Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton V Leeds United The Verdict 09:40 - May 19 with 744 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/55089/southampton-v-leed

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton V Leeds United The Verdict on 12:16 - May 19 with 657 viewsSonicBoom

I try not to be too harsh as I have a tendency to be and I know Nick hates moaners!
I have to say though that at the end of the season some things are clear to me.
McCarthy - not up to it. Basic errors. Either he's a rarely used back up or get rid.
Stephens - similar. He's like a pound-shop John Stones. Yes he looks ok under no pressure but as soon as things happen quickly around him he doesn't know which way to go and is usually caught out of position.
Our wide players are supposed to be providers yet it seems the one thing they all share is an inability to find the right pass at the right time. I'm talking about Djenepo, Walcott and Redmond. All three have a poor final pass which isn't ideal when really that is their actual job.
Djenepo is still trading on a few good goals in his first few games, but since then has created virtually nothing.
Redmond well I know Nick defends him but dear me. I'm fed up with him. I don't really care about his confidence levels etc or if the crowd is nasty to him. That comes with the territory of the career he's chosen. He cannot shoot. He can't. Constantly too high or drags it wide. And I'm talking from inside the box! OK he scored the odd goal but how often are they crucial. It's ok scoring the third in a 3-0 win but he never delivers when we are up against it. Get rid.
Walcott well he's cheap so there's that. But he's 32, and he's not going to get any better is he. I'm sure he's good with the kids but that makes him a good player liaison officer, not a premier league player worth 50 grand a week.
Vestergaard I'd probably keep but mostly as he's the best of a bad bunch at CB.
All of those players have has more than ample opportunity now and none make an impact.

There are positives. Salisu does look very promising. KWP has been very good as has JWP.
Armstrong looks a real player and often is our most creative.
Adams looks so much better when he is not the main man up front. In fact there is no one better at finding a great pass in the final third. Without Ings though he looks half the player.
Tella I wasn't sure about but I can see he's gaining confidence and does have great potential. And Ings of course, the one player we have that can create a goal for himself from nothing. Unfortunately he is often starved chances as we lose confidence around the opposition box and pass backwards again or sideways.
Diallo I'm not sure. I don't really understand what Ralph is trying to do. Is he a defensive midfielder or an attacking one? His shooting has been poor but he does have a trick and likes a tackle. He doesn't create though and I didn't understand bringing him on last night when we were losing. He generally brings him on to protect a lead.
I do wonder if the manager places such emphasis on ball retention that the midfielders are terrified to be the one that tries something and gives it way, so they take no risk and consequently we create nothing.

Nick said 2 players in but I would say that we really could do with 5 if we are not be in the lower third again next year. We must move on from players that have no impact in games.
[Post edited 19 May 2021 12:20]
Southampton V Leeds United The Verdict on 12:32 - May 19 with 641 viewssaintwizzler

Southampton V Leeds United The Verdict on 12:16 - May 19 by SonicBoom

I try not to be too harsh as I have a tendency to be and I know Nick hates moaners!
McCarthy - not up to it. Basic errors. Either he's a rarely used back up or get rid.
Stephens - similar. He's like a pound-shop John Stones. Yes he looks ok under no pressure but as soon as things happen quickly around him he doesn't know which way to go and is usually caught out of position.
Our wide players are supposed to be providers yet it seems the one thing they all share is an inability to find the right pass at the right time. I'm talking about Djenepo, Walcott and Redmond. All three have a poor final pass which isn't ideal when really that is their actual job.
Djenepo is still trading on a few good goals in his first few games, but since then has created virtually nothing.
Redmond well I know Nick defends him but dear me. I'm fed up with him. I don't really care about his confidence levels etc or if the crowd is nasty to him. That comes with the territory of the career he's chosen. He cannot shoot. He can't. Constantly too high or drags it wide. And I'm talking from inside the box! OK he scored the odd goal but how often are they crucial. It's ok scoring the third in a 3-0 win but he never delivers when we are up against it. Get rid.
Walcott well he's cheap so there's that. But he's 32, and he's not going to get any better is he. I'm sure he's good with the kids but that makes him a good player liaison officer, not a premier league player worth 50 grand a week.
All of those players have has more than ample opportunity now and none make an impact.

