Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Style of play in the Champ? 09:54 - Jun 8 with 1258 viewssaint901

For my sins I watched a fair number of games from the Champ last season and it seems to me (subjective) that there are three distinct styles displayed there.

The top clubs tend to have a passing game but also an urgency about them to get the ball forward quickly and accurately if they can. equally the defenders can (and do) "get rid" when called upon. Overall a good tactic where opposition teams are sometimes slow to reform after losing the ball.

The mid table clubs tend to try and emulate the PL clubs who like to keep the ball and move the opposition around. That needs a couple of key talents. One is the ability to control and pass the ball quickly. The other is that a player has to be available for a pass and that needs team spirit and attitude. In general however, they seem to have missed out on goal opportunities where they tended to keep the ball rather than get it forward quickly.

The lower level clubs seemed to be closer to Div 1 (3) and there was a reliance upon a long ball - often across the field - and pacy forwards. A much more simple system. Also seem to have a back 6 (4 defenders and two DF) leaving the midfield light in favour of pace up front.

If we lose the expected number of players I'd still hope we'd play like version 1 above.
Style of play in the Champ? on 10:34 - Jun 8 with 1204 viewsPatfromPoole

When did we last get the ball forward quickly?

Other than under Nathan Jones, though that was often diagonal hoofs from one full-back to the other…..

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Style of play in the Champ? on 11:26 - Jun 8 with 1168 viewsdirk_doone

We need a manager who has been successful elsewhere and Russell Martin hasn't.

A team made up of the Saints players that nobody else wants and players that Swansea no longer wants will struggle to win games, whatever style they try to play, unless they have a really inspirational manager.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Style of play in the Champ? on 11:30 - Jun 8 with 1161 viewsTimSaint

I watched a bit of the live Luton v Millwall game earlier this year. 2 teams in the top 6 at the time.

It was not even football. So much hoofing, no real passing, loads of stoppages, constant fouling and no real goal threat. I soldiered on through 20 mins but gave up after that.

TimSaint

Style of play in the Champ? on 11:35 - Jun 8 with 1154 viewsIfonly

Russell Martin is your middle option. Really not too different from what Selles was trying to do in possession, just hopefully better at it. We don't have a choice so hey ho.
Style of play in the Champ? on 11:36 - Jun 8 with 1153 viewsdirk_doone

Style of play in the Champ? on 11:30 - Jun 8 by TimSaint

I watched a bit of the live Luton v Millwall game earlier this year. 2 teams in the top 6 at the time.

It was not even football. So much hoofing, no real passing, loads of stoppages, constant fouling and no real goal threat. I soldiered on through 20 mins but gave up after that.

Watching Bree in the Liverpool game showed the lack of technical ability journeymen Championship players have. He couldn't trap the proverbial bag of cement. Players like that can't do much quickly.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Style of play in the Champ? on 12:45 - Jun 8 with 1088 viewsMattFinish

We'll probably do well by hoofing it forward for Tella and Sulemana
Style of play in the Champ? on 08:32 - Jun 9 with 788 viewssaint901

Except we won't have Tella.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024