Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quatar 2022 08:07 - Nov 21 with 2797 viewsHeisenberg

World Cup starts one year from today. In stadiums built by slaves where many have perished in appalling conditions. Stadiums that will never be used again once the tournament ends. In a country where homosexuality is banned and severely punished. They are going to lift restrictions on non married straight couples sharing a room and alcohol will be permitted in ‘fan zones’ or hotel bars. Don’t forget to dress appropriately with shoulders and knees covered. The good news is games will kick off at 7.00 in the morning so it’s easy to ignore it. Wonder if the England team will wear rainbow laces ? That will really make a difference.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Quatar 2022 on 08:40 - Nov 21 with 2226 viewssaint68

In a country with the greatest per capita carbon emissions on the planet...

Definitely no backhanders involved at all H.

I'll give it a miss.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Quatar 2022 on 08:42 - Nov 21 with 2229 viewsJaySaint

At least the players/staff/various FA's will take a stand. They will take the knee and have 'meetings' about it.

That will fix it

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Quatar 2022 on 09:31 - Nov 21 with 2196 viewsCity_boy

Don't worry, David Beckham will sort it all out now he is being paid millions as one of their ambassadors.

What an absolute snake and mercenary that guy is.
Quatar 2022 on 10:21 - Nov 21 with 2157 viewssaint68

Quatar 2022 on 09:31 - Nov 21 by City_boy

Don't worry, David Beckham will sort it all out now he is being paid millions as one of their ambassadors.

What an absolute snake and mercenary that guy is.

I expect his missus was the instigator of that deal..pair of cooonts.

Quatar 2022 on 10:32 - Nov 21 with 2153 viewsCity_boy

Quatar 2022 on 10:21 - Nov 21 by saint68

I expect his missus was the instigator of that deal..pair of cooonts.

Probably not far wrong given the losses/debts her business has racked up.
Quatar 2022 on 10:38 - Nov 21 with 2150 viewscocklebreath

Would be great if it was ignored by the media but it wont, all the gimps will be singing 3 lions and throwing beer at each other

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Quatar 2022 on 10:52 - Nov 21 with 2127 viewssaint68

Quatar 2022 on 10:38 - Nov 21 by cocklebreath

Would be great if it was ignored by the media but it wont, all the gimps will be singing 3 lions and throwing beer at each other

It simply needs boycotting..anything else is sheer hypocrisy.

Quatar 2022 on 11:42 - Nov 21 with 2092 viewskingolaf

All I can do to is personally boycott it.

An absolute scandal, and also a disgrace that no individual associations have boycotted it, including our own.
Login to get fewer ads

Quatar 2022 on 14:48 - Nov 21 with 1999 viewsJellybaby

How is Gary Linekar going to do his preachy woke virtue signalling waffle for this one?

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

Quatar 2022 on 18:46 - Nov 21 with 1902 views1885_SFC

Quatar 2022 on 14:48 - Nov 21 by Jellybaby

How is Gary Linekar going to do his preachy woke virtue signalling waffle for this one?

BBC, ITV, TalkSport, SKY, pundits, ex-pros, and especially the likes of Lineker & Beckham, they'll do anything for the filthy lucre & will sleep soundly knowing that their bank balances are swelling by the day. Beckham is too thick to even point at a map as to where Qatar is - and Lineker will just say blandly that he's only doing a job and giving the people/fans what they want.

Old School is Cool

Quatar 2022 on 22:53 - Nov 21 with 1852 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Quatar 2022 on 10:38 - Nov 21 by cocklebreath

This. Sadly. NOW is the time for everyone to start kicking off and boycotting the circus.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Quatar 2022 on 09:12 - Nov 22 with 1775 viewsSadoldgit

Quatar 2022 on 14:48 - Nov 21 by Jellybaby

Wow! What do you expect him to say? He is paid to present a football programme. The fact that he expresses his views on Twitter is a completely different thing all together. You spend your time on social media being “preachy”. Don’t think it is hypocritical to accuse someone else for expressing his opinions too?
I don’t think it was a great idea to chose Qatar to host the next WC for a number of reasons, but having done so it is an opportunity for the rest of the world to focus on this country and maybe it will help bring in some changes. Football still has its own problems with racism and homophobia so it is hardly in a position to preach to the rest of the world about social issues so who knows, perhaps this World Cup will brings changes across the board.
Quatar 2022 on 10:18 - Nov 22 with 1748 viewsPaleRider

Lineker is a hypocritical, biased cvnt. I don't understand why you are supporting him.

There is no way I will watch any of the games in Qatar - it's an absolute disgrace that it is being held there and I would be more than happy if England boycotted it. Any player/coach/etc. that goes should get maximum abuse for going. This world cup has highlighted the horrible hypocrisy that exists in elite level football.
Quatar 2022 on 10:30 - Nov 22 with 1745 viewsBicester_North

Quatar 2022 on 10:18 - Nov 22 by PaleRider

Lineker is a hypocritical, biased cvnt. I don't understand why you are supporting him.

