Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
redknapp 23:14 - Nov 22 with 11000 viewstom007

i believe Sunday is the day he is taking over.

Hughes we can say goodbye to Saturday if he hangs around bit it seems definite harry in Sunday.
redknapp on 09:56 - Nov 23 with 1557 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Like others I would have mixed feelings about Redknapp.

Firstly, is he the right man for Rangers? This issue seems to revolve around his suitability in the long-term. My feelings is that we have no long-term. There is only now. We're not in a position to think about the long term. And I don't think we could get anyone better than Redknapp for the remainder of this campaign.

Secondly, do his past financial actions make him unsuitable for our club? Probably. But then I think about Jim Gregory...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

redknapp on 09:57 - Nov 23 with 1545 viewsGloucs_R

redknapp on 09:52 - Nov 23 by daveB

personally I am really disapointed by this news. I wanted us to open the job up and look to change direction, go for a younger manager who sees QPR as a big step up, someone like mackay, Karl Robinson or Gus Poyet but instead we've gone for a straight swap and will be back in the same position looking for another manager by next year.

Good Luck to Redknapp, hope he keeps us up but his comments in the past on Taarabt fill me with dread to be honest.

I understand what you mean BUT the big problem is could a younger manager control the dressing room? We have a bunch of 30+ year old players who are not performing and will costs us a fortune next season if we go down.

If Hughes wouldnt have bought so many of these type of players and gone for younger, hungrier players I dont think we would be in this position.

Poll: Are we staying up?

redknapp on 09:58 - Nov 23 with 1545 viewsNorthernr

redknapp on 09:56 - Nov 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Like others I would have mixed feelings about Redknapp.

Firstly, is he the right man for Rangers? This issue seems to revolve around his suitability in the long-term. My feelings is that we have no long-term. There is only now. We're not in a position to think about the long term. And I don't think we could get anyone better than Redknapp for the remainder of this campaign.

Secondly, do his past financial actions make him unsuitable for our club? Probably. But then I think about Jim Gregory...

I think it's the process that worries me more than Redknapp himself. Short term he'd probably do well for us. Let's face it, unless he fails to win any of his first 13 matches he can't do any worse can he?

But it's yet another short term fix. Yet another one horse race.
redknapp on 09:59 - Nov 23 with 1539 viewsBasingstokeR

redknapp on 09:52 - Nov 23 by daveB

personally I am really disapointed by this news. I wanted us to open the job up and look to change direction, go for a younger manager who sees QPR as a big step up, someone like mackay, Karl Robinson or Gus Poyet but instead we've gone for a straight swap and will be back in the same position looking for another manager by next year.

Good Luck to Redknapp, hope he keeps us up but his comments in the past on Taarabt fill me with dread to be honest.

The Taarabt / Redknapp factor worries me too, hopefully that wouldn't neuter Adel's performance level going forward.
redknapp on 10:01 - Nov 23 with 1537 viewsGloucs_R

redknapp on 09:58 - Nov 23 by Northernr

I think it's the process that worries me more than Redknapp himself. Short term he'd probably do well for us. Let's face it, unless he fails to win any of his first 13 matches he can't do any worse can he?

But at least it gives us a couple of years to work out where do we go from here.

The other thing that nobody seems to be mentioning is Asia. We have multiple Asian sponsors who, I dont believe, will want a younger manager. They will want a big name or its buy buy sponsorship money.

Poll: Are we staying up?

redknapp on 10:05 - Nov 23 with 1520 viewsbarbicanranger

I think the one upside of appointing redknapp is that if we do go down he is no stranger to the lower leagues, he took pompey up to the PL so I think he would be in a better position to stabilise us and launch a promotion campaign...my big fear would be to appoint a manager who doesnt have this experience, we get relegated and are looking for a new man this time next season.
redknapp on 10:07 - Nov 23 with 1512 viewsBrianMcCarthy

redknapp on 09:58 - Nov 23 by Northernr

I agree with you. It's very disappointing to be back here again. New manager. New signings. New coaches...

