Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Safe standing 07:41 - Apr 12 with 1139 viewsPatfromPoole

I seem to recall this being mooted by Steele (sigh…..) at a previous fans’ forum.

Would relegation put an end to this?

Shame if so.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Safe standing on 08:52 - Apr 12 with 1066 viewsSaintNick

Not neccessarily, there are Championship clubs with safe standing, however it might be put on the back burner because of cost, which as you say would be a shame

What you would find though is that safe standing could be used as a tool to sanitise other areas, you can bet your bottom dollar that the Itchen North would not be designated safe standing and that would be an opportunity to really enforce sitting down in that area with the excuse that if you want to stand there is now an area set aside

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Safe standing on 09:26 - Apr 12 with 1049 viewsPatfromPoole

Safe standing on 08:52 - Apr 12 by SaintNick

Not neccessarily, there are Championship clubs with safe standing, however it might be put on the back burner because of cost, which as you say would be a shame

What you would find though is that safe standing could be used as a tool to sanitise other areas, you can bet your bottom dollar that the Itchen North would not be designated safe standing and that would be an opportunity to really enforce sitting down in that area with the excuse that if you want to stand there is now an area set aside

Mmmm, I have often thought the club could sanitise things a lot by putting family areas in the Northam / Itchen North and putting safe standing in the Chapel.

If so, I think they should take the roof off the Northam and let the away fans have no shelter. Would make our ground look a lot quirkier and make life immeasurably less comfortable for the away fans, a win-win, I feel.

Safe standing on 09:59 - Apr 12 with 1036 viewsSaintNick

Safe standing on 09:26 - Apr 12 by PatfromPoole

Mmmm, I have often thought the club could sanitise things a lot by putting family areas in the Northam / Itchen North and putting safe standing in the Chapel.

If so, I think they should take the roof off the Northam and let the away fans have no shelter. Would make our ground look a lot quirkier and make life immeasurably less comfortable for the away fans, a win-win, I feel.

That isnt a bad idea perhaps a retractable roof that we could draw back when the clubs we dont like are in town.

Also a proper electronic turnstile system where we could programme it to give fans electic shocks when they put their tickets in and sprays disinfectant down when Pompey are there

Safe standing on 10:04 - Apr 12 with 1032 viewsdirk_doone

There are League One clubs with safe standing, Fratton Park has it.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Safe standing on 10:06 - Apr 12 with 1027 viewsPatfromPoole

Safe standing on 10:04 - Apr 12 by dirk_doone

There are League One clubs with safe standing, Fratton Park has it.

Yeah, only just brought it in.

It’s the future, f’sure.

Safe standing on 10:09 - Apr 12 with 1027 viewsdirk_doone

Safe standing on 09:26 - Apr 12 by PatfromPoole

That was the classic old style football ground with a big covered end for the home fans and a smaller, uncovered end for the away fans. Unfortunately, we didn't really have that at the Dell, which is perhaps why we haven't developed a tradition of having a proper home end.

Highbury springs to mind as a classic ground with that design. What others do you think got it just about right and what do you think the capacity of St Mary's would have been in the old days of terracing? As most old grounds halved their capacity when they installed all-seating, I reckon around 65,000.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2023 11:55]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Safe standing on 19:21 - Apr 12 with 894 viewsSouthSeaSaint

Safe standing on 10:09 - Apr 12 by dirk_doone

That was the classic old style football ground with a big covered end for the home fans and a smaller, uncovered end for the away fans. Unfortunately, we didn't really have that at the Dell, which is perhaps why we haven't developed a tradition of having a proper home end.

Highbury springs to mind as a classic ground with that design. What others do you think got it just about right and what do you think the capacity of St Mary's would have been in the old days of terracing? As most old grounds halved their capacity when they installed all-seating, I reckon around 65,000.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2023 11:55]

Interesting post.

You are correct that The Dell, with two open ends, neither with much capacity, did not lend itself to a 'noisy' home crowd.
This was always noticeable when we used to go to away grounds in the 1960's before the advent of all seater stadia.
I have often wondered what the theoretical capacity of St Marys would have been prior to all seater requirements.
I suppose it all depends on the depth of the terracing which currently is probably comparatively twice what it needs to be to allow for seating compared to the relatively shallow configuration for terracing
Safe standing on 10:52 - Apr 13 with 750 viewsSaintNick

Safe standing on 19:21 - Apr 12 by SouthSeaSaint

Interesting post.

