Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
redknapp 23:14 - Nov 22 with 10508 viewstom007

i believe Sunday is the day he is taking over.

Hughes we can say goodbye to Saturday if he hangs around bit it seems definite harry in Sunday.
redknapp on 10:28 - Nov 23 with 1307 viewsMerthyrHoop

redknapp on 10:23 - Nov 23 by StraightR

If Redknapp is appointed then that means to me it's a short term fix and that the owners have decided to gamble on staying up. And with the money at stake I can understand why. However, I hope that they will stick with the club should we be relegated (and personally I feel we will be). I also hope that, whatever league we play in , they have some kind of strategy in place (I hate to call it a Four Year Plan!) as to how to develop the club with a younger manager, developing our youth etc.

My own view is that we are essentially a mid to top level Championship club currently punching above our weight. I’d quite like to stay that way with some financial security, strong links into the West London community, the odd Cup run and maybe an occasional yo-yo into the Prem. But I’m just an old romantic. It’s all about Sky money not the fans.

Absolutely right. Like I said earlier, if the club see relegation as their armageddon, then they have to appoint Redknapp as I think he is the best candidate out there to get this squad of players to stay up.

If they have budgeted as responsibly as they've said they have, and are willing to take the financial hit that relegation will bring, then look for someone progressive who has a clear philosophy for how a club should be run from top to bottom.

I personally haven't enjoyed the Premier League too much, I would subscribe to where you would like the club to be. As long as the club is financially stable, try to play attacking attractive football, and important roles are given to people who understand the club, then I'll be happy
redknapp on 10:29 - Nov 23 with 1307 viewsNorthernr

redknapp on 10:26 - Nov 23 by WestbourneR

Northern I know that. I get reminded of it every time I post. I feel the shame ok.

I posted a full and frank apology now can we all just let me pretend my opinion is still worth something please? Thanks.

I've never called it as wrong as I called it with Hughes, he has sorely disappointed me.

Redknapp has a more solid CV. Well he has a hell of a lot better CV than anyone else we are going to get at this point. Who else do you suggest? Cos Hughes can't stay that is for sure.

I'm just using you (apologies) to point out that by thinking very narrowly that the only way we're going to get out of this is by begging Harry Redknapp to come here, giving him everything he wants, acceding to every demand, giving him a massive contract, letting him bring in a load of new players etc then we're essentially just making the same mistakes we did with Hughes all over again. Might go better, might go worse, but it's the process that's broken here.

Agree Hughes can't stay now, he's made a mess of the thing and should resign really if he had any honour. I've said I'd like Mckay or Poyet in here as my choices.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
redknapp on 10:35 - Nov 23 with 1288 viewsderbyhoop

I'm far from convinced that any manager can keep us up from this position.
Redknapp may appeal to the sponsors, but he won't come on the cheap, will probably demand a transfer kitty for January and, at 65, how long does he want to remain in the game - especially managing a Championship club with major financial problems.

Hughes' reign may end in farce, but appointing Redknapp just adds to it. As Clive said, no lessons have been learnt from the last 18 months.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

redknapp on 10:41 - Nov 23 with 1264 viewsGloucs_R

I'd rather see a new manager come in, Harry, make a couple of LOAN signings in the Jan window and get on with what we have. If we survive and are in the Prem next season then we buy more sensibly, only 3/4 players with none older than 28.

Poll: Are we staying up?

redknapp on 10:43 - Nov 23 with 1259 viewsJonDoeman

Should be a more enjoyable experience anyway, at least Harry's teams have a go.
And that is what has been pissing me off, we're going down with a whimper, under this negative clueless overrated mug .

It Is What It Is !!

redknapp on 10:47 - Nov 23 with 1246 viewsPhildo

redknapp on 10:35 - Nov 23 by derbyhoop

I'm far from convinced that any manager can keep us up from this position.
Redknapp may appeal to the sponsors, but he won't come on the cheap, will probably demand a transfer kitty for January and, at 65, how long does he want to remain in the game - especially managing a Championship club with major financial problems.

Hughes' reign may end in farce, but appointing Redknapp just adds to it. As Clive said, no lessons have been learnt from the last 18 months.

HR is a good manager and i think will keep us up at a squeak. What i worry about is that it suggests the board - or TF- haven't learned anything from the last year and a half.

Its all about the brand. They want to turn our little club into a destination for the world visiting London - a sort of London Rangers rather than Bushrangers. That is why the talk of a 45k stadium placed near a travel hub. We all roll our eyes when that 45k figure gets trotted out because we know there aren't 45k of us. But they know that and have a vision of the future where 'we' are in the minority. They have made an almighty balls up of that this season -in fairness they are signing the cheques.

I think a lot of us are turning a blind eye to this because we are tempted that this is the only way to gatecrash the big time.

