Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FA Cup 4th Round Memories 28th January 1984 Fratton Park 11:00 - Jan 24 with 1333 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/61778/fa-cup-4th-round-m

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
FA Cup 4th Round Memories 28th January 1984 Fratton Park on 11:47 - Jan 24 with 1282 viewskingslandstand1

And what a day that was, such an atmosphere and as Nick has said, 2nd only to '76
FA Cup 4th Round Memories 28th January 1984 Fratton Park on 12:15 - Jan 24 with 1241 viewsWints76

I wasn't allowed to go as my old man didn't want me in his way and I was visiting my mum in hospital when Moran scored, with the promise that I was allowed to go if there was a replay.

Which has always made me wonder 'what if?'. We'd have probably won the game by 4 or 5, but it would have been quite a night at The Dell with 5000 (?) Skates in attendance.
FA Cup 4th Round Memories 28th January 1984 Fratton Park on 14:01 - Jan 24 with 1150 viewsSaintNick

FA Cup 4th Round Memories 28th January 1984 Fratton Park on 12:15 - Jan 24 by Wints76

I wasn't allowed to go as my old man didn't want me in his way and I was visiting my mum in hospital when Moran scored, with the promise that I was allowed to go if there was a replay.

Which has always made me wonder 'what if?'. We'd have probably won the game by 4 or 5, but it would have been quite a night at The Dell with 5000 (?) Skates in attendance.

They werent called Skates back then, that name only took hold after a competition in the paper version of The Ugly Inside to find a suitable nickname for our rivals

Skates was the winner as the entrant suggested that this would particularly get up their noses as it was the derogatory nickname in naval towns for sailors and he was dead right although in the last 20 years or so they have come to embrace it

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

FA Cup 4th Round Memories 28th January 1984 Fratton Park on 14:05 - Jan 24 with 1147 viewsfranniesTache

FA Cup 4th Round Memories 28th January 1984 Fratton Park on 14:01 - Jan 24 by SaintNick

They werent called Skates back then, that name only took hold after a competition in the paper version of The Ugly Inside to find a suitable nickname for our rivals

Skates was the winner as the entrant suggested that this would particularly get up their noses as it was the derogatory nickname in naval towns for sailors and he was dead right although in the last 20 years or so they have come to embrace it

Always loved the fact that you chose that, wasn't it a response to their fanzine making up the dock strike story?

I definitely remember for the cup game in 96 people selling t-shirts about beating the scummers and scum buster t-shirts, with the scummers in question being the blue few.
FA Cup 4th Round Memories 28th January 1984 Fratton Park on 14:22 - Jan 24 with 1136 views1885_SFC

FA Cup 4th Round Memories 28th January 1984 Fratton Park on 11:47 - Jan 24 by kingslandstand1

And what a day that was, such an atmosphere and as Nick has said, 2nd only to '76

Indeed. A day I shall always remember - as much for the result as the atmosphere.

Old School is Cool

FA Cup 4th Round Memories 28th January 1984 Fratton Park on 22:41 - Jan 24 with 908 viewsInTimeAddedOn

Great memories of a brilliant day - cannot believe it was 40 years ago though.

In those days you rarely got proper time added on for anything and Mark Dennis was not the type of player to feign an injury so when he was hit by that coin it must have really hurt, as Nick has said one stupid skate cost his team a replay.

As their morons went on a post-match rampage I remember they attacked a local radio station's mobile unit (small van I think) because it was being broadcast from at the time!

Just to jog your memory here it is one more time

FA Cup 4th Round Memories 28th January 1984 Fratton Park on 14:32 - Jan 25 with 746 viewsdirk_doone

FA Cup 4th Round Memories 28th January 1984 Fratton Park on 14:05 - Jan 24 by franniesTache

Always loved the fact that you chose that, wasn't it a response to their fanzine making up the dock strike story?

I definitely remember for the cup game in 96 people selling t-shirts about beating the scummers and scum buster t-shirts, with the scummers in question being the blue few.

According to the Oxford Dictionary, the first written record of scummer dates back to 1585. It referred to one who scours the sea, a rover or a pirate. For many years it was a nickname for pirates or buccaneers

The fictitious dock strike story first appeared as a comic spoof in the 1990s, in the Pompey fanzine, Frattonize, in which the Southampton Corporation Union Men (SCUM) broke a strike by the Portsmouth Fish Corporation (PFC). This has now passed into Pompey fans' legendary repertoire as a fact, with the 'facts' slightly altered as they didn't like the Fish bit. Colin Farmery even managed to get it into the Guardian before one of our derby games so that added weight to the story.

A real fact that Pompey fans don't like is the true origin of their nickname, so they have also invented fictitious heroic tales about that such as brave soldiers from Portsmouth climbing Pompey's Pillar in Egypt, when It was in fact just an abbreviation of the colours of the original PFC, which were Pompadour Pink.

Another fact that Pompey fans don't like is Dougal's mob of Saints' fans standing in the middle of the Fratton End in 1966, when we won 5-2. I know because I was there.
[Post edited 25 Jan 14:43]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

FA Cup 4th Round Memories 28th January 1984 Fratton Park on 15:41 - Jan 25 with 669 viewsfranniesTache

FA Cup 4th Round Memories 28th January 1984 Fratton Park on 14:32 - Jan 25 by dirk_doone

According to the Oxford Dictionary, the first written record of scummer dates back to 1585. It referred to one who scours the sea, a rover or a pirate. For many years it was a nickname for pirates or buccaneers

The fictitious dock strike story first appeared as a comic spoof in the 1990s, in the Pompey fanzine, Frattonize, in which the Southampton Corporation Union Men (SCUM) broke a strike by the Portsmouth Fish Corporation (PFC). This has now passed into Pompey fans' legendary repertoire as a fact, with the 'facts' slightly altered as they didn't like the Fish bit. Colin Farmery even managed to get it into the Guardian before one of our derby games so that added weight to the story.

A real fact that Pompey fans don't like is the true origin of their nickname, so they have also invented fictitious heroic tales about that such as brave soldiers from Portsmouth climbing Pompey's Pillar in Egypt, when It was in fact just an abbreviation of the colours of the original PFC, which were Pompadour Pink.

Another fact that Pompey fans don't like is Dougal's mob of Saints' fans standing in the middle of the Fratton End in 1966, when we won 5-2. I know because I was there.
[Post edited 25 Jan 14:43]

Yup plus they really don't hate it if you point out the truth that the only known dock strikes that were scabbed were by them, the biggest being the 1890 that was broken by blacklegs from Pompey, and more recently the cross channel ferry ones in the 80's that was broken by them taking in ships (due to them being a naval port and not unionised).

Mind you they've never liked facts have they? Dumb walter mitty c*nts that they are
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024