Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton v Brighton The Verdict 08:50 - Dec 6 with 754 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/56453/southampton-v-brig

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 09:23 - Dec 6 with 711 viewsSadoldgit

I agree that he shouldn't have called McCarthy out like that. I expect he was as frustrated as the rest of us. But why oh why didn’t McCarthy go down and get the physios on? Ralph was right, it was hugely unprofessional and cost us the points in the end. What is more worrying is that we are coming up to a busy Christmas period with lots of injuries and suspensions.
Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 09:29 - Dec 6 with 699 viewssaintwizzler

We are becoming a laughing stock.
Brentford game is massive.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 09:52 - Dec 6 with 672 viewssaint22

I am not firmly in the Ralph in or out club I can’t decide but these continued same errors of judgement and stubbornness really do now have a worrying trend and I just don’t think Ralph can either change or knows what to do
The failure to freshen things up in the second half when everyone can see midfielders tiring leading to fouls and misplaced passes is staggering game after game
Players being moved around out of position and the keeper issue is beginning to make me think Ralph only knows one way
But if he doesn’t change his ways soon we will end up with a second half the season like last year and then we will be in trouble
Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 09:59 - Dec 6 with 666 viewsSonicBoom

I imagine other teams are starting to see us as a soft touch. Even when we dominate we don't capitalise and then we run out of steam.
This trend of playing well first half and then not being able to see it out in the second halves is really worrying and must sap the confidence from the team.
I really don't think Ralph knows what to do to solve it.

One thing we could do is put the bloody ball in the net. The chances we waste is ridiculous. There have been several games recently where we really should have been 3 up by half time and things would have turned out much differently.
I liked Adam Armstrong as a signing but he's not delivering so should be rested. Adams has a few recently but he too misses really good chances and overall that makes the difference between 10th and 17th.
Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 10:09 - Dec 6 with 648 viewsSadoldgit

That is the problem. We don’t put teams away when we are on top. 1-0 is never enough in the Prem. no matter how poor the opposition is they always get a chance or two and, like Saturday, with a bit of luck they go in.
Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 10:25 - Dec 6 with 633 viewssaint901

Certainly a draw that felt like a loss.

Now we have a couple of key suspensions and a keeper crisis but ...

I've seen enough in Diallo and Ely to cover Romeu. SSalisu might be replaced by Stephens or perhaps Jan will be fit? To be honest I've really gone off Salisu - he panics and spreads that to others in the team.

If Lewis plays, could he really be worse than AM? I think the answer is perhaps yes, especially at the Emirates, so a temp replacement is probably required.

I really hope RH does not go for the high press at Arsenal. Whilst Arsenal are not Liverpool, they still have enough to hurt us if we throw players forward.

Ultimately, we're a third into the season and (just) better than a point a game. That should be enough
Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 10:52 - Dec 6 with 605 viewsgrumpy

Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 10:25 - Dec 6 by saint901

Certainly a draw that felt like a loss.

Now we have a couple of key suspensions and a keeper crisis but ...

I've seen enough in Diallo and Ely to cover Romeu. SSalisu might be replaced by Stephens or perhaps Jan will be fit? To be honest I've really gone off Salisu - he panics and spreads that to others in the team.

If Lewis plays, could he really be worse than AM? I think the answer is perhaps yes, especially at the Emirates, so a temp replacement is probably required.

I really hope RH does not go for the high press at Arsenal. Whilst Arsenal are not Liverpool, they still have enough to hurt us if we throw players forward.

Ultimately, we're a third into the season and (just) better than a point a game. That should be enough

Are you in cloud cuckoo land?
Salisu dropped for Stevens....
Lewis any worse them McCarthy ....
A third into the season and (just) better than a point a game. That should be enough.....
Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 11:23 - Dec 6 with 553 viewssaintwizzler

Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 10:52 - Dec 6 by grumpy

Are you in cloud cuckoo land?
Salisu dropped for Stevens....
Lewis any worse them McCarthy ....
A third into the season and (just) better than a point a game. That should be enough.....

Salisu and Romeu are suspended for the Arsenal game so you would think Stephens and Diallo would come in.
But who knows?!?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Login to get fewer ads

Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 11:36 - Dec 6 with 534 viewssaint901

Salisu is suspended because he was booked for a petty offence in throwing the ball away. This came when what we needed was cool heads and discipline and let's be honest, he's not exactly a stranger to a 15 minute headless chicken act at the end of a tight game. For an hour he looks competent and in control. In the last phase of the game against Brighton and in previous games, he does not.

If we could get a couple of goals ahead then it would not matter so much, but we can't and it does.