That Dr Faustus is a good play........

redknapp on 10:47 - Nov 23 with 1243 viewsTW_R

redknapp on 10:13 - Nov 23 by Northernr

And Redknapp's teams do play attacking entertaining football. One of the things with Hughes is that even when we're not getting hammered, the team is boring as fck to watch.

"....the team is boring as fck to watch."

Why is this such a suprise though? Under Hughes we were always going to be boring to watch. Blackburn were bloody awful to watch when he was there and that's exactly what I was expecting. As said before the only suprise to me is how easy we've been to beat. I expected a number of nil-nils and one-nils.

I get your point about Swansea and Norwich and building for the long-term, but TF is stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's too late for the long-term approach if he wants to stay in the PL. There is an inherent risk in that strategy today. That being we go down and not get back up again. Based on the outlay currently put into the club by the current owners, that's too great a risk. I think winning the Championship when we did effectively hung us by our own petard. We got promoted too quickly, with not long-term view. We also got screwed by the previous owners who decided they wanted out at completely the wrong time.

There are only 2 viable options left open to the owners. Keep Hughes and hope his really is as good as he thinks (starting with a win on Saturday) or get rid and bring in someone to keep us in the PL. Redknapp seems to be the only candidate available that fits this criteria.

That's not to say we shouldn't be planning for the long-term. Give Harry 18 months and bring in someone young to work with him who can take over once the club is on a more stable footing, be that in the PL or not.
redknapp on 10:55 - Nov 23 with 1218 viewsJonDoeman

Should've read the whole thread , that post you've quoted from Clive, is what I was trying to say.

It Is What It Is !!

Login to get fewer ads

redknapp on 10:56 - Nov 23 with 1214 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I am a bit confused by all this.
TF's biggest mistake seems to have been backing the wrong horse doesn't it?
As we are now in a hole we need to stay up at all costs and this would not seem the time to throw in an untried Manager.
Some posters are unhappy we may be appointing the nations favourite for the England job a few months ago. It might not be the long term solution but we need to stay in this league.
redknapp on 10:56 - Nov 23 with 1209 viewsadhoc_qpr

All the signs from this season (form, morale, points total) plus all the historical precedents etc point to almost certain relegation for us this season.

Even if we appoint Redknapp or anyone else within the next week with a view to keeping us up - the board simply MUST keep tight control of the purse strings in January.

We must look to loan players, loan players with a view to a permanent transfer if we stay up, sell players to create funds etc.

We're already in trouble financially if we go down, giving another manager carte blanche to spend another £20m and add even more heft to the wage bill with relegation very likely is utter madness.
redknapp on 10:56 - Nov 23 with 1209 viewsdaveB

redknapp on 10:26 - Nov 23 by BrianMcCarthy

I really feel (and share) the frustration. But the time for appointing a progressive, club-building manager is close-season or, if mid-season, when we can afford the ship to waver while we change skippers. I'm afraid (yet again) we don't have that luxury. That's my worry.

That, and the morality of appointing a man like Redknapp at all.

problem is we go for a quick fix every time so need to change managers mid season every year which means we never ever look at the long term
redknapp on 11:00 - Nov 23 with 1193 viewsTheBlob

redknapp on 10:56 - Nov 23 by daveB

problem is we go for a quick fix every time so need to change managers mid season every year which means we never ever look at the long term

But that's just it,you can't plan for the long term before you know what that entails.
When you're out of sync like this it's very difficult to get back on the pace - as we've seen.A strong short term solution is needed - and what was always needed.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

redknapp on 11:03 - Nov 23 with 1180 viewsadhoc_qpr

I wonder if Redknapp would take a contract until June with an automatic extension if we stay up (plus a big bonus) and a break clause option if we go down?
redknapp on 11:05 - Nov 23 with 1171 viewsdaveB

redknapp on 10:56 - Nov 23 by CroydonCaptJack

I am a bit confused by all this.
TF's biggest mistake seems to have been backing the wrong horse doesn't it?
As we are now in a hole we need to stay up at all costs and this would not seem the time to throw in an untried Manager.
Some posters are unhappy we may be appointing the nations favourite for the England job a few months ago. It might not be the long term solution but we need to stay in this league.

for me his biggest mistake has been to push for signing big names rather than good signings and to hype the club into something it isn't. The club has no soul, no real football people at the club and is making the same mistakes we did under Chris Wright.

This is the chance to change things and get it right, instead we're going for the spend more policy which I don't think will keep us up and long term will kill us.
redknapp on 11:07 - Nov 23 with 1160 viewssimmo

Exactly right. A proper TEAM rather than a collection of big name individuals. Similar to West Brom/Norwich/Newcastle. Well scouted and honest players with a clear job in the team and the motivation to carry that job out beyond just a pay packet

Pick a system
Get the players in to match that system (not the other way round)

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

redknapp on 11:11 - Nov 23 with 1147 viewsjeffro

It's as simple as this:

1) We need to remain in the Premier League at all costs.