But I think we've no choice. We have to admit our error and spend the money required to rectify it. The alternative path is inaction through fear and/or stubbornness.

So we have to appoint someone who'll keep us up. The rest is for another day.

redknapp on 10:09 - Nov 23 with 1495 viewsNorthernr

redknapp on 10:01 - Nov 23 by Gloucs_R

But at least it gives us a couple of years to work out where do we go from here.

The other thing that nobody seems to be mentioning is Asia. We have multiple Asian sponsors who, I dont believe, will want a younger manager. They will want a big name or its buy buy sponsorship money.

Quite frankly our big Asian sponsors can go and fck themselves. Signing players that pander to that lot has proven to be a monumental disaster. Sponsors like teams that are winning.

And while yes Redknapp may steady the ship for a couple of years like you say, which would be a good thing, I'd suggest he's also highly likely to continue signing lots of lots of players the likes of which you mention in your previous post.

I don't think a solution to "We have a bunch of 30+ year old players who are not performing and will costs us a fortune next season if we go down" is to buy a whole load more 30+ year old players who will cost a fortune if things go badly.

I'd rather see a younger manager come in, steadily weed out all the mercenaries, probably get relegated in the meantime, but over time develop a QPR team under a clear plan and strategy, one we can be proud of full of players who want to be here, than simply keep going down our current path.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Login to get fewer ads

redknapp on 10:10 - Nov 23 with 1486 viewsNorthernr

redknapp on 10:07 - Nov 23 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree with you. It's very disappointing to be back here again. New manager. New signings. New coaches...

But I think we've no choice. We have to admit our error and spend the money required to rectify it. The alternative path is inaction through fear and/or stubbornness.

So we have to appoint someone who'll keep us up. The rest is for another day.

Well if the choices are Redknapp or do nothing then clearly I'd go for Redknapp. But I don't see those as the only two options.
redknapp on 10:11 - Nov 23 with 1481 viewsBAWHoops

I'm wary as well. The thing is I was very ghappy with Hughes and assumed he would work for us.
The only thing that makes me feel better about 'Arry is he reminds me of Warnock who came in when we were in a dire situation, was the only candidate and dragged us out the mire.
I wasn't overly happy with Warnocks appointment at the time and I feel the same with HR. Needless to say, Warnock won me over though and some!!

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

redknapp on 10:12 - Nov 23 with 1477 viewsTheBlob

Look let's concentrate on staying up rather than casting eyes on some misty distant horizon.Let the future take care of itself.
Harry's the man.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

redknapp on 10:13 - Nov 23 with 1471 viewsNorthernr

redknapp on 10:11 - Nov 23 by BAWHoops

I'm wary as well. The thing is I was very ghappy with Hughes and assumed he would work for us.
The only thing that makes me feel better about 'Arry is he reminds me of Warnock who came in when we were in a dire situation, was the only candidate and dragged us out the mire.
I wasn't overly happy with Warnocks appointment at the time and I feel the same with HR. Needless to say, Warnock won me over though and some!!

And Redknapp's teams do play attacking entertaining football. One of the things with Hughes is that even when we're not getting hammered, the team is boring as fck to watch.
redknapp on 10:13 - Nov 23 with 1466 viewsBrianMcCarthy

redknapp on 10:09 - Nov 23 by Northernr

Quite frankly our big Asian sponsors can go and fck themselves. Signing players that pander to that lot has proven to be a monumental disaster. Sponsors like teams that are winning.

And while yes Redknapp may steady the ship for a couple of years like you say, which would be a good thing, I'd suggest he's also highly likely to continue signing lots of lots of players the likes of which you mention in your previous post.

I don't think a solution to "We have a bunch of 30+ year old players who are not performing and will costs us a fortune next season if we go down" is to buy a whole load more 30+ year old players who will cost a fortune if things go badly.

I'd rather see a younger manager come in, steadily weed out all the mercenaries, probably get relegated in the meantime, but over time develop a QPR team under a clear plan and strategy, one we can be proud of full of players who want to be here, than simply keep going down our current path.

