Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying 10:15 - Mar 10 with 2730 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/54485/why-southamptons-t

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 14:06 - Mar 10 with 2023 viewsSadoldgit

The final fair plays rules were supposed to help level the playing fields but just seem to help the richer clubs. I don’t expect every club to be equal, they never have been, but the dice are heavily loaded in the favour of the super rich clubs now and that has killed the competition. I would prefer it if the top clubs stayed as it is always good to sneak the occasional win, but something needs to be done to redress the balance and to make things more competitive. Having said that I have no idea who you go about trying to even things up. Even if you levelled out wages players would always gravitate the the bigger clubs I would imagine.
A major problem is the hoovering up of all the talent. Some teams have two first teams whereas we just about have one. Perhaps reduce the squad sizes so that the talent gets spread around a bit more?
Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 14:21 - Mar 10 with 2005 viewsSaintNick

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 14:06 - Mar 10 by Sadoldgit

The final fair plays rules were supposed to help level the playing fields but just seem to help the richer clubs. I don’t expect every club to be equal, they never have been, but the dice are heavily loaded in the favour of the super rich clubs now and that has killed the competition. I would prefer it if the top clubs stayed as it is always good to sneak the occasional win, but something needs to be done to redress the balance and to make things more competitive. Having said that I have no idea who you go about trying to even things up. Even if you levelled out wages players would always gravitate the the bigger clubs I would imagine.
A major problem is the hoovering up of all the talent. Some teams have two first teams whereas we just about have one. Perhaps reduce the squad sizes so that the talent gets spread around a bit more?

You are right, the likes of Man City have two squads, they are preparing for the enlarged Champions League where they are guaranteed at least 10 games, so they are getting 2 squads, hence they pay £40 million for Nathan Ake who has barely played, although in fairness he has been injured since January

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 20:58 - Mar 10 with 1877 viewsBlue

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 14:21 - Mar 10 by SaintNick

You are right, the likes of Man City have two squads, they are preparing for the enlarged Champions League where they are guaranteed at least 10 games, so they are getting 2 squads, hence they pay £40 million for Nathan Ake who has barely played, although in fairness he has been injured since January

And was injured before that. He'd have played a lot more at left back, otherwise.

Oh and we don't have two squads, in fact our squad is smaller than united, liverpool and chelsea's.

But don't let me giving you facts ruin your fable.

As for ffp, your club voted in favour of it, talk about turkeys and christmas. It's now a self-imposed glass ceiling for those clubs outside of the 'elite' (a name which, by the way, I despise).

Still stood in the Kippax

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 22:27 - Mar 10 with 1810 viewsButty101

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 20:58 - Mar 10 by Blue

And was injured before that. He'd have played a lot more at left back, otherwise.

Oh and we don't have two squads, in fact our squad is smaller than united, liverpool and chelsea's.

But don't let me giving you facts ruin your fable.

As for ffp, your club voted in favour of it, talk about turkeys and christmas. It's now a self-imposed glass ceiling for those clubs outside of the 'elite' (a name which, by the way, I despise).

Financial fair play would work if clubs like City didn’t bend the rules. Look at your ridiculous sponsorship deals with your owners. Sponsoring the training ground ffs. City should of had the book thrown at them, but UEFA bottled it.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 00:31 - Mar 11 with 1748 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

To be fair, we know top flight football is dead in this country, it has been for years. The 90s were still decent, but the last 10-15 years have been a farce.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 03:00 - Mar 11 with 1724 views1teeminants

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 00:31 - Mar 11 by Gennaro_Contaldo

To be fair, we know top flight football is dead in this country, it has been for years. The 90s were still decent, but the last 10-15 years have been a farce.

I was lucky to see saints win the FA cup and just miss out on the first division title to Liverpool in 84. All before money ruined the game and it was more of a level playing field.I feel sorry for those who will never see them win anything. Something needs to be done, either the big rich clubs join a super league with others or there are transfer restraints enforced. If nothing happens fans just won’t bother going soon .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 08:00 - Mar 11 with 1651 viewsBerber

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 22:27 - Mar 10 by Butty101

Financial fair play would work if clubs like City didn’t bend the rules. Look at your ridiculous sponsorship deals with your owners. Sponsoring the training ground ffs. City should of had the book thrown at them, but UEFA bottled it.

