Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well 10:47 - Jan 2 with 1392 viewsSaintNick

Only around 2,400 left for the game which isnt bad given a week and a half to go

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 10:56 - Jan 2 with 1371 viewsPatfromPoole

The first game for 10-match season tickets, which I suspect have sold rather well….

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 11:12 - Jan 2 with 1348 viewsSaintNick

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 10:56 - Jan 2 by PatfromPoole

The first game for 10-match season tickets, which I suspect have sold rather well….

Lets hope so, now is the time for the fans to fill the couple of thousand empty seats and roar the team to promotion

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 11:17 - Jan 2 with 1345 viewsPatfromPoole

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 11:12 - Jan 2 by SaintNick

Lets hope so, now is the time for the fans to fill the couple of thousand empty seats and roar the team to promotion

I don’t think that the problem is the support at home.

The away support hasn’t been good at all since Millwall.
[Post edited 2 Jan 11:19]

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 11:31 - Jan 2 with 1320 viewsBuggalugs

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 11:17 - Jan 2 by PatfromPoole

I don’t think that the problem is the support at home.

The away support hasn’t been good at all since Millwall.
[Post edited 2 Jan 11:19]

Yesterday was definitely the worst this season away from home in terms of noise. Apart from the obligatory EI EI EI O after we scored, it was completely dead and thoroughly depressing throughout.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 11:37 - Jan 2 with 1313 viewsPatfromPoole

I just don't know how we improve it.

A lot of the fanbase are "sing when we're winning" types, and think that it is completely down to the team to get them interested in being vocally supportive, rather than the other way round.

It's not just a class or gender thing. I looked around our away end at Coventry, which had about 3,000 there, and there were plenty of people there who you thought might make a racket, but just weren't interested.

I would rather have just 1,000 there, but all making a noise.

Plymouth fans showed us up on Friday big time.

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 11:48 - Jan 2 with 1300 viewsSaintNick

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 11:37 - Jan 2 by PatfromPoole

I just don't know how we improve it.

A lot of the fanbase are "sing when we're winning" types, and think that it is completely down to the team to get them interested in being vocally supportive, rather than the other way round.

It's not just a class or gender thing. I looked around our away end at Coventry, which had about 3,000 there, and there were plenty of people there who you thought might make a racket, but just weren't interested.

I would rather have just 1,000 there, but all making a noise.

Plymouth fans showed us up on Friday big time.

I agree with you there, i never thought i would say it but the goal celebration music seems to help people get out of their seats and make some noise perhaps it will stir them to do it more often

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 11:53 - Jan 2 with 1297 viewsPatfromPoole

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 11:48 - Jan 2 by SaintNick

I agree with you there, i never thought i would say it but the goal celebration music seems to help people get out of their seats and make some noise perhaps it will stir them to do it more often

Our away support tends to think that singing at train stations, pubs and concourses is all they need to do.

With the standard singing about libraries, of course.

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 12:16 - Jan 2 with 1268 viewsWints76

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 11:53 - Jan 2 by PatfromPoole

Our away support tends to think that singing at train stations, pubs and concourses is all they need to do.

With the standard singing about libraries, of course.

There were 6 songs about libraries by 25 minutes yesterday. Then songs about Pompey. Other fans are taking the piss. It is all a performance by people videoing themselves. There's no fun or spontaneity
Login to get fewer ads

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 12:47 - Jan 2 with 1235 viewssaint901

Play exciting football, take some chances, create some expectation/jeopardy and people who are stirred will be more inclined to voice that feeling.

Play boring football with little in the way of moments of genuine passion or commitment and the crown will react in that way.

We know that if the SW game sees the crowd on all sides of the ground signing new and original and slightly amusing songs bereft of four letter language (which any reasonable adult over 25 and relatively sober would not use in public) for 90+ minutes, the team will still be a possession based passing outfit with few moments of action stirring enough to create excitement.
Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 12:48 - Jan 2 with 1232 viewsPatfromPoole

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 12:47 - Jan 2 by saint901

Play exciting football, take some chances, create some expectation/jeopardy and people who are stirred will be more inclined to voice that feeling.

Play boring football with little in the way of moments of genuine passion or commitment and the crown will react in that way.

