Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 14:49 - Jan 1 with 69408 viewsKeithHaynes

First speculation from our Trystan on Twitter.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 14:34 - Feb 1 with 3155 viewsSTID2017

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 13:11 - Feb 1 by ReslovenSwan1

I may be unfair but Cullen in the past does not put his head in where it hurts like Ayew or Llorente did.

He has scored headed goals but the sort of soft bobble up ball needing a finish not a fast whipped in cross Bidwell used to whip in.

He has toughened up of late so maybe that is something he is working on. I love a bullet header.

I find the use of the term bullet offensive as it conjures up images of people being shot.
For those who have served in the armed forces it may conjure up bad memories
For me it conjures up the memory of Rhys from Llansamlet, a young lad accidently shot by his friend when they happened upon a loaded gun in the shed.
Perhaps you could choose your words more carefully in future ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 15:14 - Feb 1 with 3049 viewsAnotherJohn

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 14:34 - Feb 1 by STID2017

I find the use of the term bullet offensive as it conjures up images of people being shot.
For me it conjures up the memory of Rhys from Llansamlet, a young lad accidently shot by his friend when they happened upon a loaded gun in the shed.

Very sad indeed and I'm sorry if bad memories came back. However, air weapons of the kind involved in that tragedy do not fire bullets, but rather pellets. As I recall, the two boys loaded and fired the air rifle at a target, before the fatal accident happened through careless handling at close quarters. The term "bullet header" has been in use for donkey's years, and if we try to cancel phrases like that we just stir up conflict within our language community. We would not be able to talk of two teams "slugging it out" or managers "gunning" for each other. Indeed even the language of "firing in a shot", or the notion of "shooting" as opposed to crossing, seems to fail your test.
[Post edited 1 Feb 15:19]
πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 15:18 - Feb 1 with 3034 viewsBoundy

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 15:14 - Feb 1 by AnotherJohn

Very sad indeed and I'm sorry if bad memories came back. However, air weapons of the kind involved in that tragedy do not fire bullets, but rather pellets. As I recall, the two boys loaded and fired the air rifle at a target, before the fatal accident happened through careless handling at close quarters. The term "bullet header" has been in use for donkey's years, and if we try to cancel phrases like that we just stir up conflict within our language community. We would not be able to talk of two teams "slugging it out" or managers "gunning" for each other. Indeed even the language of "firing in a shot", or the notion of "shooting" as opposed to crossing, seems to fail your test.
[Post edited 1 Feb 15:19]

The military term is a round not a bullet., regarding the air rifle incident the family have had to live with the consequences of that day ever since, my grandson was a very close friend of the child killed .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the peopleβ€”not the master."

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 15:28 - Feb 1 with 2991 viewsswan_si

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 14:34 - Feb 1 by STID2017

Can we not say things like ' great shot on goal or he went down as if he'd benn shot by a snipers? You took that completely out of context, but I think you knew that.πŸ€”
πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 15:33 - Feb 1 with 2973 viewsswan_si

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/swansea-city-complete-loan-move-charles-sagoe-j
πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 15:47 - Feb 1 with 2893 viewsSTID2017

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 15:28 - Feb 1 by swan_si

Can we not say things like ' great shot on goal or he went down as if he'd benn shot by a snipers? You took that completely out of context, but I think you knew that.πŸ€”

I hate guns and anything to do with them.
I worked with his mother for several years and have chatted to her a few times in Rhys Candles in Llansamlet.
I consider her a friend
I had not heard the term bullet used in a football context and it is genuinely a provocative word for me.
Yes, it was ironic that the poster who used the term is sensitive about other matters, which I do not agree with him upon, however I would have reacted the same had aby other poster said it

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 15:56 - Feb 1 with 2831 viewsswan_si

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 15:47 - Feb 1 by STID2017

I worked with his mother for several years and have chatted to her a few times in Rhys Candles in Llansamlet.
I consider her a friend
I had not heard the term bullet used in a football context and it is genuinely a provocative word for me.
Yes, it was ironic that the poster who used the term is sensitive about other matters, which I do not agree with him upon, however I would have reacted the same had aby other poster said it

That's fair enough mate, but if you Google 'bullet header you'll see it's often used to describe a powerful header or strike.
πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 16:05 - Feb 1 with 2773 viewsKeithHaynes

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 15:47 - Feb 1 by STID2017

I consider her a friend

Bullet header, surely you have ?

Login to get fewer ads

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 16:24 - Feb 1 with 2707 viewsJohnw102

Conner Roberts going to Leeds, how many Swans do they want?

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 16:39 - Feb 1 with 2622 viewsTreforys_Jack

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 16:24 - Feb 1 by Johnw102

Conner Roberts going to Leeds, how many Swans do they want?