But we can't complain about Gao not throwing money at the club, and also expect the Man City owner not to do the same.
Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 11:14 - Mar 11 with 1605 viewsButty101

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 00:31 - Mar 11 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I think you are looking at yesteryears football through rose tinted glasses.

There has always been bigger clubs that poached our players. It broke my heart when Steve Williams went to Arsenal.

Football has always been dominated by the big spenders. Nothing has changed.

Login to get fewer ads

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 21:10 - Mar 11 with 1507 viewsBlue

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 22:27 - Mar 10 by Butty101

Go on then, I'll humour you.

Which rules have City bent?

And, what 'ridiculous sponsorship deals with our owners' do you mean?

As for sponsoring the training ground, it's a small part of the whole package, of shirt, stadium and womens team, too. If you are going to talk sh1te, try and get your facts right.

UEFA bottled fk all, UEFA gave City a 2 season Champions League ban, City appealed to a NEUTRAL body, they reviewed the evidence and found City did NOT break the rules UEFA said they did. So again, if you're going to talk sh1te, try and get your facts right.

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 09:07 - Mar 12 with 1394 viewsButty101

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 21:10 - Mar 11 by Blue

As for sponsoring the training ground, it's a small part of the whole package, of shirt, stadium and womens team, too. If you are going to talk sh1te, try and get your facts right.

UEFA bottled fk all, UEFA gave City a 2 season Champions League ban, City appealed to a NEUTRAL body, they reviewed the evidence and found City did NOT break the rules UEFA said they did. So again, if you're going to talk sh1te, try and get your facts right.

I dont blame you for being blinkered. Before you got taken over, the blues were going nowhere, living in the shadow of the mighty reds (that sounds familiar).

2010's 400mill sponsorship deal for 10 years was with Etihad. Why did Eithad only pay a fraction of the sponsorship and the rest was made up by ADUG? ADUG being owned Mansour...

The only reason you got off, was because you had more financial clout so got the best lawyers. Thats the way "justice" works in the world.

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 09:21 - Mar 12 with 1392 viewsSaintNick

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 21:10 - Mar 11 by Blue

I'm a little surprised that you stick up for them, you are right the ban was overturned it was not found that they had not broken the rules, but that "most of the alleged breaches were either not established or time-barred" but City still got fined as they falied to cooperate as the statement from the "neutral body" read.

"Manchester City’s two-year ban from the Champions League for a serious breach of Uefa’s financial fair play rules has been overturned by the court of arbitration for sport, which also reduced the club’s fine to €10m (£9m) from €30m.

Cas’s panel of three lawyers found that City failed to cooperate with the investigations by Uefa’s club financial control body (CFCB), which oversees FFP compliance, and imposed the €10m fine for that. The panel said City had shown a “disregard” for the principle that clubs must cooperate with a governing body’s investigations, and conducted an “obstruction of the investigations”.

However on the central finding by the CFCB’s “adjudicatory chamber” (AC) that City’s Abu Dhabi ownership had disguised its own funding as independent sponsorship by the state’s commercial companies, Cas found “most of the alleged breaches were either not established or time-barred”

So it seems that City got off by going "No Comment" in all interviews and refusing to divulge things so that it could not be proved what had happened,10 years ago you lot went around revelling that you were the people's club and would never be like United, that all changed with the first camel riding into town.

Do I blame you ? perhaps not it must have been hard to have to take so many years of United dominance so when the opportunity came you embraced it,I don't have a problem with that, what sticks in the throat a little is that you defend it .

I get slagged off for Liverpool bias on this board, but the response to this article on facebook from a mate of mine in Liverpool was.

"I can assure you Nick that there isn’t a Liverpool fan that I know who wants a Superleague. It’d end up no promotion or relegation like the f*ckin American football league. The club do, which is just one of the reasons we hate them so. The powers that be, not the club."

