Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see 21:12 - Aug 28 with 4135 viewsvetchonian

I have begun to wonder why it is managers seem not to be able to spot the issues in a team that we fans see such as the unbalanced midfield with Grimes and Fulton,five at the back for example.
This seems to be not unique to Duff as these things were highlighted under Martin too and over the years many of our mamagers even before the advent of the Internet had critique by fans of things not right in the team.
Surely if us "amateurs " can see this why dont the "pros"

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 21:33 - Aug 28 with 3253 viewsTreforys_Jack

Asked myself that many times. It's like why was Grimes on dead ball duty for a few seasons despite creating absolutely nothing. It must be the rest were even worse. Totally agree avout Fulton and Grimes.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 21:35 - Aug 28 with 3250 viewsBoundy

IMO who we've recently had as manager has set up their teams to nullify the opposition threat rather than have them worry about us which in turn making us look rather negative especially so at home , also maybe appearance money has a factor , who knows but it is strange to witness such recurrences

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 08:20 - Aug 29 with 3057 viewsjack247

Martin was undoubtedly stubborn. See how long Duff persists with it if results don’t start coming.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 09:23 - Aug 29 with 2997 viewsploppy

The answer is obvious, surely. They know more than us.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 09:26 - Aug 29 with 2994 viewsraynor94

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 09:23 - Aug 29 by ploppy

Agree

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 09:33 - Aug 29 with 2973 viewsjack247

To be fair, very hard to argue with that. There will be a reason, we just can’t see it.

I can see peoples points though. Martin persisted with 5 at the back and kept losing. As soon as he did what most people had been calling for he started winning. Now Duff has gone 5 at the back and he’s losing.

Maybe it’s a lot more effective with the type of player he’s expecting to bring in.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 09:33 - Aug 29 with 2973 viewsWhiterockin

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 09:26 - Aug 29 by raynor94

Agree

I have always felt the same about players. Ferrie Bodde is the only player for us who could pick a pass that we could see in the stands
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 10:08 - Aug 29 with 2922 viewsonehunglow

What did Martin know about Fish that we didn’t .
Managers should not have favourites and pick on merit.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 11:21 - Aug 29 with 2861 viewsjack247

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 10:08 - Aug 29 by onehunglow

What did Martin know about Fish that we didn’t .
Managers should not have favourites and pick on merit.

Initially yes, but Benda had worked his way back to number one. He just got injured.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 12:04 - Aug 29 with 2809 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I can understand it during the game as they are on the sidelene and do not see the overall field picture that fans in the stands and watching TV see.
But surely they must see it in the after match video analysis?
Or don't they use it anymore?
If they had someone communicating with them from high up in the stands who can see what is happening as some league rugby teams do maybe they could make better and quicker decisions.
But not if they are stubborn enough to think that they made the right decisions at the start of the match and don't need to react to the oppo changes even when it is obvious we are getting slaughtered, in which case they shouldn't be managing.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 12:57 - Aug 29 with 2767 viewsploppy

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 09:33 - Aug 29 by jack247

To be fair, very hard to argue with that. There will be a reason, we just can’t see it.

I can see peoples points though. Martin persisted with 5 at the back and kept losing. As soon as he did what most people had been calling for he started winning. Now Duff has gone 5 at the back and he’s losing.

Maybe it’s a lot more effective with the type of player he’s expecting to bring in.

I'm confused. Some people were complaining that Martin was playing 5 at the back when clearly we were playing 3. Some people were complaining that we were playing 3 and wanted to play 4.

So which is it with Duff? Darling, Cabango and Wood are clearly a back 3. Key and Ashby spending most of their time in advanced positions don't make it a back 5.

Many teams play 3 at the back now, and the reasons are obvious. Firstly, you can easily switch to 3 when in possession and 5 when not, if you feel like it. Secondly, many teams only play one up front, sometimes two, so having a back 5 against one striker makes absolutely no sense. You end up being overrun in midfield. Even 4 against one makes no sense.

And to suggest (not you) that that the manager doesn't know what's going on on the field is laughable, IMHO.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 13:13 - Aug 29 with 2740 viewsjack247

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 12:57 - Aug 29 by ploppy

I'm confused. Some people were complaining that Martin was playing 5 at the back when clearly we were playing 3. Some people were complaining that we were playing 3 and wanted to play 4.

