Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England V Serbia 08:49 - Jun 17 with 567 viewsSaintNick

Still not sure about the make up of the England team, they got the job done, but a bit like Saints sometimes, their first half performance was far better than the second half but they got the job done.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

England V Serbia on 09:11 - Jun 17 with 538 viewsSonicBoom

Not a bad result. In tournaments it's just about winning and we did. If we progress no one will remember these early games. Might even be a good thing that expectations are tempered by our own fans and media and by the other teams.
Of course we need to play better against better sides, but each game and opposition will be different. The Serbs were awkward but we got the points. There'd be even more of a meltdown had we lost !
England V Serbia on 09:39 - Jun 17 with 516 viewssolent_toffee

The left back position could be an issue. Playing TAA in midfield needs to be binned off too. Get Mainoo alongside Rice.

Was impressed with Guehi though and with Stones and Walker there’s three to make up a solid back four. Hopefully Shaw will be fit for the later stages, but it’s risky.
England V Serbia on 09:40 - Jun 17 with 515 viewsSaintNick

England V Serbia on 09:39 - Jun 17 by solent_toffee

The left back position could be an issue. Playing TAA in midfield needs to be binned off too. Get Mainoo alongside Rice.

Was impressed with Guehi though and with Stones and Walker there’s three to make up a solid back four. Hopefully Shaw will be fit for the later stages, but it’s risky.

The back four didn't get tested too much, but when it did it panicked a little too much for my liking

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

England V Serbia on 09:49 - Jun 17 with 496 viewsSonicBoom

The issue seemed to be we didn't have a plan second half when Serbia decided to come out and play. They got on the front foot and pressed us winning most second balls. Instead of taking a step forward and pressing them and competing, we took a step back allowing them territory and time on the ball.
That passivity is a worry. Someone said Southgate is a man that changes to battery saver mode when his phone goes to 99%.
England V Serbia on 09:57 - Jun 17 with 484 views1885_SFC

I was recently asked what I think of England's chances in the UEFA Euros.

I said, "Their chances are just like when I take a beautiful woman home after drinking all night - I get to a semi and then flop."

Old School is Cool

England V Serbia on 10:22 - Jun 17 with 460 viewssaint901

I think Serbia highlighted an issue which we saw Iceland exploit.

We have a defensive midfield pair (yesterday Rice and TAA) and then an offensive midfield trio (yesterday Bellingham, Foden and Saka).

If the opposition get in the front foot and play from the half way line, the offensive three are nullified and the defensive two overwhelmed. That presses us back into our own box.

Yesterday was also not helped by TAA going missing from the defensive job. I get that he's there because he can pass the ball a long way but if that is the case, than I would have played Mainoo as well from the start and put Foden on the bench.

That then becomes a straight choice for Southgate - Foden or TAA. For me I think it's one or the other.

Foden is a good player but has struggled to find a place he is comfortable in this team. I can see him as a replacement for Saka (who faded badly) perhaps?

TAA lacks discipline and can't tackle. Two traits that make him an unsuitable defensive mid in my view. If he is there for the long diagonal pass or the penetrating forward pass, then he needs vision and better judgement.

I know the pundits wax lyrical about TAA but personally I just don't see it.

So may team for the next match.

Pickford
Walker, Stones Guehi, Trippier
Rice, Mainoo
TAA
Bellingham, Saka
Kane

Subs at 55/60 mins - Foden for Saka, Gallagher for TAA, Eze for Bellingham

If fit, I'd bring on Shaw for Trippier because the left side is unbalanced.
England V Serbia on 10:24 - Jun 17 with 453 viewsPatfromPoole

Wharton needs to play.

Great atmosphere there last night. Chaotic getting in and out of the ground.

So much for German efficiency…..

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

England V Serbia on 12:25 - Jun 17 with 372 viewssaintmark1976

Difficult to see much of a chance of progressing to the final with Kane up front, totally ineffective once again.
Login to get fewer ads

England V Serbia on 12:38 - Jun 17 with 356 viewssaint901

England V Serbia on 12:25 - Jun 17 by saintmark1976

Difficult to see much of a chance of progressing to the final with Kane up front, totally ineffective once again.

Played the role he was told - didn't drop deep - tried (esp 2nd half) to hold the ball up - pulled a defender out of position to Bellingham to score - hit the bar after a fantastic save from their keeper - ran the channels.

Aside from that I agree, ineffective.
England V Serbia on 12:51 - Jun 17 with 346 viewsNYC_Saint

I thought TAA was awful. Mainoo or Wharton to sit next to rice and maybe bring in Gordon or Palmer for Foden and have him come in later for saka who seemed to tire quickly. I'd also suggest putting Gomez in for trippier on the left if Shaw isn't fit enough.

However, expect the same exact team vs Denmark and the "Media Liverpool fan club" to drawl all over TAA. Read this morning about how it's not his natural position etc and needs time to adjust. Why do we need to show horn in a (frankly average) player when there are better natural fits out there?
England V Serbia on 13:07 - Jun 17 with 324 viewsBerber

This, Trippier was not good enough yesterday, and nobody seemed to be able to get a relationship going with him. Off day for Foden, but it probably won’t happen again. The defence held up well overall against a high press, and will only get better at preventing play between the lines. Too often Serbia came away with the ball because they wanted it more.
England V Serbia on 13:10 - Jun 17 with 322 viewssaintmark1976

England V Serbia on 12:38 - Jun 17 by saint901

Played the role he was told - didn't drop deep - tried (esp 2nd half) to hold the ball up - pulled a defender out of position to Bellingham to score - hit the bar after a fantastic save from their keeper - ran the channels.

Aside from that I agree, ineffective.

So in a nut shell, ran about a lot and failed to score.

Oh well, I suppose we all have different views on what is considered effective..

Each to their own I suppose.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024