Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? 07:18 - May 11 with 9771 viewsRs_Holy

I'm in the market for a new BBQ and my friends and family are totally divided on the best way forward.
I've got some peeps going on about the convenience of gas and the another sizable lot saying that charcoal gives a better taste to the food. I've also been shown a hybrid BBQ which does gas and/or charcoal (but those ones are VERY expensive).
Just wondering what the Loft For Words faithful thought on the matter and if you have any preferences for make and model? ... Cheers RH
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 10:27 - May 26 with 1900 viewsRangersw12

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 21:48 - May 25 by Lblock

Good luck to the OP with his venture into charcoal..... I reckon you'll get bored of the faff in 6 weeks!!!!

I'll be firing my beast up for it's first cook out of the season this weekend.
Money's tight but may splash out on a bit of Cote du Boeuf for the occasion and have my first glass of red in over two weeks.

Summer.

Bring it...

First cook !? We're on our 5th of year tomorrow 👀

It's far less faff than it used to be with the coal chimney but do get the point
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 11:39 - May 26 with 1837 viewsRBlock

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 15:53 - May 25 by BlackCrowe

Yep, i went that way too. Had a Weber chimney and then bought a second off amazon for 25% of price and it's just as good.

Ye, I'm a big proponent of "you get what you pay for", but in this case it's just a metal tube with holes in and a handle. No need to pay extra for the brand.
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 08:00 - May 29 with 1722 viewsRs_Holy

Quick update peeps - Purchased a Weber Master Touch and chimney on Saturday and had the family over yesterday to christen it properly.

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/master-touch/master-tou

As mentioned above, paying for a Weber chimney is a bit OTT as it is just a bit of formed sheet metal with a handle. But I can confirm that the use of a chimney makes life so much easier. Around 20 minutes and the coals were ready to put in the BBQ.
So Mistake No1... I filled the chimney to the top which was in hindsight a bit too much. I could have got away with around 3/4 full.
Mistake No2... I waited for around 1/2 an hour before starting cooking (temperature was around 260 degrees C... the thermometer is so bloody useful). This was too soon and I should have waited 1 to 1.5 hours before cooking. The food was fine but it was a bit frantic turning everything round constantly to prevent burning.
I was amazed at just how hot the Weber stayed... 2.5 hours after transferring the coals from the chimney I cooked 4 burgers that were surplus in the fridge just to see if the BBQ was hot enough. They were cooked better than the first lot I did.
Thanks for all the advice everyone, super happy with the purchase and I can't wait to crank it up again :)
[Post edited 29 May 2023 10:10]
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 10:18 - May 29 with 1675 viewsSuperhoops2808

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 08:00 - May 29 by Rs_Holy

Quick update peeps - Purchased a Weber Master Touch and chimney on Saturday and had the family over yesterday to christen it properly.

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecues/charcoal-barbecues/master-touch/master-tou

As mentioned above, paying for a Weber chimney is a bit OTT as it is just a bit of formed sheet metal with a handle. But I can confirm that the use of a chimney makes life so much easier. Around 20 minutes and the coals were ready to put in the BBQ.
So Mistake No1... I filled the chimney to the top which was in hindsight a bit too much. I could have got away with around 3/4 full.
Mistake No2... I waited for around 1/2 an hour before starting cooking (temperature was around 260 degrees C... the thermometer is so bloody useful). This was too soon and I should have waited 1 to 1.5 hours before cooking. The food was fine but it was a bit frantic turning everything round constantly to prevent burning.
I was amazed at just how hot the Weber stayed... 2.5 hours after transferring the coals from the chimney I cooked 4 burgers that were surplus in the fridge just to see if the BBQ was hot enough. They were cooked better than the first lot I did.
Thanks for all the advice everyone, super happy with the purchase and I can't wait to crank it up again :)

Used ours for the first time this weekend after a winter in the shed, and it cooked great.