There is no way I will watch any of the games in Qatar - it's an absolute disgrace that it is being held there and I would be more than happy if England boycotted it. Any player/coach/etc. that goes should get maximum abuse for going. This world cup has highlighted the horrible hypocrisy that exists in elite level football.

What if each player takes a knee at the airport passport desk and as they check into their luxury hotels?
That should show the Qatar slavers how tough they are, but only with American police cases when a lot of celebrities got involved in social media.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Quatar 2022 on 10:32 - Nov 22 with 1739 viewsPaleRider

Quatar 2022 on 10:30 - Nov 22 by Bicester_North

What if each player takes a knee at the airport passport desk and as they check into their luxury hotels?
That should show the Qatar slavers how tough they are, but only with American police cases when a lot of celebrities got involved in social media.

Quatar 2022 on 10:46 - Nov 22 with 1728 viewsSadoldgit

Quatar 2022 on 10:18 - Nov 22 by PaleRider

I think he is an excellent presenter on MOTD. Unlike many ex pros he is intelligent, erudite and has a sense of humour. He was also a quality player, unlike many of the average ex pros that tv seem to wheel out as pundits nowadays.
Quatar 2022 on 11:47 - Nov 22 with 1695 viewsblambo

Have a lie-in every morning for the duration of the (hideously bloated) tournament and miss the whole sorry thing.
Quatar 2022 on 12:37 - Nov 22 with 1667 viewsKennington

I must be in the minority then, as I’m looking forward to the World Cup. But much like the construction workers who weren’t forced to travel to take dangerous construction jobs to earn a lot more than jobs back home to build the stadia, no one is forced to watch the games on telly. I’m not in any way condoning the neglecting of Heath and Safety which clearly has happened. But I’m sure if we look back at the building of many of Britain’s most impressive historical buildings we’ll no doubt find similar. The issue with Qatar is they haven’t caught up to the western standards, but other than shiny malls, they’re not western, so there’s no point trying to judge them through western standards.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Qatar 2022 on 13:15 - Nov 22 with 1652 viewsdirk_doone

Qatar obviously spent a lot of money to get it and, apart from the human rights issues, it is ridculous that such a tiny country is building so many stadiums just for one tournament but it could fairly be argued that it was both the Islamic world and Middle East's turn to host a World Cup and Qatar was considered a safer and more diplomatic option than the otherwise more logical choice, Saudi Arabia.

I've visited most of the countries in the world, including all of the ones in the Middle East, and Qatar was the most boring one. Visiting fans are not going to find much to do there, apart from visit Qatar's only tourist attraction - the newest and biggest museum of Islamic art in the world - or sit in airconditioned hotels, where, if they pick the right one, they might be able to buy an expensive alcoholic drink. It's a pity that the tournament couldn't be held in Iran because the atmosphere at the stadiums there would rival Argentina in 1978, it is a fascinating country and Iranians are some of the friendliest people in the world. But, of course, they are not rich and all of the normal Islamic restrictions on women's rights and the consumption of alcohol would apply.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 13:30]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Quatar 2022 on 13:54 - Nov 22 with 1618 views1885_SFC

I reckon Saudi would have been a preferred option for FIFA who surely would have pocketed bribes beyond their wildest dreams... had it not been for the ongoing war next door with Yemen. Same applies to Oman. I spent time in both countries years ago (as well as Bahrain) and I wouldn't have awarded it to any of them - not just yet. They're not ready.

One thing worth watching will be how the local police deal with hoards of drunken football fans on the streets. When I was in Saudi, the British builders out there working for Wimpey, Taylor-Woodrow, etc. secretly brewed their own illegal hooch which was mental stuff!!!

Old School is Cool

Quatar 2022 on 14:28 - Nov 22 with 1603 viewsSadoldgit

I don’t really follow F1 but were there any protests about a Grand Prix being held in Qatar? I saw that Hamilton wore a rainbow coloured helmet (fnar fnar) but apart from that haven’t seen anything suggesting that the motor racing fraternity had a problem with racing there.
Watch it or not, it is happening and the time to kick off was when (or before) the contract was awarded. It seems a bit silly to expect teams to say, now we have qualified we are not going to play there. Not sure what else anyone can do now. If individuals don’t switch on their TVs it won’t make the slightest bit of difference as there will still be a huge audience for it. Perhaps they should follow Hamilton’s lead and all wear rainbow coloured boots?
Quatar 2022 on 14:53 - Nov 22 with 1589 viewsPaleRider

Quatar 2022 on 14:28 - Nov 22 by Sadoldgit

I don’t really follow F1 but were there any protests about a Grand Prix being held in Qatar? I saw that Hamilton wore a rainbow coloured helmet (fnar fnar) but apart from that haven’t seen anything suggesting that the motor racing fraternity had a problem with racing there.
Watch it or not, it is happening and the time to kick off was when (or before) the contract was awarded. It seems a bit silly to expect teams to say, now we have qualified we are not going to play there. Not sure what else anyone can do now. If individuals don’t switch on their TVs it won’t make the slightest bit of difference as there will still be a huge audience for it. Perhaps they should follow Hamilton’s lead and all wear rainbow coloured boots?

