Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On This Day 1989 12:33 - Jan 2 with 1538 viewsSaintNick

I was in a minibus on the way to Luton for a 6-1 defeat, I cant believe that is was 35 years ago

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

On This Day 1989 on 12:52 - Jan 2 with 1499 viewsPatfromPoole

One of Clive’s “hooligan coaches”, yes?

Weren’t away fans banned there?

Did you go in your finest Luton resident disguise? Or did you just hire an executive box 😉

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

On This Day 1989 on 13:07 - Jan 2 with 1466 views1ASIN12

The away fans ban was always easy to get round and there was always a few Saints fans dotted around.

From memory a member could get 4 tickets , my mate had a membership so we went every year.

From memory I was stood on the terrace behind the goal ( which was newly covered ) for this game.

Luton fans at the time were quite tolerant of away fans getting in, I think many didn’t agree with it.
On This Day 1989 on 15:39 - Jan 2 with 1373 viewssaintmark1976

Was that the game with Shilton between the sticks ?
On This Day 1989 on 15:41 - Jan 2 with 1367 viewsSalisburySaint

Loads of Saints fans with Home Counties or London addresses found it easy to get tickets

I got 4 tickets each game via a Newcastle supporter who lived in Dunstable, he used to send his membership around to various away fans groups he knew
On This Day 1989 on 16:26 - Jan 2 with 1332 viewsSaintNick

On This Day 1989 on 13:07 - Jan 2 by 1ASIN12

The away fans ban was always easy to get round and there was always a few Saints fans dotted around.

From memory a member could get 4 tickets , my mate had a membership so we went every year.

From memory I was stood on the terrace behind the goal ( which was newly covered ) for this game.

Luton fans at the time were quite tolerant of away fans getting in, I think many didn’t agree with it.

My memory seems to be a bit clouded on this one as I definitely went to this game, but I can't remember going in the home sections, I seem to remember going in the away section, but there was a ban on because the following season I did go to a game there with tickets from Barry Horne and sat in the main stand corner so the ban was in force 1989

On This Day 1989 on 16:42 - Jan 2 with 1311 viewskernow

Did they play on a plastic pitch?
On This Day 1989 on 19:24 - Jan 2 with 1226 views1ASIN12

On This Day 1989 on 16:26 - Jan 2 by SaintNick

My memory seems to be a bit clouded on this one as I definitely went to this game, but I can't remember going in the home sections, I seem to remember going in the away section, but there was a ban on because the following season I did go to a game there with tickets from Barry Horne and sat in the main stand corner so the ban was in force 1989

You are not getting the games mixed up? Didn’t we get dicked there 6 or 7 in the mid 80’s when there wasn’t a ban?

My dad took me and we sat in the main stand with the Saints fans on the then open terrace in one of the “pens” .
On This Day 1989 on 20:10 - Jan 2 with 1203 viewsLondonSaint76

On This Day 1989 on 19:24 - Jan 2 by 1ASIN12

You are not getting the games mixed up? Didn’t we get dicked there 6 or 7 in the mid 80’s when there wasn’t a ban?

My dad took me and we sat in the main stand with the Saints fans on the then open terrace in one of the “pens” .

We got tanked there 7-0 in 85/86 (Oct 85) with Shilton in goal - always remember a misprint in one of the papers reporting on the game describing our esteemed keeper as Peter Shitlon!
Nick’s memory was correct, the game 35 years ago today was 6-1 to Luton, Budgie in goal and Rod Wallace got our solitary goal. We did redeem ourselves to a certain degree in our last 80’s meeting against Luton at The Dell winning 6-3 on 25/11/89 with goals from Shearer, Le Tiss, Rod Wallace (2) & Rideout (2) - just imagine getting players the quality of those 4 in during the January transfer window…

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Login to get fewer ads

On This Day 1989 on 03:13 - Jan 3 with 1073 viewsTimSaint

On This Day 1989 on 20:10 - Jan 2 by LondonSaint76

We got tanked there 7-0 in 85/86 (Oct 85) with Shilton in goal - always remember a misprint in one of the papers reporting on the game describing our esteemed keeper as Peter Shitlon!
Nick’s memory was correct, the game 35 years ago today was 6-1 to Luton, Budgie in goal and Rod Wallace got our solitary goal. We did redeem ourselves to a certain degree in our last 80’s meeting against Luton at The Dell winning 6-3 on 25/11/89 with goals from Shearer, Le Tiss, Rod Wallace (2) & Rideout (2) - just imagine getting players the quality of those 4 in during the January transfer window…

Went to that 7-0 defeat in '85 - which was on the astro and was Glen Cockerill's debut.