Slag off the Scousers but they stick up for what is right and despite success have constantly stood up when their owners have tried to pull a fast one

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 10:46 - Mar 13 with 1290 viewssolent_toffee

If I was a Man City fan I wouldn’t give two hoots about comments about the spend they’ve had or accusations that they’ve bought titles/trophies etc.

City have had the last ten years or watching some of the worlds best players playing for them, having some great days out, trips to Wembley etc. It’s sounds brilliant and I bet at no point none of their fans were remotely arsed about breaking FFP rule and why would they? I wouldn’t be and I doubt any Saints fans on here would if Saints had a backer like they’ve got.

I don’t think City will ever get any credit from certain quarters especially SKY as they have upset the apple cart and crashed into the Love Rivalry of Liverpool and Man United, two clubs whose virtues are never to be questioned. They’ve made the most important fixture in world football (TM SKY) into an after thought, a warm up act and they don’t like it.
Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 16:05 - Mar 13 with 1244 viewsBlue

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 09:07 - Mar 12 by Butty101

I dont blame you for being blinkered. Before you got taken over, the blues were going nowhere, living in the shadow of the mighty reds (that sounds familiar).

2010's 400mill sponsorship deal for 10 years was with Etihad. Why did Eithad only pay a fraction of the sponsorship and the rest was made up by ADUG? ADUG being owned Mansour...

The only reason you got off, was because you had more financial clout so got the best lawyers. Thats the way "justice" works in the world.

ADUG did NOT cover ANY of the sponsorship deal.

Try again, and this time use facts, rather than fiction.

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 16:14 - Mar 13 with 1239 viewsBlue

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 09:21 - Mar 12 by SaintNick

I'm a little surprised that you stick up for them, you are right the ban was overturned it was not found that they had not broken the rules, but that "most of the alleged breaches were either not established or time-barred" but City still got fined as they falied to cooperate as the statement from the "neutral body" read.

"Manchester City’s two-year ban from the Champions League for a serious breach of Uefa’s financial fair play rules has been overturned by the court of arbitration for sport, which also reduced the club’s fine to €10m (£9m) from €30m.

Cas’s panel of three lawyers found that City failed to cooperate with the investigations by Uefa’s club financial control body (CFCB), which oversees FFP compliance, and imposed the €10m fine for that. The panel said City had shown a “disregard” for the principle that clubs must cooperate with a governing body’s investigations, and conducted an “obstruction of the investigations”.

However on the central finding by the CFCB’s “adjudicatory chamber” (AC) that City’s Abu Dhabi ownership had disguised its own funding as independent sponsorship by the state’s commercial companies, Cas found “most of the alleged breaches were either not established or time-barred”

So it seems that City got off by going "No Comment" in all interviews and refusing to divulge things so that it could not be proved what had happened,10 years ago you lot went around revelling that you were the people's club and would never be like United, that all changed with the first camel riding into town.

Do I blame you ? perhaps not it must have been hard to have to take so many years of United dominance so when the opportunity came you embraced it,I don't have a problem with that, what sticks in the throat a little is that you defend it .

I get slagged off for Liverpool bias on this board, but the response to this article on facebook from a mate of mine in Liverpool was.

"I can assure you Nick that there isn’t a Liverpool fan that I know who wants a Superleague. It’d end up no promotion or relegation like the f*ckin American football league. The club do, which is just one of the reasons we hate them so. The powers that be, not the club."

Slag off the Scousers but they stick up for what is right and despite success have constantly stood up when their owners have tried to pull a fast one

" that all changed with the first camel riding into town."

Never had you down as a closet racist before Nick, showed yoiur true colours there.

Also, what the fk has this got to do with some euro super league? I'm completely against it, it's a fkn joke and a slap in the face to ANY level-headed football fan, so stick your pro-liverpool bias up your rear end, you're a joke.

Go back and read the FULL C.A.S. ruling, where "NO EVIDENCE FOUND" was written around 7 or 8 times, with regards the charges City faced.

As for not supplyimng evidence, I wouldn't either, to an outfit that had pre-judged the club, I'd rather present it, IN FULL, to an independent AC.

