Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dodgy concrete 17:09 - Sep 1 with 3217 viewsSullutaCreturned

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66675364
Dodgy concrete on 18:25 - Sep 1 with 2697 viewsWingstandwood

QUOTE: RAAC is a light "bubbly" concrete, which meant it was used in roofs, but that it doesn't have the "inherent strength of reinforced concrete and has a limited shelf life".

It lasts only a few decades. A temporary building/construction project basically.

That saying "pay cheap, pay twice".

Argus!

Dodgy concrete on 18:29 - Sep 1 with 2687 viewsGwyn737

Wales are a bit behind the curve with this.

Over 150 schools in England we told not to open today and all schools were given template letters to send to families to say if there was a possible issue or not going forward.
Dodgy concrete on 20:01 - Sep 1 with 2660 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Apparently it was not used in just schools.
Many other government buildings also have it.
Dodgy concrete on 21:08 - Sep 1 with 2628 viewsmajorraglan

Dodgy concrete on 20:01 - Sep 1 by A_Fans_Dad

Apparently it was not used in just schools.
Many other government buildings also have it.

Is the correct answer, according to the BBC it’s been found in Withybush, Bronglaid and Neville Hall hospitals. I’d imagine it’s probably in council buildings, Courts and police stations.
Dodgy concrete on 00:36 - Sep 2 with 2592 viewsRobbie

I though I had problems getting punctual and decent estimates for a job , excuses and waffle followed then after much time chasing so called recommended people , gave up .

Not sure of the Building Regulations and Safety Standards required back then .

Looks like any Council owned building I need to enter , look upward , not ahead .
Dodgy concrete on 16:26 - Sep 2 with 2532 viewsSullutaCreturned

Dodgy concrete on 21:08 - Sep 1 by majorraglan

Is the correct answer, according to the BBC it’s been found in Withybush, Bronglaid and Neville Hall hospitals. I’d imagine it’s probably in council buildings, Courts and police stations.

I suspect this is something that will rumble on for a long while.
Dodgy concrete on 21:16 - Sep 4 with 2460 viewsKilkennyjack

The UK Government says it won't pay for repair work for buildings affected by the RAAC concrete in Wales despite the material being used by the Department of Education before devolution.

🇬🇧
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 21:17]

Beware of the Risen People

Dodgy concrete on 22:36 - Sep 4 with 2423 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Dodgy concrete on 21:16 - Sep 4 by Kilkennyjack

The UK Government says it won't pay for repair work for buildings affected by the RAAC concrete in Wales despite the material being used by the Department of Education before devolution.

🇬🇧
[Post edited 4 Sep 2023 21:17]

It’ll all be paid for by the UK taxpayer anyway

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Login to get fewer ads

Dodgy concrete on 22:47 - Sep 4 with 2421 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Dodgy concrete on 16:26 - Sep 2 by SullutaCreturned

I suspect this is something that will rumble on for a long while.

Literally

Dodgy concrete on 07:48 - Sep 5 with 2390 viewsKilkennyjack

Dodgy concrete on 22:36 - Sep 4 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

It’ll all be paid for by the UK taxpayer anyway

According to Mick Antoniw MS

‘The Tories savaged the school building programme they inherited from Labour in 2010 @WelshLabour Gov have built and refurbished Welsh schools with massive investment over past 13 years . 21st Century Schools programme! Sick of Tory and Welsh Tory lies .’

Looks like welsh gov did the right things.
Well done Professor Drakeford.
We have all seen many new schools going up over last decade.

Wales is not England. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
[Post edited 5 Sep 2023 7:54]

Dodgy concrete on 14:00 - Sep 6 with 2333 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Dodgy concrete on 07:48 - Sep 5 by Kilkennyjack

‘The Tories savaged the school building programme they inherited from Labour in 2010 @WelshLabour Gov have built and refurbished Welsh schools with massive investment over past 13 years . 21st Century Schools programme! Sick of Tory and Welsh Tory lies .’

Apparently you got it wrong again. You know doubt remember the Labour government crashed the economy in 2010 when they were forced to bail out the country. The government that replaced Labour in 2010 was a Liberal Conservative government and they indeed cut all budgets that year to try and sort out the mess left by Labour.
Not sure it was savaged cut by less than 5%. Spending per pupil after allowing for inflation has is pretty much the same now is in the last labour years.

Not sure Drakeford can claim much credit as educational standards in Wales continue to be below those achieved in England. Mind you Scotland has fared much worse under the SNP. Scotland did had one of the best educational system in the World now it is worse than both Wales snd England.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Dodgy concrete on 16:01 - Sep 6 with 2312 viewsGwyn737

Dodgy concrete on 14:00 - Sep 6 by felixstowe_jack

Apparently you got it wrong again. You know doubt remember the Labour government crashed the economy in 2010 when they were forced to bail out the country. The government that replaced Labour in 2010 was a Liberal Conservative government and they indeed cut all budgets that year to try and sort out the mess left by Labour.
Not sure it was savaged cut by less than 5%. Spending per pupil after allowing for inflation has is pretty much the same now is in the last labour years.

Not sure Drakeford can claim much credit as educational standards in Wales continue to be below those achieved in England. Mind you Scotland has fared much worse under the SNP. Scotland did had one of the best educational system in the World now it is worse than both Wales snd England.

That’s a very disingenuous way of presenting school funding.

