Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm worried - passes do not equal goals 13:31 - Jul 31 with 1263 viewssaint901

At the suggestion of my Reading supporting son and in preparation of watching the AZ game, I watched a few of RM's games from the Champ last season.

Very pretty pass and move (or sometimes just pass) and very high possession stats, but not much in the way of attempts on target and not much in the way of the odd shot from range or just throwing in a cross. Walking the ball into the net seems to be the aim.

The AZ game saw a lot of this being repeated.

Last season we suffered because we could not score and were always making defensive errors. I think that the players are in danger of repeating that this season.

I'm aware that the very top clubs use the possession game but they have better quality players who will make fewer errors in every game. I'm a long way from convinced that we have that sort of quality, even in the Champ.

I hope I'm wrong but mid table mediocrity beckons unless we can develop a plan B.
I'm worried - passes do not equal goals on 14:34 - Jul 31 with 1164 viewsSonicBoom

I'm less worried about table position and more worried that it will just be boring to watch.
If we do it well then it is easy on the eye and will result in some lovely goals. However if we aren't too good at it then frankly it is bloody tedious. Endless passing with no end product is perhaps the most frustrating style to watch.
Ralph decided the best way not to concede was to keep the ball and I saw many a game where our players were terrified to lose the ball so took no risks at all. Hence we dominated possession and lost the game.
I really hope that we have an end product as it would be a brilliant season.
I'm worried - passes do not equal goals on 14:44 - Jul 31 with 1145 viewsFlamingbankers

Yes, I agree. You could see Saints trying to ape Man City last year when they just didn't have the technically gifted or suitable players to carry it out. It seems as though RM is going to continue this strategy. We were better against the bigger clubs last year when we stuck to a 4-4-2 with everyone knowing their role, and other players, roles. To try it again is ridiculous and very misjudged. I wish the team would play 4-4-2 and tweak. With a few defenders peddling backwards after yet another failed attack is not progression. A lot of championship managers are experienced and practical, they'll do what happened last year and several before that, they'll just build two narrow blocks of 4 and wait to break. Some 'ambitious' managers think they're Pep when they're not or simply haven't got the players to play like Man City. A lot of Championship teams will be up for the fight whereas, to me, as a whole team, we look lightweight at the moment.
I'm worried - passes do not equal goals on 14:58 - Jul 31 with 1130 viewsDorsetIan

I'm worried - passes do not equal goals on 14:34 - Jul 31 by SonicBoom

I'm less worried about table position and more worried that it will just be boring to watch.
If we do it well then it is easy on the eye and will result in some lovely goals. However if we aren't too good at it then frankly it is bloody tedious. Endless passing with no end product is perhaps the most frustrating style to watch.
Ralph decided the best way not to concede was to keep the ball and I saw many a game where our players were terrified to lose the ball so took no risks at all. Hence we dominated possession and lost the game.
I really hope that we have an end product as it would be a brilliant season.

I agree with this.

'Possession' football can be so grindingly dull.

I think successful football is all about speed - getting behind the defenders before they have time to know what's hit them.

It's so difficult to score when defenders are behind the ball, in their correct positions and with time to think.

After the last few seasons, I'd like something a bit more entertaining !!

But let's see...too early to write off this strategy just yet. I'd also like to see some wins.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

I'm worried - passes do not equal goals on 15:03 - Jul 31 with 1120 viewsA1079

I am no football genius, I just love to watch the game and my team and what I know about coaching or tactics I could write on a postage stamp (if such a thing still exists) but what I feel I have seen all too often with Saints since RH (and what I worry about seeing here) is being "one trick ponies". We find a way to play and keep playing it whether it works or not. The amount of games I have seen where we don't adapt our play, our game or our style or our tactics to suit the conditions or to beat the opposition means we become easy to play against. Be under no illusions - there will be some teams in the Championship who may not be pretty to watch but will not be afraid to physically batter us and make life difficult - and we will be on of those teams everyone will want to beat - especially in the initial stages. So we need to be able to adapt and respond to all sorts of styles and situations. Attitude and mindset will play a key role - no complacency, no arrogant all we have to turn up attitude.

As Sonic and 901 says - possession football is great if there is an end product but if ultimately we just lose because we are not incisive or clinical in attack and invariably at some point we make an error in defence or in goal then all that possession means very little - but good teams with good players do it well and it is attractive to watch.

As regards supporting and watching Saints next season. It is never an issue for me watching Saints no matter which league they are in, but I am hoping it will be more enjoyable and fun because we will hopefully have a more even playing field to compete in and not just trying to survive. I am looking forward to going to some grounds that I have not been to for a while or not at all. My expectations are moderate - I am not expecting automatic promotion - playoffs possible if we get it right but I am thinking around 8th to 10th as the most likely outcome and anything better will be a bonus - not being defeatist just trying to quell any machinations of promotion until it becomes a possibility.
I'm worried - passes do not equal goals on 15:16 - Jul 31 with 1109 viewsSonicBoom

I agree that to score you need to get behind teams. turn them around and make them run toward their own goal. Possession often means you are playing around in front of their back 4 so you need to be really incisive in your passing and finishing to make that count.

A1079 don't worry about tactics. We all know what good football looks like and as one man once said "football is a simple game complicated by idiots".
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024