Yet another internet nomark that thinks he knows it all, but in reality, knows sweet FA about the very subject that has seemingly upset him.

Go educate yourself, it saves you making yourself look stupid, although you don't really seem that bothered about it, judging by how often it happens.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2021 16:17]

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 16:27 - Mar 13 with 1228 viewsBlue

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 10:46 - Mar 13 by solent_toffee

If I was a Man City fan I wouldn’t give two hoots about comments about the spend they’ve had or accusations that they’ve bought titles/trophies etc.

City have had the last ten years or watching some of the worlds best players playing for them, having some great days out, trips to Wembley etc. It’s sounds brilliant and I bet at no point none of their fans were remotely arsed about breaking FFP rule and why would they? I wouldn’t be and I doubt any Saints fans on here would if Saints had a backer like they’ve got.

I don’t think City will ever get any credit from certain quarters especially SKY as they have upset the apple cart and crashed into the Love Rivalry of Liverpool and Man United, two clubs whose virtues are never to be questioned. They’ve made the most important fixture in world football (TM SKY) into an after thought, a warm up act and they don’t like it.

Most of it is jealousy mate.

I'd love for the likes of Saints, Everton, West Ham and similar clubs to have their days in the sun, it's fkn brilliant.

Imagine going from Barry Conlon as your centre forward, to Sergio Aguero. Or Gary Mason in midfield, to David Silva, or from Darren Wassall as centre half, to Vincent Kompany.

It's amazing.

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 16:56 - Mar 13 with 1210 viewsDellHero_Would

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 16:27 - Mar 13 by Blue

Most of it is jealousy mate.

I'd love for the likes of Saints, Everton, West Ham and similar clubs to have their days in the sun, it's fkn brilliant.

Imagine going from Barry Conlon as your centre forward, to Sergio Aguero. Or Gary Mason in midfield, to David Silva, or from Darren Wassall as centre half, to Vincent Kompany.

It's amazing.

‘It’s amazing”

Is it?..Personally I’d rather support a team winning silverware by way of great football management, and building a team around what’s available to them. Probably an old fashioned view to have...

Drilling a load of holes in a desert thousands of miles away and stepping foot into the football sweet shop with the proceeds is just a bit hollow in my humble opinion.

If you enjoy that type of thing though, fair play to you.

Poll: Wearing a mask

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 17:57 - Mar 13 with 1181 viewsButty101

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 16:05 - Mar 13 by Blue

ADUG did NOT cover ANY of the sponsorship deal.

Try again, and this time use facts, rather than fiction.

The evidence was there to be seen after you got hacked in 2015/16. Google it if you don’t believe me. All the broadsheets reported it.

I see you are saying we are all jealous- not at all I’m genuinely surprised you don’t think financial doping took place. I haven’t got a problem with city winning, beats the usual mob winning.

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 18:03 - Mar 13 with 1171 viewsButty101

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 16:14 - Mar 13 by Blue

" that all changed with the first camel riding into town."

Never had you down as a closet racist before Nick, showed yoiur true colours there.

Also, what the fk has this got to do with some euro super league? I'm completely against it, it's a fkn joke and a slap in the face to ANY level-headed football fan, so stick your pro-liverpool bias up your rear end, you're a joke.

Go back and read the FULL C.A.S. ruling, where "NO EVIDENCE FOUND" was written around 7 or 8 times, with regards the charges City faced.

As for not supplyimng evidence, I wouldn't either, to an outfit that had pre-judged the club, I'd rather present it, IN FULL, to an independent AC.

Yet another internet nomark that thinks he knows it all, but in reality, knows sweet FA about the very subject that has seemingly upset him.