2) Redknapp is the best candidate for this to happen.

3) Unfortunately, our club is run by businessman and they need to be successful, therefore its all well and good people coming on here bleating about long term plans and Karl Robinsons of the world, but we simply cant do that now.
It has to be short term, until we are safe.

Agreed with another post though, get Harry in and have a younger assistant groomed and ready to take over in 3 years.
redknapp on 11:21 - Nov 23 with 1095 viewsAntti_Heinola

Why do we need to stay in the league at all costs? We said this last season, and actually it might have been better to go down. Obviously, we'd need to come straight back up and it will cost money, but I don't see going down as quite the armageddon others seem to.

I despise Redknapp, but he will at least get them playing I think. Would have preferred Poyet - fresh face, great attitude, plays good football, has approached management in the right way, picking up lots of experience as a coach first and starting low down and everyone loves him. Think he'd be a good option, even if we went down.

Bare bones.

redknapp on 11:24 - Nov 23 with 1088 viewssimmo

Whatever the implications financially, It will be a joy to watch the attacking players we have playing with the freedom and free flowing style Harry employs. Letting players like Hoilett, Taarabt, Cisse, Granero off the leash will be excellent to see and a million times better than the boring as buggery current regime

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

redknapp on 11:34 - Nov 23 with 1050 viewsTW_R

redknapp on 11:21 - Nov 23 by Antti_Heinola

Why do we need to stay in the league at all costs? We said this last season, and actually it might have been better to go down. Obviously, we'd need to come straight back up and it will cost money, but I don't see going down as quite the armageddon others seem to.

I despise Redknapp, but he will at least get them playing I think. Would have preferred Poyet - fresh face, great attitude, plays good football, has approached management in the right way, picking up lots of experience as a coach first and starting low down and everyone loves him. Think he'd be a good option, even if we went down.

Well, I would suggest you have a look at the current Championship table. Wolves & Bolton in 16th & 17th respectively. It's much easier to go down than it is to go back up. You only need to think back to the last time we got relegated from the top division. It cost us hundreds of millions of pounds, ridiculous instability and a revolving door of managers. To go down at the end of this season would be even more costly as the sums involved for clubs in the PL are astronomical.
redknapp on 11:41 - Nov 23 with 1037 viewsDejR_vu

The thing is Norf, we're in a corner. Ideally we would give it to a young manager and take relegation on the chin to rebuild. Realistically though, given the wage structure, relegation could mean oblivion, especially if we didn't come straight back up. At least with HR we have a fighting chance to steady the ship, and then build from there. If he spends more money and fails then we will be no worse off. I don't know what the debt is but frankly can't see much difference between say 80m and 100m in terms of the long-term prospects.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

redknapp on 11:47 - Nov 23 with 1026 viewsActonR

Northern I totally agree about the structure of the club and I think Ollie coming back would have been great -- appreciate never going to happen now that he has just joined Palace.

However, in our current situation and facing inevitable relegation we need someone with a proven pedigree. Rednapp has a track record of getting a bunch of journeymen foreigners to play together and keeping teams up. We can't afford to take a risk of an unproven manager at doing this which would, as you said, address the fundamental long term problem facing the club.

We have to appoint short term again -- as we did with Hughes -- to save us from the potential destruction of relegation. As I believe that TF and the board would walk. Any other appointment is too great a risk.

I also think that no one had any idea that Hughes would have been such a disaster.
redknapp on 11:47 - Nov 23 with 1026 viewsAntti_Heinola

redknapp on 10:56 - Nov 23 by daveB

to be fair, i don't think Hughes was seen as a quick fix. They thought he'd be here for years and years.

Bare bones.

redknapp on 11:50 - Nov 23 with 1016 viewsbaz_qpr

It all comes down to next years TV deal, £70m for coming bottom, massive parachute payments there on in, it is shit or bust for the next 18 months because the drawbridge is being raised after that
redknapp on 11:57 - Nov 23 with 1006 viewsActonR

redknapp on 11:47 - Nov 23 by Antti_Heinola

to be fair, i don't think Hughes was seen as a quick fix. They thought he'd be here for years and years.

Yes but it is the manner of Hughes appointment is the issue: not interviewing other candidates and assessing their visions for the long term was born out of short term necessity to act quickly and bring someone in who could keep us up.

This same process of anointing successors will hopefully see Rednapp announced imminently and this is again due to the short term problem not allowing us to assess managers long term visions for the club.
redknapp on 14:28 - Nov 23 with 965 viewsBrianMcCarthy

redknapp on 10:24 - Nov 23 by Northernr

That Ukraine job is blatantly Redknapp trying to hurry things along at QPR. He'll no more be the new manager of Ukraine than I will.

Definitely. Media friends. He's a dodgy one.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024