Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
There are none so blind as they who will not see 09:18 - Aug 22 with 2477 viewssaint901

Read the reports this morning about the Arsenal player picking up a yellow for time wasting and then another for a foul = sent off.

Arteta moaning that the player only had the ball 8 seconds before being booked. Hodgson seemed to support him and both were critical of the new rules.

First, the Arsenal player may have had the ball in hand for a while (more than 8 seconds), but from the time it went out, it had gone through three players - all wasting time - and the lad was perhaps unlucky to have the parcel when the music stopped in the ref's head. Tough. They know the rules, they had a briefing pre season and they were running the clock down. Perhaps Arteta and the like should concentrate on teaching his players the rules.

Second, I for one am really pleased that kicking the ball away is a yellow. It was meant to have been stamped out a few seasons ago but up to last season, it was a feature in every match. As is standing in front of a free kick. I understand that refs have been told to be firmer about delays to restarts and again, I agree with it. The game is about speed of movement and stopping the ball being in play is directly contrary to that.

Third, Rice was moaning about the time being added on. Does he not realise that it's because he and the other 21 players on the pitch are causing this? Play the game without gamesmanship and we'll get closer to 90 minutes. He complains as though it's somebody else causing the time being added on when it's him and the other players!

Many pro players are terminally stupid - not always their fault as their education is about kicking a ball and not much else - but managers are usually clever/cunning. I hope the refs continue to crack down and are not intimidated by managers moaning in the national press because then the managers will be telling the players not to get booked for petty stuff.
There are none so blind as they who will not see on 09:21 - Aug 22 with 2463 viewssolent_toffee

The second yellow was an absolute joke of a decision. Going down from getting brushed by a player is embarrassing. The ref was totally conned there.

I watched your game on Saturday and if that was a PL game, Charles would have been sent off twice over. Not that he did anything particularly dirty but the accumulation of the fouls times by the over reaction of the opponent and team mates plus throw in the shite PL refereeing and he wouldn’t have lasted the game.

Cracking player like.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 9:23]
There are none so blind as they who will not see on 10:00 - Aug 22 with 2384 viewssaint901

I agree that the standard of refereeing is not what it could be.

I also think that managers and players know this and try to set a picture in the ref's head about who should get the benefit of decisions.

The refs try to counter this by ignoring two players wrestling whilst waiting for the ball to get within playing distance (no ball = no foul) but looking for the "cynical" trip or block.

I have some sympathy. Every corner or free kick into the box could be a foul awarded for attackers or defenders. If the refs gave 5 penalties each a game, we'd all be up in arms but they could.

My point at the moment however is that time wasting and kicking the ball away and standing in front of free kicks is cheating - the players/managers were warned - they still do it and therefore until they learn they'll pick up yellow cards.
There are none so blind as they who will not see on 10:01 - Aug 22 with 2385 viewsIanSouthstander

And what about the 30 second rule for players to stand on the touchline before the're waved back onto the pitch.
I agree theres a need to crack down on time wasteing and cheating gits diving for non existant fouls. I'd keep them off longer. but to penalise a player for a genuine injury is just plain wrong. We had an instance at Plymouth saturday when we had a player sidelined after he was fouled and the ref wouldn't let him back on in a timely fashion.
Punish the guilty not the innocent.
There are none so blind as they who will not see on 10:25 - Aug 22 with 2352 viewsSFC_Referee

There are none so blind as they who will not see on 10:00 - Aug 22 by saint901

I agree that the standard of refereeing is not what it could be.

I also think that managers and players know this and try to set a picture in the ref's head about who should get the benefit of decisions.

The refs try to counter this by ignoring two players wrestling whilst waiting for the ball to get within playing distance (no ball = no foul) but looking for the "cynical" trip or block.

I have some sympathy. Every corner or free kick into the box could be a foul awarded for attackers or defenders. If the refs gave 5 penalties each a game, we'd all be up in arms but they could.

My point at the moment however is that time wasting and kicking the ball away and standing in front of free kicks is cheating - the players/managers were warned - they still do it and therefore until they learn they'll pick up yellow cards.