We know that if the SW game sees the crowd on all sides of the ground signing new and original and slightly amusing songs bereft of four letter language (which any reasonable adult over 25 and relatively sober would not use in public) for 90+ minutes, the team will still be a possession based passing outfit with few moments of action stirring enough to create excitement.

Why do fans of Italian sides such as Napoli make such a racket?

Their football isn’t exactly thrill a minute.

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 14:01 - Jan 2 with 1187 viewsMytchettSaint

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 11:31 - Jan 2 by Buggalugs

Yesterday was definitely the worst this season away from home in terms of noise. Apart from the obligatory EI EI EI O after we scored, it was completely dead and thoroughly depressing throughout.

I have always thought crowds on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day are always a bit subdued.

I am struggling to recall a game on either of those days where support was worthy of note.

We played spurs in 02/03 on NYD then again a few days later in the cup. The contrast between both games (which we won) was like chalk and cheese.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 14:21 - Jan 2 with 1169 viewssaint901

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 12:48 - Jan 2 by PatfromPoole

I think it's because they have a southern European culture which is more demonstrative and "public" than us dour northern Europeans are comfortable with.

It's not only football that Italian crowds get excited for. Their rugby team is regularly beaten but their fans continue making noise. Same as the F1 and horse racing and other sports.

It may also be because Serie A has fewer big clubs to share the trophies around meaning that some of the smaller clubs are in with a chance?

Finally, why compare us with Italian support anyway?

Surely a better comparison is with a Championship side or another club in a middle sized city?

The PL clubs are plagued with tourists filling the seats at hyped prices which keeps the accountants happy but sees half the crowd taking selfies and ignoring the match. Would that be a better comparator?
Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 14:28 - Jan 2 with 1165 viewsPatfromPoole

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 14:21 - Jan 2 by saint901

I think it's because they have a southern European culture which is more demonstrative and "public" than us dour northern Europeans are comfortable with.

It's not only football that Italian crowds get excited for. Their rugby team is regularly beaten but their fans continue making noise. Same as the F1 and horse racing and other sports.

It may also be because Serie A has fewer big clubs to share the trophies around meaning that some of the smaller clubs are in with a chance?

Finally, why compare us with Italian support anyway?

Surely a better comparison is with a Championship side or another club in a middle sized city?

The PL clubs are plagued with tourists filling the seats at hyped prices which keeps the accountants happy but sees half the crowd taking selfies and ignoring the match. Would that be a better comparator?

I was comparing our support with Italian fans as our football is unfortunately often as dull as Italian football can tend to be.

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 15:06 - Jan 2 with 1127 viewsdirk_doone

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 12:48 - Jan 2 by PatfromPoole

That's because Napoli have just won the league. But, as they are doing nowhere near as well this season, their fans are beginning to turn against them with jeers and insults. However, at all Italian stadiums there is a group of ultras behind the goal who will sing for 90 minutes regardless of how their team is doing. Some of them turn their backs on the game completely so it doesn't matter to them. It's all about the rep of their ultra group.

"To ensure harmony with the ultras, many owners provide free tickets to leading ultras to ensure that the stadiums have the necessary environment. Some owners offer subsidised fees for their ultras. On their part, ultras provide banners, ticker-tapes, and their undying support."

https://hooliganfc.com/italian-ultras/#:~:text=Other%20Ultras%20that%20formed%20

It's not going to happen here. Our fans have a small family club mentality. You can't even get the most vocal ones to stand behind the goal and sing; they hide away in the corners, where no one even notices them. In Italy, the corner is where they stick the away fans, for that very reason.
[Post edited 2 Jan 15:34]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 17:05 - Jan 2 with 1009 viewsIanSouthstander

Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 11:31 - Jan 2 by Buggalugs

What i noticed yesterday was the back of the stand singing one song and the guys down the front singing another at the same time.

At least we weren't as bad as the home fans. It really was like playing in a library.
Sheffield Wednesday Tickets Going Well on 10:54 - Jan 3 with 887 viewsstmichael

Comical at Norwich when roughly twenty of our fans sang football
In a library to the Norwich fans..
I’ve just posted about our away support on another thread.
It’s fcuking woeful.
I’d rather buy a ticket in the home end and watch in silence than suffer some of the mongs we have who just want to chant continuously about John Westwood…

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024