Go educate yourself, it saves you making yourself look stupid, although you don't really seem that bothered about it, judging by how often it happens.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2021 16:17]

“ The Court of Arbitration for Sport on Monday upheld City's appeal against a ban by European football's governing body, UEFA, but imposed a fine of 10 million euros ($11.3m) for failing to cooperate with investigators”

What Nick said is correct. You failed to cooperate. You need to check your facts blue

No, it doesn't. on 09:43 - Mar 14 with 1092 viewsdirk_doone

5 different teams have won the Premier League in the last 8 years and 5 different Premier League teams have been in Champions League finals in the last 15 years. This year, the new kids on the block, Man City, could be the 6th. It's easily the most competitive of the major leagues in Europe, most of which are totally dominated by just 2 or 3 big clubs.

Juventus have won Serie A for the last 9 years. and no team outside of the big 3 of Juventus, Inter and AC Milan has won the league in the last 20 years. In Spain, no team outside of the big 3 of Barcelona, Real and Atletico Madrid has won La Liga for 17 years. In Germany, Bayern have won the Bundesliga for the last 8 years and no team outside of the big 2 of Bayern and Borussia Dortmund has won the league in the last 12 years. In Portugal, no team outside of the big 2 of Benfica and Porto has won the league for 19 years. In France, PSG have won the league in 8 of the last 9 years. And we are whingeing about the Premier League being uncompetitive???

If you really want something to whinge about, try supporting a lower league team like Pompey. See how happy their fans are being in a 'competitive' league.

Saints' record v Man City:

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to_head.sd?team_id=2471&team2_id=1718
[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 11:32]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 10:47 - Mar 14 with 1034 viewsdirk_doone

By the way, if you really want to see a bunch of total bedwetters and whingers, try looking at the Liverpool fans' forum:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=347137.0
[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 10:47]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 22:05 - Mar 23 with 897 viewsBlue

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 16:56 - Mar 13 by DellHero_Would

‘It’s amazing”

Is it?..Personally I’d rather support a team winning silverware by way of great football management, and building a team around what’s available to them. Probably an old fashioned view to have...

Drilling a load of holes in a desert thousands of miles away and stepping foot into the football sweet shop with the proceeds is just a bit hollow in my humble opinion.

If you enjoy that type of thing though, fair play to you.

Yes, it is.

Our owner spent a bucketload in the first 6-7 years, playing catch-up. He's not put a penny in for the last 5-6 years.

Every club needs a boost occasionally, liverpool had it, united, arsenal, chelsea, just about every club, even Saints, who without Liebherr, could well still bed in league one.

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 22:08 - Mar 23 with 896 viewsBlue

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 17:57 - Mar 13 by Butty101

The evidence was there to be seen after you got hacked in 2015/16. Google it if you don’t believe me. All the broadsheets reported it.

I see you are saying we are all jealous- not at all I’m genuinely surprised you don’t think financial doping took place. I haven’t got a problem with city winning, beats the usual mob winning.

If there was 'evidence to be seen' then the ban would have been upheld, I'mn struggling to see how you cannot understand that.

I'm not saying saints fans are jealous at all, please read my reply again, and notice what it says, rather than what you want it to mean.

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 22:10 - Mar 23 with 891 viewsBlue

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 18:03 - Mar 13 by Butty101

“ The Court of Arbitration for Sport on Monday upheld City's appeal against a ban by European football's governing body, UEFA, but imposed a fine of 10 million euros ($11.3m) for failing to cooperate with investigators”

What Nick said is correct. You failed to cooperate. You need to check your facts blue

No, YOU do.

I said City were found innocent of the charges laid around FFP, that, is fact.

I've already said my views on not co-operating with a pre-judged investigation.

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 22:12 - Mar 23 with 887 viewsBlue

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 10:47 - Mar 14 by dirk_doone

By the way, if you really want to see a bunch of total bedwetters and whingers, try looking at the Liverpool fans' forum:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=347137.0
[Post edited 14 Mar 2021 10:47]

Quite possibly the worst football forum out there.

I bet nick posts on it.

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 22:56 - Mar 23 with 868 viewsButty101

Why Southampton's Trip To The Etihad Shows The Premier League Is Dying on 22:10 - Mar 23 by Blue

No, YOU do.

I said City were found innocent of the charges laid around FFP, that, is fact.

I've already said my views on not co-operating with a pre-judged investigation.

So why did City get a big fine then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024