Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis 09:30 - Aug 20 with 949 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/55529/southampton-still-

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 09:59 - Aug 20 with 925 viewsdwayne_dibley

let us all rearrange the deckchairs

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 10:29 - Aug 20 with 883 viewsButty101

I agree with your article, bar a couple things.
Firstly everyman and his dog has been saying we need a centre back for the last 5 years. How the club cant see this i dont know.
Secondly Bednerek is no better /worse than Stephens. I think he looked broken towards the end of last season. So i dont think you can say he is prem class.

More worrying is that Stephens and Mcarthy are in their last year and have been offered new contracts.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 11:54 - Aug 20 with 818 viewsBicester_North

Anyone know what the record is for longest without a clean sheet? We’ve now gone since January 3rd without one in the league. Mental.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 11:55 - Aug 20 with 817 viewsSonicBoom

This season feels like it is really finely balanced.

Looking at the team there are a few players that if they gel we could do relatively well. Armstrong for example. He looks a real goalscorer and if he gets off to a good start that will be a massive bonus.

You can also look at it and say that we are heavy on "potential" but very light on real hardened experience. A really solid commanding CB can transform every team and gives everyone in front of them confidence. I hope that guy arrives quickly whilst the early season confidence is still intact.
Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 12:06 - Aug 20 with 804 viewsVeloSaint

Has Stephens been offered a contract extension? That is worrying if so, we need to be raising the overall standard of our CBs with every acquisition and retaining an average player isn't going to help that, you could argue he also blocks Simeu's pathway to the 1st team.

Forget age, we need a leader, a talker, organiser etc. we have potentially decent partners to that type of player in Salisu and Bednerak. This is uncannily like the season we went down when Svensson was injured. We just needed to replace his leadership, we didn't and we were shaky at the back all season. Cahill may well be a leader, but we need someone who can play 90 mins week in, week out so we rightly have overlooked him. Clock is ticking though..
Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 12:07 - Aug 20 with 802 viewsinthebox

These CB partnerships are rare, we've had some great ones in recent years in fact arguably the best. I'm sure the club are doing their utmost on a budget to come up with a solution but until they do lets hope we score more goals this season than we concede.
Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 12:25 - Aug 20 with 787 viewssaint22

Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 12:07 - Aug 20 by inthebox

These CB partnerships are rare, we've had some great ones in recent years in fact arguably the best. I'm sure the club are doing their utmost on a budget to come up with a solution but until they do lets hope we score more goals this season than we concede.

I think this is Ralph’s plan
I have said it before but he is an offensive manager I don’t think he gives much thought to the defensive side of the game
As we all know the most successful managers ensure they don’t concede firstly then work out the attacking plan
Ralphs consistent tinkering at the back with keepers full backs shape centre backs shows he has no idea what or is best to play defence, instead he aims to out hustle and out score opponents which up to now is looking futile

We really need a quality leader signed to play CB ASAP
Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 12:54 - Aug 20 with 745 views1teeminants

Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 10:29 - Aug 20 by Butty101

I agree with your article, bar a couple things.
Firstly everyman and his dog has been saying we need a centre back for the last 5 years. How the club cant see this i dont know.
Secondly Bednerek is no better /worse than Stephens. I think he looked broken towards the end of last season. So i dont think you can say he is prem class.

More worrying is that Stephens and Mcarthy are in their last year and have been offered new contracts.

I disagree. When Bednarek is on form he’s far better than Stephens . Bednarek looks really good at times and represents his country regularly ,the same can’t be said about Stephens. The trouble is all our defenders make costly mistakes at times .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Login to get fewer ads

Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 14:05 - Aug 20 with 667 viewsTimSaint

Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 11:54 - Aug 20 by Bicester_North

Anyone know what the record is for longest without a clean sheet? We’ve now gone since January 3rd without one in the league. Mental.

I'm sure we won 2-0 away to Sheffield United back in March ?

That's the thing now though. We usually have to score at least one to get draw these days.

TimSaint

Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 14:53 - Aug 20 with 603 viewsBicester_North

Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 14:05 - Aug 20 by TimSaint

That's the thing now though. We usually have to score at least one to get draw these days.

Good point Tim, forgot that rare gem

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 17:43 - Aug 20 with 514 viewsdirk_doone

Southampton Still Have A Central Defensive Crisis on 14:05 - Aug 20 by TimSaint

That's when Ralph brought Forster back. We haven't had any clean sheets with McCarthy this year. The bizarre thing is, after that clean sheet, Ralph picked McCarthy for the next game and he let in 5.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024