Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sometimes it feels like we have gone back to the Puel era 00:01 - Nov 26 with 1464 viewsA1079

Were we arrogant or complacent today? we did what we so often seem to do - when we have a chance to capitalise on teams around us we seem to disappoint. When we play teams of limited capability we seem to give them a helping hand.

Today's game was a painful watch.

The first half was dull - so dull I was bored to the point it reminded me of the Puel era. Yes, we had loads of possession but did so little with it against a very poor Huddersfield team - but, we went in at half time 1-0 up and you felt that despite the dullness of the half the end justified the means and surely against such poor opposition we would push on - but this team doesn't - we rely so heavily on scoring so few goals - when is the last time we took a team to the sword or put a team to bed when we are clearly on top?

The second half was a woeful performance by us. Yes, 77% possession again but we didn't lay a glove on Huddersfield and to be fair they created more chances, dug in and managed to conjure a goal and get a draw that their endeavour probably deserved. Only in the dying minutes of time added on did we seem to wake up and try to offer some meaningful attack. I am not sure what it is about half time, but yet again we had a poor second half and that has been the case in other games.

9 games unbeaten is not to be sniffed at but in that 9 there have been games we got away with it - today we didn't. Today we lacked creativity, intensity, too slow and pedestrian and for some strange reason we seem to enjoy messing around our own box. When it looked like a forward pass was clearly on, we opted to go sideways and back. Too many players were off today and the subs again seemed late and made little difference. Why Bree was replaced by Manning and what they thought that would achieve was odd. Smallbone was poor today - lightweight and easily brushed off under the slightest pressure and offered little going forward. Downes to be fair covered alot of ground and A Armstrong worked hard though offered little as a striking threat - indeed no one offered a striking threat. S. Armstrong was not as influential as you would expect and Fraser appears better as a sub/impact player than a starter.

Little was great about today's game. There was no atmosphere at the ground and even the Saints away contingent attempt to get something going faded as it was clear the Saints Players were not really up for this. I struggle with RM's arguments about being tired - we have a large squad and we were playing a side with a limited squad - if they are tired now, heaven knows how they are going to cope with December!
Sometimes it feels like we have gone back to the Puel era on 00:10 - Nov 26 with 1443 viewsPatfromPoole

It is as FranniesTache has consistently said.

We are at best a play-off side, but mentally brittle and not good enough to get through the play-offs.

Many people will think this is no bad thing.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Sometimes it feels like we have gone back to the Puel era on 00:27 - Nov 26 with 1421 viewssaint22

Tbh I think Smallbone is lightweight every game I would rather see Shea in there
We appear to have another manager who his completely lacking where in game management is concerned , he can’t switch players or tactics correctly to get the Result we need
His subs are more often wrong than right
Against two poor teams we threw away 4 pts due to poor tactics and awful second halves
Sometimes it feels like we have gone back to the Puel era on 00:56 - Nov 26 with 1400 viewsSouthamptonfan

I watched the goals back and was appalled to see Edozie just stand there for the Huddersfield goal, literally just standing there, no tackle, no shout, no run, just lazily standing there. They are just so annoying these players, at times. Sulemana is clearly capable of more but really isn't giving his best. I think the players found it too easy in the first half, same as when we played Rotherham, then bang out of the blue they equalize and it's easy no more. So yes, it is an arrogance I guess.

As for the atmosphere, I rarely do the long trips anymore as it's such an early start. Cold day too, the fans are probably tired and just haven't got the energy to sing, especially when the game is so boring with little atmosphere. But Leeds also only drew with Rotherham on Friday and their fans were upset but this is the Championship. I keep reminding myself that if we don't go up, so what? This league is still more competitive and unpredictable than the corrupt Premier League.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Sometimes it feels like we have gone back to the Puel era on 04:18 - Nov 26 with 1342 viewssaint22

Sometimes it feels like we have gone back to the Puel era on 00:56 - Nov 26 by Southamptonfan

I watched the goals back and was appalled to see Edozie just stand there for the Huddersfield goal, literally just standing there, no tackle, no shout, no run, just lazily standing there. They are just so annoying these players, at times. Sulemana is clearly capable of more but really isn't giving his best. I think the players found it too easy in the first half, same as when we played Rotherham, then bang out of the blue they equalize and it's easy no more. So yes, it is an arrogance I guess.

As for the atmosphere, I rarely do the long trips anymore as it's such an early start. Cold day too, the fans are probably tired and just haven't got the energy to sing, especially when the game is so boring with little atmosphere. But Leeds also only drew with Rotherham on Friday and their fans were upset but this is the Championship. I keep reminding myself that if we don't go up, so what? This league is still more competitive and unpredictable than the corrupt Premier League.

Not the first game that’s seen Edozie half asleep and lead to us conceding
In fact I think that’s the 5th time
Sometimes it feels like we have gone back to the Puel era on 08:01 - Nov 26 with 1255 viewssaintwizzler

The Puel era I hear you say?

Finishing 8th in the Premier League.
Unlucky to lose a cup final.
Playing in Europe.

Selling our best players and replacing them with inferior ones has got us where we are.
I’m surprised it took so long TBF.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Sometimes it feels like we have gone back to the Puel era on 09:08 - Nov 26 with 1189 viewsButty101

Sometimes it feels like we have gone back to the Puel era on 04:18 - Nov 26 by saint22

Not the first game that’s seen Edozie half asleep and lead to us conceding
In fact I think that’s the 5th time

EDozie by name dozy by nature! Probably playing Xbox all night and can’t concentrate

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Sometimes it feels like we have gone back to the Puel era on 09:23 - Nov 26 with 1163 viewsA1079

Sometimes it feels like we have gone back to the Puel era on 08:01 - Nov 26 by saintwizzler

The Puel era I hear you say?

Finishing 8th in the Premier League.
Unlucky to lose a cup final.
Playing in Europe.

Selling our best players and replacing them with inferior ones has got us where we are.
I’m surprised it took so long TBF.

Good point Saintwizzler and you are right but I was referring more to the long periods in a game where it feels nothing is happening. Puel was criticised for the style. We are getting results but for entertainment factor it is not that exciting - but, the reverse argument - are results more important than entertainment value and in reality they probably are.

It is a personal opinion but from a watching in the stands perspective I was pretty bored by it yesterday - the reverse is - the recent Saints Vs West Brom side was entertaining and good quality at the level we are in - but West Brom probably deserved a draw and we grabbed an important win.
Sometimes it feels like we have gone back to the Puel era on 10:02 - Nov 26 with 1129 viewscocklebreath

Any other teams that have to sub a left back every game to get an inferior one on the pitch?

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Login to get fewer ads

Sometimes it feels like we have gone back to the Puel era on 10:32 - Nov 26 with 1090 viewssledger

Sometimes it feels like we have gone back to the Puel era on 10:02 - Nov 26 by cocklebreath

Any other teams that have to sub a left back every game to get an inferior one on the pitch?

its in his contract isnt it,it just has to be,manning to get game time,bree must be wondering what the fuc+ he has to do to complete 90 minutes
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024