we accommodate away fans in there is beyond me. We need a new approach / initiatives for a new era !!
The Sandy on 09:56 - Mar 26 with 5156 viewsrkershaw

The Sandy on 09:29 - Mar 26 by somdale

Away support hasn't been great at Spotland this season has it, on the whole, plenty of clubs have only taken up one block in the main stand.
Could certainly fit most away teams support into the Sandy so I'm not sure of the difference being in the National League will make

Because I am trying to advocate change.....it might upset some but you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs!!
The Sandy on 10:01 - Mar 26 with 5131 views442Dale

The Sandy on 09:54 - Mar 26 by rkershaw

Which part of the words 'move on' are you struggling with here exactly?? The Wilbutts stand is, without question THE best stand in the stadium bar none. Why we accommodate away fans in there is beyond me. We need a new approach / initiatives for a new era !!

It is the best stand for viewing the game from the side of the pitch. That’s my opinion, others will have differing opinions.

What it isn’t is the “best stand in the stadium bar none” because it doesn’t have the facilities as mentioned previously.

I’m not struggling with anything, but if we ‘move on’ by losing any of the supporters we have it’s moving on in the wrong direction.

The club would struggle with that.

The Sandy on 10:03 - Mar 26 with 5103 views442Dale

The Sandy on 09:56 - Mar 26 by rkershaw

Because I am trying to advocate change.....it might upset some but you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs!!

And you can’t make one when there are no eggs left in the box.

Also, the club gave home fans the option of using the Willbutts in the 11/12 season. It wasn’t popular enough to carry on permanently.

The Sandy on 10:08 - Mar 26 with 5079 viewsPorlicks

If Wealdstone are as excited about playing us as we are about them, they'll be bringing a lot more than 20 fans.

Could be a tasty opening day fixture.

Who are YOU with?

The Sandy on 10:08 - Mar 26 with 5077 viewsrkershaw

The Sandy on 10:03 - Mar 26 by 442Dale

And you can’t make one when there are no eggs left in the box.

Also, the club gave home fans the option of using the Willbutts in the 11/12 season. It wasn’t popular enough to carry on permanently.

That was 10 years ago and pre Numptyville!!
Login to get fewer ads

The Sandy on 10:11 - Mar 26 with 5052 views442Dale

The Sandy on 10:08 - Mar 26 by rkershaw

That was 10 years ago and pre Numptyville!!

Ok. And the rest of the points raised?

Where would the club make up the losses in half time bar takings in the Ratcliffe and the Pearl Street?

Selling eggs?

The Sandy on 10:12 - Mar 26 with 5048 viewsrkershaw

The Sandy on 10:01 - Mar 26 by 442Dale

It is the best stand for viewing the game from the side of the pitch. That’s my opinion, others will have differing opinions.

What it isn’t is the “best stand in the stadium bar none” because it doesn’t have the facilities as mentioned previously.

I’m not struggling with anything, but if we ‘move on’ by losing any of the supporters we have it’s moving on in the wrong direction.

The club would struggle with that.

By facilities do you mean the option of partaking in a pre match / post match shandy??
The Sandy on 10:12 - Mar 26 with 5046 viewsDale2017

When we are struggling for support as it is, you want to alienate a core group of loyal supporters and turf them out of a stand they've likely been using for decades in a lit of cases.

I'd only be in favour of closing the willbutts to away fans if they were moved to the corner of the pearl Street nearest willbutts.

I made the switch to the sandy about 10 years ago and for me it's really added to my matchday experience and would never go back to the pearl Street end
The Sandy on 10:14 - Mar 26 with 5028 viewsrkershaw

The Sandy on 10:11 - Mar 26 by 442Dale

Ok. And the rest of the points raised?

Where would the club make up the losses in half time bar takings in the Ratcliffe and the Pearl Street?

Selling eggs?

How about that really successful venture that used to make rhe club £££££......think it was called Goldbond or summat??
[Post edited 26 Mar 2023 10:15]
The Sandy on 10:14 - Mar 26 with 5010 views442Dale

The Sandy on 10:12 - Mar 26 by rkershaw

By facilities do you mean the option of partaking in a pre match / post match shandy??

See the previous post.

The idea would cost the club thousands over the season. It has no leg(g)s.

The Sandy on 10:17 - Mar 26 with 4974 views442Dale

The Sandy on 10:14 - Mar 26 by rkershaw

How about that really successful venture that used to make rhe club £££££......think it was called Goldbond or summat??
[Post edited 26 Mar 2023 10:15]

So would we have people moving about the Willbutts selling goldbond whilst carrying those beer backpacks serving pints and fried egg rolls?

We could be onto something here. And Wrexham thought bringing in someone from Hollywood was the only way out of non-league.

The Sandy on 10:20 - Mar 26 with 4967 viewsrkershaw

The Sandy on 10:12 - Mar 26 by Dale2017

When we are struggling for support as it is, you want to alienate a core group of loyal supporters and turf them out of a stand they've likely been using for decades in a lit of cases.

I'd only be in favour of closing the willbutts to away fans if they were moved to the corner of the pearl Street nearest willbutts.