"I'd rather see a younger manager come in, steadily weed out all the mercenaries, probably get relegated in the meantime, but over time develop a QPR team under a clear plan and strategy, one we can be proud of full of players who want to be here, than simply keep going down our current path."

Eloquently put. Obviously from the heart. I would too, with all my heart. Unfortunately, I don't believe our owners give a damn about that. Clearly not from the signings they've authorised. Instant gratification seems to be the plan. We can only hope that they don't wreck our club on the rocks in their pursuit of it. We need to stay up. Or financial ruin awaits.

redknapp on 10:15 - Nov 23 with 1459 viewsWestbourneR

redknapp on 10:12 - Nov 23 by TheBlob

Look let's concentrate on staying up rather than casting eyes on some misty distant horizon.Let the future take care of itself.
Harry's the man.

For me Blob says it all - and it's what i've been saying. We don't have the time or money to think long term right now we just need to stay up.

Once we're stable again we can think about a proper handover to a young talented manager.

Also a lot the 'long term' stuff people want is going on behind the scenes anyway. Hughes may say he is long term but it's worth abolsutely nothing if we're rock bottom, can't win and swiftly relegated.

It has to Redknapp.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

redknapp on 10:16 - Nov 23 with 1451 viewsNorthernr

redknapp on 10:15 - Nov 23 by WestbourneR

For me Blob says it all - and it's what i've been saying. We don't have the time or money to think long term right now we just need to stay up.

Once we're stable again we can think about a proper handover to a young talented manager.

Also a lot the 'long term' stuff people want is going on behind the scenes anyway. Hughes may say he is long term but it's worth abolsutely nothing if we're rock bottom, can't win and swiftly relegated.

It has to Redknapp.

Not to twist the knife too much Westbourne because we've all talked a lot of bolox about signings and whatever over the last 11 months - but you said "it has to be Hughes" as well.
redknapp on 10:16 - Nov 23 with 1310 viewssimmo

I would like to do something like those lot down the road. Give Redknapp the job at interim level until end of the season with a big bonus if we stay up. Come end of the season get in a good young manager with a clear and exact long term plan to forge a team rather than a group of players. The Mackays, Poyets, Solskjaers of this world....

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

redknapp on 10:18 - Nov 23 with 1301 viewsMerthyrHoop

redknapp on 10:09 - Nov 23 by Northernr

Spot on Clive, the bottom paragraph especially. This is the approach that well-run clubs like Swansea, West Brom and Wigan would take, but unfortunately not the direction our starry-eyed chairman will go in.

I like Redknapp, and he gets his teams playing good football, but we need a long-term solution. I would love us to become an established Premier League club but not by signing 10 overpaid prima-donnas a season who pick and choose which manager they play for.

It feels like the club has spent the last six years chasing it's tail without really knowing what it will do if it ever catches it
redknapp on 10:22 - Nov 23 with 1275 viewsNorthernr

redknapp on 10:12 - Nov 23 by TheBlob

Harry's the man.

Presumably you think it's a bit odd that we're currently bottom of a league where clubs of similar size to us are prospering by casting their eyes on some misty distant horizon - West Brom, Norwich, Swansea.

Still, Harry's the man. Let's throw a load more money at it. That should work.
redknapp on 10:23 - Nov 23 with 1269 viewsStraightR

redknapp on 10:18 - Nov 23 by MerthyrHoop

Spot on Clive, the bottom paragraph especially. This is the approach that well-run clubs like Swansea, West Brom and Wigan would take, but unfortunately not the direction our starry-eyed chairman will go in.

I like Redknapp, and he gets his teams playing good football, but we need a long-term solution. I would love us to become an established Premier League club but not by signing 10 overpaid prima-donnas a season who pick and choose which manager they play for.