So which is it with Duff? Darling, Cabango and Wood are clearly a back 3. Key and Ashby spending most of their time in advanced positions don't make it a back 5.

Many teams play 3 at the back now, and the reasons are obvious. Firstly, you can easily switch to 3 when in possession and 5 when not, if you feel like it. Secondly, many teams only play one up front, sometimes two, so having a back 5 against one striker makes absolutely no sense. You end up being overrun in midfield. Even 4 against one makes no sense.

And to suggest (not you) that that the manager doesn't know what's going on on the field is laughable, IMHO.

Yeah fair enough, it’s lazy to call it a 532 when the wing backs are so high up the pitch now and were even more so under Marin.

Back 3 then. I wouldn’t be as arrogant or as stupid to suggest I understand a fraction of what a championship level manager does.

In theory it’s fine. If the wingbacks cover full back and winger, you’ve effectively got numerical advantages everywhere. That’s not happening at the moment.

The back 3 often look like they don’t know who to pick up. The first goal scorer was Darlings man Saturday, but watching it back, it seemed like he was expecting Cabango to challenge for it.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 13:31 - Aug 29 with 2720 viewsSullutaCreturned

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 13:13 - Aug 29 by jack247

Yeah fair enough, it’s lazy to call it a 532 when the wing backs are so high up the pitch now and were even more so under Marin.

Back 3 then. I wouldn’t be as arrogant or as stupid to suggest I understand a fraction of what a championship level manager does.

In theory it’s fine. If the wingbacks cover full back and winger, you’ve effectively got numerical advantages everywhere. That’s not happening at the moment.

The back 3 often look like they don’t know who to pick up. The first goal scorer was Darlings man Saturday, but watching it back, it seemed like he was expecting Cabango to challenge for it.

You do understand a fraction of it, it's the size of the fraction that's debatable.

Under Martin the wing backs were usually to high up and couldn't get back to defend.

Under Duff the 3 CB's seem a bit lost at times, they try to play keep ball but we haven't had the movement in midfield to make it easier for them, that was very true at Preston, we were playing statues again in the second half and made it easy for the oppo.

This bit...In theory it’s fine. If the wingbacks cover full back and winger, you’ve effectively got numerical advantages everywhere.... is wrong sorry. you cannot have numerical advantages everywhere. Both teams have the same number of players, if we have a numerical advantage in defence and win the ball back then looking forward the oppo must have a numerical advantage somewhere too.

I'd say it was Darlings man too but he stood still, he's becoming a liability. If we can't defend properly using wing backs we need to go to make changes. Martin stuck by his preferred formation long after it was clear we didn't have the players for it, is Duff making the same choices?
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 13:43 - Aug 29 with 2706 viewsjack247

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 13:31 - Aug 29 by SullutaCreturned

You do understand a fraction of it, it's the size of the fraction that's debatable.

Under Martin the wing backs were usually to high up and couldn't get back to defend.

Under Duff the 3 CB's seem a bit lost at times, they try to play keep ball but we haven't had the movement in midfield to make it easier for them, that was very true at Preston, we were playing statues again in the second half and made it easy for the oppo.

This bit...In theory it’s fine. If the wingbacks cover full back and winger, you’ve effectively got numerical advantages everywhere.... is wrong sorry. you cannot have numerical advantages everywhere. Both teams have the same number of players, if we have a numerical advantage in defence and win the ball back then looking forward the oppo must have a numerical advantage somewhere too.

I'd say it was Darlings man too but he stood still, he's becoming a liability. If we can't defend properly using wing backs we need to go to make changes. Martin stuck by his preferred formation long after it was clear we didn't have the players for it, is Duff making the same choices?

Turn of phrase. I only understand a tiny fraction…..if you prefer.

Bit about movement in midfield. Completely agree. Fulton has been especially guilty of it this season. He’s great at winning the ball. He’s not as confident receiving it in a congested midfield with opponents breathing down his neck.

‘Effectively’. It’s still 11 v 11. The idea of wingbacks is you have 5 in defence when defending and 5 in midfield/attack when going forward. It doesn’t matter if the opposition have a numerical advantage in an irrelevant part of the pitch.