I made the switch to the sandy about 10 years ago and for me it's really added to my matchday experience and would never go back to the pearl Street end

In a nutshell....your post is precisely the reason why we are such a backwards facing club. Why are we so against change / new ideas / fresh approaches / different ways of doing things. Let's just stay in the dark ages and continue on this downwards trajectory!! ??
The Sandy on 10:24 - Mar 26 with 4947 viewsrkershaw

The Sandy on 10:17 - Mar 26 by 442Dale

So would we have people moving about the Willbutts selling goldbond whilst carrying those beer backpacks serving pints and fried egg rolls?

We could be onto something here. And Wrexham thought bringing in someone from Hollywood was the only way out of non-league.

I appreciate your sense of humour but I believe that there are issues with getting an half time pint in the Radcliffe at half time. What would be the issue of fans using the Pearl St / Desmond's Den facility at half time (rename it the Copper Dragon's Den...new sponsorship opportunity!!) ;)
[Post edited 26 Mar 2023 10:26]
The Sandy on 10:27 - Mar 26 with 4916 viewsTVOS1907

The Sandy on 10:20 - Mar 26 by rkershaw

In a nutshell....your post is precisely the reason why we are such a backwards facing club. Why are we so against change / new ideas / fresh approaches / different ways of doing things. Let's just stay in the dark ages and continue on this downwards trajectory!! ??

I don’t think anyone is against new ideas if they are actually good ones.

This one isn't.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The Sandy on 10:31 - Mar 26 with 4907 viewskel

The Sandy on 10:24 - Mar 26 by rkershaw

I appreciate your sense of humour but I believe that there are issues with getting an half time pint in the Radcliffe at half time. What would be the issue of fans using the Pearl St / Desmond's Den facility at half time (rename it the Copper Dragon's Den...new sponsorship opportunity!!) ;)

In your OP you wanted to close the Pearl St stand. Make your mind up ffs.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2023 10:31]
The Sandy on 10:36 - Mar 26 with 4884 viewsTVOS1907

Radcliffe where one of the bury teams play? What's that got to do with Dale?

The Sandy on 10:51 - Mar 26 with 4850 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

The Sandy on 10:36 - Mar 26 by TVOS1907

Radcliffe where one of the bury teams play? What's that got to do with Dale?

I think he's referring to a place named after our esteemed ex chairperson Fred Radcliffe. But unfortunately dt's confuse him.
The Sandy on 10:57 - Mar 26 with 4836 viewsrkershaw

The Sandy on 10:31 - Mar 26 by kel

In your OP you wanted to close the Pearl St stand. Make your mind up ffs.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2023 10:31]

I haven't changed my mind Mr Kel. My OP advocates the closing of the Pearl St stand to all fans. Following another posters' concerns re: half time facilities I questioned if the facility in the Pearl St stand could be utilised at half time for such purposes!!?? Either that or the current facilities in the new main stand are remodelled / revamped to accomnodate the drinking of alcoholic substances during the half time interval.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2023 11:07]
The Sandy on 11:00 - Mar 26 with 4827 viewsEllDale

I’ve spoken to a few people who agree sadly that the Willbutts Lane stand may have to be mothballed next season apart from a few games where the visitors are likely to travel in numbers.
The burning question though is what to do with displaced away fans in the other matches?
One thing which may be crucial is that these fans need to have their own separate facilities eg toilets and food outlets.
It’s not just a matter of segregating the Pearl Street or the Main Stand with some stewards or tarpaulin.
It’s yet another decision that needs making sooner rather than later and not run into summer because, among other things, it could affect season ticket sales.
The Sandy on 11:42 - Mar 26 with 4662 viewsD_Alien

You're absolutely correct about one thing...

Half time is the only time to get an half time pint

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The Sandy on 11:42 - Mar 26 with 4668 viewsTVOS1907

The Sandy on 10:51 - Mar 26 by RooleyMoorBlue

I think he's referring to a place named after our esteemed ex chairperson Fred Radcliffe. But unfortunately dt's confuse him.

I knew what he meant!

The Sandy on 11:47 - Mar 26 with 4648 views49thseason

The Sandy on 11:00 - Mar 26 by EllDale

I’ve spoken to a few people who agree sadly that the Willbutts Lane stand may have to be mothballed next season apart from a few games where the visitors are likely to travel in numbers.
The burning question though is what to do with displaced away fans in the other matches?
One thing which may be crucial is that these fans need to have their own separate facilities eg toilets and food outlets.
It’s not just a matter of segregating the Pearl Street or the Main Stand with some stewards or tarpaulin.
It’s yet another decision that needs making sooner rather than later and not run into summer because, among other things, it could affect season ticket sales.

OK lets put our sensible heads on...
1. How much would it save if we mothballed the Wilbutts Lane Stand? £200, £300? Per game? And what if we need it for a big derby or a cup game? Where would we get the staff?
2. How many would just quit if they cannot stand somewhere?.. 3 of the 5 of us that currently stand together inmthe Sandy at least so there is £600 lost.The seats are uncomfortable if you are over 6 feet tall or have a gammy leg or a bad back.
3. The simple solution is to sell more tickets. Concentrate on that and everything else is more or less irrelevant.
4. The club said a while ago that they were reclaiming the Gold bond/ lotto in November 2023 so 7 months to get started and make it huge.
Upsetting loyal fans is not a solution, giving fans the best experiences that the club has ever offered are what are needed. Exceeding expectations, continuous improvement, fixing problems quickly and appropriately. Oh and putting a decent team on the pitch, I can live with a mid-table finish and financial consolidation if we set up to score lots of goals and play on the front foot. We need some excitement to replace 6 seasons of worstening dross.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024