Nothing beats the smell of charcoal burning and the food after

Good choice of barbeque too
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 17:01 - May 30 with 1535 viewsLblock

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 10:27 - May 26 by Rangersw12

First cook !? We're on our 5th of year tomorrow 👀

It's far less faff than it used to be with the coal chimney but do get the point

Used it four times over the BH weekend

Cote du Bouef - absolutely amazing, slight mishap with cook time but gas control sorted that
Chicken kebabs - stunning and done to a t
Bacon - thick cut rashers done for sarnie one lunchtime were superb
Rib eye steaks- cooked to perfection and were like butter (grilled some portabello mushrooms and beef tomatoes as well)

Bloody great to be cooking outside again!!!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 19:12 - May 30 with 1520 viewsBlackCrowe

It is indeed. Moreover, our bbq is at the end of the garden obscured from view from the house. I get as much pleasure from sitting down the end there away from it all with a beer, vape pen and 5 live sport on the radio waiting the coals to heat up as i do the actual cooking. Once the Ashes series starts, i may live down there.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 14:55 - Sep 7 with 1202 viewsBluce_Ree

In June I bought one of those Ninja Woodfire outdoor grills. 279 quid. Lovely.

At which point the weather was SHIT until this week. The price is even cheaper now. Bah!

But I fired it up two days ago (charged it up?) and it does a credible job. I made some burgers and sausages. From start to eating is less than 30 mins. You get some smoky flavour in there and the cook was really good. And the sun's come out today after a shit start, so I'm doing it all again once I fk work clean off in an hour.

Definitely need to hand in my man card for using an electric BBQ but it just works.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 15:37 - Sep 7 with 1126 viewsthompsonridd

I've been looking for a while at dual fuel as had one already but it was cheap and is s.hite!!!

I've decided to shell out a bit more now and go for this one:

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/140939/char-broil-140939-gas2coal-barbecue

Check out the video it explains how it works really well.

Happy cooking!!!
Login to get fewer ads

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 17:29 - Sep 7 with 1054 viewsstowmarketrange

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 09:39 - May 11 by robith

If you don't have charcoal, you have an outdoor oven.

I have a weber kettle which is great for your general grilling and short term smoking (love a beer can chicken). My mate donated his smoker when he moved so will be trying that out this summer. Think it's quite cheap so will be a nightmare to temperature control.

I'm getting a little JOY stove for impromptu grills

https://shop.londonlogco.com/collections/joystoves/products/joy-stove-medium

A chimney starter is great if you want to get moving quicker

Best value out there though is Aldi's big green egg dupe

https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-kamado-ceramic-egg-bbq/p/710081596330401

I also order restaurant grade charcoal online from Big K. 25KG bag lasted me 2 summers, and while they're tricky to light the long compressed briqueetes with a hole in the middle burn forever

I used to take my 40ft containers in their yard to load up to go overseas.About 15 years ago there was a big fire in the depot and it was smouldering for weeks.
I was tempted to bring some steaks along but it probably wouldn’t have been appreciated.
BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 12:38 - Jun 24 with 371 viewsBluce_Ree

Was pure up for a bbq last weekend but then the weather was shite on Friday, I was busy Saturday and then it looked shite on Sunday so I cooked it all in the oven for 1pm. By 2pm it was all SUMMERTIME AND THE WEATHER IS HIGH.

F**K.

Oh well, determined to get one in this week if the weather holds.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 13:12 - Jun 24 with 302 viewsLblock

Obviously been a shite summer so far.

Only had a handful of grill outs

Thank the Lord for this weather however looking at what I did this weekend I need to up my game or not have as many bottles of CruzCampo before turning up the gas.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 13:20 - Jun 24 with 285 viewsTheChef

BBQ's....Gas or Charcoal? on 08:00 - May 29 by Rs_Holy

Think our Weber is on its last legs and needs an upgrade. Not cheap though!

Anyone know the difference between the Master Touch and the rest of the range?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024