It feels like the club has spent the last six years chasing it's tail without really knowing what it will do if it ever catches it

If Redknapp is appointed then that means to me it's a short term fix and that the owners have decided to gamble on staying up. And with the money at stake I can understand why. However, I hope that they will stick with the club should we be relegated (and personally I feel we will be). I also hope that, whatever league we play in , they have some kind of strategy in place (I hate to call it a Four Year Plan!) as to how to develop the club with a younger manager, developing our youth etc.

My own view is that we are essentially a mid to top level Championship club currently punching above our weight. I’d quite like to stay that way with some financial security, strong links into the West London community, the odd Cup run and maybe an occasional yo-yo into the Prem. But I’m just an old romantic. It’s all about Sky money not the fans.
redknapp on 10:23 - Nov 23 with 1268 viewsMerthyrHoop

redknapp on 10:16 - Nov 23 by simmo

I would like to do something like those lot down the road. Give Redknapp the job at interim level until end of the season with a big bonus if we stay up. Come end of the season get in a good young manager with a clear and exact long term plan to forge a team rather than a group of players. The Mackays, Poyets, Solskjaers of this world....

I very much doubt that Harry Redknapp, a manager who took Tottenham to a few top-four finishes, would accept a temp job at little old QPR.

If he comes to us it will be on his terms, on a long-term contract with an attractive salary and bonus structure. With the Ukraine job in the distance, Tony Fernandes will effectively have his trousers pulled down and bent over if he wants to employ Redknapp
redknapp on 10:24 - Nov 23 with 1262 viewsNorthernr

redknapp on 10:23 - Nov 23 by MerthyrHoop

I very much doubt that Harry Redknapp, a manager who took Tottenham to a few top-four finishes, would accept a temp job at little old QPR.

If he comes to us it will be on his terms, on a long-term contract with an attractive salary and bonus structure. With the Ukraine job in the distance, Tony Fernandes will effectively have his trousers pulled down and bent over if he wants to employ Redknapp

That Ukraine job is blatantly Redknapp trying to hurry things along at QPR. He'll no more be the new manager of Ukraine than I will.
redknapp on 10:24 - Nov 23 with 1259 viewsdaveB

One thing Redknapp will do is bring in former QPR players as coaches, even if it's a token effort he is no mug and will try and get the fans on side with people like Les Ferdinand and Clive Allen coming with him. I won't keep repeating myself all day as Clive says it much better than me anyway but this is really depressing news imo as we seem to have learnt nothing from the last 10 months.
redknapp on 10:25 - Nov 23 with 1254 viewsJamie

redknapp on 10:24 - Nov 23 by Northernr

That Ukraine job is blatantly Redknapp trying to hurry things along at QPR. He'll no more be the new manager of Ukraine than I will.

As said the other day, if it hadve been anymore transparent you'd have spotted the QPR club tie.
redknapp on 10:26 - Nov 23 with 1252 viewsBrianMcCarthy

redknapp on 10:22 - Nov 23 by Northernr

Presumably you think it's a bit odd that we're currently bottom of a league where clubs of similar size to us are prospering by casting their eyes on some misty distant horizon - West Brom, Norwich, Swansea.

Still, Harry's the man. Let's throw a load more money at it. That should work.

I really feel (and share) the frustration. But the time for appointing a progressive, club-building manager is close-season or, if mid-season, when we can afford the ship to waver while we change skippers. I'm afraid (yet again) we don't have that luxury. That's my worry.

That, and the morality of appointing a man like Redknapp at all.

redknapp on 10:26 - Nov 23 with 1250 viewsWestbourneR

redknapp on 10:16 - Nov 23 by Northernr

Not to twist the knife too much Westbourne because we've all talked a lot of bolox about signings and whatever over the last 11 months - but you said "it has to be Hughes" as well.

Northern I know that. I get reminded of it every time I post. I feel the shame ok.

I posted a full and frank apology now can we all just let me pretend my opinion is still worth something please? Thanks.

I've never called it as wrong as I called it with Hughes, he has sorely disappointed me.

Redknapp has a more solid CV. Well he has a hell of a lot better CV than anyone else we are going to get at this point. Who else do you suggest? Cos Hughes can't stay that is for sure.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024