Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to unleash Onuachu? 19:47 - Apr 12 with 938 viewsresearchersaint

Just released this article which looked at the plan Sellés put together which worked very well for 44 minutes against Manchester City but argues that it is time to compromise some of our focus on what we do out of possession in order to be more threatening in attack. Does that mean unleashing Onuachu? Let me know what you think!

https://analyticsunited.co.uk/2023/04/12/saints-must-take-the-handbrake-off/
Time to unleash Onuachu? on 20:05 - Apr 12 with 901 viewsPatfromPoole

I think Selles has dug his heels in and just isn’t going to pick him.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Time to unleash Onuachu? on 20:20 - Apr 12 with 889 viewsDorsetIan

It's time to admit the failure of Ralph-ball (we'd get 10 more points max if we persevere with that) and go all in trying to get the ball onto the big man's head.

I reckon 6 goals from Onuachu keep us up.

There's not much to lose tbh.

And get Tony Pulis in for the last 8 games too, if that's what it takes!

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Time to unleash Onuachu? on 21:12 - Apr 12 with 817 viewsSouthamptonfan

Time to unleash Onuachu? on 20:20 - Apr 12 by DorsetIan

It's time to admit the failure of Ralph-ball (we'd get 10 more points max if we persevere with that) and go all in trying to get the ball onto the big man's head.

I reckon 6 goals from Onuachu keep us up.

There's not much to lose tbh.

And get Tony Pulis in for the last 8 games too, if that's what it takes!

I'd love to see an all out attack, go for it approach, as we have to win the game. I'm sure we all remember, beating Man U 3 1 at the Dell, with a storming attacking performance first half. We desperately needed the points that day and we made sure we got them.

The other point of view though, is that nowadays (there is some truth in this I think, especially when we play the best sides), is that because our defence is terrible, we might get torn apart if we leave lots of gaps at the back, if we pile forward too much.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2023 21:14]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Time to unleash Onuachu? on 21:17 - Apr 12 with 809 views1885_SFC

Ebere Paul Onuachu - to give him his full name - makes for some strange word anagrams when you enter his name...

Beanpole

European chub

Unrecoupable

Cheap labour

There's a cryptic message in there somewhere...

Old School is Cool

Time to unleash Onuachu? on 22:44 - Apr 12 with 744 viewsIfonly

Selles doesn't know we're in the last chance saloon because he insists he doesn't look at the table! Of course we should have been making use of Onuachu already but he doesn't fit Selles' set tactics so he's not going to be picked. The best to be hoped for is that he comes on in the last 20 mins as against West Ham. But even then Selles declined to make use of him - putting the defensive AMN on instead of Orsic or anyone who could give Onuachu crosses etc.

It's unrealistic to expect Selles to suddenly ditch his high press (which he would have to do if Onuachu started) and too late to get another manager. We are where we are. We'll be seeing the likes of Moi and Theo out there instead of Onuachu. Let's hope it's one of those rare games where the tactic works.
Time to unleash Onuachu? on 23:00 - Apr 12 with 737 viewsPatfromPoole

Time to unleash Onuachu? on 22:44 - Apr 12 by Ifonly

Selles doesn't know we're in the last chance saloon because he insists he doesn't look at the table! Of course we should have been making use of Onuachu already but he doesn't fit Selles' set tactics so he's not going to be picked. The best to be hoped for is that he comes on in the last 20 mins as against West Ham. But even then Selles declined to make use of him - putting the defensive AMN on instead of Orsic or anyone who could give Onuachu crosses etc.

It's unrealistic to expect Selles to suddenly ditch his high press (which he would have to do if Onuachu started) and too late to get another manager. We are where we are. We'll be seeing the likes of Moi and Theo out there instead of Onuachu. Let's hope it's one of those rare games where the tactic works.

We don’t really play a high press though.

I don’t think we have for about 15 months; when we were really good for about 6 weeks……

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Time to unleash Onuachu? on 09:44 - Apr 13 with 608 viewsIfonly

Time to unleash Onuachu? on 23:00 - Apr 12 by PatfromPoole

We don’t really play a high press though.

I don’t think we have for about 15 months; when we were really good for about 6 weeks……

It still looks to me like a high press. It's just a variant of the all out press we had at one stage under Ralph. Selles wants to press as high as he thinks will work given the opposition. He wants the forwards to win the ball back, not the defenders. It's a different thing to dropping back and closing space in our defensive third and breaking from there, as many of our opposition do. That means he selects players based on their ability to press, rather than their ability to create and score.

The press worked sometimes under Ralph, but often not. Usually we would be level or on top at half time and then became tired with the effort of it. A tired press is a bad press. The record speaks for itself ...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024