Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Winning ugly 08:10 - Oct 4 with 1418 viewssaint901

Just caught up with the "highlights".

Some observations.

We're a better side when S Armstrong and Alcaraz start.

We're a better side when the defenders move the ball on quickly and keep it away from our goal.

We're a better side when the players re not under instruction to keep the ball for too long.

That said, the ref was kind to us and Stoke could easily have had a penalty if VAR was in use. (Or not, given how VAR has been recently!).

We're now about half way between the top and the bottom of the table and if we have any ambition, in the next 13 games in the run to Christmas, we need to looking for 8 wins, 2 losses and 3 draws.

Anything less would perhaps put us out of contention for promotion this season and will make the Janaury transfer window interesting.
Winning ugly on 08:55 - Oct 4 with 1319 viewsSonicBoom

Agree with pretty much all of that. I was sceptical about us after Saturday but credit where it's due, any win away particularly midweek is a good one. We rode our luck a bit but who cares. A really good three points.
Winning ugly on 10:28 - Oct 4 with 1209 viewscocklebreath

Really impressed with the 2 centre backs and KWP they were excellent, manning on the other hand was awful, just seems so slow on the ball and his passing is way off and he never seems to be in the right position.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Winning ugly on 10:54 - Oct 4 with 1195 viewswibbersda

Winning ugly on 10:28 - Oct 4 by cocklebreath

Really impressed with the 2 centre backs and KWP they were excellent, manning on the other hand was awful, just seems so slow on the ball and his passing is way off and he never seems to be in the right position.

Looking at Stokes attacking % stats, they blitzed the right wing. It would appear therefore, that teams see going through Manning as their best option for goals. I suspect all teams will do this. Jan did well to support him and snuff out his errors, but think where would we be now if we still had Perraud?
Winning ugly on 11:22 - Oct 4 with 1178 viewsBerber

Winning ugly on 10:54 - Oct 4 by wibbersda

Looking at Stokes attacking % stats, they blitzed the right wing. It would appear therefore, that teams see going through Manning as their best option for goals. I suspect all teams will do this. Jan did well to support him and snuff out his errors, but think where would we be now if we still had Perraud?

I am offended every time Manning is mentioned.
Winning ugly on 11:23 - Oct 4 with 1169 viewssaint22

Winning ugly on 11:22 - Oct 4 by Berber

I am offended every time Manning is mentioned.

Unfortunately we let our better LB leave
Winning ugly on 11:39 - Oct 4 with 1164 viewsSaintNick

Winning ugly on 11:23 - Oct 4 by saint22

Unfortunately we let our better LB leave

Watching the game live I thought Manning dug in and although yes he was a bit slow, in the main he dug in and made sure that he didn't make too many mistakes.

Perhaps the way forward might be KWP at left back and Holgate at right back, people hark on about Perraud, but he wasn't even the best left back at the club last season, if Juan Larios could shake off his injuries, last season he might well have been a regular and he could have a part to play this season

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Winning ugly on 12:09 - Oct 4 with 1124 viewscocklebreath

Winning ugly on 11:39 - Oct 4 by SaintNick

Watching the game live I thought Manning dug in and although yes he was a bit slow, in the main he dug in and made sure that he didn't make too many mistakes.

Perhaps the way forward might be KWP at left back and Holgate at right back, people hark on about Perraud, but he wasn't even the best left back at the club last season, if Juan Larios could shake off his injuries, last season he might well have been a regular and he could have a part to play this season

Any idea when Larios might be fit?

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Winning ugly on 12:34 - Oct 4 with 1106 views1885_SFC

Winning ugly on 12:09 - Oct 4 by cocklebreath

Any idea when Larios might be fit?

That question is one of life's great mysteries. Probably a fortnight before his Saints contract runs out.

Old School is Cool

Login to get fewer ads

Winning ugly on 13:25 - Oct 4 with 1062 viewsGRIM

Winning ugly on 11:39 - Oct 4 by SaintNick

Nick how can you say that Larios is a better left back than Perraud.
We've only seen a few minutes of Larios there's no way we (or you) can judge him or compare him to Perraud ( or to Manning).
Perraud was decent for us & we miss him.
Winning ugly on 17:13 - Oct 4 with 947 viewsSouthSeaSaint

Winning ugly on 13:25 - Oct 4 by GRIM

Nick how can you say that Larios is a better left back than Perraud.
We've only seen a few minutes of Larios there's no way we (or you) can judge him or compare him to Perraud ( or to Manning).
Perraud was decent for us & we miss him.

Re Manning.
I think he is only an average player and Peraud would have been a better shout.

That said Manning was left exposed on many occasion when the Stoke right back got forward and Manning was left with two players to mark as Sulemana was just ambling back.

I guess any Manager would have a problem with Sulemana.

A real threat going forward but somewhat of a liability against the ball.

This is the modern game and I wonder how wingers like John Sydenham would have coped as speedy players in his day wouldn't venture much into his own half and often have a chat with the opposing right back who was marking him!!
Winning ugly on 19:19 - Oct 4 with 885 viewsGRIM

Winning ugly on 17:13 - Oct 4 by SouthSeaSaint

Re Manning.
I think he is only an average player and Peraud would have been a better shout.

That said Manning was left exposed on many occasion when the Stoke right back got forward and Manning was left with two players to mark as Sulemana was just ambling back.

I guess any Manager would have a problem with Sulemana.

A real threat going forward but somewhat of a liability against the ball.

This is the modern game and I wonder how wingers like John Sydenham would have coped as speedy players in his day wouldn't venture much into his own half and often have a chat with the opposing right back who was marking him!!

I played with John Sydenham & he only had one gear & that was fast forward.
He was very, very effective in his day but the modern game requires more versatility.
Defending was alien to him & Terry Paine they left that to to Big boys at the back.
Funny old game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024