Yeah it was definitely Darlings man. What I should have said was in a 4, he’d have been certain it was his man and potentially would have put in more of a challenge.

Is Duff falling into the same trap as Martin? It looks like it to me, but as Ploppy has said, they are both far more knowledgeable than me.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 13:53 - Aug 29 with 2691 viewsSullutaCreturned

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 13:43 - Aug 29 by jack247

Turn of phrase. I only understand a tiny fraction…..if you prefer.

Bit about movement in midfield. Completely agree. Fulton has been especially guilty of it this season. He’s great at winning the ball. He’s not as confident receiving it in a congested midfield with opponents breathing down his neck.

‘Effectively’. It’s still 11 v 11. The idea of wingbacks is you have 5 in defence when defending and 5 in midfield/attack when going forward. It doesn’t matter if the opposition have a numerical advantage in an irrelevant part of the pitch.

Yeah it was definitely Darlings man. What I should have said was in a 4, he’d have been certain it was his man and potentially would have put in more of a challenge.

Is Duff falling into the same trap as Martin? It looks like it to me, but as Ploppy has said, they are both far more knowledgeable than me.

The idea of the numerical advantage anywhere being irrelevant is alien to me, if we have 5 back against 3, when we look to break forward then the oppo already have more men behind the ball, its never irrelevant, as the great Brian Clough said, if a player isn't interfering with play....

Besides which, if you do manage a numerical advanatge then you need to break with pace and how many times have we managed that? We lose any advantage we create by being so slow.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 14:03 - Aug 29 with 2669 viewsjack247

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 13:53 - Aug 29 by SullutaCreturned

The idea of the numerical advantage anywhere being irrelevant is alien to me, if we have 5 back against 3, when we look to break forward then the oppo already have more men behind the ball, its never irrelevant, as the great Brian Clough said, if a player isn't interfering with play....

Besides which, if you do manage a numerical advanatge then you need to break with pace and how many times have we managed that? We lose any advantage we create by being so slow.

Yes, absolutely. It’s not working. I’m not trying to pretend we’re playing with wingbacks effectively, in fact that’s my point. It works in theory, we.can’t make it work in practice.

Martinez’ triangle system was based on creating small numerical advantages (3 v 2 , 2 v 1 etc) all over the pitch. That’s the most obvious example I can think of because he made it work.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 14:05 - Aug 29 with 2663 viewsBryanSwan

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 13:13 - Aug 29 by jack247

Whilst it may be simplistic it is still correct, I would prefer to break it down into attacking/defensively minded players.
In the current set up we have 7 defensively minded players on the pitch compared to 3 attacking ones. (I will not have so called "wingbacks" being portrayed as attacking players).
Most of the better teams in this league are playing with a back 4 and true width. I slated our system last year and will continue to do so this year.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 14:13 - Aug 29 with 2641 viewsjack247

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 14:05 - Aug 29 by BryanSwan

Whilst it may be simplistic it is still correct, I would prefer to break it down into attacking/defensively minded players.
In the current set up we have 7 defensively minded players on the pitch compared to 3 attacking ones. (I will not have so called "wingbacks" being portrayed as attacking players).
Most of the better teams in this league are playing with a back 4 and true width. I slated our system last year and will continue to do so this year.

Yeah I agree with you. If I was picking the team it would be 433 or 451. No one can seriously argue with Ploppys point though.

I wouldn’t call Key or Ashby defensive minded, it’s just a label for their position. Certainly the likes of Laird, Wolf and Christie weren’t defensive for us. Manning got forward a lot.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 14:53 - Aug 29 with 2600 viewsBryanSwan

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 14:13 - Aug 29 by jack247

Yeah I agree with you. If I was picking the team it would be 433 or 451. No one can seriously argue with Ploppys point though.

I wouldn’t call Key or Ashby defensive minded, it’s just a label for their position. Certainly the likes of Laird, Wolf and Christie weren’t defensive for us. Manning got forward a lot.

The current system and Martins relied on fullbacks being in the positions of traditional wingers when attacking. In my opinion none of them are capable of playing as a winger offensively and therefore i wouldnt consider them "attacking" as such. ( just my view on it).