There are positives. Salisu does look very promising. KWP has been very good as has JWP.
Adams looks so much better when he is not the main man up front. In fact there is no one better at finding a great pass in the final third. Without Ings though he looks half the player.
Tella I wasn't sure about but I can see he's gaining confidence and does have great potential. And Ings of course, the one player we have that can create a goal for himself from nothing. Unfortunately he is often starved chances as we lose confidence around the opposition box and pass backwards again or sideways.
Diallo I'm not sure. I don't really understand what Ralph is trying to do. Is he a defensive midfielder or an attacking one? His shooting has been poor but he does have a trick and likes a tackle. He doesn't create though and I didn't understand bringing him on last night when we were losing. He generally brings him on to protect a lead.
I do wonder if the manager places such emphasis on ball retention that the midfielders are terrified to be the one that tries something and gives it way, so they take no risk and consequently we create nothing.

Nick said 2 players in but I would say that we really could do with 5 if we are not be in the lower third again next year. We must move on from players that have no impact in games.

5 players in if JWP and Ings stay!

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Southampton V Leeds United The Verdict on 12:45 - May 19 with 628 viewssaint22

A very astute accurate post
Two players in would just scrape us through if Vest Ings stay but in a real world we need at least 5 and good ones too no point shipping out dross for more to come in
Djenepo i read has now scored once in 40 apps! I posted elsewhere that our wide players are all the same and thats not very good
Southampton V Leeds United The Verdict on 12:55 - May 19 with 622 viewsTimSaint

Southampton V Leeds United The Verdict on 12:45 - May 19 by saint22

A very astute accurate post
Two players in would just scrape us through if Vest Ings stay but in a real world we need at least 5 and good ones too no point shipping out dross for more to come in
Djenepo i read has now scored once in 40 apps! I posted elsewhere that our wide players are all the same and thats not very good

How about we actually buy a LEFT FOOTED wide player, to play on the left wing ?

All our current wide men are right footed: Armstrong, Walcott, Redmond, Djenepo, Tella, Minamino, even Valery and Sims !!

Even Elyounoussi is right footed !!

Now Bert is off, only McQueen is left footed and capable of playing a wide role, but he is not going to play for us again. I guess Vokins could too, but he is a defender and was shipped out on loan.
[Post edited 19 May 2021 13:00]

TimSaint

Southampton V Leeds United The Verdict on 13:26 - May 19 with 587 viewssaint22

Southampton V Leeds United The Verdict on 12:55 - May 19 by TimSaint

How about we actually buy a LEFT FOOTED wide player, to play on the left wing ?

All our current wide men are right footed: Armstrong, Walcott, Redmond, Djenepo, Tella, Minamino, even Valery and Sims !!

Even Elyounoussi is right footed !!

Now Bert is off, only McQueen is left footed and capable of playing a wide role, but he is not going to play for us again. I guess Vokins could too, but he is a defender and was shipped out on loan.
[Post edited 19 May 2021 13:00]

We need two left backs, a left winger, a CDM, a new attacker, a keeper and maybe another striker
Being thats about the total of players we have bought in the last 6 summers, next season does not look good already
Southampton V Leeds United The Verdict on 13:36 - May 19 with 582 viewsA1079

Excellent post SonicBoom and in my view an accurate reflection of where we are.

I would just add (and I am not suggesting he should go at all) but Ralph needs to get his act together as well. No more excuses. Not on just the odd occasion but with too much regularity his tactics have been found wanting, his substitutions or timing of them often bewildering and too many bad results that I really don't want to see next season. We have given Ralph alot of support (rightly too) but we now need to see some real pay back.
Southampton V Leeds United The Verdict on 15:42 - May 19 with 536 views1teeminants

We need two left backs , a back up right back and another striker to help Ings and Adams. Someone who can chip in with 15 goals, we probably can’t afford anything over 10 million so it will have to be a unknown gem like Mane . I think we need another midfielder too so I would say 5 players.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Southampton V Leeds United The Verdict on 16:37 - May 19 with 506 viewssaintwizzler

Southampton V Leeds United The Verdict on 15:42 - May 19 by 1teeminants

We need two left backs , a back up right back and another striker to help Ings and Adams. Someone who can chip in with 15 goals, we probably can’t afford anything over 10 million so it will have to be a unknown gem like Mane . I think we need another midfielder too so I would say 5 players.

And a goalkeeper

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024