Perhaps it'll make it easier to like them................Nah
πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 17:15 - Feb 1 with 2489 viewsAnotherJohn

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 16:39 - Feb 1 by Treforys_Jack

Perhaps it'll make it easier to like them................Nah

Makes you wonder where we could have been with owners who were prepared to invest after our relegation. Still Leeds have a bit to do to get a promotion place.
πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 17:47 - Feb 1 with 2366 viewspete

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 17:15 - Feb 1 by AnotherJohn

Makes you wonder where we could have been with owners who were prepared to invest after our relegation. Still Leeds have a bit to do to get a promotion place.

wales on line saying after the guy from Norwich who is having a medical unlikely any others to come in, pity as we need a striker and could do with a quality midfield player
πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 18:21 - Feb 1 with 2204 viewsPawelAbbott

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 17:47 - Feb 1 by pete

wales on line saying after the guy from Norwich who is having a medical unlikely any others to come in, pity as we need a striker and could do with a quality midfield player

So we have signed 3 Wingers, no strikers and no one to get the ball to the Wingers.
Sounds like it will be 4-5-1 with Yates or Cullen up front
πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 18:35 - Feb 1 with 2136 viewsdobjack2

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 18:21 - Feb 1 by PawelAbbott

So we have signed 3 Wingers, no strikers and no one to get the ball to the Wingers.
Sounds like it will be 4-5-1 with Yates or Cullen up front

Only problem with that formation is that the lone central striker needs to be able to hold the ball up to bring others into the game. I don't think that role suits either Yates or Cullen.
πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 19:10 - Feb 1 with 2009 viewsDr_Winston

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 18:35 - Feb 1 by dobjack2

Only problem with that formation is that the lone central striker needs to be able to hold the ball up to bring others into the game. I don't think that role suits either Yates or Cullen.

Not really.

If the passing and movement is quick enough you don't need anyone to hold the ball up. If the wide players are regularly getting in behind defences then all your forward has to do is make the runs.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 19:29 - Feb 1 with 1909 viewsdobjack2

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 19:10 - Feb 1 by Dr_Winston

Not really.

If the passing and movement is quick enough you don't need anyone to hold the ball up. If the wide players are regularly getting in behind defences then all your forward has to do is make the runs.

I don't see how that would work in practice but it's a different take. We may end up going 3-5-2 or even 4-3-3 so all speculation at the moment.

Once the dust settles after this window, it will be interesting to see how we line up and play. signing three wingers suggests that there will be significant changes.
πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 19:46 - Feb 1 with 1832 viewsDr_Winston

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 19:29 - Feb 1 by dobjack2

I don't see how that would work in practice but it's a different take. We may end up going 3-5-2 or even 4-3-3 so all speculation at the moment.

Once the dust settles after this window, it will be interesting to see how we line up and play. signing three wingers suggests that there will be significant changes.

In the legendary WBA game we played a 4-5-1/4-3-3 variant and none of the players we had upfront that night could hold the ball up. An extreme example perhaps but one that illustrates that it's not all about knocking it to a forward and then rushing to catch up.

It is immensely encouraging that after four years of watching almost any player with a bit of width, pace or flair being sidelined, ignored and in some cases scapegoated by management we're finally looking to add actual wide players to the squad.

Of course, it'll count for little if LW insists on Kamikaze defensive strategies but we can but hope that eventually he'll get that out of his system.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 19:49 - Feb 1 with 1800 viewsWhiterockin

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 19:29 - Feb 1 by dobjack2

We could always play with a false number 9. Interchangeable attacking players with no defined role.
πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 19:51 - Feb 1 with 1780 viewsLuther27

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 19:46 - Feb 1 by Dr_Winston

In the legendary WBA game we played a 4-5-1/4-3-3 variant and none of the players we had upfront that night could hold the ball up. An extreme example perhaps but one that illustrates that it's not all about knocking it to a forward and then rushing to catch up.

It is immensely encouraging that after four years of watching almost any player with a bit of width, pace or flair being sidelined, ignored and in some cases scapegoated by management we're finally looking to add actual wide players to the squad.

Of course, it'll count for little if LW insists on Kamikaze defensive strategies but we can but hope that eventually he'll get that out of his system.

I still dream of that game. But yes…using wingers with confidence and pace would maybe get a tune out of Yates. You never know until you try.

Blog: Grenfell Tower

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 20:30 - Feb 1 with 1613 viewsdobjack2

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 19:49 - Feb 1 by Whiterockin

We could always play with a false number 9. Interchangeable attacking players with no defined role.

As long as we have the players to play like that
πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 20:37 - Feb 1 with 1567 viewsdobjack2

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 19:46 - Feb 1 by Dr_Winston

I don't think that we have the players to play a system like the WBA game but agree with you about wide players.
πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 22:08 - Feb 1 with 1218 viewsKeithHaynes

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 22:20 - Feb 1 with 1129 viewsmax936

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 22:08 - Feb 1 by KeithHaynes

Sounds like a last minute panic attempt to get the midfielder we need in .

Thought they had targets lined up and ready, except the two that didn't want to come which nobody can be at fault for,

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 22:22 - Feb 1 with 1107 viewsKeithHaynes

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 22:20 - Feb 1 by max936

Sounds like a last minute panic attempt to get the midfielder we need in .

Thought they had targets lined up and ready, except the two that didn't want to come which nobody can be at fault for,

Nah, this took months to plan πŸ˜‰

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 22:26 - Feb 1 with 1059 viewsWhiterockin

πŸ”΄ January Transfer Window 2024 on 22:22 - Feb 1 by KeithHaynes

Nah, this took months to plan πŸ˜‰

Looks like a very foolish statement now. Hopefully they realise they are out of their depth and get professionals in to run the club ASAP.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024