I didn't go to that 6-1 defeat in '89 that Nick mentions, but I did go when we played them 16 days later in the League Cup. Away fans were allowed to the cup games and we drew 1-1, courtesy of a lovely Cockerill strike from distance. (we fvcked the replay up at the Dell, losing 2-1). I remember 1 Saints fan standing on a crowd control barrier and just letting himself fall back into the crowd, thinking they would catch him - they didn't !! Loads of trouble kicking off on the way back to the station as well.

I went to the 4-3 win there in 90-91 season - a mate managed to get 10 tickets from a couple of Luton fans he knew and we all sat together in the front row of the upper tier, right above the tunnel. The players couldn't believe it as 10 of us clapped them off the (astro) pitch. Le Tiss and Rod Wallace scored 2 each that day I think.

I also went to the FA Cup there in the 94-95 season. Ships scored for us in a 1-1 draw and we did the biz in the replay at the Dell, winning 6-0. Le Tiss definitely scored a pen and I think Magilton and possibly Heaney were also on the score sheet.

TimSaint

On This Day 1989 on 07:49 - Jan 3 with 1028 viewsSalisburySaint

On This Day 1989 on 03:13 - Jan 3 by TimSaint

Went to that 7-0 defeat in '85 - which was on the astro and was Glen Cockerill's debut.

I didn't go to that 6-1 defeat in '89 that Nick mentions, but I did go when we played them 16 days later in the League Cup. Away fans were allowed to the cup games and we drew 1-1, courtesy of a lovely Cockerill strike from distance. (we fvcked the replay up at the Dell, losing 2-1). I remember 1 Saints fan standing on a crowd control barrier and just letting himself fall back into the crowd, thinking they would catch him - they didn't !! Loads of trouble kicking off on the way back to the station as well.

I went to the 4-3 win there in 90-91 season - a mate managed to get 10 tickets from a couple of Luton fans he knew and we all sat together in the front row of the upper tier, right above the tunnel. The players couldn't believe it as 10 of us clapped them off the (astro) pitch. Le Tiss and Rod Wallace scored 2 each that day I think.

I also went to the FA Cup there in the 94-95 season. Ships scored for us in a 1-1 draw and we did the biz in the replay at the Dell, winning 6-0. Le Tiss definitely scored a pen and I think Magilton and possibly Heaney were also on the score sheet.

Only decent performance we had up there during that period with their plastic pitch was a 4-3 win in 1991, with 2 goals each for Matt Le Tissier and Rod Wallace

I’m one of the Saints fans you can see celebrating behind the goal for second half saints goals

On This Day 1989 on 09:41 - Jan 3 with 959 viewsSaintNick

On This Day 1989 on 07:49 - Jan 3 by SalisburySaint

Only decent performance we had up there during that period with their plastic pitch was a 4-3 win in 1991, with 2 goals each for Matt Le Tissier and Rod Wallace

I’m one of the Saints fans you can see celebrating behind the goal for second half saints goals

That is the game that I can remember going to that was behind closed doors

On This Day 1989 on 10:04 - Jan 3 with 951 viewsChesham_Saint

On This Day 1989 on 19:24 - Jan 2 by 1ASIN12

Yes you’re right. I was there too and there were quite a few Saints on that open terrace. Almost every shot Luton had went in. That plastic pitch was awful - worse than QPR’s (and I played on both). I think it may even have been Shilton’s debut?

As for getting around the (later?) ban - that was easy. I had a localish address and just joined their supporters club. This involved signing a declaration that I was a “Luton supporter”. My logic was that I was certainly a football support and Luton was a football club and ergo, I was therefore a supporter of LTFC..!

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

On This Day 1989 on 10:23 - Jan 3 with 919 viewsSaintNick

On This Day 1989 on 10:04 - Jan 3 by Chesham_Saint

Yes you’re right. I was there too and there were quite a few Saints on that open terrace. Almost every shot Luton had went in. That plastic pitch was awful - worse than QPR’s (and I played on both). I think it may even have been Shilton’s debut?

As for getting around the (later?) ban - that was easy. I had a localish address and just joined their supporters club. This involved signing a declaration that I was a “Luton supporter”. My logic was that I was certainly a football support and Luton was a football club and ergo, I was therefore a supporter of LTFC..!

Shilton's debut was in a 1-0 defeat at Coventry in August 1982, his early games werent great, his second game a 4-1 home defeat to Watford, followed shortly afterwards by a 6-0 at Spurs and a 5-0 at Liverpool, I had the displeasure to be at all those games.

Luton away that season was a 3-3 draw, I think it was played in heavy fog and on Match of the day

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024