Unfortunately i can't see us adopting a more attacking strategy in the near future.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 14:56 - Aug 29 with 2600 viewsjasper_T

That's definitely the logic some managers use to not have to reassess their approach. "All these thicko fans are telling me to do x, but I'm an ex-pro with badges so I should stick with y even though it's not been working for months".
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 15:05 - Aug 29 with 2570 viewsjack247

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 14:53 - Aug 29 by BryanSwan

The current system and Martins relied on fullbacks being in the positions of traditional wingers when attacking. In my opinion none of them are capable of playing as a winger offensively and therefore i wouldnt consider them "attacking" as such. ( just my view on it).

Unfortunately i can't see us adopting a more attacking strategy in the near future.

I agree with the last part. Martin was stubborn beyond belief. I don’t know, but gut feeling is Duff is the same.

In both cases (obviously with the caveat Duff could change it tonight for all I know) I get the feeling they’ve come here with a preconceived idea of how they want to play and if the players don’t suit it they’d sooner change the players than the system.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 15:14 - Aug 29 with 2562 viewsploppy

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 14:56 - Aug 29 by jasper_T

That's definitely the logic some managers use to not have to reassess their approach. "All these thicko fans are telling me to do x, but I'm an ex-pro with badges so I should stick with y even though it's not been working for months".

I'd be amazed if any manager listens to, let alone takes "advice" from, fans.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 15:40 - Aug 29 with 2527 viewsWhiterockin

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 15:14 - Aug 29 by ploppy

I'd be amazed if any manager listens to, let alone takes "advice" from, fans.

Agreed, but you don't need to be an English teacher to see when someone can't spell.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 19:29 - Aug 29 with 2410 viewsSullutaCreturned

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 14:53 - Aug 29 by BryanSwan

My opinion this season is the same as the last 2 seasons, if we go 3-5-2 then get proper wingers in and ask them to track back. Dyer and Routs used to track back, why be obsessed with something that hasn't worked.

In support of jaspers post, I was sat with Fireboy in Preston and we could both see what was coming but fireboy was the first one to say it.
If fans can see what's coming then why can't the manager/coach?

We could all see the problem down our left side yet nothing was done about the tactical switch until it was too late. Then, after 80 minutes of making no physical impression in Preston's box he put Kuharevich on who managed to produce 2 decent moments out of very little and his size and strength was clearly having an effect. I'd been calling for him after the hour, he should have been on sooner because Preston basically bullied us for much of the game.

You can be an ex pro with all the badges but it doesn't guarantee you'll be a decent manager.
And in saying that, no I don't think I'd be a good manager, making the calls from the stands is far easier than from the dugout.

I did think Duff had siad though, we would be more high tempo, more front foot. I do hope we haven't signed a manager who's turning into Martin Mk2. Time will tell.
Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 20:29 - Aug 29 with 2353 viewsmax936

Why is it managers cant see what we fans see on 19:29 - Aug 29 by SullutaCreturned

My opinion this season is the same as the last 2 seasons, if we go 3-5-2 then get proper wingers in and ask them to track back. Dyer and Routs used to track back, why be obsessed with something that hasn't worked.

In support of jaspers post, I was sat with Fireboy in Preston and we could both see what was coming but fireboy was the first one to say it.
If fans can see what's coming then why can't the manager/coach?

We could all see the problem down our left side yet nothing was done about the tactical switch until it was too late. Then, after 80 minutes of making no physical impression in Preston's box he put Kuharevich on who managed to produce 2 decent moments out of very little and his size and strength was clearly having an effect. I'd been calling for him after the hour, he should have been on sooner because Preston basically bullied us for much of the game.

You can be an ex pro with all the badges but it doesn't guarantee you'll be a decent manager.
And in saying that, no I don't think I'd be a good manager, making the calls from the stands is far easier than from the dugout.

I did think Duff had siad though, we would be more high tempo, more front foot. I do hope we haven't signed a manager who's turning into Martin Mk2. Time will tell.

"I did think Duff had said though, we would be more high tempo, more front foot. I do hope we haven't signed a manager who's turning into Martin Mk2. Time will tell.

To be honest I don't think Duff knows as whether have a shite or an haircut at the moment, after watching us Saturday, I'm unable to come to any other conclusion to be honest!

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024