A point a game? Again, be honest, it's where we're at because we can't score and can't keep clean sheets. Will it be enough? I hope so. I think Newcastle barring a miracle are down. Probably Watford as well. It will be us, Burnley, Leeds (Everton on current form) and there's always a team who has a meltdown in the second half of the season. So consistent draws and the odd win to balance losses against the top 6 I think are enough.
Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 12:36 - Dec 6 with 487 viewssaint22

Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 11:36 - Dec 6 by saint901

Salisu is suspended because he was booked for a petty offence in throwing the ball away. This came when what we needed was cool heads and discipline and let's be honest, he's not exactly a stranger to a 15 minute headless chicken act at the end of a tight game. For an hour he looks competent and in control. In the last phase of the game against Brighton and in previous games, he does not.

If we could get a couple of goals ahead then it would not matter so much, but we can't and it does.

A point a game? Again, be honest, it's where we're at because we can't score and can't keep clean sheets. Will it be enough? I hope so. I think Newcastle barring a miracle are down. Probably Watford as well. It will be us, Burnley, Leeds (Everton on current form) and there's always a team who has a meltdown in the second half of the season. So consistent draws and the odd win to balance losses against the top 6 I think are enough.

Pretty spot on there and I hope you are right
Unfortunately once again we are in desperate need of new blood in January and you know what that means, fork all until the 31st and some half arsed loanee in
Who was it that said learn from your mistakes because it appears no one at Southampton ever listened
Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 12:59 - Dec 6 with 468 viewsA1079

I feel your pain Nick and it is empathetic of how many of us felt on Saturday. I simply could not be bothered to say much about it. Those last few minutes, our lack of discipline, lack of communication and the failure to do the simple things add into our inability to score when we are on top and put the game to bed has and is and will continue to cost us dear.

I am sorry, but Ralph hanging out McCarthy in the way he did is plain wrong. I suspect some of it was anger, disappointment etc and it coming out in a post match interview but quite what that will have done to player/manager relations will be interesting. The irony is, that as many of us know, there have been many times when McCarthy could be criticised and whilst he is not blameless here, it is the circumstances that lead up to the goal which were arguably more of a cause for the equaliser. Romeu giving away the free kick and then JWP behaving anything like a captain but more like a headless chicken were the main causes (quite what is wrong with JWP this season heaven knows - he has not had a good game yet and is certainly not showing captain material. I don't think he has even delivered a decent corner of free kick - supposedly his hallmarks).

It is nigh on impossible to see where a win will come from. Every team has worked us out.
Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 13:11 - Dec 6 with 460 viewsgrumpy

Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 12:59 - Dec 6 by A1079

I feel your pain Nick and it is empathetic of how many of us felt on Saturday. I simply could not be bothered to say much about it. Those last few minutes, our lack of discipline, lack of communication and the failure to do the simple things add into our inability to score when we are on top and put the game to bed has and is and will continue to cost us dear.

I am sorry, but Ralph hanging out McCarthy in the way he did is plain wrong. I suspect some of it was anger, disappointment etc and it coming out in a post match interview but quite what that will have done to player/manager relations will be interesting. The irony is, that as many of us know, there have been many times when McCarthy could be criticised and whilst he is not blameless here, it is the circumstances that lead up to the goal which were arguably more of a cause for the equaliser. Romeu giving away the free kick and then JWP behaving anything like a captain but more like a headless chicken were the main causes (quite what is wrong with JWP this season heaven knows - he has not had a good game yet and is certainly not showing captain material. I don't think he has even delivered a decent corner of free kick - supposedly his hallmarks).

It is nigh on impossible to see where a win will come from. Every team has worked us out.

What has happened to JWP?
Remember when he used to score from free kicks and delivered decent corners.
He's no Captain
Southampton v Brighton The Verdict on 13:35 - Dec 6 with 432 viewsTimSaint

Bottom line is we are predictable. We will do well in the 1st half and maybe score 1 goal if we are lucky, but then, I don't know what is in the half time cuppa, but we are a different side in the 2nd half.
The opposition know this and that is why so many teams adopt tactics that try to thwart us and time waste against us in the 1st half (Villa, Leicester and Brighton have all done this recently). They can then unleash the reigns and go for it more in the 2nd half, knowing that we always gift them chances, or let in sloppy goals.

I am not even sure the team knew they were up against 10 men once BHA had their man stretchered off, they certainly didn't play like it. We could easily have killed the game off, but were content to hoof it into the corners and hope that one of the forwards would race onto it. We didn't even attempt to box them in and although some of the places BHA took their free kicks and throw ins from were questionable, we too often played into their (and the referee's) hands and gave them reason - and indeed belief !!

The one time that we should have hit the channels like we had been doing previously, we didn't. JWP gave it away and it resulted in the foul and yellow for Rom, poor organisation for the free kick and complete failure to defend after the wall did it's job.

Oh well, I doubt we would have got anything at Arsenal anyway, so we may as well have a few out against them, than the more important games away to Palace and home to Brentford. We simply must get results against the teams around us.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 14:20]

TimSaint

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024