Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Freak result, avoidable or will we see more? 10:26 - Sep 4 with 1143 viewssaint901

From a purely personal viewpoint.

1. More tinkering with a team which has had a decent start for no easily understandable reason. Bringing in a new signing just because he's a new signing is not good management.

2. Sunderland had the ball for 32% of the time - around 22 minutes. They scored every four minutes they had the ball. That is Sunday park league defending. It's clear that the manager and team need to spend some time of getting the defensive basics right.

3. Pass, pass, pass, shoot? - no pass. It seemed to me that the players wanted to do what the manager asked and keep passing the ball rather than take some ownership and have a go at the goal. Absolutely no point in having 68% of the ball and doing nothing with it.

4. Most worrying, RM thinks that we were played off the park! He's got a squad that makes Sunderland look like beginners and we were played off the park?
Freak result, avoidable or will we see more? on 10:31 - Sep 4 with 1123 viewsPatfromPoole

Every time Sunderland went forward, I felt they would score.

It is very reminiscent of Burley’s first season. We are easy on the eye, but easy to play against.

Kelvin Davis had an appalling goals conceded to shots faced ratio. History has been kind to him in the eyes of many, which has always baffled me.

Bazunu is the new Kelvin Davis.

And Holgate just exacerbated the problem.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Freak result, avoidable or will we see more? on 10:33 - Sep 4 with 1117 viewsSaintNick

I dont think there was that much tinkering, Holgate in for Stephens from the Norwich game was an obvious choice, Mara in for Amo-Ameyaw was strange and so was the omission of Shea Charles

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Freak result, avoidable or will we see more? on 10:42 - Sep 4 with 1104 viewsChesham_Saint

I suspect it’s going to happen again and that Saturday aside, our results have flattered to deceive.
Let’s face it, we were a bit lucky to get a win over QPR, fortunate to scrape a draw against Norwich and from what I’ve read, rode our luck against Plymouth and Wednesday.

So far I haven’t seen anything to convince me that RM isn’t a third rate Pep wannabe. I really hope I’m wrong.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Freak result, avoidable or will we see more? on 10:57 - Sep 4 with 1073 viewsIfonly

The one encouraging thing for me is that in a post match interview RM was focused on the lack of physicality in our game. He said that we lost every duel and didn't make nearly enough runs when we had the ball (to make space to pass in to). He spoke about putting opposition players on their backsides. That was good to hear because that is one of our key problems and certainly was in this game. We were bullied by a bunch of teenagers and played like we thought we were Barcelona under 11s.

If we carry on as we are, we will lose whenever sides challenge us physically, but if RM gets us to both attack and defend more aggressively then we have a chance.
Freak result, avoidable or will we see more? on 11:18 - Sep 4 with 1029 viewsMytchettSaint

I think Saturday was as bad as anything I witnessed last season.

I am just completely baffled by the selection choices.

Bazunu i understand as it really is hobsons choice when it comes to goalkeepers.

Holgate thrown in at the deep end

Mara….why? I don’t see him offering anything but turnover of possession whenever he gets the ball.

Manning hasn’t looked solid when it comes to defending.

I just hope this lad from Man City can offer some defensive nous. We’ve needed the situation there addressed for several seasons now. How can we continue to not fix a glaring flaw?

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Freak result, avoidable or will we see more? on 15:18 - Sep 4 with 823 viewssaint901

I agree that Bazunu was poor.

RM wants two different things simultaneously from the same player. He wants the player to make a run to open up space but also be available for a pass. Can't do both.

And those who say we were out muscled make a valid point. I'd say over half the Champ teams rely on big physical boys and if we can't deal with them, when them?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024