Yes in 2021 schools funding was matched in real terms and this has been maintained to 2023, following industrial action of course.

Between 2010 and 2020 school funding reduced in real terms by 9%, so a fairer way of looking at it would be to say that the Tories cut school funding for 10 of the 13 years they’ve been in power.
Dodgy concrete on 16:12 - Sep 6 with 2314 viewsSullutaCreturned

Dodgy concrete on 22:47 - Sep 4 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Literally

Yeah, that was intended
Dodgy concrete on 16:20 - Sep 6 with 2310 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Everything is a political football these days, it's getting more than boring.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Dodgy concrete on 19:20 - Sep 6 with 2293 viewsKilkennyjack

This explains it well …..

Please draw your own conclusions.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2023 19:22]

Dodgy concrete on 19:52 - Sep 6 with 2261 viewstrampie

Dodgy concrete on 19:20 - Sep 6 by Kilkennyjack

This explains it well …..

Please draw your own conclusions.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2023 19:22]

It's shocking, why or why do the English vote Tory ?, Nye Bevan said that "Tories are lower than vermin".

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Dodgy concrete on 20:33 - Sep 6 with 2250 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Dodgy concrete on 07:48 - Sep 5 by Kilkennyjack

Wales is the uk though and gets all its funding from the UK taxpayer.

So it’s irrelevant what Mick Antoniw MS thinks.

Dodgy concrete on 23:01 - Sep 6 with 2204 viewsKilkennyjack

Dodgy concrete on 20:33 - Sep 6 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Wales is the uk though and gets all its funding from the UK taxpayer.

So it’s irrelevant what Mick Antoniw MS thinks.

He is giving the facts so it is relevent.

You are stuck in 1957 so not very relevent…..

Dodgy concrete on 14:12 - Sep 7 with 2117 viewsReslovenSwan1

Dodgy concrete on 18:25 - Sep 1 by Wingstandwood

QUOTE: RAAC is a light "bubbly" concrete, which meant it was used in roofs, but that it doesn't have the "inherent strength of reinforced concrete and has a limited shelf life".

It lasts only a few decades. A temporary building/construction project basically.

I am not a structural engineer but worked alongside them in the 1980 and 1990 i large consultancies . I have never heard of any structure being designed for 30 years. 70- 100 years may be.

It sounds inconceivable to me that this was the approach in the 1980s.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Dodgy concrete on 15:59 - Sep 7 with 2097 viewsKilkennyjack

Dodgy concrete on 14:12 - Sep 7 by ReslovenSwan1

I am not a structural engineer but worked alongside them in the 1980 and 1990 i large consultancies . I have never heard of any structure being designed for 30 years. 70- 100 years may be.

It sounds inconceivable to me that this was the approach in the 1980s.

A very good point.

And if true, why did nobody scream blue murder when Gove cancelled the New Schools investment programme set in place by Labour ?

Dodgy concrete on 17:27 - Sep 7 with 2090 viewshowenjack

Dodgy concrete on 18:25 - Sep 1 by Wingstandwood

Maybe the builders should have taken a leaf out of the Romans' book . They built very strong self supporting roof structures mixing pumice or volcanic ash probably from Vesuvius or Etna into the concrete mix . If you get the chance visit the Pantheon in Rome . Its the only Roman building in the world to remain in the exact same state as when it was built 2000 years ago. The roof is spectacular and overlooks a solid marble floor .
Dodgy concrete on 20:32 - Sep 7 with 2065 viewsfbreath

I wonder what the difference in cost would have been at the time for this dodgy concrete and normal concrete. I would imagine the labour cost to install would be similar per sq metre.

So how much did this actually save in cost

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Dodgy concrete on 18:19 - Sep 8 with 2003 viewsSullutaCreturned

Dodgy concrete on 20:32 - Sep 7 by fbreath

I wonder what the difference in cost would have been at the time for this dodgy concrete and normal concrete. I would imagine the labour cost to install would be similar per sq metre.

So how much did this actually save in cost

My guess would be nowhere near as much as the cost to fix the problems. Not even if we compared prices back then.

It's completely FUBAR.
Dodgy concrete on 18:46 - Sep 8 with 1996 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Dodgy concrete on 15:59 - Sep 7 by Kilkennyjack

A very good point.

And if true, why did nobody scream blue murder when Gove cancelled the New Schools investment programme set in place by Labour ?

Because everyone knew Labour's New School investment programme was expensive, inefficient and was all smoke and mirrors . Make you wonder why Blair buried the report in 2002 rather rebuild the schools nearly 40 years old by then.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Dodgy concrete on 23:20 - Sep 8 with 1950 viewsmajorraglan

Dodgy concrete on 18:46 - Sep 8 by felixstowe_jack

Because everyone knew Labour's New School investment programme was expensive, inefficient and was all smoke and mirrors . Make you wonder why Blair buried the report in 2002 rather rebuild the schools nearly 40 years old by then.

And just what exactly have the Conservatives done? We are 20 years on so those schools are now 60 years old.

Talking of investment, interesting to note that Network Rail were fined £6.7m for significant breaches of health and safety, maintenance and other issues covering the period May 2011 through to August 2020 where 3 people died and scores were injured. No prizes for guessing which party was in power and government throughout that time. Yes, it’s the same ones who decimated the legal system, policing and a raft of other areas.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024