Yeah but even if they’re warned, have seen it happen week or week, those players and managers still can’t except that it’s their fault and always have to blame someone else!
As yeah I also agree that some of the refs aren’t the best, but like I’ve said before countless times on here, what do people expect? As why would the quality of a job that many will criticise yet not have the balls to do themselves, consistently have people quitting due to many factors, there being no real youth or academy setup for young refs and consistently get criticised for things they get correct! As it’s the lack of refs that have caused most of this, and that’s not the fault of the current refs whatsoever.

But as someone who was chatting to a prem ref the other day, he was saying all this stuff being enforced now a lot more (especially dissent) was mainly down to that Europa league final last season within Taylor in the middle for it. As all of the 5 major leagues pro ref groups, and pretty much unanimously agreed that things need to change and stuff needs to be done. Which is why we’re seeing many do it now, although some still aren’t which is causing some issues.
But at the same time refs can’t always necessarily be consistent on the cards, as there’s some games where you’ve gotta be a lot harsher with them to be able to manage games, whilst others you don’t, which is why I can’t stand it when people compare yellow card offences for open play incidents, as there’s a reason why refs aren’t consistent in those situations.

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

There are none so blind as they who will not see on 12:16 - Aug 22 with 2271 viewssaint901

Absolutely agree that there are not enough refs and that there should be a pyramid system which encourages participation at the lowest level and brings through those with the ability to manage top games.

That means support as well as decent salaries. How about all PL clubs contribute 1% of their salary bill to pay for this ref system?

There is also a need for a system to identify and if necessary punish players and managers for acts that cheat the game (and the ref).

A panel (made up of the same people - refs and ex players - each week) reviews the matches. Where they consider that a player has cheated, say a dive or a feinged injury or some other incident which a ref has not seen or has got wrong because a player has simulated contact or gone down soft, a de-merit point is given.

We could also see these where players surround a ref to contest a decision or a manager does something which I would call bringing the game into disrepute. Fair comment in the post match press conference is fine but not what we saw Mourinho do.

When a team reaches say 50 de-merit points, a warning is given. If they reach 75, they lose a league point. 100 de-merits - 3 league points. And then another every 10 more points.

Balance this with the panel consulting with the match ref before issuing a de-merit point and make sure that an explanation is given for each one.

I'd also fine the clubs say £25k (peanuts in PL terms) for each de-merit point and use the funds to fund the ref program.

There are 380 games in a PL season. I'd be surprised if teams reached enough de-merit points for league points deduction. We might though see an average of 1 per match? That's £9.5m of fines. That is a good start at funding a ref program.
There are none so blind as they who will not see on 12:31 - Aug 22 with 2256 viewssledger

There are none so blind as they who will not see on 09:21 - Aug 22 by solent_toffee

The second yellow was an absolute joke of a decision. Going down from getting brushed by a player is embarrassing. The ref was totally conned there.

I watched your game on Saturday and if that was a PL game, Charles would have been sent off twice over. Not that he did anything particularly dirty but the accumulation of the fouls times by the over reaction of the opponent and team mates plus throw in the shite PL refereeing and he wouldn’t have lasted the game.

Cracking player like.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2023 9:23]

his second yellow may be on the soft side however had he not stupidly got booked before we would have heard nothing of this,players and managers truly are as thick as pig sh+t
There are none so blind as they who will not see on 12:41 - Aug 22 with 2236 viewsSFC_Referee

There are none so blind as they who will not see on 12:16 - Aug 22 by saint901

Absolutely agree that there are not enough refs and that there should be a pyramid system which encourages participation at the lowest level and brings through those with the ability to manage top games.

That means support as well as decent salaries. How about all PL clubs contribute 1% of their salary bill to pay for this ref system?

There is also a need for a system to identify and if necessary punish players and managers for acts that cheat the game (and the ref).

A panel (made up of the same people - refs and ex players - each week) reviews the matches. Where they consider that a player has cheated, say a dive or a feinged injury or some other incident which a ref has not seen or has got wrong because a player has simulated contact or gone down soft, a de-merit point is given.

We could also see these where players surround a ref to contest a decision or a manager does something which I would call bringing the game into disrepute. Fair comment in the post match press conference is fine but not what we saw Mourinho do.