I don't follow F1 either but if you're using them as a comparison it's a bit desperate as they are the epitome of a sport which only has money at heart!

Elite sports have an option to try and set a morale standard and awarding the World Cup to Qatar clearly flew in the face of this. I think they should be doing this as should so-called leading media organisations such as the BBC. Their whole rhetoric on the Qatar World Cup and the Saudi take over of Newcastle has been fawning and weak.

I'm not a fan of taking a knee. On Saturday the players literally just dropped to their knees and stood up again - a pointless and pathetic gesture. The only way to make change is by taking significant actions - such as the WTA seem to be doing with China.
Quatar 2022 on 15:05 - Nov 22 with 1580 viewsSadoldgit

Quatar 2022 on 14:53 - Nov 22 by PaleRider

I don't follow F1 either but if you're using them as a comparison it's a bit desperate as they are the epitome of a sport which only has money at heart!

Elite sports have an option to try and set a morale standard and awarding the World Cup to Qatar clearly flew in the face of this. I think they should be doing this as should so-called leading media organisations such as the BBC. Their whole rhetoric on the Qatar World Cup and the Saudi take over of Newcastle has been fawning and weak.

I'm not a fan of taking a knee. On Saturday the players literally just dropped to their knees and stood up again - a pointless and pathetic gesture. The only way to make change is by taking significant actions - such as the WTA seem to be doing with China.

I wasn’t referring to the F1 organisers. As with the football, they are just looking at the £ signs. I was thinking more about the others, those taking part and watching. We are being told that it is hypocritical if we support the whole kick racism out of football thing but then watch the World Cup in Qatar.
Quatar 2022 on 15:27 - Nov 22 with 1559 viewsdirk_doone

Quatar 2022 on 13:54 - Nov 22 by 1885_SFC

I reckon Saudi would have been a preferred option for FIFA who surely would have pocketed bribes beyond their wildest dreams... had it not been for the ongoing war next door with Yemen. Same applies to Oman. I spent time in both countries years ago (as well as Bahrain) and I wouldn't have awarded it to any of them - not just yet. They're not ready.

One thing worth watching will be how the local police deal with hoards of drunken football fans on the streets. When I was in Saudi, the British builders out there working for Wimpey, Taylor-Woodrow, etc. secretly brewed their own illegal hooch which was mental stuff!!!

Siddiqui, or sid for short, is not really so secret. The authorities know about it but turn a blind eye to it as long as it's not openly sold to Saudis. There was a massive explosion at the British Aerospace distillery in Dhahran, which everybody knew about but, after repairs, it reopened.

The princes, of whom there are thousands in Saudi, have regular lorriy shipments bringing in crates of whisky for the well-stocked bars in their palaces and villas. so they don't need siddiqui.

Of course, in all of these countries, the British embassy has a bar, to which, in the countries with a smaller expat population, like Yemen, all expats are invited at least one night a week. In Saudi it has to be restricted to VIPs.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 16:02]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Qatar 2022 on 16:14 - Nov 22 with 1521 viewsBuenosSaint

Qatar 2022 on 13:15 - Nov 22 by dirk_doone

Qatar obviously spent a lot of money to get it and, apart from the human rights issues, it is ridculous that such a tiny country is building so many stadiums just for one tournament but it could fairly be argued that it was both the Islamic world and Middle East's turn to host a World Cup and Qatar was considered a safer and more diplomatic option than the otherwise more logical choice, Saudi Arabia.

I've visited most of the countries in the world, including all of the ones in the Middle East, and Qatar was the most boring one. Visiting fans are not going to find much to do there, apart from visit Qatar's only tourist attraction - the newest and biggest museum of Islamic art in the world - or sit in airconditioned hotels, where, if they pick the right one, they might be able to buy an expensive alcoholic drink. It's a pity that the tournament couldn't be held in Iran because the atmosphere at the stadiums there would rival Argentina in 1978, it is a fascinating country and Iranians are some of the friendliest people in the world. But, of course, they are not rich and all of the normal Islamic restrictions on women's rights and the consumption of alcohol would apply.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 13:30]

I was in the iranian end for Iran vs USA at France 98. And it was absolutely rocking. Totally agree with you Dirk. Extremely friendly people. Aside from a few annoying political chants and banners it was a great event to be at.

Poll: The Long Future

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024