You are correct that The Dell, with two open ends, neither with much capacity, did not lend itself to a 'noisy' home crowd.
This was always noticeable when we used to go to away grounds in the 1960's before the advent of all seater stadia.
I have often wondered what the theoretical capacity of St Marys would have been prior to all seater requirements.
I suppose it all depends on the depth of the terracing which currently is probably comparatively twice what it needs to be to allow for seating compared to the relatively shallow configuration for terracing

You are right with the depth of the terracing, in terms of size it could potentially hold twice the number standing than seats, but the steepness of the stands would not allow for that number, there would be too much danger of surging and crushing.

That means even with safe standing the capacity would be unchanged.

If we could just flatten the rake of the stands a little and convert it to a ground in a more traditional style, then you would probably keep around 17,000 seats, the Itchen stand would remain as it is with 10,000 and the Kingsland Stand would probably retain two thirds of its seats behind a terraced paddock at the front, so around 7,000 seats and 5,000 in the terraced paddock. You could probably achieve this without needing to flatten out the steepness.

If we could just stretch the two stands behind the goal backwards and make them less steep then you would double the approximate 6,000 per end to 12-14,000.

So I would estimate that in a more traditional style St Mary's could have held around 48-49,000 spread between the 17,000 seats and about 31,000 on the 3 sections of terracing

Login to get fewer ads

Safe standing on 11:47 - Apr 13 with 738 viewsPatfromPoole

Safe standing on 10:52 - Apr 13 by SaintNick

You are right with the depth of the terracing, in terms of size it could potentially hold twice the number standing than seats, but the steepness of the stands would not allow for that number, there would be too much danger of surging and crushing.

That means even with safe standing the capacity would be unchanged.

If we could just flatten the rake of the stands a little and convert it to a ground in a more traditional style, then you would probably keep around 17,000 seats, the Itchen stand would remain as it is with 10,000 and the Kingsland Stand would probably retain two thirds of its seats behind a terraced paddock at the front, so around 7,000 seats and 5,000 in the terraced paddock. You could probably achieve this without needing to flatten out the steepness.

If we could just stretch the two stands behind the goal backwards and make them less steep then you would double the approximate 6,000 per end to 12-14,000.

So I would estimate that in a more traditional style St Mary's could have held around 48-49,000 spread between the 17,000 seats and about 31,000 on the 3 sections of terracing

Imagine the ticket office trying to cope with a 48,000 ground 😳

Safe standing on 11:52 - Apr 13 with 736 viewsSaintNick

Safe standing on 11:47 - Apr 13 by PatfromPoole

Imagine the ticket office trying to cope with a 48,000 ground 😳

Yes the demand would be immense, if all those who tell you that they dont go any more because it's not like the old days when it kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday and they could stand return next season we could sell out 48,000 twice over

Safe standing on 12:02 - Apr 13 with 731 viewssaintwizzler

When are the away fans being moved at The Temple of Doom so there can be a Southampton Kop?

Currently this is the reason we have the worse home record in the league and of course the warm lager.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Safe standing on 12:23 - Apr 13 with 721 viewsPatfromPoole

Safe standing on 12:02 - Apr 13 by saintwizzler

When are the away fans being moved at The Temple of Doom so there can be a Southampton Kop?

Currently this is the reason we have the worse home record in the league and of course the warm lager.

I thought it was the Brass Band’s fault.

Or maybe mine, as we have lost every home game I have attended since I ended my boycott 😢

Safe standing on 12:50 - Apr 13 with 705 viewssaintwizzler

Safe standing on 12:23 - Apr 13 by PatfromPoole

I thought it was the Brass Band’s fault.

Or maybe mine, as we have lost every home game I have attended since I ended my boycott 😢

The ending of the death march played by Saints Brass followed effortlessly on the ToD speakers by Kenny Loggins’ hit ‘Danger Zone’ means it’s SHOWTIME!

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Safe standing on 12:52 - Apr 13 with 704 viewsfranniesTache

Putting aside money - which is the actual think stopping them doing it - from what i've been told the itchen north, kingsland corner and northam would all be safe standing were it to be introduced.
Safe standing on 10:43 - Apr 17 with 557 viewsSaintNick

Safe standing on 12:52 - Apr 13 by franniesTache

Putting aside money - which is the actual think stopping them doing it - from what i've been told the itchen north, kingsland corner and northam would all be safe standing were it to be introduced.

From what I hear, you are right the Northam & Kingsland corner would be the obvious safe standing areas, but the itchen North is the flashpoint area, I don't think they would make that safe standing, it gives too much potential for trouble, they also want to encourage people out of that section and into other areas

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024