When a team reaches say 50 de-merit points, a warning is given. If they reach 75, they lose a league point. 100 de-merits - 3 league points. And then another every 10 more points.

Balance this with the panel consulting with the match ref before issuing a de-merit point and make sure that an explanation is given for each one.

I'd also fine the clubs say £25k (peanuts in PL terms) for each de-merit point and use the funds to fund the ref program.

There are 380 games in a PL season. I'd be surprised if teams reached enough de-merit points for league points deduction. We might though see an average of 1 per match? That's £9.5m of fines. That is a good start at funding a ref program.

There is a pyramid system mate, as thees refereeing levels between 7 and 1, and then have above them a few extra categories. As any prem ref, will have officiated in every league below the prem at some point for the area they lived their lives in.
And yeah most of what your saying I wouldn’t see as a bad idea whatsoever, it’s just the prem and the teams would never agree or sign up to that, as that means they all loose money, and we all ‘now how they value that above anything else! Which is why unfortunately I just can’t see anything like this happening anytime soon

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

There are none so blind as they who will not see on 14:48 - Aug 22 with 2130 viewsMonksway

I'm just relieved there is no VAR. There will always be mistakes, lack of consistency, awful decisions etc but at least without VAR they happen straightaway rather than waiting for ten minutes and then still get a crap decision.
Login to get fewer ads

There are none so blind as they who will not see on 14:53 - Aug 22 with 2126 viewsarfurdent

Premier League is fixed so why bother trying to fix it

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

There are none so blind as they who will not see on 18:21 - Aug 23 with 1924 viewshedgeend61

There are none so blind as they who will not see on 14:53 - Aug 22 by arfurdent

Premier League is fixed so why bother trying to fix it

Tell us more, how's it fixed?
There are none so blind as they who will not see on 10:19 - Aug 24 with 1723 viewssaint901

There was a piece in the Times yesterday from Teddy Sheringham complaining about how the refs are "ruining" the game by dishing out red cards for "trivial" offences or where contact is light and the player goes down soft.

Idiot.

He should be asking why the player went down with minimal contact. Was it to con the ref into giving the offender a yellow? Was it to "win" a free kick in a dangerous place?

Fault lies with the player and his manager who no doubt was encouraging him to buy a free kick and if an opposition player gets carded as well, that's a bonus.

Sheringham refuses to see that players are responsible for much of the problem and if they were honest and did not throw themselves around, the refs job would be easier and the fans would get what they pay for.
There are none so blind as they who will not see on 19:25 - Aug 24 with 1591 viewsarfurdent

There are none so blind as they who will not see on 18:21 - Aug 23 by hedgeend61

Tell us more, how's it fixed?

Refs, VAR and some players getting more brown envelopes than Harry Bagpuss

Plenty of threads on Reddit

There are none so blind as they who will not see on 21:16 - Aug 24 with 1457 viewshedgeend61

There are none so blind as they who will not see on 19:25 - Aug 24 by arfurdent

Refs, VAR and some players getting more brown envelopes than Harry Bagpuss

Plenty of threads on Reddit

Had to google Reddit, some Yank nonsense by the looks of it, you'll be telling us Trump won the last election and Elvis is still alive next. Yous need to get out more.

Give us one example of something iffy in PL, say in 2023, just one will be fine. Thanks
There are none so blind as they who will not see on 18:59 - Aug 25 with 1324 viewsarfurdent

There are none so blind as they who will not see on 21:16 - Aug 24 by hedgeend61

Had to google Reddit, some Yank nonsense by the looks of it, you'll be telling us Trump won the last election and Elvis is still alive next. Yous need to get out more.

Give us one example of something iffy in PL, say in 2023, just one will be fine. Thanks

might I suggest
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66612570

There are none so blind as they who will not see on 20:49 - Aug 25 with 1253 viewshedgeend61

There are none so blind as they who will not see on 18:59 - Aug 25 by arfurdent

might I suggest
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66612570

That's a poor decision by a poor (now retired) ref who's probably got a book coming out soon, nobody on this universe is suggesting brown envelopes were involved.

Give us an example from this year 2023, (not a poor decision from last year only announced this morning) of the many players and refs getting brown envelopes, just one from the many will suffice. Ta
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024